110

160 Beats a Minute

Chapter One

 

Chanyeol tapped his finger on the wooden table in front of him, eyes sprinted left and right as his chin was rested on his other palm. He texted a message to his friend, Chen, saying: “He’s not here yet. Do you know how much I hate tardy people?

Chen, after a while, gave him a reply: “Give him a chance, Chanyeol. I promise you’ll like him.” He heaved a sigh and slouched his back. Yeah right, He thought, Even if I do like him, he probably won’t like me back.

The café door opened and a sound from a chime can be heard. Chanyeol whipped his head up to look at who just entered. He was hoping he was him, but he also wished he wasn’t. Focusing back to his phone, he heard a cough across him.

“Uh…” The other mumbled. “My name is Baekhyun. Sorry for being late.” Baekhyun flashed an apologetic smile and did a swift bow. Chanyeol stood up from his seat and nodded in understanding.

“It’s okay. Nice to meet you, Baekhyun; I’m Chanyeol.” He stuck out his hand in front of himself and the other faintly grabbed it and shook hands. Chanyeol towered Baekhyun; maybe 7-10 cm of a height difference.

Chen sat across Chanyeol at the short and small coffee table, his legs crossed. “So, tell me what kind of man would you like.”

Chanyeol looked up as if thinking of an answer. “I like people who are… shorter than me. I’d like to appear dominant.”

“Dominant my ,” Chen rolled his eyes evidently and snorted. “But that’s possible; you’re a freaking human-building.”

The taller between the two snickered as Chen found a date that’s shorter than him. But then as Chen said, it’s possible. He’s really a freaking human-building.

“Excuse me?” Baekhyun raised a brow because he heard the other snicker. “Nothing, nothing,” Chanyeol replied with a shake of a head. “Would you like a drink?” He offered.

“Ah, I’d go order some for myself.” Baekhyun said. But Chanyeol protested, “No, it’s okay. What would you like?” Baekhyun was embarrassed for him to do so, so he kept on denying. “I really can order by myself, it’s embarrassing,”

Chanyeol smiled, “I insist. Now, what would you like?” Baekhyun sighed in defeat and replied, “I would like a caramel cappuccino.”

“If you two would go on a date, what kind of personality would you like him to show at first?” Chen asked, leaning towards him slightly.

Chanyeol devastatingly sighed and shook his head. “What do you mean ‘if’? We are going on a date.” Then continued, “I would like him to play stubborn at first… Then I’ll keep on insisting until he surrenders.”

“Cliché,” Chen commented but nodded along.

He smiled on his way to the counter as Chen got another thing right. How did he even know that Baekhyun is like that on dates? He thought but decided maybe it was better if he didn’t know.

“May I get your order, sir?” the clerk on the counter, Jongin- as Chanyeol read from his nametag, smiled politely at him as he asked. “A medium-sized caramel cappuccino,” he ordered. Jongin tapped his touch-screen monitor then computed his receipt.

Baekhyun bowed and flashed a smile at Chanyeol. “Thanks, Chanyeol.” He said and grabbed the cup from him. “You really didn’t have to, but I’m thankful.”

Chanyeol smiled back and nodded. “So, Baekhyun,” He crossed his legs under the table and gazed at the shorter boy. Baekhyun put down the cup from which he was sipping on. “You can just call me Baek for short.”

He nodded and continued, “Okay, Baek… Tell me something interesting about you.”

The other coughed as if clearing his throat. “There’s nothing interesting about me, though.” He kind-of confessed. “C’mon now,” Chanyeol frowned a bit, “At least tell me something about yourself.”

“I’m a 92-liner and a Taurus. That’s all I can say for now.” He said quite brief, taking another sip from his cup. Chanyeol grinned content, nodding in understanding.

“Mysterious,” Chanyeol said. “I don’t like the other to reveal everything about him. I’d like to figure out things about him myself, you know?” He smiled, imagining how he’ll figure out his date was afraid of heights by having a date at the Ferris wheel; and how he says he’ll hold his hand and say ‘I’m here for you’ then feel all manly and dominant inside.

“Uh-huh,” Chen nodded, scribbling the shoes on the clown he was drawing all this time instead of listing down notes.

“You’re a year older than me, Baek. I’m a 93-liner,” Chanyeol informed, watching the other gasp. “Really!?” He asked in disbelief, “Everyone’s so tall for their age nowadays…” Then a pout formed on his lips.

Chanyeol wondered if it was on purpose or not. Either ways, he looked cute and he wanted to kiss that pout- Wait, isn’t it a little too early for that!?

“So,” His pout went away from his lips and Chanyeol was quite saddened by that. “Tell me something about you.”

“Sagittarius,” He copied the way he answered. “Since I’m tall, people call me ‘Tower Yeol’ or ‘Yeol-zilla’. They also call me ‘Yoda’, because of…” His voice trailed off and pointed to his ears as he wiggled the pair.

Baekhyun gasped surprised and gave a soft laugh, in which the taller liked. “I see, I see. How ironic because Yoda is short,”

The table burst in giggles and laughs and snorts. Even though it wasn’t much of a joke, the both liked it. “Yeah- phew,” Chanyeol wiped an imaginary tear coming out of his eye. “Very ironic,”

“And elves too, are short. What happened to you? Are you an elf-tower hybrid or something?” Baekhyun questioned and clutched his stomach as more laughs and snorts came out of their lips.

“Anything else?” Chen asked one more time, doodling the afro hair of his clown-slash-vampire-slash-wolf creature.

“Oh, I almost forgot.” Chanyeol beamed. “He has to have a sense of humor. If he can crack a joke, it’s fine by me.”

“Humor…” Chen repeated his words, adding final touches to his drawing. “Okay! I’ll try to find someone as perfect as you wished. This could be an easy find, but I’ll try to find someone more special for you.”

Chanyeol stood up from his seat and shook Chen’s hand. “Thank you, Chen. I’ll look forward for it. Reviews say you’re a great matchmaker.”

“Nice meeting you again, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol gave an all-teeth smile and ruffled the other’s hair. “You too… Let’s see each other another time, okay?” Baekhyun smiled back and fixed his hair. “Definitely! Just give me a call when you’re available.” The taller waved his phone near to his face and laughed.

“Sure thing. I’ll get going now. Thank you again,” Baekhyun bowed deep and started to walk off.

Chanyeol waved his hand high in the air while the all-teeth smile was still evident. So was his heartbeat that beat 10 pumps faster a minute.

 

First Chapter done! ^__^ Sorry if it is lame, I tried to give you the beginning part... Anyways~ Chapter Two will be updated soon; school starts on Monday. ; ;

Comment! Subscribe! Upvote!