Chapter 1

Second Choice

A/N: It has been a long time since I've wrote a one shot or chapter so I hope this chapter doesn't disappoint you readers! I'm still learning how to write better so there might be mistakes somewhere and don't be shy to point it out to me alright? :)


The happiest moment for Stephanie, or better known as Tiffany, was when her five year boyfriend, Nichkhun, proposed to her on her 25th birthday in front of her family members and friends. She swore it was the best day of her life and nothing could replace it. Nichkhun was everything to her. He was like a best friend, a brother and sometimes like a father to her. The guy was everything she could ask for. It might have sounded exaggerated but it was true for Tiffany. Nichkhun was just enough for her. He was her main source of happiness after her mother failed to battle the cancer inside of her. He was the first to make her smile again.

 

 

 

After her fiancé had left for work, Stephanie did not know what to do. She had been at home the whole time for the past three days. It wasn't that she did not have a job, but it was because she was feeling unwell. She had run under the rain while trying to catch a bus but did not manage to. In the end, she called her father to ask one of his worker to pick her up since Nichkhun was overseas for a week to complete a project with a Japanese company.

 

Looking at the clock, Tiffany puffed her cheeks when the hour hand touched twelve telling her that it was already noon. She groaned out loud and threw her head backwards exasperatingly. She could not just stay at home. Besides, she had just recovered from her fever. She wanted to do something instead of staying home since she was not ill anymore. Pulling her phone out, Tiffany decided to call Nichkhun and asked if he was free for lunch.

 

Tiffany grinned when she saw her fiancé making his way out of the building. They first met when Tiffany was at a park silently sobbing to herself. Pitying the girl, Nichkhun bought another ice cream and hoped that she would not find it creepy. He quietly walked over to Tiffany and patted her shoulder. Startled, Tiffany looked up for a brief moment before looking away as she did not want him to see her already red eyes. "I hope an ice cream can cheer you up. I'm not a creep or anything. I won't do anything bad to you," he said nervously to her and smiled sheepishly.

 

Slowly looking up once again, Tiffany realised how good-looking the guy was and fell in love with him at first sight. She felt her heart palpitated and she knew her feelings were not playing around with her. A slight blush appeared on her cheeks as she accepted the ice cream and muttered a thanks to him as she began to her ice cream. A wide grin was formed on Nichkhun's face when she had accepted his ice cream. Taking a seat beside her, Nichkhun started eating his ice cream as well. "My name's Nichkhun," he introduced himself.

 

"Tiffany," she said and for the first time after her mother's death, she was seen smiling again.

 

Back to the present, Nichkhun wrapped his arm around Tiffany's waist giving her a light squeeze as he kissed her forehead. Tiffany, who was smiling widely, inhaled his scent and tiptoed to place a quick peck on his lips. A small chuckle escaped from the guy's lips as he found her action really cute. Tiffany was about to say something when Nichkhun cut her off all of a sudden. "Don't worry. I've already resereved a table at the nearest restaurant for our lunch," he said and interlocked their fingers together. "Let's go now shall we?" he looked at her and smiled before walking together to the restaurant.

 

The walk to the restaurant was silent but it was a comfortable one. To the both of them, as long as they were beside each other, it would not matter if they communicated or not. Just having each other's presence was enough. "I reserved a table under my name, Nichkhun Horvejkul," he told the waiter once they reached the restaurant.

 

"Right this way sir," the waiter took two menus and lead them the way.

 

Being a gentleman, Nichkhun helped his fiancé pulled her chair and waited for her to seat before pushing the chair in slightly. He pecked her cheek lightly before taking a seat opposite of her. "What would you like to eat?" he asked as he flipped the menu.

 

"I think I'll just have the spaghetti carbonara," she replied as she did the same action as Nichkhun. The latter nodded and called for the waiter.

 

"We would like to order one spaghetti carbonara, one fish n chips and two iced tea please," he ordered and smiled to the waiter as a sign of courtesy. The waiter left for the kitchen and Nichkhun sat back against his chair. "Is my baby feeling well now?" he asked, smiling teasingly to Tiffany. "I'm really sorry I couldn't take care of you."

 

"I'm not a baby!" Tiffany whined, earning a small chuckle from Nichkhun. "I'm alright now and it's okay. I understand you have a lot of work to do since you're going to take over your father's company soon."

 

"Thanks for your understanding Tiff," he smiled gratefully and held onto Tiffany's hands squeezing them firmly. "I really can't wait for our wedding."

 

"I can't wait for it too. It has always been my dream to walk down the aisle," Tiffany said and smiled, her eyes forming two crescent moons. Nichkhun smiled and played with the ring on Tiffany's finger. He lifted her hand up slightly and kissed her hand lightly, making her blush. "I love you," she told him shyly.

 

"I love you too Tiffany," he grinned widely.

 

Nichkhun had to return back to work straight after lunch. Tiffany did not want to go home just yet so he told her that she would be walking around town and also promised that she would stay safe. The guy was really protective towards Tiffany. He did not like seeing Tiffany hurt at all. Out of the blue, someone grabbed onto Tiffany's wrist and she was pulled into a van. She wanted to scream but a cloth was quickly placed over her nose and mouth. She kicked around hoping that the kidnapper would release her but it was to no avail when the chlorofoam had taken over and Tiffany passed out.

 

When Tiffany woke up, she heard a faint noise somehwere in the room. A man was shouting loudly and she saw two shadows a few metres away to her left. She blinked her eyes for a few times before her vision got clearer although her head was slightly throbbing from the chlorofoam earlier on. She felt restricted and realised that she had been tied to a chair and was covered with a cloth while her hands and legs were tied. Her wrists were getting numb as the knot was really tight that it could almost pierce through her skin. Tiffany wriggled around hoping that the knots would loosen up but she gave up knowing it could never happen. Whoever the kidnapper was must have kidnapped a lot of people in the past.

 

The place turned into an eerie silence when a loud thud could be heard coming from the two people. Tiffany's eyes widened as she quickly turned her head to look at them. Although it was unclear as the room was dimly lit, she was sure that one of them had hit the other and the latter fell hard onto the ground. She was surprised when her phone rang suddenly, alerting the guy. Tiffany quickly closed her eyes and pretended to still be unconscious. She had a feeling she would get hurt as well if she remained conscious.

 

The dragging of shoes could be heard getting louder and louder every second. Tiffany was trying hard not to tremble so that she would remain unnoticed. She felt someone's hands touching both her pockets before her phone was pulled out. She wanted to scream and asked whoever it was to return it back but yet again, she knew she would be in deep trouble if she did that. Deciding to keep safe, Tiffany stayed really still and waited until the person's presence was far away from her. 

 

Tiffany did not know whether it had been minutes, hours or even a day had passed. She was too frightened to open her eyes and see. She had been wondering why was she kidnapped. She was neither rich nor famous and her father only owned a small restaurant. Her thoughts then trailed to her fiancé. Did the kidnapper have something against him? Did Nichkhun do something that made the kidnapper angry? "No, that can't be it. He wouldn't put me in trouble," Tiffany thought and frowned at her own negativity.

 

"When are you going to wake up huh? Or are you pretending to sleep?"

 

Tiffany tensed up when she heard the voice. She crinkled her nose when she smelled the alcohol from the guy. It made her feel like puking. The smell of alcohol was too strong that Tiffany was getting a little dizzy. Slowly, she opened her eyes and saw the guy smirking. From his looks, the guy was only in his early thirties. If he was not drunk, he would have looked good to Tiffany. However, since he was her kidnapper, Tiffany thought of him as a psychopath. "Have you..decided to wake up now?" he chuckled, his voice slightly slurred. He took off the cloth that was blocking Tiffany's mouth and threw it aside.

 

The first thing she did was to scream for help. The guy laughed and shook his head. "This room is soundproof, Miss Hwang," he smiled slyly. "Scream as much as you want."

 

"W-who are you?" Tiffany asked, her voice trembling.

 

"Let's put it this way. Your fiancé is a very good friend of mine until he betrayed me," he answered and frowned afterwards. "Now, no more questions. I'm going to have fun with you," he smirked and began to his shirt.

 

"Nichkhun isn't a betrayer! You must have had the wrong person," Tiffany defended her fiancé. The guy however ignored whatever she said and got closer to her, caressing her cheeks softly. "Get away from me you freak!" she screamed again.

 

"You're beautiful. I guess that's why Nichkhun likes you," he mumbled and slide his hand down Tiffany's cheek to her exposed thigh, rubbing it sensually.

 

Tiffany felt like crying. A lone tear fell and the guy growled lowly. "Why are you crying?" he asked and cupped her cheeks roughly making the girl whimper in fear.

 

"L-let me g-go," Tiffany sobbed. "I-I can talk to Nichkhun about this."

 

"I don't give a damn about him anymore. I just want to see him suffer."

 

Tiffany was surprised when the guy dropped to the ground all of a sudden. Just a moment ago, the guy was about to do something bad to her. How was he on the ground now? She gasped as she saw blood oozing out of his head profusely. Slowly, she looked up and saw a petite girl holding a glass bottle that was already broken after hitting the guy's head. The latter's hand was shaking and she looked really shocked at what she had just done. Shaking her head and letting go of the bottle, she ran to Tiffany and quickly untied the ropes before the guy regained conscious.

 

Tiffany looked at the girl. The latter's face was bruised and there were a lot of cuts on her arms. "I bet she's beautiful without all those cuts and bruises on her body. She looks like a baby.." Tiffany shook her head to prevent herself from thinking any further about the girl. "No Tiff. You can't think like that. She's one of your kidnappers too for crying out loud! But... she's helping me escape though."

 

The girl hurriedly pulled Tiffany up by the wrist - after she was done with all the knots - when she heard her boss groaning in pain. Gripping onto Tiffany's wrist tightly, she pulled Tiffany along with her to the van that was used to kidnap the latter earlier on. She kept on turning to the back to see if her boss was running to capture them or not and to her relieve, he was still on the ground, not moving at all. She gently pushed Tiffany into the passenger seat and quickly got into the driver's seat, driving as far as possible from the guy.

 

"Why are you helping me?" Tiffany asked to break the awkward silence. The girl only shrugged. Wrinkling her nose, Tiffany crossed her arms and leaned back against the seat. "Why aren't you answering my question?"

 

The girl pulled the car to a side and stopped driving. She fished out Tiffany's phone from her pocket and handed it to the girl. "Oh my... Thank you so much!" Tiffany thanked her as she took her phone from the girl's hand. She was surprised but at the same time happy to see that Nichkhun had called and texted her more than ten times. She wanted to call her fiancé back but the girl took the phone away and opened up a new message, typing in a few words. "What are you doing?" Tiffany asked her with a small frown. The latter returned her phone back and Tiffany read the text. She then realised that her saviour could not talk at all. "Oh... are you mute? I'm sorry if that offended you."

 

The girl shook her head and showed her a small smile. She took Tiffany's phone again and typed, "I'll send you home now. Just tell me the way. Again, I'm really sorry for my boss' behaviour a moment ago. He really had a bad past with your fiancé(?). I know somehow he really didn't mean to kidnap you all the sudden."

 

"Promise me something," Tiffany said after she had read the text. The girl looked at Tiffany with her head tilted slightly. "After you send me home, I don't want to see you and your boss or whoever he is anymore. Got it? Pretend none of this ever happened." The girl just gave a small nod before starting the engine once again to send Tiffany back home.