oo1

ѕнadow

The second hand of the chrome clock hanging in the lone, bland office ticked slowly, tauntingly. Every tick tock seeming louder than the last, slower than the last, scarier than the last. Time was running out. And Kim Jongdae knew it. The constant movement of the clock hands told him to be careful, never to waste the seconds. A single thought of those wasted moments forced him to believe the world could change. Everything would fall apart. Lives ruined. A single lost second could destroy him. Time was his biggest enemy, but also his best friend. Changing from the best thing to the cause of his deepest fears. No words could explain the fear of losing hours, minutes or even seconds. Kim Jongdae was unable to understand the results of a fleeting moment that escaped. All he knew was that time was chasing him. And he was running out of options.


A soft sigh escaped parted lips. Jongdae's soft chocolate eyes scanned over countless files that piled upon his dark oak wood desk, one look towards the silver clock sent chills down his spine. 10:39pm. He had 21 minutes until the hour decided to end. 21 minutes until he could leave. No sooner, no later. He couldn't bear any more, working 48 hours without sleep was beginning to show. His hand reached out and plucked a faded yellow file from the tower, placing his glasses upon his nose, he opened the file. Inside, there was several pages with almost unreadable letters. Damn Byun Baekhyun and his messy scrawl, Jongdae cursed the assistant in his mind. His fingers closed around a silver pen, the cool metal sent tingles through his fingertips. Jongdae glanced up at the clock again. 19 minutes. He flicked through the pages, hoping for a legible source of information. Upon seeing nothing of the sort, he softly shut the file, placing it back down. He grabbed the next file, repeating the process with the exact results. He gave a sigh of annoyance. Why was Baekhyun giving him these files with no background information and no leads for him to begin with? His eyes moved back up to the clock. 4 minutes was all that remained. He stood slowly, glasses removed from his face by slender fingers. He closed and placed the MacBook sitting upon the desk in his leather computer carrier. Moving towards the light switch, he flicked the lights off - one by one. The room was soon enveloped in a dark cloak of shadows. Through the darkness he could just read 10:59pm upon the clock. His eyes widened. He had taken too long. He turned and raced down the hallways towards the staircase. He turned a corner and smacked straight into his assistant, Baekhyun. The young man gasped as the stacks of paperwork he had been carrying had fallen from his grasp. Jongdae rushed out an apology before running on down the stairs, leaving the assistant to pick up the never ending pile of important papers with a sigh, he stacked them all upon one another messily as he carried them to his own office.

Jongdae flung upon the metal door to the office car park, moving quickly towards his white Lamborghini Aventador. He quickly entered the car, threw his laptop into the passenger seat and pulled his seatbelt over his body, clicking it into place. He shoved the keys in the ignition and with a flick of his wrist, the sleek car roared to life. He tore out of the car park. Time was pushing him. He was running late. 2 minutes... He pleaded to nobody as he pushed the car faster as he raced down the motorway, he prayed for no more time to catch him. No more wasted minutes. He breathed a sigh of relief seeing a clear road ahead. This relief was shortly ended, however, when he decided to take a short cut and drove straight into a long jam of cars. Eyes wide, he began panicking, he tried reversing but a dark blue Volvo had pulled into the traffic jam behind him. His palms began sweating, his knee bounced. His eyes were dragged down to the built-in clock in the dashboard.11:13pm. He should be almost home now. But Jongdae was stuck. His breath became rough and ragged, his head began screaming. The minutes moved by quickly but the traffic slowed down even more. One single minute felt like a whole hour. Shaking fingers grabbed onto his iPhone 5 and unlocked the complex pattern, several numbers lit up the screen as his index fingers pressed one, he moved the phone to his ear. The ring tone seemed too loud. Too constant. Finally, a voice answered.
"Hello?" The soft voice belonged to Baekhyun.
"Jongdae? Are you okay?" The young assistant could hear the sharp, panicked breaths.
"Jongdae?!" Baekhyun's gentle voice oozed worry and concern.
Jongdae's mouth released words without him realising.
"It's too late! Baekhyun! The time! It's too late! HELP ME!" He was screaming without noticing. He failed to notice the fearful tears escaping his darting eyes. He continued to scream his pleas into the mouthpiece. He shut his eyes, voice becoming even more hysterical.
"Baekhyun! Please! Help me! I'm begging you!!! Don't leave me like this! Time's moving too fast! It's gonna get me! Please!" Jongdae's voice began to crack through the effort. Poor Baekhyun was reduced to sobs.
"Jongdae! Where are you?! I'll come to you! Tell me where you are!" He cried as he rushed down the very staircase they had crashed earlier, he opened the same metal door and headed towards his dark grey Porsche Panamera. Repeating the same pattern as Jongdae had, he drove out of the car park at an almost illegal speed. Broken breaths and loud screams still sounded from the other line,
"I'm stuck! Please help me! I'm gonna be caught! Baekhyun! I need you!" Baekhyun's eyes clouded with tears as he drove quickly, he decided to head towards Jongdae's house.
"Jongdae, where are you? I'm trying to find you!" He shouted, out of pure fear. Jongdae sobbed out the name of the street and Baekhyun immediately performed a U-turn in the middle of the motorway and skidded across into the other lane,
"I'm coming! Get your car off the road now!" He yelled before hanging up. Jongdae's trembling fingers placed the expensive car into Drive and he swung the car off the road much to everyone's annoyance. He killed the engine and shut his eyes tightly, he pulled his knees to his chest on the black leather seat and screamed against his knees. He couldn't bring himself to look at the clock, he couldn't bear to know how much time had passed, how close it was, how long until he was caught, how long until the game was over.

Baekhyun's car skidded up along side Jongdae's at 11:42pm. The young detective was rocking slowly back and forth, mumbling incoherent words as Baekhyun jumped out of his car and opened the door of the Lamborghini. Jongdae looked up.
"It's almost over... Time is almost here..." He whispered with a fearful expression. This confused Baekhyun greatly, he just nodded as if he understood.
"I know. I know, it's okay." He said gently. Jongdae shook his head,
"No... It's too late... It can't be okay... It won't be okay." He sounded so lost, so unsure. Baekhyun bit his lower lip as he thought.
"Are you supposed to be somewhere? Right now?" He watched his best friend nod urgently.
"Yes. I'm supposed to be at home now... Finishing off files... Not stuck here where he can get me. Not here..." Jongdae began mumbling to himself again. 
"Shall we just get you home? I'll follow you." Baekhyun rubbed the detective's arm comfortingly. Jongdae nodded with a soft sigh.
"Yeah, it'll be better than staying here anymore... He can't catch me..." Confusion flashed across the young assistants face,
"Who is this person that's gonna catch you?" Suddenly, a hand was slapped over his mouth.
"Shh!! He'll hear you!" Jongdae hissed, eyes darting everywhere. Baekhyun raised his hands in defeat and gently pulled Jongdae's away from his mouth.
"Okay, I got it... Let's just go now." He waited until Jongdae had started the engine of his Lamborghini and headed back to his Panamera, he got in and quickly pulled his seatbelt back over himself and brought the engine to life with a roar. Both men pulled out onto the now empty road and sped off down towards Jongdae's home.

Little did they know, someone had been standing in the darkness. Silver eyes trained onto their every movement. A hard smile graced his face. Dressed in a black trenchcoat and long black boots, he melted into the shadows, buried in his coat, several sharp blades could be spotted, the edges caught the moonlight and reflected, showing off the deathly aura this very person gave. He spoke with a voice that was as soft as the finest silk, 
"I know your secret Kim Jongdae, I created this. All for you. Aren't I lovely? Don't disobey me now, I know what strings to pull." He gave a sadistic smile as he walked towards the woods that lined the roadside, he paused before he entered and look in the direction Jongdae's car had headed.
"You can't escape me. I will always know where you are. Because I am Shadow." And with that, he vanished into the ebony that trees offered towards him.

 

_____ A/N _____

Here's the first chapter for you all! Hope you enjoy it! ^.^ 

I'll check for mistakes tomorrow.

1593 words.