Chapter 1

Happy 27th of November

Happy 27th of November

"Baekhyun, do you really want to learn how to play guitar and that you are willing to buy me a new one? Because that's really really once in an any colored moon." Chanyeol asked the shorter as he let his fingers touch a string of guitar that made a sound. He really love playing guitars.

He never thought that Baekhyun, would spend money for Chanyeol. The shorter doesn't want to treat Chanyeol even if its just five tokens at the arcade for Pete's sake.

He guess, love can really change people.

"Shut up. But yeah, in fact, I want to buy you an apology gift since I forgot about your birthday last year so yeah.." Baekhyun said as he looked around the shop for a perfect guitar for his best friend. He was looking for something that Chanyeol will love and has a meaning to it. "Anyway, no hard feelings about it okay? Besides, you already forgave me, right?" He finished his sentence with a slight laugh maybe to lighten the mood a bit. It did work, but not for the taller. Chanyeol's one and only best friend since he moved in with his family in Seoul (last three years), his brother, the one he loves, his everything forgot his 20th birthday. Of course it's okay.

it.

Chanyeol still pains it but he doesn't show. He had to hid the sting. He had to. He doesn't want Baekhyun, his bestfriend, to feel more guilty. Chanyeol has to think that Baekhyun is busy and stressed just to assure himself that he's still and forever will be Baekhyun's bestfriend. He just have to.

Chanyeol smiled for the sake of the act and lies. "Of course, never do that again okay? I'll really get mad at you." He said, trying to get the male scared by his warning. He half-meant it to be honest.

Baekhyun laughed, showing his cresent moon eye smile. Chanyeol loves that smile, his smile, Baekhyun's smile. It's a delight and a prick to his heart. "Like you would do that! How can you possibly be mad at me when you obviously love me!"

Chanyeol, as if on cue, suddenly became frozen. He nervously laughed it off. Wondering if Baekhyun really knows. He was sure he hid, and still hiding his feelings. He was sure he's doing a good job at hiding it. He was really sure of it.

How come Baekhyun know?

"Aha! I have found the perfect one~!" Baekhyun suddenly beam holding up a guitar.

Chanyeol sighed as he finally realized it was just a friendly joke.

Chanyeol collected his self and looked at the shorter holding and waving up a guitar to the air, still wearing his adoring eye smile. Chanyeol wishes to own that smile, but to dismay, he can't. He just can't. Baekhyun will always show that eye smile Chanyeol really loves to other people. Baekhyun's other people.

Chanyeol smiled and made his way to Baekhyun. He is a little bit scared that the guitar might break from all the waving Baekhyun was doing.

As he made his way to the shorter, he could say that Baekhyun has this different smile for Chanyeol. Chanyeol felt a sting.

When he reached his destination to Baekhyun, the shorter hands him a plain brown guitar. "This is it?" He asked the boy, raising his left eyebrow.

"You don't like it? I can feel this is so you to be honest.." The shorter murmured.

"This is me? How come?"

"Well, you see, once you look at this guitar, you'll probably say its plain and boring but if you look closely, you'll see the little designs hidden to it that can make this guitar look beautiful.." The shorter said as he moves his delicate fingers through the surface of the guitar. Chanyeol looked carefully and saw, suprisingly, little designs on the brown surface. "..Just like you." The shorter continued and smiled sincerely to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol was a little shocked to the compliment, he  chuckled. "I think you're the one that's beautiful Baek." Chanyeol meant it. Every move Baekhyun makes, its just wonderful for Chanyeol. Every smile, every expression, his voice, every vibration he makes whenever he was shocked.. All of it, is pure ecstasy to Chanyeol.

Baekhyun laughed. "No, wait, what, No! What I mean is you're boring and lame but once people get to know you, they will see the little designs hidden inside of you." Baekhyun said whole-heartedly smiling.

Chanyeol was in awe, he never expected that Baekhyun will ever thought of that. He want to kiss him and hug him right now, but he shouldn't, he couldn't, he can't.

"All I heard was boring and lame."

"Oh shut up and take my wallet. Change the guitar if you want to." Baekhyun irritatedly threw his wallet to Chanyeol and walked away from the taller.

"I was just playing Baek!"

"Talk to my you idiot." Baekhyun continued to walk away from Chanyeol. Chanyeol held his shoulders to stop him from getting away. Eventually, Baekhyun did stop and looked up at the taller.

"I have an appointment with your , is it in today?"

With Chanyeol's joke, Baekhyun laughed and hit the taller.

"I really love the guitar Baekhyun, really, thanks." Chanyeol shook the guitar he's holding. He's indeed grateful of the guitar. He will consider this as the real birthday gift Baekhyun should have given him last year instead of a regular mentos Chanyeol really love. Chanyeol didn't ate it, its just sitting at his bedside next to his wrist watch.

"You should be, I see a lot of zeros on the price." Baekhyun said.

"Well, you're the one who's paying so I don't care." Chanyeol said showing off his set of teeth Baekhyun envies.

" you." Baekhyun hisses as he hands out his credit card to the cashier.

 


"You know, I don't need to teach you how to play guitar, you can always ask me to play you a song." Chanyeol said as he his peanut butter ice cream.

"Why didn't you say that earlier! I spent 250 bucks on an instrument I don't even play when I could just ask you to play something! You jerk!" He keeps punching Chanyeol's arm. Chanyeol also likes it.

"Oh and I thought you wanted to buy me something because you forgot my birthday!" Chanyeol backfires. It's not that he is too lazy to teach Baekhyun or anything but, he knows the shorter always takes care of his hands. And he also loves Baekhyun's hands. He doesn't want them to have calluses and become big like his. No way in hell that he would let that happen.

"Well, that was a mistake because it will never happen again."

I sure hope so Baek, my birthday is coming soon.

"Oh yeah? When is my birthday?"  

"27th of November right? It's on November 27 right?" Chanyeol smiled.

I really hope you won't forget that special date Baekhyun.

An idea appeared on his head. He suddenly thought of fooling Baekhyun. That's what Chanyeol thinks he's doing but deep deep inside of his tortured heart, he just wants to test Baekhyun if he really knew his birthday and if he will never really forget it.

"Are you sure? I can't believe you're still not sure about my special day Baek."

Chanyeol hopes Baekhyun disagrees and say his birthday really is on November 27.

Just say no Baek.

Baekhyun looked at him, eyebrows meeting."W-what? I'm sure it is November 27.." He murmured, enough for Chanyeol to hear.

Chanyeol is starting to feel the pain again. It's not only about the forgetting and not being sure about his birthday. The pain he's feeling is that being doubtful of Baekhyun if he's still the shorter's best friend. That's the only relationship he achieved to the shorter and now..

Please Baek, It hurts again. My heart hurts again.

A period of silence came.

"Well then, November 30?" Baekhyun suddenly blurted

What?

Chanyeol sat quiet. His mind is still processing what his beloved best friend responded. November 30 is quite near to November 27, its just three days but still, Baekhyun doesn't know it. And hell, it's obviously, not Chanyeol's birthdate.

Wrong answer Baek.

Chanyeol just stares. His mind is filled with doubt while his heart aches with pain, just plain freaking pain.

"Aha, so it is on November 30! See, like I said I wouldn't forget it, last year was just a mistake." Baekhyun said as he was eyeing his sundae and took a spoonful and shoved into his mouth. "Right?"

Chanyeol just smiled weakly. That's all he can do for now, smile, lie and make Baekhyun happy.

I wish my feelings for you is also just a mistake too Baek. I don't want pain anymore.

 


Chanyeol went home that night sleepy, exhausted, and hurt. He should be happy that Baekhyun bought him a guitar and be the highlight of his day with the shorter, but again, no. His highlight is the November 30 thing.

He just sat on the bed and frustratingly put his hands on his head. He rubbed his face using his left hand for unknown reason.

Chanyeol has known Baekhyun for three years, and in that three years, Chanyeol fell. He can't help it. Baekhyun is too wonderful not to fall in love with.

And he's still inlove.

He did not regret it. Falling in love to Baekhyun is perfect, as Chanyeol thinks. The fluttering butterflies, the increasing beats of his heart, the sudden delight he's feeling whenever he sees the smaller, the jealousy towards other males.. All of these, makes Chanyeol alive and happy.

Baekhyun makes him alive and happy.

Until.

"Chanyeol, I would like you to meet Jongin, I met him at the mall last week." Baekhyun introduced.

Baekhyun is wearing his smile. The special smile. Rectangle-shaped open smile that can see the male's canine teeth, not to mention, Chanyeol's favorite cresent moon eye smile.

Only this time, it's different. He swear to God, he can see sparks accompanying his smile.

He knows this because, Baekhyun always do that smile in front of him. He can find the difference. There are no sparks when it comes to him.

About the sparks, he can see them, for Chanyeol does this when it comes to the shorter. His smile is also with sparks whenever he's with Baekhyun.

His friends also sees it, the sparks of Chanyeol always emitting when with the shorter. And Chanyeol knows it too.

Chanyeol is in love with Baekhyun.

Baekhyun is in love with Jongin.

He only feels pain now. Baekhyun is all about Jongin and not the giraffe-like Chanyeol anymore.
 

On Chanyeol's birthday, he is planning to confess his long time feelings for the shorter. That makes the date November 27  special for Chanyeol. Chanyeol's birthday might end either in delight or in crestfallen.

Chanyeol hopes for it to end in delight. But he knew it will end in despair.

He envisions that Baekhyun will hug him and cry out of joy for the taller's words and accept his love for the shorter.

He pictures Baekhyun, tears drawing visible lines on his cheeks while smiling the smile at Chanyeol.

In a split second, Baekhyun's smile that Chanyeol own was showing inside his head.

He stares blankly at the carpet of his room.

He wanted to cry at this moment.

Baekhyun's friendly smile for Chanyeol appeared on his head.

The spark-less smile Bekhyun always makes.