Chapter Fourteen

Heartbreakers & Hershey Kisses

Thursday afternoon found me sitting in a karaoke booth next to my ninth date of the week—Chen, a third year with almond-shaped eyes and lips that turned up at the corners. He was yet another great-looking guy, with an almost constantly frank expression on his face—except when he broke out into this amazing smile, which he did just now after some witticism or another that I’d cracked.

“Man, that’s gold. You’re a real riot, Choi Minji,” he laughed, and I couldn’t help but stare at his blindingly white smile in amazement. How in the world did Jonghyun just happen to be friends with a bunch of guys who look like friggin’ Kpop stars?

I was still puzzling over this mysterious question, which I’d asked myself about fifty-bazillion times this week, when suddenly the door to our karaoke room burst wide open. Chen and I turned simultaneously to look as a slightly disheveled guy with windswept hair hurried in, panting “Sorry I’m late…“ Upon seeing me and Chen, he stopped abruptly, his mouth dropping open. “Chennie?” he gasped.

Baek?” Chen replied incredulously from beside me, answering my silent question of who this attractive newcomer was. “What the hell, man? What are you doing here?”

The flustered boy stared at him, then at me, and then back at Chen again. “U-uh…Key hyung told me to come here this morning to meet…” His baffled gaze returned to me, and his mouth dangled open slightly for a moment. “…a-ah…Choi Minji.”

I quickly stood up, bowing politely. “That would be me,” I said, straightening up again and giving him a smile. “Nice to meet you, um…”

“Baekhyun,” he broke in hastily, bowing in return. “Byun Baekhyun. I’m…I’m the same year as Chen.” As he said this, he turned to offer a sheepish smile to his friend, who scowled in response.

“Baek. You knew I was meeting Minji here today—there’s absolutely no way this was an accident.” Chen glared at him, his formerly lighthearted tone suddenly dangerous. Baekhyun, looking discomfited, gave a little shrug and then shuffled over to sit on my right. Chen stared daggers at him the entire time, then dropped beside me on the left and started flipping through the list of songs. “So, Minji, what did you want to sing?” he asked sweetly, the epitome of Mr. Charming Date once more.

“Oh. Um—I don’t really have any personal preference,” I answered awkwardly, trying to ignore the evident tension in the room. “I’m…not a very good singer.”

“Come on, I’m sure that’s not true,” Chen chuckled, continuing to run his finger down the list. Suddenly Baekhyun reached over me and, lightning-fast, whipped the song directory out of his hands. “Hey!” Chen exclaimed in outrage, leaning across to try and snatch it back. I flattened myself against the back of the couch uncomfortably, praying for escape, as Chen continued to protest and Baekhyun sniggered beside me.

No sooner had the thought crossed my mind when suddenly…

Dun dun dun duh-dun dun duh-dun dun

Dance, dance, dance, dance

Dibidibi (Oh!) Dibidibi (Oh!) Dibidibi (Oh!) Dibidibi (Oh!)

Oh (oh!) Oh (oh!) Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

Baekhyun and Chen both froze as the sound of Super Junior’s “Sorry Sorry” filled the air. Then hastily Baekhyun pulled out his phone. “Excuse me,” he said, quickly hopping up to answer the call. “Hello?”

The tinny sound of an infuriated voice that sounded suspiciously like Key’s screeched out of the phone, and Baekhyun winced, holding it further away from his ear. He turned his back to me, taking a few steps away as he mumbled a response, but I still caught a few snippets of Key’s words.

“…completely inconsiderate…making her feel uncomfortable…remember what we told you guys…”

“I’m sorry, you’re right hyung,” Baekhyun muttered, his shoulders hunched in shame. After a few more moments of whispered conversation, he hung up, turning back around to face us. There was an awkward silence, in which both of the boys suddenly wore abashed looks on their faces. I cleared my throat.

“Um…what was Key talking about when he said to remember what he and the others told you?”

Baekhyun stared at his shoes. Chen suddenly became very interested in the picture hanging on the wall. I sighed, deciding to let it go.

“Nevermind. Anyways…shall we get back to karaoke?” I suggested.

Baekhyun perked up. “Sure,” he said brightly, grabbing the song list again. “My ringtone gave me an idea.”

A few moments later, the sound of “Sorry Sorry” filled the room again. Chen and Baekhyun each held a microphone in their hand as they stood in front of the TV screen, which had the lyrics floating by, complete with bright colors and flashy graphics. I struggled to contain my laughter as I watched them do the iconic dance while simultaneously trying to sing into their mics.

Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry

Naega naega naega meonjeo

Nege nege nege ppajyeo

Ppajyeo ppajyeo beoryeo baby

Both their voices were actually surprisingly good. Chen’s had this strong clarity to it, while Baekhyun’s was lower and huskier. But, though they sounded great, they looked a bit…ridiculous. Like they were trying to outdo one another.

“You’re on the wrong side, Baek!” Chen sneered, as they went into the dance break. “Am not!” Baekhyun retorted, his brow creased in concentration. I couldn’t help myself and let a little giggle escape, which turned into a huge guffaw as the song ended and both boys turned around to stare at me.

“That…that was great, guys,” I wheezed, holding my stomach and trying to catch my breath. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Baekhyun and Chen exchange bewildered looks, which only made me want to laugh harder. However, for their sake I reined it in, wiping the tears of mirth from my eyes and sitting up.

“Well, it’s your turn now Minji,” Chen said, handing me the microphone before I could protest. “I’m tired.” For extra emphasis, he flopped down onto the couch beside me like a rag doll.

Baekhyun followed suit, clutching his side and wincing. “I think I have a stitch in my side,” he groaned.

I looked from one boy to the other, indignant. “Really?  One song and you’re completely burned out?” I rolled my eyes, sighing and getting up. “Fine. But after I go, you guys have to do another one. And I get to pick it.” An evil light glinted in my eye, but Chen and Baekhyun didn’t catch it.

“Sounds good to me,” Chen smirked, obviously thinking he had gotten the better end of the deal. I turned to face the TV, hiding my wicked smile.

Scrolling through the list of songs, I finally settled on “Lonely” by 2NE1. As the beginning notes started, I took a deep breath, lifting the mic to my lips. Here goes nothing…

I sang the sad lyrics by heart, ignoring the words scrolling through the screen in front of me. The truth was, after breaking up with Taemin, I had played this song on repeat and listened to it over and over. I don’t know why—it had just helped to soothe my raw emotions.

I’m sorry

Here’s the ending to our story

When we’re close I still feel like we’re worlds apart

I can’t stay, cause with you baby

I’m so lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely

Baby I’m so lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely…

As I sang, I remembered all those sleepless nights spent curled up in bed, listening to this song in tears. Before I knew it, the song had ended, and I opened my eyes—which I hadn’t even realized were closed—to find that the wetness I’d felt on my cheeks was more than just a memory.

Embarrassed, I brushed the tears away hurriedly, hoping Chen and Baekhyun hadn’t noticed. Then I turned around—and froze. Both boys were staring at me with wide eyes, their expressions a mixture of awe and sympathy. “Guys…?” I sniffled hesitantly.

“I…I’ve never been so emotionally moved by this song before,” Chen said suddenly, still staring at me. “It makes me feel ashamed of my own ability.”

“Me too,” Baekhyun chimed in, and I turned to look at him in surprise. Seeming almost tearful, he blubbered, “That…was seriously…” Without warning he jumped up and threw his arms around me, burying his head into my shoulder. I stumbled backwards in shock, but after a moment laughed and patted him on the back. What a big baby.

Baek!” Chen hissed sharply, and abruptly Baekhyun jumped backwards, pulling his arms off of me. “Sorry,” he mumbled in shame, and slowly shuffled away to sit back down on the couch. I felt myself smile, despite the emotions swirling through my body like a freshly-opened wound, and then suddenly I remembered the deal.

“Hey, I sang a song for you, just like you asked,” I said, winking at them deviously. “And now…you have to hold up your part of the agreement.”

“Fine,” Chen said, eyeing me a bit apprehensively as he got up. “What do you want us to sing?”

I turned back to the TV, scrolling through the list—and then stopped, hovering over the song I had in mind. When Chen and Baekhyun read the title, their eyes widened in horror. I cackled gleefully, handing them the mics. “Have fun,” I said.

Aha!

Listen boy

My first love story…

 

 

 

 

A/N: I listened to Sorry Sorry while typing this chapter :D

Also, Suju's comeback looks awesome lol. I'm super excited and I'm not even an ELF!