Chapter 12 | 180615

Being Afflicted

A week went by without anyone even noticing. Hyun Ji walked down the halls, not a single glance thrown at anyone within her view. The sound of students laughing and talking to each other were muted. As usual, she was ignored. She liked it that way and others had grown accustomed to it. Her mind recalled her first day in Jeguk High. People stared as she walked down the halls and murmurs were exchanged between one another. Hyun Ji knew her school life would be tough with her entering midway through the year. Apart from her enrolling at the age of 16, in which she'd be in the second year of high school, Hyun Ji was rather accustomed to being homeschooled even though she had only been homeschooled for about two years.

Socializing was something she grew unfamiliar with but that wasn't a problem for her since she wasn't planning on making friends anyway. Hyun Ji was more worried about being able to adapt to the school's environment. She feared not knowing how to get to her classes, which would then require her to ask others for directions. She feared not being able to keep to the promise she made to herself. She feared trusting people. She would hang her head low as her teachers introduced her to the class and in every class, she'd make sure to pick a window seat at the very back of the class. During the first week of school, students would come up to her and try to start a conversation but each time they did, she'd walk away without sparing a glance.

She felt bad for acting that way and every part of her had the urge to apologize to them but the bigger part of her advised her against it. As weeks went by, everyone decided to simply ignore her. Even the teachers wouldn't call her out. They'd only do that if she had achieved something but the mention of her wouldn't last longer than a minute. People weren't treating her that way because they found her cold or arrogant. They did it because they knew she didn't want to be approached. She simply gave off that aura. They knew she had a reason. Nobody would want to be regarded as invisible for no apparent reason. But they didn't bother asking. Even if they tried, they wouldn't get an answer.

Throughout the rest of that year, there would only be a few instances in which she'd talk to someone but those were of certain circumstances. However, each time those instances took place, she'd fear the worst. Thoughts of others finding out about the secret flooded her mind, disrupting her focus. Maybe if she was her old self, things would've been different. Her life would've been different. She would have had a wide circle of friends and she would've been much more bubbly. But her life took a detour the year before and ever since, she walked around with the weight of her family's lives on her shoulders. Hyun Ji thought that with everyone treating her as though she was invisible, things would be much easier for her. Little did she know, not everyone was heeding to her wish for a pair of eyes observed her from afar. Those eyes belonged to Namjoon for he knew she was just like him and his six other friends. Just like the seven of them, she was afflicted.

Hyun Ji was knocked out of her thoughts when her eyes fell upon a familiar pair. A week ago, she would've been stunned by that sudden interaction but at that moment, Hyun Ji was void of emotions or reactions. After that encounter she had with him in the hallway, Jin would walk right by her each time they came across each other. Just like everyone else, he ignored her and she was completely fine with that. Hyun Ji expected him to walk right by her like he usually did but instead, his eyes lingered on her for another second. Within that second, she noticed something. The anger filling his eyes as his gaze hardened by a fraction before the anger in his eyes dissipated and his normal gaze returned. Right then it hit her. Those eyes she saw before didn't belong to Jin. That anger-filled gaze wasn't his.

 

"Is Jimin hyung absent again?" Taehyung asked.

"Yeah, I didn't see him in class today" Hoseok said, heaving a sigh. Taehyung grew silent for a moment as he considered his next words.

"Should we...pay him a visit?" Taehyung asked. His gaze fell upon Namjoon before he slowly took back his words and muttered, "Oh wait right, he wouldn't like that."

"Guys, I need you to know something. If ever, I'm absent, don't visit me at all unless I tell you guys to, okay? Don't ask me why, just. Don't visit me okay?"

Jimin's words encircled Taehyung's head as he picked on the food on his plate, his appetite completely gone. A sigh escaped his lips as worry overwhelmed him. He wished Jimin would open up to them and tell them what was wrong but Jimin was one to keep his problems to himself. Even to Taehyung, the guy Jimin was closest to, he wouldn't open up. It made Taehyung question their friendship sometimes, the fact that Taehyung told Jimin everything, even about his disorder, yet Jimin kept certain things to himself. But that attitude of his was something Taehyung had learned to put up with. Even though he hoped Jimin would come out of his shell one day, there was nothing he hoped more than for Jimin to be okay. 

Whatever you're going through, even if I don't know what it is, I'll be ready to catch you if you fall and if you slip from my grip, I'll be ready to offer my hand and help you up. Taehyung thought to himself, hoping that message would somehow make its way to Jimin.

"Hey wait, where's Jin hyung?" Namjoon asked upon noticing the absence of the other. Before anyone had the chance to reply, the chair next to Namjoon was pulled out. Tossing his bag onto the floor with a hard shove, Jin plopped onto his seat. Ruffling his hair, Jin let out a huff as his gaze fell upon the table. He didn't know why he chose to go to the canteen even though he knew it was a stupid decision. He felt the anger bubbling within him as he recalled the scene from the night before. 

 

"I'm home," Jin called out as he shut the door behind him. Knowing his mother's whereabouts, Jin headed to the kitchen which had become her go-to place whenever she was doing her work.

"There's lasagna on the counter top." Nodding, Jin grabbed a bowl and some lasagna before sitting down. As usual, the mother and son shared a long conversation regarding both their days plus other things that were completely out of topic. The two had an outburst of laughter before Jin's mother cut her laughter short. The expression she held was completely different and her eyes were filled with nervousness with a touch of fear. Jin's mother knew the topic was a sensitive one but even so, she needed to bring it up. It was for his own good. Jin noticed the change in his mother's expression and tilted his head, giving her a questioning look.

"Jin-ah," his mother said, putting down the bracelet she was working on. Jin noticed the change in her demeanor. He noticed the tense air that surrounded the two. He noticed her reluctance to look him in the eye.

"When are you going to visit Appa?" Within a split second, Jin's eyes hardened and so did his heart. His hand formed into a tight fist as the image of the man who ruined his life, flashed into his mind.

"Don't bring that man up Umma," Jin said, a tinge of warning evident in his tone. Anger sparked in his heart and coursed through his veins.

"No, I have to. You need to visit him Jin. It's for your own good. I'm sure Appa misses you terribly," Jin's mother said, her voice shaky as tears began to cloud her eyes.

"That man is the reason I'm like this. That man is the reason you're suffering. That man is not my father. My father has long been dead." A tight, hard slap flew towards Jin's cheek as he uttered the last few words. He felt the shift in the mechanics of his body, the anger bursting out in flames. With one hand on his cheek, he met his mother's eyes, staring right through her soul. He knew it had been triggered and the anger within him was only making it stronger. Every part of him urged him to make a run for it but he was immobilized.

"He may not have done a good job but he is still your father, Kim Seok Jin." That was the last straw. Without a single word, Jin ran off to his room and slammed the door shut. Tears mixed with anger and frustration trickled down his face as he sunk to the ground. Jin ran his fingers through his hair as he tried to stop it from emerging. He did all he could to calm himself and wipe off the anger but his efforts only fueled the fire. His fingers began to feel numb and slowly, so did the rest of his body. His head began to throb as pain shot up. Jin fought on even though he could barely tell what he was doing. His vision turned fuzzy and his lungs constricted. The feeling of a nail being nailed into his head filled his nervous system, causing him to cry out in agony. But Jin fought on. He wasn't going to lose the battle. He wasn't willing to admit defeat. 

But he almost did. For the slightest second, it emerged but as fast as it appeared, it disappeared. Jin was left gasping for air on the ground as he recovered from the episode. Pulling himself up, he transferred himself to the bed, his limbs going weak. His heart raced against his chest as the pain in his head slowly faded away. Turning towards the mirror, Jin's eyes widened upon seeing it on the other side of the mirror instead of himself. 

"Surprise," it sang as his sinister smile grew wider. "See that right there? Yes, I almost took over your body. I could've stayed but let's just regard that as a warning from me, shall we? I can erase your existence within seconds Seok Jin. Even if you fight, I'll be stronger than you. I'll always be stronger than you. Remember that."

Upon seeing Jin's shaken self, it let out a twisted laugh and enjoyed the sight before it. Jin couldn't bring himself to say anything. His mind had gone blank and his throat was dry. His body trembled as fear crept up within him. 

"Hey, maybe you should listen to your mother and pay your father a visit." Upon hearing that, Jin's eyes blazed as he raised his fist in mid-air. Just as he was about to fling it towards the mirror, it stopped him.

"Üh uh uh" it sang, wiggling its finger. "Violence is never the answer. But hey, they say like father, like son. Better be careful. You might end up like him one day."

With a final laugh, it disappeared from the mirror, Jin's self replacing it. Its words lingered in his mind, putting him on the edge of life. His body trembled at the thought of becoming like that man one day. Wrapping his arms tightly around his legs, Jin buried his head in his knees as he let out shaky breaths. Jin didn't get a wink of sleep that night, in fear of never waking up as himself.

 

"Woah, someone seems to have woken up from the wrong side of the bed," Hoseok commented as he chewed on his food, glancing over at Jin. "What's wrong?"

"Please don't ask. I don't want to talk about it," Jin muttered. On other days, Hoseok would've let it go but on that particular day, he felt the need to pester Jin.

"Is this because you got rejected by that Hyun Ji chick?" Hoseok asked as he wriggled his brows. The rest of the guys at the table could feel the aura radiating from Jin but none of them knew how to stop Hoseok. Jin didn't answer but simply threw Hoseok a sharp glare, a sign for the other to quit his nonsense.

"So...I'm right?" Hoseok asked, void of reaction. Jin took a deep breath to calm himself down. His level of patience was on the low that day. Looking at Hoseok, Jin told him that Hyun Ji had nothing to do with his bad mood and that he didn't like her at all. The tone he used should've been a warning to Hoseok but the latter was completely oblivious to the hint. Hoseok continued to taunt him, telling him to stop denying the fact that he liked Hyun Ji. With every word that escaped Hoseok's mouth, Jin's patience decreased. Multiple times Jin had told the other to stop but Hoseok went on. It grew clear to the rest that they should say or do something to shut Hoseok's mouth but before anyone could take action, Jin reached his limit. Standing from his seat, Jin grabbed Hoseok by his collar and brought his face inches away from Jin's.

"When I tell you to stop, you stop, Hoseok." At the mention of his real name instead of the usual 'J-Hope' he'd hear coming from the elder's mouth, Hoseok's eyes widened and so did the rest of the guys on the table. The canteen fell into a silent as all eyes were on the two. Among those people was Hyun Ji, surprised with the situation before her. The grip on Hoseok's collar tightened as Hoseok struggled to get out of his grip, apologizing to Jin but the elder would have none of it. Hoseok stared into Jin's eyes, a spark of fire evident in them. Chills ran up and down Hoseok's spine as fear inched up his whole being. Namjoon, being the first to react, called Jin's name, snapping Jin out of the trance he was in. Immediately, the look in his eyes change. Fear. Confusion. 

"Aish." Releasing Hoseok, Jin stormed off towards the exit, making eye contact with Hyun Ji for a second before leaving the canteen. 

Anger. His trigger is anger. Hyun Ji's eyes made its way towards Namjoon, who was staring back at her. Something about the look in his eyes told Hyun Ji that she should follow Jin but for a moment, Hyun Ji hesitated. In no time, Hyun Ji was out the door. The rest of the canteen was still in shock but after receiving the look from Namjoon, everyone went on as though nothing had happened. If it was any other person, they wouldn't have cared but Namjoon had that aura. It was just something about him that told them they shouldn't go against him. Namjoon scanned the rest at his table who were still trying to register the situation. Hoseok was rubbing his chest and taking deep breaths as Taehyung helped to calm him down. Hoseok was still in his own world, the look in Jin's eyes being the only thing on his mind.

It was different. He was different.

"No one brings this whole incident up ever again, am I clear?" Namjoon said, getting absent-minded nods from the four of them. Sitting down, Namjoon checked on Jungkook next to him. Seeing the younger trembling, Namjoon patted him and comforted him but Jungkook was too shaken up to pay attention to the other's words. 

 

Hyun Ji went down the hallway, the sound of a basketball bouncing off the floor getting louder with every step she took. Eventually, she stood in front of the basketball court and stood rooted to the ground, unsure of her next move. She watched as Jin dribbled the ball harder than he should. Countless times Jin tried to shoot some hoops but he constantly missed. At the next try, he failed again as the ball missed the rim of the hoop and bounced towards him. Catching the ball, Jin threw it aside, letting out his frustration. Panting, he stood on the spot for a while before sitting down and hanging his head low. Hyun Ji considered walking away for a second but her instincts told her to carry on with whatever she had planned to do. Taking a deep breath, Hyun Ji approached the still figure, her heart drumming in her ears. The sound of her footsteps echoed about the court, causing Jin's brows to furrow for a moment.

"Not right now Namjoon-ah. I'm not in the mood so just leave me alone." The words uttered from his mouth had no effect on Hyun Ji as she continued to stride towards him. Still hearing the footsteps, Jin let out a frustrated sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. Turning around, he expected to see Namjoon standing before him but instead, it was Hyun Ji. The silent air echoed around them as the two stared at each other. A hint of surprise was evident in Jin's eyes while Hyun Ji was completely expressionless. Being the first to break the eye contact, Hyun Ji sat down next to Jin and the silence continued. Neither knew what to say or do. One was confused while the other was completely unsure of what she was trying to achieve. Before the silence grew even more uncomfortable, Jin turned to her.

"Why are you h-" 

"That wasn't you back there, now was it?" Jin's heart skipped a beat upon hearing that question cutting off his words. His mouth was left slightly open, his throat was getting drier by the second. His palms grew sweaty as he stared into a pair of eyes that were completely unreadable. Hyun Ji kept a calm demeanor even though every part of her body was signaling a red flag. She wasn't going to heed to those signals at that point of time. After a short silence with the two drifting off in their own thoughts, Jin asked her if she knew which in return, she nodded. When Jin asked her how she knew, she hesitated answering, unsure of what to say. Eventually, she decided to tell the truth and told him that she overheard his conversation with Namjoon at the balcony.

Jin kept quiet for a second before heaving a sigh. "Yeah, I have split personality. You know, it's unfair how you know my darkest secret yet I don't know the slightest bit about you. Why are you-"

Just like that, something switched inside Hyun Ji and she was reminded of the baggage she had with her. 

"I'm sorry, I - I shouldn't be here." In a frenzy, she got up. Just as she was about to leave the basketball court, Jin stood up and said, "So that's it? You're just going to run off again? After approaching me out of nowhere, you run away the moment I bring you up as the topic of our conversation? Why is so hard for you to open up to me or to anyone, in this case."

Hyun Ji stopped in her tracks, his words encircling her. "How long are you going run away? How long are you going to hide in the shadows?"

Tightening her hand into a fist, Hyun Ji grit her teeth. "Don't talk to me like that when you do the same thing."

"I don't ask people to ignore me. I don't pretend I'm invisible," Jin answered, stripping her off her calm demeanor. His words stabbed her in every way possible, inching her off of her tolerance level. She tried to push out his words but they were the only ones wandering about her mind, poking at her sanity. Out of nowhere, Hyun Ji turned to face him, her eyes ablaze.

"If you had a father who was wrongly charged for murder and has been in prison waiting for his trial while people back in your hometown labeled him cold-heartedly, you would. You would for the sake of protecting your family and its name. When I first came to this school, I told myself one thing and it was to trust no one. And if you were me, you wouldn't trust anyone either." Hyun Ji fell into a shock.

I just did the one thing I wasn't supposed to and I just told everything to the one person I wasn't supposed to. Hyun Ji stood on the spot, her eyes wide open as they stared at the floor. No words could describe how stupid she felt. The one time I make a promise to myself, I had to go and break it. 

"My father was dragged into the asylum for having split personality and losing control of himself."


 

A/N: Okay so once again, I am so sorry for the super late update. I could barely get my hand on the laptop with all the homework being thrown at me. Anyway, I've put great thought into this chapter and I hope you've enjoyed reading it. More secrets have been revealed. Jin's father in the asylum, say what now?

What do you think will happen in the next chapter? Leave your comments below. Let me know what you think of this chapter or the story so far because like I always say, comments keep me going. I'll try my hardest to update soon but I can't make any promises okay? Therefore, I'd like to thank all my readers who have been putting up with my late updates and have been patient with me. I love you guys.

On a side note, have you seen them Bangtan teasers? Dayum, Yoongi be looking hot as . That man can slay me anytime. I'm just waiting for Tae's teaser photo and then I'll be complete. Yes, those two are my first biases. I was kind of hoping for an MV for Hold Me Tight or Converse High since those two are my favorite songs from the album but oh well, Sick works too. 

This is not related to Bangtan but have you seen Seventeen's mv and checked out their album? I have been waiting so long for their debut. Pledis was testing my patience each time they postponed Seventeen's debut. But damn, I now support that decision of theirs because Seventeen is one hell of a well-rounded group. And can I just say the album was gold. Woozi did an amazing job as a producer and Hoshi impressed me with his choreographing skills. Seungcheol and Hansol be slaying me every second. I'm proud to say they were my biases wayyy before Seventeen debuted and they are still my bias after debut. Seokmin is trying to ruin that though. Damn it. Okay, enough babbling. Remember to leave your comments hehe.

P.S. I have yet to proof-read so please don't hate me. I don't know how many times I've nearly written Jin as Jimin. Ugh, silly me.

-RedGuitarist