xvi. An Almond-Shaped Eyes Young Native

The Tale Keeper: Last Romeo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

xvi. An Almond-Shaped Eyes Young Native

 

Due to exhaustion after climbing one-third of the mountain on the day before, Sunggyu woke up late. He was so tired. Moreover he slept late because after quarrel with the village elders he still had to persuade Sungyeol to be patient.

 

Sunggyu didn't wake up when the rooster crowing at dawn, neither when Sungyeol sneaking out from their room. Sungyeol, who always wake Sunggyu up every morning when they were in their little cabin in Sky Blade, had gone somewhere and left the still sleeping Sunggyu alone. Sungyeol purposely didn't wake Sunggyu up, didn't want to hear another Sunggyu's words that asking him to wait and accomodating.

 

He was awoken by something.

 

Something that he familiar with. Sounds of strings.

 

Sunggyu jerked up. Rubbing his eyes. Stretching out his weary limbs. Before finally stepped out from the stilt house, to the refreshing morning. The sound was faint, but Sunggyu still recognized it. It was impossible for Sungyeol to take his stringed board and play it. Sungyeol was not that talented to play such a beautiful tune.

 

Sunggyu choked. He had just registered that the song was far more alluring than the thrumming of his strings. The notes played neat and nice, with melody he never heard of.

 

Sunggyu skipped the last three stairs.

 

The music came from behind the village, and there was where Sunggyu heading. At the back of the village, flowed a small river. The width was not bigger than three arms, and the water was not deeper than his knee, clear and calm. Big stones lied around the stream. And there, on one of the stones, sat alone elegantly, a young man with local attires. A board was on his lap… No! It looked nothing like Sunggyu's stringed board. It was far more aesthetic…

 

The strings also looked prettier…

 

Sunggyu was dazzled by the silhouette of the young man in front of him. Morning sunshine rayed that man's body. He was looking at the clear river, only half of his face seen by Sunggyu, but at once Sunggyu's heart tinkling.

 

The young man was very gorgeous. His face bright white. His almond-shaped eyes dark in color. He looked attractive with a dimple on his right cheek. Sunggyu trembled as he stepped closer to the young man on the stone. His eyes couldn't stop staring at the breathtaking face.

 

Oh, Mother, how could he have that feeling again?

 

Too focused on the man, Sunggyu was careless with his steps and he tripped over a coral at the bottom of the river. He fell with a thud to the cold water.

 

The music stopped.

 

Quickly Sunggyu straightened his back again. "I'm sorry…" Sunggyu gulped, stared at the startled man who somewhat looked afraid with his presence. Sunggyu's body soaked wet with the water river, as his heart soaked in the music of that young man. But at least the cold water awakened him from his fascination. Sunggyu stepped again. Tripped again. Almost fell, but this time he managed balancing his body on time.

 

"A'right…" The young man spoke a word that Sunggyu didn't understand.

 

Like that time. They had different languages from each other. But now, there's no Heechul. It would be difficult, as hard as when he tried communicating with the elders last night.

 

Slowly the young man looked like he recognized Sunggyu. One of the o'tsider who came last afternoon. People from the outer civilization. People from the bottom of the mountain. In fact he had long wanted to hear stories of outer civilization. So with a smile in his lips, he stepped down from his stone. Approaching Sunggyu.

 

The young man's hand reached for Sunggyu's arm. And for a moment Sunggyu's heart fluttered, unbearable.

 

The man was very good-looking.

 

They didn't exchange words for a few minutes. What must be said when they didn't understand each other languages. At slow pace Sunggyu brushed away his wet hair from his face. The young man stepped back to sit on a big stone again. Sunggyu seated himself on a smaller stone beside him.

 

Sunggyu pointed at his chest. "Sunggyu…" He told the young man his name.

 

He wasn't sure if the young man understand him, but the native replied by showing his pointed finger and thumbs straightened in right angle, his other fingers bended down. L.

 

Sunggyu then pointed at the instrument in that man embrace.

 

"'Arpa…"

 

Sunggyu felt his stomach flutter as the young man said the word. He then reached out his hand, moving his fingers, copying what Sungyeol did last night, may I borrow it?

 

Slowly the young man handed over his 'Arpa.

 

What a beautiful musical instrument. Sunggyu swallowed. It was so delicate and fine compared to his rough stringed board, and even to his old fiddle. The strings felt comfortable to be played. All the notes was perfect, didn't miss even one pitch. Carried away by his fondness and astonishment over the beautiful instrument, Sunggyu played a song. A song that he composed in the night when he was greeted by Admiral Lee Howon for the first time.

 

A song that created unintentionally.

 

The young man was stunned. What a lovely song. And when Sunggyu stopped plucking the strings, the man said something. Sunggyu didn't know what did it mean, but he understand what did he want, just like when he met Woohyun for the first time in that most beautiful city.

 

"Please play a special song for me!"

 


--

 


The dealings about the mountain top got more difficult for Sungyeol, the elders kept insisting with their taboo and refused the permission. And Sunggyu was also not helping, at all. Sungyeol was aware that Sunggyu was too busy with an almond-shaped eyes native.

 

Two days passed without progress. Now wherever Sungyeol went, the elders had assigned two younglings guarding him, equipped with their big machete.

 

Sungyeol fumed, walked up and down, and stealthily looked for the best route to the alp. Still hoping he could sneak his way up. Regrettably the only route t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter