Chapter Seven -- Days Seventeen & Nineteen

49 Days

 

Awakening in a strange place without any idea as to how you got there is disorienting and terrifying. It had happened to Ryeowook twice in his life, once before and once now. He tried to not think about what had happened to him the first time as much as possible, but finding himself again in the position made the memories try to push their way to the surface once more. He lay frozen in shock and confusion after opening his eyes the next morning until he heard a knock on the door.

“Sleep well?” That was Kim Jongwoon’s voice. Wait. What?

Ryeowook slowly sat up as Yesung approached the side of the bed, nodding. He pushed the memories back into the deepest, darkest corner of his brain, determined to keep them there. “Uh-huh…hyung, where—”

“Oh, sorry; you’re at my house. You feel asleep in the car last night and I didn’t know where your apartment was, so I just brought you here.”

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to fall asleep, I just—”

“Wookie, I don’t mind, honestly! You’re my friend; you’re welcome in my house.”

It was then that the amount of light streaming through the windows actually registered in Ryeowook’s brain and he practically shot out of bed. “I’m late for work!”

Yesung rolled his eyes. That was his work-a-holic friend for you… “No, you’re not. I called Leeteuk hyung earlier and he said it was okay for you to come in late this morning and that Coco Bean probably wouldn’t open until a little before lunch anyway because he had to clean up the kitchen.”

Ryeowook breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks, hyung!”

“C’mon, I’ve got breakfast downstairs.”

Ryeowook followed Yesung out of the room, looking around in wonder. The house was so beautiful, but seemed far too large for just one person.

“Do you live here alone?”

Yesung nodded. “Yeah.”

“Isn’t it lonely?”

“Sometimes,” the older man admitted. “But I stay pretty busy so it’s not too bad. If you ever want to come over, feel free.”

“Kay…” Ryeowook nearly died when he saw the kitchen; it was glorious. He loved to cook but the little kitchen in his apartment was not good for experimenting and making grand meals. This kitchen…this kitchen was full of state-of-the-art appliances (that looked like they’d barely been touched) and was absolutely huge. It was like a dream.

Yesung motioned toward the table. “Breakfast,” he said. “Sorry I don’t have anything better.” The table was filled with sloppily-cut fruits, cereals, and toast. “I’m not the best cook, so I don’t keep too much around the house, honestly.”

Ryeowook smiled. “This’ll be great hyung! I’m going to go ahead and go to Coco Bean after this so I won’t be bugging you anymore. Is there a bus stop near here?”

“Oh, I’ll drive you by Coco Bean. I have to head into town myself, so I can drop you off.”

“You don’t have to do that, hyung. I don’t want to be any trouble!”

“It’s not any trouble, Wookie! Besides, you’ll get there faster if I drive you.”

“Well…thanks, hyung, I really appreciate it.” That innocent smile made Yesung’s morning all that much better.

“No problem, Ryeowook.” Yesung smiled back at him, marveling at the happiness being around one certain person could bring. 

~~~

Toward the end of the week on Friday afternoon, before his voice lesson, a certain university student appeared in Coco Bean, much to the surprise of the two employees there; they had been drawing mustaches on some of the carry-out cups and both looked up like thieves caught in the act of stealing crown jewels when the bell above the door twinkled.

“Kyuhyunnnnn!” Sungmin ran around the counter, hugging the young man tightly. “Why didn’t you tell me you were taking voice lessons? Wookie told me on Wednesday!”

Kyuhyun cast a quick glare at Ryeowook, who simply shrugged with an expression that clearly said “you didn’t tell me that I couldn’t tell anyone, so I obviously did.”

“It’s not that big of a deal, Minnie hyung…”

“Yes it is! Ryeowook said you’ve really improved!”

Another glare and another shrug in response.

“Look, I just came in here to grab something before my lesson. My throat hurts so I wanted some of Ryeowook’s special honey tea.”

Ryeowook grinned, glad to be useful. “Coming right up, Kyu!”

“If your throat hurts, you should cancel your lesson. You need to take care of your health, Kyu.”

Kyuhyun sighed, rolling his eyes. “I don’t want to cancel my lesson. I like going to them. Yesung hyung is really helpful and I’ve learned a lot. Besides, the song we’re working on right now is really fantastic.”

“But if you don’t take care of yourself—”

“Hyung, I’m going no matter what you say, so you really should just give up now instead of dragging this out.”

“Kyuuuu!”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow and Sungmin fell silent, finally deciding to just give up on trying to convince him to do something he didn’t want to do. That never ended well. Ryeowook bounced over a second later, steaming cup in hand.

“One cup of Kim Ryeowook’s special Honey Tea, at your service!” he chirped, holding it out to Kyuhyun. The younger man took it, letting the sweet liquid coat his throat; it was completely delicious, warming him to the bone after his freezing journey through the snow.

“Good? Is it helping?”

Kyuhyun nodded, closing his eyes as he took another sip from the ceramic cup. “It’s delicious and really makes my throat feel not so rough.”

Ryeowook smiled; “I’m glad it helps, Kyu!” A soft twinkling sounded and he waved happily to the man in the doorway. “Hi, Jongwoon hyung! Café latte?”

“Yes please, Wookie!”

“Coming right up!” Ryeowook hurried off behind the counter for a second time as Yesung approached the other two, surprised to see Kyuhyun there.

“Hey, Kyu. What’re you doing here?”

“Because his th—” Kyuhyun slapped a hand over Sungmin’s mouth before the older man could continue and smiled innocently at his vocal coach.

“Just wanted to come see my friends and get something warm to drink after walking in the snow,” he explained, lying easily and completely ignoring Sungmin’s angry glares.

Ryeowook noticed what was going on and quickly called out, “Minnie hyungggg! Can you go check on the cookies in the back? I think they’re almost done baking!”

Sungmin, not at all happy, marched off toward the kitchen, mumbling under his breath the entire time about how Kyuhyun was going to get sick and that no one cared but him. Ryeowook took Yesung’s drink over to him a few minutes later, smiling.

“Are you busy tonight, hyung?”

“I have to drop by the SM building after Kyuhyun’s lesson, but I’m completely free after that. Want to do something?”

Ryeowook nodded, ecstatic. “Yeah. Can we go to Namsan Park again? I love it there.”

“Uh-huh. When do you get off work?”

“We’re closing early today and tomorrow, since it’s almost our vacation time. Tonight I think we’re closing at eight-thirty. I can meet you there at nine fifteen, maybe? Is that okay, or is that too late?”

“Nope, that’s fine! I’ll wait right outside the gate!”

“Thanks, hyung!”

“Have you been having anymore nightmares?” Yesung asked curiously, thinking about the little teddy bear he’d bought his friend earlier that week.

“Nope!” Ryeowook shook his head. “I think my bear really does ward off bad dreams!” he giggled, thinking to himself, “It works because it makes me think of you and then I feel safe.

“Well, I’m glad.” Yesung smiled as he glanced over at Kyuhyun. “Want to go ahead and go to the shop? I can give you a lift.”

“Yeah; thanks hyung.” Kyuhyun, who’d been watching the exchange with an amused sort of evil grin on his face, looked back at Sungmin, who’d seen the second half of the conversation from the doorway leading to the kitchen. “Sungmin hyung! I need to talk to you and Teukie hyung later! I’ll text you!”

“Kay!” Sungmin called back, pretty sure they were thinking about the exact same thing at that moment. “I’ll tell Eeteuk hyung!”

Sungmin and Ryeowook both waved as Yesung and Kyuhyun made their way out of the shop, already discussing the song they’d been working with. The younger employee picked up Kyuhyun’s abandoned cup and went back to wash it; Sungmin tactfully made his way over to him.

“So, you’re going to meet up with Yesung tonight?”

“Uh-huh!” The happiness in his voice was clearly evident.

“What is this – the fourth time this week?”

“No!” Obviously defensive. “This is only the second.”

“And isn’t Namsan Park where a lot of couples go when—”

No, it is a nice, friendly, public park that anyone can go to anytime they want with their friends! Sungmin hyung, Yesung hyung and I are friends, okay?” Ryeowook made a face at the other man and went back to cleaning the dishes, shaking his head.

Sungmin could have pulled his hair out in frustration: why wouldn’t that boy even admit to himself that he liked Kim Jongwoon?

~~~

Namsan Park was morphing into Yesung and Ryeowook’s ideal meeting place. After Ryeowook got off work, he caught a bus and headed toward the park, meeting Yesung just outside the entrance. The pair almost immediately headed off, walking slowly around the lake and enjoying the freshly-fallen snow that sparkled under the lights that were spread throughout the area.

“Ever since I was little,” Ryeowook started, stuffing his hands in his pockets, “I’ve always loved the snow. It represents a sort of purity, an innocence that you don’t find a whole lot of other places. It’s really special, I think. It makes me think of those times in my life when everything was so simple and easy.” He smiled, looking out at the lake. “And frozen lakes are even prettier.”

Yesung glanced over at the younger man, who was shivering slightly in the cold; Ryeowook hadn’t worn his warmest winter jacket to work that morning because he hadn’t expected to be spending time in the snow. Asking if they could go to the Park had really been a spur-of-the-moment kind of decision. Without really thinking about the consequences, Jongwoon wrapped his arms around the younger man from behind.

“To warm you up,” he murmured when he felt Ryeowook tense up slightly. “You seemed cold.”

The pair stood like that in silence for a while, neither one daring to move. Ryeowook could feel his heart beat slowing to normal as the pose became more comfortable, more natural

Yesung was the one to finally break the long silence. “You remind me of the snow.”

“I do? How so?” Ryeowook unconsciously leaned back into Jongwoon’s chest, thankful for the warmth.

“You have an innocence that you don’t find a whole lot of other places. You make people feel safe. That’s a really good quality to have.”

Ryeowook flushed light pink, obviously embarrassed but simultaneously pleased by the statement. “Thanks, hyung.”

Yesung just smiled, keeping his eyes on the frozen lake in front of them. He was scared that if he moved or spoke, the magic of this moment would be broken and Ryeowook would leave his arms. The thought of that happening, surprisingly, really upset him.

Ryeowook was the one to break the silence this time. “We’re going to meet at Siwon hyung’s house at three for the Christmas party. We’re going to eat later, too, and just have a good time. Is that okay with you?”

“Yeah, that sounds great,” Yesung breathed out. “Wait. I don’t know where Siwon-shii’s house is.”

“Oh, right.” Ryeowook giggled. “What if you picked me up by Coco Bean and I told you how to get there? Would that be okay?”

“Wouldn’t it be easier for me to pick you up from your apartment?”

“Oh, no, hyung. Um…I don’t…no, picking me up from Coco Bean is easier, trust me.”

Jongwoon just sighed softly. “Okay, okay, I’ll pick you up at the coffee shop. What time?”

“Maybe two fifteen? I want to make sure we have enough time to get there.”

“Sounds good. I’ll be there.”

Ryeowook smiled, looking up at the sky. “I’m excited, hyung. This is going to be a really fun party. You’ll be best friends with everyone by the end of the night, I promise!”

“I’m sure I will.” But I really just want to be best friends with you. “Ryeowook?”

“Hmm?”

“It’s getting late. I’ve got to head home. I was just told before coming here that I’ve got to attend a meeting at five tomorrow morning.”

Ryeowook gasped, immediately breaking free of Yesung’s arms and pushing him toward the entrance of the park. “Hyung! Why didn’t you tell me? I wouldn’t have let you come! You should have gone home and slept!”

But I wanted to see you. I don’t care if I’m tired tomorrow. “It’s alright, Ryeowook! I’ll be fine; don’t worry.”

“I’ll worry a lot less if you leave right now and get some sleep!”

“Okay! I’m going, I’m going! Do you need a ride home?”

“No thanks. I’m going to stay for a little bit longer.”

“Alright. I’ll see you tomorrow!” Yesung hesitated for just a moment before waving a little awkwardly and setting off.

Ryeowook watched him go before falling backwards and landing in a big pile of snow, just lying there for a while. He didn’t want to move and ruin the magic, the recent memory of Jongwoon’s arms around him replaying in his mind. Being there with Yesung, standing there and talking, that warm, soft, perfect back hug…

He giggled to himself, thinking about how unbelievably flawless the night had been. Everything was right in the world.

~~~

Kyuhyun had made his way back to Coco Bean at nine after Sungmin had called him saying that Ryeowook was officially gone. He, Sungmin, and Leeteuk were sitting around a table in the front, sipping on freshly made hot chocolate.

“Okay,” he started, looking at the other two, “Who else has noticed how Yesung hyung and Ryeowook act around each other?”

“You mean the way that sometimes when their eyes meet they’ll drift off into their own little world and forget about the rest of us?” Sungmin offered innocently.

“Or the way that Ryeowook always seems happier after a text message from Yesung?” Eeteuk was the next to give an observation.

“Yesung hyung bought Ryeowook a teddy bear,” Kyuhyun added, “And during my vocal lessons, he only answers calls from the people at SM Entertainment and Wookie.”

“But Ryeowook won’t even admit to himself how he feels about Yesung,” Sungmin said with an exasperated sigh. “I tried to get it out of him, but he insisted that they were just friends.”

“I grilled Yesung hyung today too and he said the same thing. Said that Ryeowook was one of his best friends and nothing else. Nearly killed me for asking, too,” Kyuhyun grumbled.

“I don’t think either one of them is ever going to admit it, especially Ryeowook. You know how he cut everyone out of his life toward the end of his last year at University. He just started letting people back in and I sincerely doubt that he’s even close to wanting to let someone get that close. Heck, he won’t even tell us where he lives.” Sungmin made a face.

“Yesung’s coming to the Christmas party, though, isn’t he?” Leeteuk asked; a plan started to form in his and Kyuhyun’s minds almost simultaneously as Sungmin nodded. “Then that’s perfect! We can get everyone else in on it as well. We can try to make them confess there, or at least become aware of it themselves instead of trying to deny it.”

“I was thinking the same thing, hyung! That would be perfect. Let’s do it.”

The three looked at each other, grinning. This was going to be fun.



 

Hey guys~! :3

Hope you enjoyed this chapter -- the next is almost done, so it'll be up soon, hopefully~~

love,

afallingstar