It’s only tears that I’m crying

Intoxicated

Going nowhere.

There's nowhere he should or need to go. He did not belong anywhere.

Young Saeng walked over to the bar in a remote area of Itawon and inhaled deeply as he entered. It was familiar and comforting. The smell of alcohol. The dimly-lit bar was where he had spent almost two entire months drinking and hiding. It was where Young Saeng hid himself from the world and drown his sorrows.

“Jun, get me another bottle of soju…”

“You have had enough to drink Young Saeng. You need to go home soon… Ugh. Why are you drinking even more than usual..??” Hyung Jun propped Young Saeng up so that he could talked to Young Saeng better. There’s something wrong with Young Saeng today. Even with his recent troubles, he did not drink so much normally. Young Saeng had just finished three bottles of the rice wine by himself and was paralytic.

“What happened to you today?”

“It’s nothing…” Young Saeng did not want to trouble his friend with another problem but his obvious pained expression gave him away.

“Saeng,, you know you can trust me right….”

“It’s just…….I don’t know what to do anymore….I have problems paying my instalments already….and…today…my mum…called to tell me…that dad needs to… undergo an intestinal transplant… how am I supposed to… pay for it…why….” Young Saeng buried his face in his best friend’s arm, as if unwilling to let anyone see his weak side. He was trembling. Choked sobs escaped his lips.

“It’s okay, Saeng. It’s okay… I will help you think of something…It’s okay” Hyung Jun could only watch and comfort Young Saeng. He had already loaned Young Saeng a substantial sum of money despite his own difficulties. He wanted to help him but there was nothing more he could do. He needed to think of a solution. 

"How did my...life turn out this way... Is this really the...end..." 

"Young Saeng, it's not the end. We will find a way!" 

“Why is this happening to me?!?! Hahahahaha…” Young Saeng let out a strangled laugh before allowing himself to fall into the pit of nothingness.

_______________________________________________

It was the third time this week that Hyung Jun had to take Young Saeng home as he was too drunk to even stand up straight. He sighed as he keyed the passcode to enter Young Saeng's luxurious mansionette in the Gangnam-gu area. He had encouraged Young Saeng to move to a less costly apartment but Young Saeng had refused because he would be embarrassed. Young Saeng had exclaimed that only people with status could afford to stay there and that he was one of them. Young Saeng could not afford to lose his dignity and there was nothing Hyung Jun could do about it. 

"I still want to drink..." 

"No, we are already home. Let's go and get some rest..." Hyung Jun was supporting Young Saeng to his bedroom when he caught sight of a familiar colorful paper bag. He could already guess what was inside. Hyung Jun took a deep breath to convince himself to bring Young Saeng to his bed before he checked what was in the bag.

"Goodnight" Hyung Jun dragged himself out of the room after making sure that Young Saeng was fast asleep. He went over to the paper bag lying in an inconspicuous corner of the living room. Was Young Saeng trying to hide this again? He thought to himself as he opened the bag. 

He cringed. 

It was a brown Bleecker Babin Bag by Coach. The price tag was still on it. Nine hundred and fifteen thousand Won. Hyung Jun could feel the blood inside him beginning to boil. Young Saeng still could not control his spending addiction. Young Saeng had just purchased a Suede Calf Derby from A. Testoni barely a week ago! He was still spending frivolously even when he had to borrow money from Hyung Jun to settle his monthly instalments. 

Hyung Jun needed to talk to Young Saeng when he was sober. He had already warned Young Saeng numerous times but his words had always fell on deaf ears. Perhaps Young Saeng needed something harsher. Hyung Jun needed to bring Young Saeng back to reality, especially at such a critical time when he needed a huge sum of money for his father's operation. 

"Young Saeng ah...." Hyung Jun exhaled deeply as he took one last glance at the Coach bag before leaving.

Young Saeng could not hear him.