Chapter 3

Love Academy

Since then,the recording studio has been a familiar place to Yoona. After eating her lunch box in the class, she often go to recording studio on break time. And one day....

(Yoona : Oh no! I forgot my lunch box because I overslept this mornig! Aish,I'll eat my lunch at the cafeteria..)

~At cafeteria~

People made a lot of noise because Yonghwa and Myungsoo are quarreling.

Yonghwa : Give it back to me! That bungeoppang is mine!

Myungsoo : You're crazy,Yonghwa! You eat bungeoppang everyday! I lined up for it. I was before you! Not to mention I have witnesses. This bread is the only edible commoner's food for me!

Yonghwa : You didn't get a ticket from the cafeteria.

Myungsoo : Then give me yours!

Yonghwa : Whatever,that bread is mine!

Myungsoo : Eating bungeoppang everyday is bad for your health.

Yonghwa : Bungeoppang is the source of masterpiece,especially when you add gyoza filling.....

Suddenly, Kai stole the "bungeoppang" and ran away while the two were quarreling. Kai almost knocked Yoona over.

Kai : Oops,sorry! Let's eat "this" on the roof,together!

Saying so,Kai takes some sausages from a number of girls' dishes.

Kai : Don't you want to be in shape?

Then, Donghae called her.

Donghae : Yoon,are you all right? You didn't bring your lunch today,did you? I'll share mine with you.

Yoona : Well...Thank you.

Apologize to Kai, Yoona prefered her childhood friend. The lunch box cooked by Donghae tastes really good. Leaving the noisy cafeteria after lunch,Yoona went to the recording studio. When she was about to get ready for recording, Yoona found a strange message and a CD.

To the "after school sonstress" was written on the envelope she found. In it, she found a letter written with the title Summer and the lyrics written by hand.

Yoona : This is....(Is this from Kai who knows I've been recording here everyday? No..no,if it comes from him,he'll tell me directly.)

Yoona : Who did it..?

Opening the CD case, she found another piece of paper in it.

[It seems you have sending your song to the people in the disaster area.
Being attracted by your beautiful voice, I created a song for you. Use this if it pleases you]

(Yoona : This is a song from someone who is interested in my music...)

Knowing this tune is created for her, Yoona can't help but to trembling a bit. She took out the CD and listened to it.

(Yoona : I've never heard such a tune..! It begins from a comfy piano melody with the fresh wind of early summer and the tune grows intensity little by little like the summer sun. And then, melody like the end of summer. The impression of a little heart ache and autumn foresight,then the tune is finished. This is a really nice tune! I have to practice more.)

Since that day, Yoona practiced the tune to her very best but it took her a long time to achieve mastery of the beautiful melody. Sometimes it's difficult to sing. However, she never get tired, no matter how much she sing. The intense passion from the melodies,yet,the graceful lyrics suggest something fresh..It's just like Summer..

Yoona : I want to meet the composer of this song someday..

With such affections, Yoona sang her very best and sent it to the disaster area. Since then,two months have passed. The life in the disaster area seems to get better gradually. The academy's volunteering activities and assistance have become the topic of discussion in the area. Taeyeon came in sudden, jerking Yoona from her muse.

Taeyeon : Oh,Yoona! I got Yonghwa's school concert ticket. So how about going together?

Yoona : What? Yonghwa's concert? Hmm..why not! Let's go.

Yoona really want to listen his performance properly, since she has only heard his music outside he room. She hurried to the hall with Taeyeon. They got a seat. Soon after that, the stage curtain went up. Yonghwa in a suit was regal and gallant that he doesn't resemble himself at all. Although the tunes he played that day were only classical music and they were hard to understand..It was marvelous that even an amateur like Yoona can understand Yonghwa plays very well. And regardless of a school hall,a lot of people including the mass media came to hear his music. His concert was remarkable. Yonghwa played to the finish flawlessly and his concert seemed to be successful. 

Taeyeon : Great! This concert is like a professional's,isn't it?

However,the moment when the stage curtain was pulled down,the mass media didn't gather around Yonghwa,but to an audience.

(Yoona : Is that...Jung JiTaek,the famous composer..? It seemed that he came to hear his son's performance..)

But that composer only commented by saying that he had a lot things to do. He left the hall soon after that.

(Yoona : Hrmm...why? Why, doesn't he want to meet Yonghwa? This concert should be his son's big achievement...If my parents had the same situation,I'm sure they would be glad..)

Yoona was a little concerned,so she went to the backstage to see how Yonghwa is doing,leaving Taeyeon. Following upon that, the mass media also went towards Yonghwa.

(Yoona : I guess, Yonghwa will be interviewed by the media about today's performance and so on.)

When she was thinking about that, the media asked their first question.

Reporter  : Where did your father go? Do you know his plans from now on?

At that moment, Yonghwa's expression seemed to turn pale. Suddenly,...

Yoona : Well Yonghwa! Your performance was great!

As if disturbing question from the mass media,Yoona spoke aloud. Yonghwa looked at her quickly,but left without saying anything....


Autumn is here. The trees outside the classroom began to turn from yellow to red. Although Yonghwa has received a lot of compliments for his performance in the school concert, he doesn't want to talk about it in class either.

(Yoona : The attitude of the media was rude,but he should know be proud of himself because he played very well.)

Yoona felt a little pity for him,and she went to the recording studio. Time passed after the disaster and the situation there has calmed down. Even so,music can heal the soul of people. Thinking of it,Yoona wanted to send more songs recorded by her to the disaster area. And as she entering the recording studio,she looked at the same scene that she had ever seen. A CD and lyrics were placed on the desk. To the "after-school songstress" was written on it. This time,that title of tune is "Autumn" It's the same season. She recalled summer music last time.

Yoona : What kind of tune will it be this time?

Yoona getting more excited. Then,she opens the CD case. She found a note as before.

[Thank you for singing Summer. Your fine voice healed me.
I composed a tune for you again,so please sing this as well..if it pleases you.]

As usual, Yoona still don't know who composed the tunes.

Yoona : I wonder who is the composer behind this..?

Yoona played the CD anxiously to hear the tunes for the new song.

Yoona : Ah! This composer is marvelous..(That was a wistful melody moving to the point of tears. I could imagine a beautiful autumn scene with falling leaves. And it comes to a spectacular transition between the briliant autumn color leaves. I want to see him soon...And I want to thank him. But...but How can I see him? I couldn't concentrate the whole day after thinking about it. After all..having no way to see him,the melodies are only the things I have..)

Yoona practiced hard and managed to achieve mastery of this tune. Then,she recorded and sent it to the disaster area.

(Yoona : I wish,my feeling could get through to the people in the disaster area...and also to the composer of this song..)

She gave over the CD to her teacher filled with hope. Yet,there was something she has forgotten. The day which they cook their own dish has arrived.

Teacher : We have mentioned this before during the class. Today, you will be creating your own dish in a group of two.

All students stood in front of the kitchen in pairs just as they were told last time. It seemed some friendly pairs already tried to cook together since last cooking class.

(Yoona : Well my partner is Yonghwa, I can't rely on him...)

Yoona sighed a little. She used to his irritating manners already. Even though she looks sideways at Yonghwa, he has a gallant expression, a long thin nose and those strong-willed eyes.

Yonghwa : What?

Yoona : N...nothing

She wouldn't say she gazed in wonder at him,so she dropped her eyes.

Teacher : Please cook in cooperation with your partner.

Then,they started. When Yoona reach out to grab the vegetables near her,Yonghwa stopped her.

Yonghwa : I don't need your help.

And after that,when she try to do something..Yonghwa takes all the work from her. For sure,vegetables are cut by him and served by him...All of them are better than her. But...

(Yoona : That thing I saw earlier...I'm pretty sure it was a bottle of salt and a bottle of tabasco mixed together,isn't it? It seems he put in an unusual amount...Oh God!)

Yoona tried to say something to him,but Yonghwa wouldn't hear it. So she just let him take the wheel. As a result, Yonghwa cooked all the dishes alone. And yes,his dishes look nice and beautiful and he needs no help from her. Although other pairs have already finished their cooking, Yonghwa's dishes still look the best. Yonghwa put his dishes in front of their teacher,full of confidence. The teacher also satisfied with the decoration and he tries to taste it with a smile.

Yoona : Wait! No,seonsaengnim! Wait!

Their teacher foamed at the mouth and fell immediately.

Yoona : Seonsaengnim?

Hearing Yoona's cry,Donghae ran up to her.

Donghae : Let me take a look at him!

Getting his arms around the teacher,Donghae turns on the penlight he has been keeping in his pocket and checks his pupil. He shook his head seriously in silence. Myungsoo shouted as soon as he saw that.

Myungsoo : Call an ambulance!

After their teacher was transferred to hospital and the class figured out the reason why he fell became clear,the atmosphere of the kitchen calmed down.

Myungsoo : I guess I can figure out what happened...What did you put into your dishes,Yonghwa?

Yonghwa : What was what? I cooked normally. That's all.

Myungsoo : As always,you say it was normal...

Yoona : Erm..what do you mean?

When Yoona asked Donghae,he looked at her with an uncomfortable expression.

Donghae : Well....actually..the reason why our teacher fell is because...

Donghae and Myungsoo both looked at Yonghwa...

Yoona : Really?

(Yoona : Sure, I also thought Yonghwa's dishes seemed to taste bad. Does it mean his dishes taste was really that terrible? At least, Yonghwa uses what their teacher sets up for the class,so he shouldn't put in what they can't eat..And yet, his dish was..it means that,Yonghwa's sense of taste is probably messed up..)

Yoona wondered what kinda taste it has. A few minutes knowing their teacher's condition was not serious,the students left the kitchen. But Yonghwa didn't move. Yoona can't leave Yonghwa alone,so she sit beside him. When she looked around, all students have left.

Yoona : Erm..

Yonghwa : Ah..

Yoona : Huh....?

Yonghwa : Um..nothing..

Yonghwa was abashed into silence.

Yoona : Do you feel bad?

Yonghwa : ......

Yoona : This is....beautiful,isn't it? (Oh no! It's that dish...I'm so insensitive.)

Yonghwa : ..... My dish is just like me..

Yoona : Why?

Yonghwa : It looks beautiful,but it has no taste,impractical...

Seeing his painful eyes, Yoona caught her breath. He seems to remember something in the past.

Yoona : Don't lose your confidence. No one perfect. Besides, I think you can have some confidence about serving beautifully decorated dishes..

The dish their teacher had was so beautiful that she want to reach out and take a bite.

Yonghwa : But the taste...

Yoona : Well, all families have their distinctive taste I'm sure.

At that moment, a shadow passed over Yonghwa's face.

Yonghwa : I don't know how my families tastes.

Yoona : What?

Yonghwa : My mother never cooks. All dishes were cooked by maids and chefs. So I don't know about my family tastes. To tell you the truth,my sense of taste is messed up,I think.

Yoona : Your sense of taste is messed up....

Yoona was surprised,hearing such words from Yonghwa. And she understood why Yonghwa feels terrible about that.

Yoona : Then, why don't you cook together with me next time? I'll teach you the taste of homely cooking.

Yonghwa : You will teach me?

Yoona : Yes!

Yonghwa : Well..Thank you.

Hearing a word of thanks from Yonghwa, Yoona felt blushing and she stood up.

Yoona : I'll go home!

Yonghwa : Alright...


The library of the academy is an excellent facility. There are a lot of books about music. Yoona remembered that she has to look up for something,so she stopped by the library to check it out. She reached out when she found the book she want. Just then,a series of other books fell onto her.

(Yoona : Oh,no...!)

Involuntarily,protecting her head,she closed her eyes. But...

(Yoona : It doesn't...hurt?)

When she opened her eyes slightly,the books are suspended. Instead,she found two longs legs standing in front of her.....
When she looked up..

(Yoona : Yonghwa..?)

Yonghwa held the almost falling down books not to drop them on her head.

Yonghwa : Didn't you go home?

Yoona : W-well, I remembered there's something I have to look for...

Yonghwa pushed the books back to where they belong and asked he "which book' with his eyes.

Yoona : Brahms'...

The moment Yoona said so,Yonghwa pulled out Brahms' book quickly.

Yonghwa : Is this what you have been looking for?

Yoona : T-thank you.

She said thanked him naturally.

Yonghwa : Do you like Brahms?

Yoona : Yes! I will choose him the topic of my report because he is my favourite composer.

Yonghwa : Hmm...

Hesitating a little, Yonghwa opened his mouth.

Yonghwa : I like Brahms too.

Yoona : Really?

Yonghwa : Yeah,he is serious. He is a composer of classical music,so people have an impression that his music is formal and serious. However, he is actually just a commoner.

Yoona : Great,you know him well! But it is a little surprising for me to know that you like Brahms.

Yonghwa : Is it so?

Yoona : I thought you's prefer genius composers because your father is also like that.

Hearing those words, Yonghwa broke in with touch of sullenness.

Yonghwa : I will be a commoner. I want to compose tunes moving in everyone's heart.

And then, Yoona recall that she saw him composing songs earlier..

(Yoona : I see, so that's what Yonghwa has been thinking about all along. His image as a genius and a difficult person has changed in my heart,and I can feel that I can get along with him.)

Yoona : Hmm..Yonghwa..

Yonghwa : Call me..

Yoona : What?

Yonghwa : Call my name once again..

Yoona : Eh?

Yoona nodded after being surprised by Yonghwa's words.

(Yoona : It's not what we're being especially friendly to each other,but this alone makes me happy.)

Yoona try to speak more with Yonghwa ever since that day.


After that, the number of times Yoona go to music room increased.

Yonghwa : What do you think about this song?

Yoona : This melody has the sweetness just like the first love.

Yonghwa : So..How about this?

Yonghwa plays a different melody. It's such a l magic. Yoona share her feelings,hearing those melodies abd sitting beside him.

(Yoona : When Yonghwa talks about music,he becomes more talkative and passionate.)

That day, they were talking about music after school as usual..But because of the strenuous physical education class in the afternoon, Yoona eyes are getting heavy gradually. She fell asleep without realizing. 

"I seemed to have slept with my head resting on Yonghwa's shoulder and found his face was just close to me. Our eyes met each other, and my eyes looked right into his. I look at Yonghwa's lips just in front of me. They are trembling slightly.."

Waking up quickly,

(Yoona : Did he kissed me?)