Thick and Thin

Through Thick and Thin
Please log in to read the full chapter

My feet couldn’t drag me any quicker even if I wanted to. Truth was that was impossible. The feeling of my heart bursting off my chest was overpowering, and although I felt weak to the core, the least of strength that was left in my body had multiplied. That was the only thing that kept me on my feet.

I could tell the inside of the building was cold, there was people rubbing their arms together. But the rush had heated me up; I couldn’t feel such a thing. People were staring at me as I searched for a nurse as if I was a crazy person. But no one knew what happened to me to really judge me fairly.

“Where is he…?” –I finally stopped frantically in front of the nurse station. I was breathing heavily and my words almost lost their meaning from the heaving.

“Mrs.… Calm down… Who are you looking for?” –She stood up and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. Not that it was comforting at all.

“Wu… Wu Yi Fan… So-Someone called me he was here…” –I still stuttered, my tears were in the merge of falling but I held myself strongly.

She looked down to her computer and started to type. Before she exposed his room number she asked.

“And who are you to him…?”

“His fiancé…”

 

-

We stopped in his room where she kindly escorted me to. Thoroughly she explained everything that had happened, and the procedures that were taken on him. Turned out I was also listed as his authorized guardians, which is why I had received the notice in the first place. I bitted my lip, how could I have been so oblivious not to realize how he was truly feeling. I shut my eyes tightly to keep the waterfalls from falling and placed my hand firmly on the door to slide it open.

“We hope he feels better soon… We’ll take good care of him. He’s in good hands.” –Those were her last reassuring words. I nodded with a faint smile, the least I could do for someone who treated me nicely.

I finally took on determination to open the door, and entered the room. I finally felt the cold hit my skin; it could’ve also been because of the goose bumps I was feeling. I could hear the machine beep slowly, filling the void space of the room. Again my heart beat increased upon the sight of my dear man lying on the bed.

He was hooked to the beeping machine by wires, and he had an IV dripping to his left arm. He looked pale, and his dark circles were darker, darker than usual, it was a scary sight. I cupped my lips to avoid a sob to wake him from his slumber as I approached him.

He was in peace; I didn’t want to startle him. The only thing that kept me from saying anything is that the nurse said that he was only resting because of the medicines, but he was conscious before falling asleep. I grabbed a chair nearby and scooted closer to him. I took his free hand carefully and placed a soft kiss in the back of it. Even if he wasn’t awake yet, at least I wanted to feel like he was still there with me.

 

 

I sat there for what seemed hours, I couldn’t fall asleep. How could I? I just watched him sleep, his chest steadily moving up and down, a little smile spread on my lips as I remembered how it feels to rest next to him.

Finally, he moved and I sat straight in expectation. He let out a huff, which seemed to be more of a groan of pain and with the hand I was previously holding rubbed his forehead. And there I was watching him wake up, and I couldn’t utter a word. When he finally acknowledged my presence, he turned to me with his eyes wide open. He opened his mouth to speak, but just as m

Please log in to read the full chapter