Sinking deeper

Intoxicated

Hyung Jun toyed with the Dunhill silver Knot and Rot cufflinks he found on the table nervously as he waited for Young Saeng to wake up. He has been to Young Saeng's house so many times but he still felt anxious and jittery every time. Young Saeng's house was too...expensive. Luxury items were lying around everywhere. Items that Young Saeng had bought on credit. Omega watches, Bacarrat crystal wine glasses, Gucci shoes, museum quality art...Hyung Jun couldn't help but to cringe as he thought about how Young Saeng needs to stop his compulsive shopping behavior. He knew that it was still difficult for Young Saeng to accept that life was not going to be the same as before but it's time for Young Saeng to face reality.

"Jun, why are you here in my house? What's with that serious look on your face?"

" Hyung, let's talk." Hyung Jun took in a deep breath, determined not to let Young Saeng's pitiful and frail look inundate his words as it had for the last few days. 

"There's nothing much to talk about...." Young Saeng tried escaping back into his room but Hyung Jun had grabbed on to his arms tightly. 

"No hyung! Sit down and listen to me!!" 

"I don't want to... I know what you want to say... but I need time. More time...."

"Young Saeng hyung!!"

"Fine..."

"Hyung, it has been months but you still have not improved the slightest bit! Spending money frivolously as if they grow on trees. Don't you know that you need to stop this??!! It's time for you to wake up or you will really be destroyed!"

"I'm already destroyed, isn't it? Didn't you know it?"

"Hyung! Why are you giving up just because you failed once? You always said during interviews that your motto was to never stop trying. You always told me that the difference between failure and success lies in the ability to persevere. Liar! You just stopped trying after you failed.You simply gave up on yourself, trying to escape from reality by purchasing all these luxury items.." Hyung Jun glared furiously at Young Saeng as he pointed to the cufflinks he was toying with earlier.

"What right do you have to say this to me? I tried...I tried my hardest but what can I do? I have been in the spotlight for so long, how do you expect me to live like a normal person? I'm trying...I need more time, more time..." Young Saeng was already tearing. 

"Hyung, its time for you to face the music. Didn't you say yesterday that your father is going to undergo an intestinal transplant soon? You, hyung, sitting there feeling depressed and miserable all day will not be of any help to uncle. These luxury items you purchased just last week. How is that useless Preston Bailey Peacock Floral Sculpture or Gucci 30 Carat Diamond Belt relevant to your life right now? You bought them on credit so how are you intending to pay for it? Hyung, I have been trying to help you as much as I can but I'm only an average office worker. You need to save yourself, hyung, before others can help you..."

"Jun, what am I supposed to do then?? I'm just a nobody. Unpopular, useless and unwanted. I don't know what I am supposed to do.. I left school when I was 17 to pursue my career. I don't have any other talents. Who's going to hire me? Noone...."

"Hyung... Actually I know someone who might be interested. It pays really well but.......... never mind... I don't think you will be interested in it."

"Tell me! I will do anything within my means!! My dad needs the money urgently."

"Never mind. I think you will be angry if I suggested it to you......"

"NO JUN! Tell me about it first..."

"Uhm........... Young Saeng hyung, you know I work in Kim Corporations right? Uhm...........actually......two days ago, I was summoned to meet the CEO. He found out from another source that I'm your close friend so he wanted me to ask if................uhm.. I think it's better for me not to say it."

"Continue, I have a right to know, Jun. I am desperate.."

" Uhm.. He wanted me to ask if... he can purchase you for his daughter's 21st birthday. Purchase, as in your time...and your body.." 

An awkward silence filled the room. The tension in the room seemed to grow to be almost tangible. Young Saeng could only open his mouth as he tried to register what he just heard. He has just become an item to be sold. Even though exchanging one's body for money, acting roles or fame to was not new in the entertainment industry, Young Saeng has always prided himself for being "clean". How could he become a mere commodity? How could he put his dignity and pride so low as to be someone else's birthday present??

"Hyung, sorry. I shouldn't have mentioned it to you when I knew you would be hurt by it. Sorry hyung...."

"No, Jun... I know I don't have much of a choice, can you..........arrange a meeting with him for me please?" Young Saeng finally replied after what seemed like an eternity.

"Young Saeng hyung"

"Do it..."