015

The Game of the Maze

The 11 boys were crowding in the airport, standing in front of the waiting area. Through a wide glass window, they saw a jet waiting for them. Yes, the tickets that Jung sent was for their own private jet. Kris sighed impatiently. As usual, there was a TV in the airport, but this one was bus doing a commercial about ham and cheese. A burly man with a stern face walked up to them, doubt evident in his eyes.

"What are you guys doing here?" Mr. Park immediately stood up and introduced them. He showed the burly man the boarding pass. Sehun and Luhan looked at the black jet in awe, fantasizing about what there was inside. Lay and Kyungsoo observed the man. 

"Oh. Right. Mr. Park, please follow us, you will be boarded." Kris bolted up first and grabbed his 2 suitcases. All of the boys bought along 2 suitcases. They didn't know how long they were going to stay...so yeah. 

The man bought them down a long hallway with no windows. There was a painting of a field of flowers hanging but that was the only decoration. The floor was carpeted dark blue with swirls of black and white. A gold handrail was on either side of the hall.

"Here you are. Please have a safe trip." Kris could see that the man was reluctant to bow to them but he did so anyways. Mr. Park beamed at him before ushering them boys into the jet.

Sehun was gaping along with Kai when they took a step inside the jet. Mr. Park didn't blame them. It was like a limousine. There were seats across from each other. Not exactly a seat, more like a sofa. The sofa was white and plush looking. There were tables in the front of the jet, filled with an assortment of fruits. A huge mirror huge near the back. A knob in the center of the mirror allowed the door to swing open to a nice bathroom. It wasn't clearly seen but it was there. Buttons sat along the wall. Settling down and putting their luggage under their chairs, Chanyeol pressed the button. A table extended and there was a menu and some other buttons. The boys all figured that it was to order food. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were grinning like idiot. Chen was giddily opening the curtain and looking out the window. 

All of the boys settled down in their respective seats and the wide-screen TV up in front hanging over the table filled with fruits. They started to monitor their friends and make hushed plans as the plane rose up higher and higher. 

Hyeri was once again sent to the medical part of the 'prison' she was in. Jung delivered her there and then left. Soori was taking out another blood packet from the drawer when she saw Hyeri walk in. Jung observed Soori take a needle and clean it with disinfectant. Once Jung left, Soori pulled up a metallic chair and sat in front of Hyeri. 

"Hyeri, I'm going to tell you about your grandma," Soori brushed invisible lint off her coat and began.

"At age 3, she went to preschool. I met her then. She was stubborn and rude. She would always play by herself in a corner with her own imaginations. The teacher did not know what to make of her, so she just continued to encourage her to play. When we went to kindergarten, she proved herself a genius. She could add double digits at the end of kindergarten as well as subtract double digits. I always admired her from afar since she was like the ice, untouchable. As school years went on, she had no friends and didn't bother to try to get any. She was always silent and reserved to herself. The teacher always praised her about her handwriting, her quick reading, her thorough answer to questions and her wonderful math skills. When she went to fifth grade, she started her change. She became tall, and beautiful to say the very least. We got accepted into the same middle school. There, she had plenty of admirers, but she never bothered to befriend them. Every morning, she would walk in with a cold face. During class, her mind would probably drift off since she never listened. And so it was like that. I was lucky to get into the same highschool as her. When I got to the same highschool, I decided to do it. I decided to make her my friend. I had a couple friends myself, but I wanted to be friends with your grandmother. So I plopped down next to her during lunch. She ignored me and continued to chew on her pasta. Fangirls and fanboys were all glaring at me, but I didn't care. We ate in silence. For 2 months, I did that over and over. I started to chitchat to her and sometimes she would answer my question. One Tuesday night, I got sick due to a storm. I didn't go to school then next day. Later on in the evening, there was a doorbell at my door. I loved alone so I had no idea who was going to visit me. I opened the door and there she sat. Your cold grandmother decided to come and tend me! It was like my dream came true. By the end of the school year, we were bests of friends, but something about her. There was something she refused to tell anyone. And I was determined to find out. We stayed best friends until she died. Before she died, she sent me a note and I read it. It was about her dreamscaping." Soori's voice had became hushed by the end of the story. Hyeri looked at her plainly with no expression on her face.

Was she that stupid to think that a small story would make Hyeri trust her?

Pfft, she wished her luck earning trust from her because at this rate? It was getting nowhere. The door burst open, startling both of them. Jung walked in with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face. Something about his stance or face told Hyeri that he had heard. Maybe not all of the story but half of it. Soori's guilt stricken face was all she saw in her mind.

Dread filled my stomach. Hyeri was dead meat.