Chapter #3

Masked Identity

Becca's P.O.V 

 

             After taking a quick shower in the school's locker room and changing into more school appropriate cloths I start to make my way to first period after some practice in the dance studio.

As I'm walking down the halls I try and keep an eye out for the young janitor and if I'll bump into him again. 

When I first saw him and after hearing his supposed background story I had the impression that he was just a simple human being. He had off desires that put him in this school and will probably someday be able to leave and once again make the same mistakes over again. But I was wrong. 

This mysterious, young and oddly talented (in dance) janitor is like a puzzle. I saw him and made my assumptions, thought of my strategy to get to my first check point, and believed that it was simple, that it was easy and that I didn't have to put in much of an effort in finding a way out, in finding what kind of person he is. But like puzzles you never get things right on the first try; I was wrong about him, about his personality. He's much more complex than I would have ever assumed. 

Just before I reach the hall that my first class is located I spot the janitor at the end of the opposite hall. The questions start to fill my head again. Like what's your name, why do you hide your face behind a mask, are you really the person who everyone thinks you to be, how is a person of your stature so mastered in dance? I want to ask him, it's odd for me to act let alone feel this way, but I want to know who he is. 

I want to see the man behind the mask.

Starting to walk towards him after finding the confidence to confront him a second time the bell rings for first period and I'm forced to turn the other way. 

As I sit in my seat near the back and next to the window I notice that today is a particularly crappy day. It looks like rain is going to start to come mid day and if I'm seeing it right so will thunder and lightning. Although I'm not afraid of bombastic noises with lightning to follow I'm not all to found of having to walk home in it. 

Today might be the day that I have to experience my first ride on a public bus. 

Because of what happened with my parents and I years ago even the thought of going on a moving vehicle that has the capability to take lives isn't really something that I want to do. But seeing as the weather isn't going to clear up anytime soon I feel as if I won't have much of a choice unless I'd like to increase my possibility to be struck by lightning. 

Statistics say that being in a car (or bus) during lightning is the best place, and that being the tallest thing around you isn't. And if I decide to walk home I will be out in the open myself with lightning and loud thunder following my back. 

Through out class I just do as I always do. Because I don't like wasting paper on notes that aren't that helpful half the time (and that I'd just depose once the curriculum has ended) I end up just putting my phone on my desk and record the teachers voice instead. It's more efficient and copying down every word the teacher says isn't really possible so this way I won't miss anything. 

Then the rest of the time I'll just look out the window or stair at my desk thinking about various things that aren't really useful to anything or anyone. But today I just couldn't get that janitor out of my head. It's actually getting to be a little annoying in my opinion. 

It's just the big questions that float around him just make him seem so interesting. I wouldn't say that I admire him, I mean there's no reason why I should or would, and I wouldn't say that he's someone to put effort into but still I can't stop myself from at least wondering. 

I'm sure that I've seen him somewhere, his eyes are sketched in my head and I might go mad if I don't find out where I've seen them before. And even though he says that he's nineteen can I really trust him on his word alone? Although he does look around that age, he shows no signs of anyone older than mid-twenties and no younger than me, I still can't trust he was telling the truth. 

Also after seeing him dance this morning, even if it was only for a quick minute or so, he didn't look like an armature at all. I'd hate to admit this to myself but he has something that I don't. He has confidence in his style, he commands his movements not the other way around and all at the same time, although I still couldn't see much facial expression, he looked like he was really enjoying himself. 

The only conclusion that I can make on him is that he's odd and has secrets. But I'm sure the last thing was pretty obvious at first glance. 

Without even noticing the time the bell rings and I see that everyone has already left the classroom. 

Getting up and placing my things in my bag I decide to just skip next period. I only really have one more class until lunch and then after that is when I really go to a class that I applied for. 

Wandering down the halls I let out a sigh and just lazily step one foot in front of the other. Thinking how complex but how simple walking is. 

Then suddenly I feel something hit my shoulder and turning around I see a small paper plane lying on the floor at my feet. Bending down I pick up the simple origami piece and start to unravel the creases. 

Opening it I read, "Skipping class yet showing up two hours earlier than everyone else just to practice?" I stare at the note for a short while then look up and around to see if he's here. 

Nobody would have known that I showed up early other than him and I'm sure that everyone is in class right now so I only have one culprit, "I can take care of myself you know." I say rather softly but loud enough so that anyone close could hear, 

Then looking at the hallway to my right I start to walk down it, in search for the strange janitor. 

This went on even over my lunch period. I quickly stopped in the cafeteria just to grab a milk and bread like the other day but then made my way around campus with the purpose of finding him and just avoiding people. I don't really want to see anyone right now, let alone be in a huge, echoed room with hundreds of students. 

Taking a seat on a random bench somewhere on campus I slide my hand in my packet and take out the once paper airplane and read the words written on it again. "It's a little weird, isn't it?"

To think that he would do something as cheesy and strange as this makes the unanswered questions triple and move further away from being answered. Well there's one thing that I do recognize, he's at least educated enough to write, spell and use correct grammar. 

Looking at my watch I notice that I only have a few minutes until I have to start heading to the locker rooms to change for my next class. Then suddenly I get an idea and getting out a pen I start to write on the back of the piece of paper where it's blank and open for new words.

After writing my small message I refold the paper back into the plane and quickly scan the area to make sure that nobody notices what I'm doing. "Since he's the janitor he should come around here at least once today." And setting the plane under then bench I make sure it's hidden enough for the common eye but obvious enough for his. 

Then starting to walk towards the dance studio I start to hope that he receives it. 

As I'm in the locker room changing I suddenly get tapped on the shoulder. Turning around I see Soyeon smiling and waving towards me and I slightly bow after I slip the rest of my t- over my body. "Hello."

She makes a face, "Still emotionless hugh?"

Looking at her I just shrug then get back to putting my things back into my locker space, "Am I needed?"

"Actually that's why I'm here. I didn't see you in class today, by the way where were you if you are here right now? Are you sick or something?" She raises an eyebrow and starts to scan my face for any signs of illness. 

I shake my head and just start to put my hair up into a pony tail.

"Then? I don't know why I'm asking it's obvious that you just skipped." She rolls her eyes and I just nod to confirm her assumption, "Anyways I'm glad I saw you because I just wanted to say that you don't have to go to the newspaper meeting today. We're just going to be doing more research and maybe rough drafts. So you'd just be sitting there like yesterday, I'll more or less tell you in class when you should come. Since you're the editor and only need to come at certain times."

Soyeon really does talk a lot faster than the regular college student, but I won't say anything. So I just nod to show that I understand. 

She then pats me on the shoulder and smiles, "Yesterday was fun, the dinner I mean, we should do it again. But next time you pay, just to be fair."

"Okay." Then bowing again I let her leave first and I just start to make my way to the dance studio. 

 

            As I thought dance was just like yesterday. Although they taught us the warm up routine for everyday, we still hadn't danced or even remotely talked about anything close to the subject. 

Upon being the last one to leave the studio I consider on staying for a short while longer but then remember that tonight is the night that my aunt goes out with her friends and that I'm going to have to take care of the house while she's gone. 

So heading towards the door I start to reach for the handle when the door suddenly comes swinging open itself and slams right into my nose. 

Falling on my behind I start to feel a little dizzy and spots of color start to fill my eyes. Then coming from somewhere above me I hear a slightly worried male voice that has a familiar tone, "Are you alright?"

After blinking multiple times and steadying myself I manage to look up and see the janitor standing over me with raised eyebrows and a red face, "Yeah. I'm fine." 

Starting to get up the janitor puts his hand on my shoulder to stop me, then reaching somewhere behind his back he takes a tissue and props it under my nose. "You're not. You're bleeding." He doesn't sound worried yet his words are soft and polite. 

Removing the tissue I see the red glob that has already been caught on the tissue, "Oh." 

"That's it?" He says while reaching back again to grab more tissues for my leaking nose. 

I shrug more interested in what he's doing than my noses' condition. Touching it slightly I can tell that it's only a little bruised, it doesn't hurt enough to be broken I don't think. 

He hands me the tissues, "Thank you." 

Then standing up to his feet he puts out his hand in gesture for me to take hold. 

Starring at the hand I have no intention to do as intended and instead just stand on my own, "It's only my nose that is injured." 

After that he just nods, grabs his cleaning supplies, and walks past me while getting ready to tidy the dance studio. I turn around and watch him as he starts to mop the floors, dipping the mop in the soapy water than lathering it on the ground. 

It's odd. That he shows concern one moment then acts as if we have no business the next. I mean we don't, we don't have any relation between one another, I had just met him the other day and all I really know about him is that he's supposedly nineteen, has eyes that look familiar, and that he's a janitor. 

"Have you checked the grounds near the benches yet?" I say wondering if hes seen my returned note yet. 

He looks up from the mop and raises his eyebrows, "I wasn't planning to today. Is there something that I need to know?" 

Looking down at the tissue stuck to my nose I shake my head. I'm sure by now someone else has already spotted it and either thrown it away or read it and thrown it away. No reason to tell him now I suppose. 

"I'm going to leave now." I say bowing my head slightly then turning around, starting for the door once again. But this time a little more conscientious that someone may be on the other side. 

"One moment." He says just before I disappear around the corner. Hastily walking to my side he looks at me and as he does I can feel my face heat up a small bit. It's only normal though, for a person to feel embarrassed, well not embarrassed for me but aware, that the opposite is watching you and standing fairly close to you. "I'll go to the bench area if you want me to." 

This statement makes me feel confused, "I don't understand."

"You asked me if I were going to go near the benches anytime today. That just made me think that you wanted me to go over there for a reason. So I'm asking you if I should reconsider and stop by the benches before my shift ends." 

I tilt my head still not understanding his purpose of asking me what I want. Also I don't exactly want him to go to the benches, I just suggested it to him because I thought that maybe he would want to see what I had wrote, "Well you said you weren't going to, so why would you?" 

He rolls his eyes and I feel a bit offended, "That's not answering my question. I'm asking if you want me to go over there."

"If you want to? I'm a little confused on what you're trying to get at." His impatience for my answer is a little scary and annoying. "If you really want to know why I wanted you to go over there I can tell you." 

His eyes shift directly to mine and my face starts to turn even warmer than before, "Tell me."

I start to open my mouth to directly tell him but then something stops me. I furrow my eyebrows at my hesitation to tell him, but then realize that I'm playing with the end of my shirt. And when I do that it means that I'm embarrassed about something. Does that mean that I'm embarrassed to tell him that I wrote him a note? "I just. You don't really have to go over there. It's not much of a big deal, it was just something that I was curious about." 

He gives me a strange look, or at least what I could make out, "Are you sure?"

I nod not knowing what else to do. 

"You're kind of intriguing. In the most respectful way possible." He says with smiling eyes. 

I start to bite the side of my lip not knowing how to respond to such an affectionate comment, compliment. I don't get complimented much, unless it's by my aunt, so this feels a little new to me. But I manage to crack a small smile to show my appreciation, "Thank you."

He smiles under his mask once more then turns around and starts to walk back to the dance studio. But before he could make it to the door I loudly say, so he can hear, "You're interesting. In the most respectful way as well."

Turning around he gives me a small wink of the eye and then disappears behind the door.