It's You (Lee Changsub)

Candyland

“What would you do if you lost me?”

Some questions were better left unsaid, Changsub concluded. When she had asked him that, he swore that his heart had stopped beating for a moment.  How could she even think of a question like that? …On second thought, only someone like her could think of something like that. She was different, special, unique…and while these were all positive qualities, they couldn’t shake off the sense of fear her words had instilled within him. How was he supposed to answer a question like that?

That day, he’d managed to postpone the question, but it seemed to plague his mind often. Was it the fact that losing her would disturb him greatly, or the fact he didn’t have an answer to her question? Changsub wasn’t quite sure, and while she was sleeping right beside him, he was afraid. It was a strange feeling; something that was right beside you could be taken away from you in the blink of an eye. It wasn’t a nice feeling, and he didn’t like it. Gently reaching out to play with the tips of her hair, he looked towards her from behind the covers, a worried expression on his face.

His first reaction to her question was actually fairly automatic, yet he’d stopped himself from saying it. It sounded silly, the more he thought about it, but it was the only answer that stuck with him. If she was taken away, for any reason whatsoever, he would go after her. It sounded really childish, when he thought about it, but the more he thought about it, the more it seemed to be the only answer. It was neither the right answer, nor the wrong one, but it was the only one. What if she died? The thought was frightening, but there was always the next life, right? Who was to say that life was just bound by birth, and death? It would simply mean that he would have to find her, in their next lives. 

There was a red string tying them together, of course.

In the pale moonlight filtering in through the window, Changsub could see the silhouette of his hand, if he held it up. As a child, he remembered hearing about the red thread, but he hadn’t given much thought to it. All of a sudden, though, he was sure that if he looked closely enough, he could see a faint trace of it. Shifting onto his slide, slowly, to face her, he looked closely at her hand. It was slightly fisted and in front of her face, but if he peered closely, he was sure he would see the other end of the red string.

There was only one answer, and that was his one. If she went, he’d follow. Whether it was in this life, or in the next, he would find her. All he had to do was to follow the red thread and find her, to be by her side.

Even when I’m born again, it’s still only you for me
(Tic toc tic toc) Even as time goes by

 ❀ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ❀

A/N: Changsub's the type of guy that thinks a lot, I feel. I don't know where this idea entirely originated.