Chapter Seven

Heartbreakers & Hershey Kisses

Taemin’s POV

I laid face-up on my bed, holding my phone out and scrolling half-heartedly through a social networking feed. Everything I looked at was about prom, prom, and—surprise!—more prom. I sighed, rolling over, and sent a call.

“Hey Taeminnie, what’s up?” Jonghyun picked up on the second ring.

“Nothing much, hyung. I was just wondering if you wanted to go shopping later today,” I said, trying not to sound too bored.

“Sure. How about around twelve, though? I’m working out with Onew hyung.”

I choked on my own surprised laughter. “What? Onew works out?”

“Uh, yeah, Minnie,” Jonghyun replied, in a duh kind of way. “How else would he burn off all that chicken?”

“Good point,” I admitted. “Okay, so I’ll see you around twelve then. Bye!”

I procrastinated for another hour or so before grabbing some cash and dropping a note on the counter to let my parents know where I was going. Right on time, Jonghyun hyung pulled up in front of my house, and I hopped into his car. While we drove to the local mall, Jonghyun told me about Onew breaking the pull-up bar during their workout, resulting in me dying of laughter by the time we reached the mall.

“And then—and then he said, ‘Maybe I should just stick to eating chicken’,” Jonghyun finished breathlessly, wiping tears of mirth from his eyes. I keeled over in laughter as I imagined Onew picking himself up off the floor, pouting and holding the unfortunate chin-up bar.

“Guess some things aren’t for everyone,” I smirked, finally recovering and getting out of the car. Jonghyun followed suit, and we walked into the mall together.

“So, where to?” he asked. I glanced around the mall; it was still fairly empty, but would fill up soon since it was the weekend. We passed a store with prom dresses in the display window, and I unintentionally groaned. Jonghyun turned to look at me in surprise, then followed my gaze. His eyes lit up with comprehension, and when he smiled, there was something I didn’t quite like about that smile—something I couldn’t pinpoint.

“Actually, come to think of it, I need to start looking at some tuxes for prom. You don’t mind, do you, Taeminnie?” Jonghyun asked innocently. Before I could answer, he had grabbed my arm and dragged me into the store. “What the heck, hyung,” I grumbled, but didn’t protest further. After all, it wasn’t like I had much of a choice.

I stood there awkwardly, my hands stuffed into the pockets of my pants, while Jonghyun took his time perusing the aisles. Glancing around the store, I saw quite a few couples browsing, and it wasn’t helping my mood at all. Especially not that one couple by the dressing rooms, with the blonde guy and the girl who looked like Minji trying on dresses—wait, what?

I squinted my eyes, looking closer—and saw that the girl didn’t just look like Minji. She was Minji. And she was turning this way.

Without thinking, I grabbed Jonghyun hyung and pulled him behind a shelf, knocking a bowtie off of it in the process. He cursed, picking the bowtie up and putting it back on the shelf before turning to glare at me. “What’s your problem, Minnie?” he demanded.

“She’s here,” I gasped, my heart beating unnaturally fast. “Minji’s here. With…with a guy.

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows. “Is that so?” he said, in a tone I couldn’t quite distinguish. Before I could stop him, he poked his head out from behind the shelf to look.

“Stop it! What if she sees you?” I hissed, pulling him back.

“So? What’s the big deal? You guys have been broken up for over a month now,” Jonghyun pointed out, indifferent to the fact that his words hit me like a punch to the gut. Man. Had it really already been that long?

Before I knew what I was doing, I had stuck my head out from behind the shelf to peer at Minji. She was in a baby pink prom dress, twirling, the skirt swishing around her legs and a radiant smile gracing her lips. Her presumed date, the blonde dude with dark eye circles, was staring at her with his mouth hanging slightly open, completely enamored. And who could blame him? Minji was beautiful in every way, covering with her hand as she tipped her head back to laugh. I ducked back behind the shelf again with a pang, realizing that I couldn’t remember the last time that lovely smile had been directed towards me.

I sighed, too caught up in this thought to notice Jonghyun hyung looking at me closely, concerned. He spoke softly. “Taemin?”

I jumped and looked around, forgetting for a moment where I was before quickly straightening up and smoothing down my shirt. “Let’s go,” I said, trying to keep my voice unreadable. Jonghyun obediently complied, and by a roundabout-weaving route that hopefully stayed out of Minji’s line of vision, we exited the store.

We walked back to the car, me deep in thought and Jonghyun quiet beside me. We got in, and before he started the car, Jonghyun turned to face me, a serious look on his face. “Tae. Are you alright? You seem…”

“I’m fine,” I snapped, turning my head to scowl out the window. “…on edge,” Jonghyun finished. When I didn’t reply, he sighed and started the car, pulling out of the parking lot.

The ride home was fraught with tense silence, but I didn’t feel compelled to fill it. All I could think about was Minji in that prom dress, clinging to the arm of some other guy. And for some reason, it was breaking my heart.

We pulled up in front of my house, and I got out, mumbling a thanks to Jonghyun. I was halfway to my front door when I heard him call out, “Taemin, wait.”

I stopped and turned to see Jonghyun standing beside his car. He looked at me for a moment, and then said in a gentle voice I’d never heard him use before, “You don’t have to do this to yourself.”

“W-what?” I stuttered, though I had a feeling I knew what he was talking about.

Jonghyun gave me a knowing look. “You still love her, don’t you?”

I swallowed, unable to reply. Jonghyun sighed.

“If you do—if you really love Minji, and want her back—you need to apologize. Make things right.”

“Make things…right?” I said softly, almost to myself. And I realized that Jonghyun was spot on. There was no way I could even begin to feel okay again if I didn’t apologize to Minji. If I didn’t tell her how much I missed her, how much I longed to hold her hand…

“But if you’re going to apologize, you’d better do it soon,” Jonghyun continued, breaking into my thoughts. He looked me in the eyes, a frank expression on his face.

“Because, if you don’t, someone else is going to take her.”

As I watched his car turn the corner and disappear, I knew deep down inside that he was right. Minji was way too kind, beautiful, and altogether irresistible for another guy to not fall in love with her and claim her as his own.

But to hell with me if I was gonna stand by and watch it happen.  

 

 

 

 

A/N:  Jealous Taemin = Scary Taemin. O.O

 

ughh but really, it's about time...