Picnic

Please Don't Go

 

“This is Yixing hyung – Suho hyungs mate and the one who bandaged you all up. You met Luhan yesterday, this is Minseok hyung, Sehun and Tao –Kris’ actual mate.” The five of them had decided to meet the Alpha boy the next morning when he was more well rested. Even though Kyungsoo had stalked back to his own room after (force) feeding Kai last night, he still went back in the middle of the night to check up on the male. In the morning he made breakfast for everyone before bringing some to Kai; who had still been asleep… that is until Kyungsoo woke him up with a pinch to the side. Kai concluded that the only time the elder never stuttered was when he was being violent.

Kai looked at the five before him, “Did you know that’s he’s super vicious?” he asked, ignoring the omega.

“E-Excuse me??” Kyungsoo cried as the others chucked. “V-Vicious??!!”

Tao nodded, “Kyunggie can be very dangerous if you disrespect food.”

“Especially food that he makes himself.” Luhan added.

Kai glowered, “All I said was that I hate vegetables…” he muttered.

“Ohhhhh,’ Luhan shook his head, “His vegetables of all things? Ahh, Kai, rule number one: NEVER disrespect Kyungsoo’s food ESPECIALLY his vegetables.” Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped, they had rules for his cooking?

Kai crossed his arms and began to grumble, “A little late for that don’t you think?” Making the other boys laugh and Kyungsoo growl.

“So Kai, Where you from?” Yixing asked as he pat Kyungsoo’s back to calm the boy down.

Kai looked at the doctor sharply, “Does it matter?”

Instead of being bothered by the alpha’s tone, Yixing just shrugged. “Nope, simply curious. But hey, if you don’t wanna say then we respect that.”

Minseok smiled and gave Kai a reassuring look, “It’s true, we know absolutely nothing about Lulu and Kyungie before they came to us. We know a bit about Yixings, and some of Tao but it doesn’t really matter to us. You’re here, you seem cool, and that’s all that matters.”

Kai stared at the boys in front of him for a couple seconds. “You guys are strange,” He pointed out and of course he wasn’t surprised when every one of them nodded their heads; he rolled his eyes.

The boys continued to talk and bicker while Kai answered the occasional question, otherwise he just watched the boys with light amusement, but anytime they turned in his direction his expression went stiff. A little while later Kris called the other boys down so it was Kyungsoo and Kai again.

Kyungsoo glanced at Kai and smiled slightly, the boy’s expression seemed to drop when the boys had to leave. “You know you don’t have to pretend that you don’t enjoy their company.” He grinned as he cleaned up the mess the others had somehow made. At least it wasn’t as bad as the three idiots the day before. “They are pretty fun to be around.”

Kyungsoo noted how Kai’s bronze skin tinted red even though his expression didn’t change. “You know you’re entire pack is weird.” Kai stated, ignoring the omega’s previous statement, which made Kyungsoo laugh lightly.

“Yea I think we’ve covered that.” He chuckled. He was liking how comfortable they both seemed to be with each other. Kyungsoo smiled softly, it was nice.

A couple days went by with Kai still in bed. Kyungsoo made sure to take proper care of Kai, even though the said male made him embarrassed to no end and could be annoying too. But Kyungsoo couldn’t deny how interesting Kai was. He was absolutely cold and stubborn and he always refused to show any proper emotion unless he was teasing Kyungsoo, but the omega noticed how the younger male looked at his surroundings. When Kai looked at Kyungsoo’s pack, he noticed sadness, confusion, and sometimes even longing. When Kai looked outside, he noticed how the alpha’s face would light up, how peaceful he seemed and he knew that Kai just loved the outdoors.

So his planning begun. Waking up early before everyone else… the omega got to work.

 

“Morning Soo, what are you up too?” Minsoek asked as he came up to the omega and wrapped an arm wound his shoulders. Kyungsoo smiled at his hyung, “Well it’s a nice day, I thought it’d be nice to, you know, go out to the lake?”

“Like a picnic?” He asked, peering into the two large baskets already full of food.

Kyungsoo nodded, “Yup, what do you think? Do you think Kris will say it’s okay?”

Minsoek chuckled as he looked at the smaller, he considered Kyungsoo like a little brother at times, having been the one along with Baekhyun to find the omega in the woods. “Obviously,” he rolled his eyes. “You already made the food anyway, I doubt that tall alpha will say anything against it.”

Kyungsoo nodded at the reassurance, “You're right, also..Tao won’t say to no all his favorite foods.” The omega smiled sweetly at the beta making Minseok burst out laughing, “Dang Soo! You’re pretty conniving aren’t you?”

The omega continued smiling and shrugged, “Dunno what you’re talking about hyung. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go threaten Baekhyun and Chanyeol.”

“So they won’t touch the food?” the beta asked knowingly.

“Obviously,” Kyungsoo called out as he walked out of the room but then poked his head through again, “Oh, can you threaten Chen for me too?”

Minseok looked at Kyungsoo strangely, “Why don’t you do it?”

Kyungsoo smiled an allusive smile, “He listens to you better than me.” He explained as he disappeared again.

“What’s that supposed to mean?!” Minseok cried as his face flushed red. “Kyungsoo!!”

“Your blush says it all~” the omega called, a smiled evident in his voice.

Minseok squeaked as he covered his face, he cursed himself for sometimes forgetting that the cute innocent looking omega was sometimes the absolute opposite of innocent.

 

Kyungsoo knocked a couple times on the door before peeking in. “Hi,” he greeted.

Kai looked away from watching the world outside his window and faced to Kyungsoo, “What?” he asked, voice and expression dull.

“W-well,” he hoped his next words would make the younger happy. “I thought that since the weathers nice, an-and you’ve been stuck inside for so long…”

Kai sighed, “Hurry up and get to the point.”

“I planned a picnic,” Kyungsoo stated, not meeting Kai’s eyes. “If you don’t mind being carried into a wheelchair… at least you’ll be able to go outside-“

Really?” Kai cut him off, “I can really go outside?” The omega looked up and had an intake of breath when he saw the younger’s eyes. They had gone bright, and seemed full of life. Kyungsoo hadn’t seen them sparkle like that before.

A little dazed, Kyungsoo nodded, “Y-yea. I already talked to Kris. He’s fine with it.”

“When are we leaving?”

“Um… Now?” Before Kyungsoo knew what was happening Kai flung his blanket off and threw his legs over the side. However he hissed because of his quick movements.

“Ah you have to wait. I’ll go call Kris and Sehun to come up! Just wait!” he told the alpha, smiling a bit at how childish Kai was acting. As he turned he took a glance at the younger and saw him pout very slightly, before he turned to look out the window with excitement in his eyes.

Being a lone wolf he must spend all his time outside, Kyungsoo thought. Being stuck inside for long, unable to move because of his injuries, must really bother Kai.

Although the alpha looked blank all the time, Kyungsoo would see the younger constantly tapping his fingers, or switching what he would be looking at regularly. He really couldn’t keep still. Kyungsoo suddenly chuckled to himself, just like a child can’t keep still.

 

After Kris and Sehun were called by Kyungsoo the two had gone up by themselves to retrieve Kai while Kyungsoo held the wheelchair at the bottom of the stairs.

“So how did Kai react when you told him he’d be able to go outside?” Suho asked from the couch with his mate lying his head in The Beta’s lap.

Kyungsoo looked at the elder and smiled fondly, “He was really really happy.”

Baekhyun looked at the omega with eager eyes, “Did he smile?? I haven’t seen that kid smile yet!”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “Nope, and he’s probably scared of you Baek, why would he smile at you?”

“Hey” the elder cried.

“So how do you know he was happy?” Luhan asked suspiciously.

“Ah,” Kyungsoo was caught. “Well, b-by his eyes…”

He really wished he wouldn’t have said that because Luhan’s eyes had that stupid glint again. “His eyes huh? You were staring into his eyes?”

Groaning Kyungsoo flipped Luhan off, “ you, you know that’s not what I meant.” The rest of the boys were laughing their butts off but didn’t continue with any questions.

“WHAT THE ARE YOU DOING??” A shrill voice screamed. All the boys snapped their heads and looked towards the stairs.

“WE’RE CARRYING YOU DOWN YOU DOWN THE ING STAIRS SO YOU CAN GO OUTSIDE, WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE” Sehun’s voice screamed. Everyone’s eyes went wide, especially Luhan’s. None of them had ever, ever heard Sehun raise his voice, or swear with such emotion, before.

“SO WHY THE HELL ARE YOU TOUCHING MY ??” Slowly, each of them walked closer and peered up the stairs.

“FOR S SAKE… IF YOU STOPPED MOVING THEN I WOULDN’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DROPPING YOUR ALREADY INJURED DOWN THE STAIRS.” Sehun was yelling as he and Kris held onto Kai who was sitting on their outstretched arms. Sehun’s face was clearly annoyed and his eyebrows furrowed even further than normal. Kris looked like himself except for the fact that his face was beet red.

“Would you two PLEASE shut the up?! At this rate we’ll all fall down the ing stairs and I swear ill skin you both alive.” 

Kris had used his alpha voice, emitting extra strong dominent pheremones to control the two young alphas. Both boys shut their mouths but continued to glare at each other as they came down the rest of the stairs.

Baekhyun began snickering, “Seems like those two get along well.” He commented.

Lay looked at the two in awe, “I’ve never seen anyone be able to get Sehun to yell that loud…”

Xiumin nodded in appraisal, “I never knew it was really possible for the kid to express that much emotion.”

“Well,” Chen chuckled, “It seems we found someone who’s able to rail Sehun’s emotions up. Interesting, isn’t it guys?” he slung his arms around Luhan and Kyungsoo.

All eyes turned to both omegas, both of whom remained staring at the two alphas.

Luhan’s eyes were unreadable but he nodded gently, “Yea… interesting.” He murmured.

Chen nodded, satisfied with the reaction, and turned to Kyungsoo, “What do you think Kyung? Isn’t it great that these two seem to click?”

Kyungsoo was staring up at Kai in a mix between amazement and wonder. “Wow…” was all that he was able to come up with; effectively causing the others to look at him in confusion but Kyungsoo didn’t care.

Before Chen got a chance to ask the smaller what the ‘wow’ meant, the injured alpha had been settled into his wheelchair and had scanned the boys before eyes landing on the familiar omega.

“Kyungsoo! Are we leaving now?” he asked, attempting to move the wheels on his own.

Kyungsoo blinked and looked up at their Alpha. Kris gave Kyungsoo a nod and a pat on the shoulder as he walked over to Tao. “He’s all yours Soo.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Standing outside while pushing Kai’s wheelchair, Kyungsoo turned to the boys, “Okay, I need four people to carry the baskets.”

Three hands shot up.

“Not you three.”

Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen whined as they were shut down.

Luhan, Suho, Kris and Yixing ended up volunteering, which was perfectly fine with Kyungsoo.

However once they had all turned into their inner wolf, Luhan was about to pick the basket, that Kyungsoo had left for him, up. Sehun appeared and grabbed it before he could. Luhan looked at the younger in surprise but Sehun seemed to pay no heed and turned away from Luhan with the basket, the omega continued to stare even as the younger walked away. Kyungsoo smiled lightly, Sehun had his way of showing that he cared. He then left Kai in the care (or mercy) of Baekhyun while he turned to the others.

“Since kai and I are the only ones not changing I better not see any food gone from my baskets when I get there.” He warned. Suho, Kris and Yixing chuckled softly before nodding and taking off first. Sehun scoffed as if he didn’t really care.

“I’m serious Sehunnie,” Kyungsoo warned. “Let anyone eat from it and your portion just gets smaller.”

The younger glared at him but Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, “You’re the one who took it from Luhan,” he smirked as he lowered his voice, “assume the responsibility that comes with it.”

Sehun let out a growl and of course Kyungsoo just crossed his arms. “Regret it?”

Kyungsoo could see that the younger did not as he let out a sound that was similar to a sigh.

Kyungsoo smiled softly and patted the alpha on his furry head, “I know you don’t. It’s okay Sehun, go on.”

Sehun looked at his hyung with emotion that rarely showed itself for just a minute before nodding and going off.

 

Kyungsoo pushed kai along the path in silence. The younger seemed content just looking at anything and everything around him.

“It’s really nice here,” he murmured softly.

Kyungsoo smiled and nodded in agreement, “it is. Probably one of the nicest places I’ve been actually. The forests in the south west are a close second though.”

“You sound like you’ve been around a lot,” Kai mused as he stretched an arm out and caught a dandelion by his fingertips. 

Kyungsoo shrugged, “I guess you could say that.” He took a deep breath as he looked at the thick brown trunks surrounding them,  looking up he could see the greenest leaves as well as flowers that bloomed the brightest and biggest. Even the lakes had waters that were crystal clear. And then memories began to resurface.

Kyungsoo sat against a tree trunk and looked around at the great scene surrounding him. The largest trees had trunks that went on for meters before their branches dispersed in bright greens that allowed little patches of sunlight to make its way through. He’d been in the South west Forest for a few days and it was always amazingly breathtaking each time he opened his eyes. It had demonstrated to be the perfect place to re-energize and heal after a physically and mentally exhausting journey as well. The forest had proved to become Kyungsoo’s favorite, it was both open yet concealed. However, as much as Kyungsoo wanted to stay, it was still too close… much too close for him to take a risk. Fourtunatly, he had heard of another forest, one in the north east. It was said to be even more beautiful than the one here… that is if you could find it. It could prove to be a challenge to get too. But Kyungsoo was willing to take the risk because it was supposed to be 100x’s more breathtaking than the sight before him… and most importantly, it was much, much further away.

 

“You’re right though,” the alpha continued, blowing on the flower and watching as the white seeds dispersed around him. “This forest has to be the most beautiful… I never thought it would be this beautiful when I first heard of it.”

“Where did you hear of it?”

Kai paused, and Kyungsoo could practically feel Kai changing again, he was getting pretty good at it too. Anytime he asked a seemingly personal question, or sometimes even a random one that seemed to have no significance to him, Kai would put up a barricade. A defense where he would try to be cold and uncaring, one where he wouldn’t try to depend on anybody.

“You don’t have to answer.” The omega answered softly. “I was merely curious.” He knew how to avoid the cold Kai. Every time the cold Kai appeared, Kyungsoo would feel his heart clench slightly. He’d rather be arguing, yelling, or even have the alpha , then to see those blank eyes and hear that cold voice.

He could understand why Sehun and Kai seemed to get each other to act more comfortably, they were like mirrors. Kyungsoo realized this as he watched the two yell at each other. Sehun was lucky enough to have Kris, Chanyeol, Chen and Suho from the beginning. But what about Kai? He was alone, so there was no one who would , get him angry, and make him laugh. No one to comfort him when he cried, take care of him when he was sick or play with him when he was bored. Kai had no one.

Kyungsoo could feel him throat constrict thinking about it. Swallowing the feelings, he pushed on without a word. Silence engulfed them, only the sounds of the forest filled the air.

“You guys all seem to be pretty close.” Kai suddenly spoke. His voice was guarded yet soft. As if he felt bad about his inability to answer the previous question.

Kyungsoo hummed in affirmation, “We’re like brothers.”

“But you all came from different packs?” he then asked. He tried to play it off as casual but Kyungsoo could detect the curiosity within.

“Kris, Suho, Chanyeol, Chen and Sehun all came from the same pack. The rest of us came on our own time from all over.”

“And you guys…never cared?”

The blunt question surprised the omega slightly but he understood what the alpha implied and was quick to regain his composure.  

“No, never. We all left for a reason, and we’re together now. That’s all that matters.”

"What about the dynamics?" Kyungsoo understood this as well, their pack didn't emphasize the power that alpha's had over beta's and omega's. Here they were equal -not to mention that Kyungsoo -an omega- was the one who usually contolled them.

"For most of us, the dynamics were why we left." Kyungsoo shrugged, "We were treated a certain way because of the group we were born into -lived and were dealt with accordingly... but that isn't a pack. That isn't a real pack."

Kai kept silent, processing the omega’s words.

Slowly they approached the clearing of the lake and Kyungsoo sighed, “Just ...remember Kai, we don’t judge each other because no one judges us more than ourselves.”

Kai looked up, slightly stunned by the elder’s words. It was like a direct blow to the chest, and Kyungsoo didn’t know it.

 

“KYUNGGIE!!” Baekhyun yelled as he waved his arms. Kyungsoo broke eye contact and turned to the rest of the boys.

“CAN WE EAT?!!” Chanyeol yelled from beside the beta, obviously eying the basket Sehun was holding not too far away.

“GET THE AWAY FROM THAT BASKET PARK CHANYEOL!” The omega screamed as he pushed the still silent Kai faster to get closer to the group.

 

 

Kai watched the boys around him run and be their normal loud selves. He had never been surrounded by so much noise before! And although it could be annoying, kai somehow… found it comforting. His eyes found themselves trailing after a certain small omega as he scurried around yelling and putting food onto the other boy’s plates. A small smiled seemed on stretch out on his lips unconsciously.

“here.” A plate was shoved in front of kai’s face. Looking up, kai found Sehun looking uninterested at the scene across from them. “They’re all idiots.”

Kai took the plate, “And you’re not?”

“Shut up.” The younger snapped.

Kai just smirked, “Come on, when you took that basket from the other omega, that wasn’t just from the kindness of your heart.”

Sehun groaned, “You’re an , how does Kyungsoo take care of you?”

“He’s different,” Kai replied, shrugging.

However he regretted saying that when he saw a smile stretch across Sehun’s face. “Different huh? Someone’s attached to our Kyunggie Hyung”

“ off.”

“You started it.”

“Not my fault you’re so obvious.”

The two glared at each other before Sehun did something unexpected. He began laughing. Not just the light chuckling he occasionally did, but a full out stomach clenching laugh.

Kai looked at the other in disbelief, he watched eyes wide and mouth open as Sehun continued to laugh before looking at Kai and nodding.

“I am obvious aren’t I?” his laugh died down to a chuckle, then only a smile lingered. “I can’t help it, I’m in love Luhan.”

Kai was a bit shocked at the confession, he sure wasn’t expecting that, “So… why not tell him?”

Sehun looked at Kai and shook his head, “You haven’t been here long enough to tell. Luhan knows, he knows damn well. But he fights it. He refuses to believe that I want him.” Sehun sighed, “I don’t know why. He always changes the subject or runs away whenever I try to talk to him seriously. Kyungsoo hyung says that I should just wait, that I should just be there for Luhan and prove to him that I really do care. I’m doing my best to show him, but I can’t confess. He needs time to come to terms with whatever is bothering him. I can’t push him.”

Kai watched Sehun’s face fill with pain for the first time. The usual emptiness was gone as his true emotions came through. “Are you sure you aren’t an idiot?”

The younger chuckled again, the pain vanishing in an instant. Something that was familiar to Kai. “, maybe I am. And if you tell anyone what I said I’ll chop off your balls, I don’t even know why I told you of all people.” He muttered.

Kai just smirked but kept silent as they returned to watching the others. “So are they always… like this?” he asked, taking a bite of the chicken sandwich on his plate. The two of them watching Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen steal a basket and stuff their face before Kyungsoo began screaming and all hell began breaking loose. All the while, the other boys were laughing and cheering on Kyungsoo.

Sehun shrugged, “Yea, but by now shouldn’t you already expect it? You’ve probably asked that question hundreds of times now haven’t you?” he stuck a cherry tomato into his mouth.

“I’ve just never seen anything like this,” Kai said slowly. They were laughing, throwing food, and so carefree. “It’s different.”

Sehun nodded in understanding, he would be a bit freaked out as well if he stumbled upon a pack as unruly as them. “I’ve been with the pack since the beginning and I still can’t believe that this is my family either.” He watched as Luhan threw a couple of carrots at Minseok, laughing, before Kyungsoo came up to them in hysterics. Only to have both Luhan and Minseok look at each other, grin, then throw the food at the small omega and take off running.

“But I don’t think I’d change that.”

“But why?” Kai asked the younger, “Don’t you worry about attacks?”

Sehun looked at kai in surprise before scoffing, “I guess no one thought to fill you in.”

Kai looked at him in confusion.

“No one bothers us, unless you know, they have a death wish.That's our pack's job. We’re strong, and smart,” he took another glance at the rest, “but that’s debatable… So yea, they leave us alone unless there’s real trouble and they need our help. We like it that way, we keep to ourselves.”

Kai stared from Sehun to the others a couple of times, “You’re serious?” he asked.

“Completely.”

 

“Sehun! Kai! Come on! We’re about to eat dessert!” Suho called out as he watched Sehun push Kai’s wheelchair towards them.

“We’re having cheesecake!!!” Tao screamed happily as he jumped up and down.

“Were they together the entire time?” Baekhyun asked standing next to the omegas as the three of them cut up the cake. Chen, Minseok, Chanyeol and Yixing were cleaning the other plates off next to them.

Chanyeol nodded, “yup, I saw them when we were playing around. They were talking or something, oh and get this, Sehunnie was laughing!!”

The six of them looked at Chanyeol in surprise. “No way!” Minseok gasped.

 “Sehun was laughing?” Luhan asked in confusion.

“I saw it too,” Yixing laughed.

Chen chuckled, “Seems like someone finally understands the maknae’s mind.”

Kyungsoo watched the two as they got closer, he saw them glare at each other before both smirking. Definitely mirrors.

The two reached them and everyone immediately began attacking the dessert. Kyungsoo noticed how Kai was just staring, his eyes sparkling but hesitant. Kyungsoo stood up and walked over to the lone wolf, he handed a plate to Kai, “Cake?” he asked the younger, a small smile on his face.

Kai looked at the sweet before him then back up at Kyungsoo, “I’m… allowed to have some?”

His expression was so adorable, Kyungsoo had to resist the urge to coo at the younger, “Of course! You’re healing well so some dessert won’t be bad.” Kai still seemed a bit cautious so Kyungsoo decided to bring Kai to the side of the river, a bit farther from the rest so kai could relax more. Kyungsoo laughed in his head, he had to get the boy to relax for a piece of cake… weird.

Even as they sat by the lake side the younger continued to stare at the spongey confection. “Did you… not want some?” Kyungsoo asked uncertainly.

Kai’s eyes widened as he shook his head, seeming to snap out of his little trance. “It’s just… I haven’t…” He didn’t have to finish his sentence for Kyungsoo to guess what he meant to say.

The omega smiled and cut a piece before handing the fork to Kai. “Don’t worry, it’s really good I promise.”

The alpha looked to Kyungsoo’s reassuring gaze before looking back to the fork held out to him. He took the fork and brought it to his lips.

Kyungsoo’s heart seemed to swell as he watched Kai’s face light up. The sugar hitting the Youngers tongue brought a sense of bliss to the boy.

Kyungsoo’s grin got wider when he saw Kai scoop large pieces of the cake into his mouth, groaning as he savored the taste before frowning when there was no more cake left. Kyungsoo chuckled at his dejected expression.

“Do you want another piece?” the omega asked, offering his piece that he had only taken one bite out of, but he didn’t mind.

Kai looked up at his with wide eyes, “I can have another?” he whispered in disbelief.

“Yup,” Kyungsoo laughed, definitely not regretting his decision. The younger immediately nodded, “Then yes please.”

Kyungsoo had to bite his lip at the sheer cuteness of Kai acting like a polite 6 year old.

Handing him his second piece, he smiled watching the boy stuff his face.

Suddenly Kai stopped and look at elder, swallowing what was in his mouth he smiled slightly at the elder, “Thank you Kyungsoo.”

If Kyungsoo was shocked he didn’t show it, instead smiling back at the younger. “You’re welcome Kai,” and without realizing it he used his sleeve and wiped the corner of Kai’s mouth which had some cream.

Kai suddenly looked a bit troubled as he blushed a slight red as turned his head down. Kyungsoo, realizing what he had done, blushed bright red and turned away as well. What the did you just do Kyungsoo!! Are you an idiot! Really?? Skin ship of all things!! And intimate skin ship too!!

“…”

“…”

“…Jongin.”

Kyungsoo’s head snapped up as he stared at the younger, “huh?”

“M-my real name… You were right. ‘Kai’ isn’t it.” The alpha took a deep breath,  “It’s … Jongin.”

Kyungsoo opened and closed his mouth for a few seconds, trying to figure out what to say. Coming with a conclusion, he decided to go with the truth.

“I-I knew.”