Chapter 13 | 16062016

Being Afflicted

Hyun Ji remained still, uncertain of what she had just heard. So much was going through her head and the guilt of breaking the promise she made to herself still knocked on her conscience. With her eyes locked on Jin, she tried to string a sentence but to no avail. What was one supposed to say in such a situation anyway?

"That's right, my father's a freak, and so am I," Jin said in a self-proclaiming way. Shutting his eyes, he heaved a sigh. "You know what? Forget it, just go. Now we know each other's dark secret, so I guess we're even. I'll do as you say and go back to pretending you don't exist. Okay? Just, go. I'm tired of this ."

Jin turned around, waving her off without a glance back. Assuming that she'd leave, Jin made his way to the nearest bench. Sinking into it, he ran his fingers through his hair, frustration wrapping itself around his mind. His eyes began to cloud and the tears threatened to fall but he wasn't going to give in just yet. Clamming his eyes shut, he attempted at forcing the tears back in only to fail miserably. The sound of footsteps approaching only escalated his frustration. Opening his eyes, he immediately made eye contact with Hyun Ji as she got closer to where he was. Without a word said, she plopped down onto the spot next to him.

"Why are you still here? I told you to go," Jin said, holding back the tinge of annoyance he was feeling. Hyun Ji remained silent as she took in the heartwrenching sight before her. She noticed the bags under his eyes, suggesting that he hadn't been sleeping well, if at all. She spotted the wrinkles on his face and the redness of his eyes. She could see how watery his eyes were, aware that he was holding the pain in. 

"Let it out." Upon hearing this, Jin grew confused. 

"I know you're in pain. You told me you'd pretend I don't exist so do just that and let it out. Stop acting like you're fine. You're not. Let it out." Jin didn't know what it was but her words were enough to trigger the tears. It started out as a trickle but eventually, the tears were flowing uncontrollably. Usually, Jin would try to stop himself but this time round, he let the tears pour. Hyun Ji didn't utter a single word as she watched him break down before her. The scene tugged at her heartstrings as she recalled all the times she had been mean to him. As though her limbs had their own mind, her arms pulled him in, embracing him in a tight hug.

He's just like me.

 

The basketball court was quiet, and nothing but the sound of uneven breaths could be heard. Jin was no longer crying though he still had his face buried in Hyun Ji's shoulder. He had long recovered from his breakdown but felt it would be less awkward if he were to remain where he was. Hyun Ji on the other hand had never done such a gesture before, thus she was unsure of what to do next. Unable to put up with the kind of atmosphere surrounding the two anymore, Jin was the first to break the embrace.

"Thanks, I needed that," Jin said. Many questions roamed his mind but he didn't know which one he should begin with, or whether he should even ask any of them. Just then, the bell marking the end of a period rang through the school premises, diverting Jin's attention.

"Did I make you miss a lesson?" He asked.

"It's fine, it wasn't an important subject anyway," Hyun Ji replied, waving it off. Jin wasn't buying it though. For a long second, he stared at Hyun Ji with guilt.

"Really, it's fine. My teacher probably didn't notice I was gone anyway. Kind of the perks of being 'non-existent' you know?" she said with a light laughter though Jin could tell there was a hint of bitterness in it. The air grew silent once more as words turned over in Jin's mind, urging him to at least say something. Jin heaved an internal sigh, chiding himself momentarily.

Back when she was busy dodging you, you sure had a lot to say, didn't you? Now that she's voluntarily right in front of you, you decide to be quiet?

"Do you still talk to him?" Jin turned to Hyun Ji, stunned by the fact that she was the one to start a conversation instead. Upon seeing the questioning look on his face, Hyun Ji clarified herself by saying that she was referring to his father.

"No, I don't," Jin said, clearing his throat. Even though his father was a topic he wanted to avoid talking about the most, finding out that she was somewhat in a similar situation - with her father being away from her, not by choice - made it easier for him to talk about that man. Jin had only said three words but his tone was enough for Hyun Ji to figure out that he didn't have a good relationship with his father. There was no love in his tone; no saudade. All she sensed was anger and hatred. That was when she recalled the conversation between him and Namjoon a couple weeks back.

"What if one day, I end up like him?"

"Just because he lost the battle, doesn't mean you should."

Was the 'he' they were referring to, Jin's father? Hyun Ji pondered. She wanted to ask him but retracted her decision, not wanting to cross the boundaries of what she could and could not ask. She knew how it felt to be prodded into talking about a topic that was off limits.

"What about you? Do you still talk to yours?" Jin asked.

"Yeah, though it would be better if there wasn't a glass barrier in between us," she answered, as the image of her father flashed in her mind. Jin could tell she had a close bond with her father, simply by observing the way her face lit up at the mention of him, only to dampen a second later. It was as though for a moment, she forgot he was ever taken away from her by the authorities only to have reality smack her right across the face.

"I have questions to ask you but I won't lay them out now. I know you don't trust anyone at the moment, and for some reason, you seem to not trust me the most but I want to prove to you that I can be trusted. I want you to know that I'm genuinely concerned about you. I want you to know that I don't have some hidden agenda. I can't tell you the reason I want to be in that circle of yours - not because I want to hide it from you but because I don't know how to phrase it - but maybe one day I'd have a proper explanation. But before any of that can happen, I need you to give me a chance. Give me a chance to earn your trust."

Hyun Ji took a moment to process his words, her silence being overbearing to Jin though he patiently waited for her response. Hyun Ji scanned his face. He looked sincere but she didn't know if she was ready to bear the consequences of letting him anywhere near her life. She feared making her presence known, uncertain of how much attention it would bring to her family. She had put so much effort into laying low to ensure the safety of her family.

Should I really risk it all? I've put my trust in others once and that decision of mine ended up backfiring on me. What if history repeats itself? She asked herself. Then she recalled her father's words. 

"Opening up to others takes time. It takes trust. It's a hard thing to do, putting your trust in others, but if they can trust you enough to make the first move, then why not you?"

"Okay." Jin blinked, unsure of he had heard her right.

"Okay?" Jin asked.

"Okay," Hyun Ji confirmed as a smile slowly edged onto her lips, greeting Jin for the very first time.

≈♦♦≈

"Did I make the right decision?" Hyun Ji asked as she stared into the horizon.

"You know, I can't answer that question unless I know what you're actually referring to." The familiar chuckle rang in her ears as she turned to her right. His sudden appearance surprised her, pulling her out of her train of thoughts.

"How do you keep doing that? How do you keep appearing out of nowhere?" Hyun Ji asked, her questions causing him to raise a brow.

"I've been here for the past ten minutes," Howon answered. "I announced my arrival but you were too lost in your thoughts."

Hyun Ji blinked. She was certain she hadn't heard him at all. Then again, she was indeed too preoccupied with the thoughts in her head, so maybe she didn't notice him. Brushing off the mild confusion, she turned her attention back to the front. Hyun Ji contemplated asking Howon for his advice but the thought of asking someone she had just met not too long ago a question that involved personal issues struck her as a not so wise decision. Then again, she did once ask him about split personality and he didn't seem the slightest bit shaken up by it.

"So are you going to ask me that question again, except with more details, or was it not meant for me to begin with?" Howon asked, wondering what was going on in that mind of hers. She turned to him, unsure of what to say. The hesitation was evident and Howon was prepared to tell her that she didn't have to say anything if she didn't want to. Before he could open his mouth, she struck him with a question.

"Do you trust me?" 

"Yeah...I do," Howon answered, not knowing what she was getting at.

"How? How do you trust me? How do you know I won't end up betraying you one day?" Hyun Ji asked the confused other.

"Well..." Howon paused as he thought through his answer, only to realize he didn't have one. "I just do. I don't know why but that's just how it is. Sometimes, one just has to go with one's instincts. Maybe you've been hurt before. Maybe someone has betrayed your trust once. However, that shouldn't stop you from putting your trust in others? Because despite turning their backs on you, you should know that those people once cared about you, even if it was for the shortest period of time. Them losing your trust is just a sign that their roles in your story has come to an end and new people are meant to replace them. Should you be more careful when picking new company? Yes. But should you take away one's chance to win your trust? No, because you might be missing out on the most loyal person you could ever have in your entire life."

Hyun Ji felt a switch in her peripheral as the words left Howon's mouth. Not once had she come across someone with such a mindset, and despite being unaccustomed to it, Hyun Ji wanted to be able to think that way. She wanted to be able to trust someone wholeheartedly, despite the chances of that person turning against her at some point.

"Howon?" She uttered, not realizing that silence had filled the air for quite some time.

"Yeah?"

"Can I tell you a story about my father?"

Howon didn't respond immediately for his mind unable to comprehend her words. It felt so foreign; her opening up to him. Nonetheless, a smile made its way across his face.

"Of course."


 

A/N: I have returned *insert dramatic entrance* Okay jokes aside, I really do apologise for my disappearance but I'm really thankful for your never-ending support. You guys never fail to make me smile and I'm really happy I decided to return. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it. It took me some time but I eventually got back on track and boy am I excited to work on the next chapter. I promise you that it'll be much longer compared to this one. Anyway, let me know what you think of it okay? Also, how are ya'll doing? Just talk to me, even if it's not related to this fic. 

Also, thank you so much for the 108 upvotes and 400+ subscriptions. I feel blessed, really.