Part VII

How to Play the Piano

 

“You two look cute together,” Eunhyuk commented casually, eyes locked on the television screen. He glanced at Kyuhyun’s character in the videogame, frowning when he noticed the character continued slaughtering his army.

“Huh?” Kyuhyun mumbled, fingers jabbing harshly on the game controller.

“Ryeowook-sshi and you look cute together.”

Eunhyuk immediately smiled when he saw Kyuhyun stop running. He quickly moved closer to successfully kill off Kyuhyun’s character, shouting happily at the sly victory with a large grin spreading across his face at the words ‘winner’ flashing on his side of the screen.

“You cheater!” Kyuhyun hissed; flustered at not only the loss but also exactly how he lost. “That’s so not fair!”

Eunhyuk chuckled, “I didn’t cheat at all actually. You’re the one who got all distracted, thinking about your crush. What were you imagining, Kyuhyunnie?”

“I hate you. So much.” Kyuhyun muttered, not willing to admit anything. Although, he did – for a brief second – think about how they looked together. Eunhyuk laughed at him, clearly knowing the obvious truth before gazing seriously at his friend.

“You two have gotten closer right?” Eunhyuk asked.

Kyuhyun thought about it, before nodding hesitantly. He wasn’t quite confident in his answer, but he would like to think so.

Oddly enough, they had a lot more in common, or at least that’s what both of them realized after spending what was supposed to be time teaching Kyuhyun the piano, they ended up talking for the whole hour and a half. That piano lesson was one of the best moments in Kyuhyun’s life – he never felt so accomplished that the small talk about similar music taste turned into a lengthy conversation about everything. The whole time his heart was fluttering with each smile Ryeowook gave him, and he felt a pleasantly warm feeling spread throughout his body; it felt odd, but he sort of liked the feeling.

He was still incredibly nervous around Ryeowook, but he couldn’t help it. Every piano lesson, they began talking a little bit more and more. Ryeowook didn’t seem to mind either, just so long as Kyuhyun did actually learn something about the piano.

“Yeah. I think so,” Kyuhyun agreed uncertainly.

“So when are you going to confess to him?” Eunhyuk mentioned, returning his attention back to the videogame. Despite not looking interested, he was listening attentively as he scrolled through the videogame’s menu. 

“What?”

Eunhyuk’s eyes widened, nearly getting whiplash as he turned to look at Kyuhyun. He gaped incredulously at his best friend’s clueless expression. “You never thought about confessing!?”

Kyuhyun looked away sheepishly, running his fingers through his hair. He shook his head, suddenly finding his game controller interesting. His fingers traced the buttons, unconsciously tightening his grip on the controller. As much as he didn’t want to admit it, he knew he would eventually; Eunhyuk was the only one who knew his secret at the moment. Still, just the thought of confessing brought a pink glow to Kyuhyun’s cheeks.

“I…no,” He mumbled under his breath.

“What! You’re not going to confess?!” Eunhyuk screeched, dropping his controller in the process. “Why not? Don’t you want Ryeowook to know your feelings?”

Kyuhyun glared at him, not really appreciating the scolding. “Well, there are a couple things wrong with me confessing my feelings, like for one – we can both get expelled from the school, and that’s if he even accepts my feelings. Which he won’t, since he only sees me as one of his students!”

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes, “And what else could go wrong other than being rejected?”

“It would be an awkward class for the rest of the semester!”

“You can easily change classes. What else?”

“Seonsaengnim probably doesn’t even like guys.”

“And?” Eunhyuk pressed on, instinctively knowing there was something more.

“And I don’t know how to confess even…even if I wanted to,” Kyuhyun blurted out with a huff. He rubbed his face with his hands, feeling suddenly exhausted after admitting the truth. “I wouldn’t even know what to say and just the thought of confessing makes me scared…because I know he’s going to reject me…”

Eunhyuk shifted closer to Kyuhyun, reaching over to comfort his pitiful friend. He sighed, rubbing Kyuhyun’s back in soothing circles. “I guess this is why having crushes on teacher’s are so difficult. Don’t cry.”

“I’m not going to cry,” Kyuhyun snapped, elbowing Eunhyuk.

“Ow!” Eunhyuk yelped at the jab, pulling away to rub his ribs. “As complicated as the situation is, I still think you should confess, even if it means getting rejected. You never know, maybe after your confession, Seonsaengnim will start to like you. Anything can happen really. And you know what else?”

“What?” Kyuhyun stared suspiciously at him.

“I’ll help you,” Eunhyuk smiled happily. “Although, I’ve never confessed to anybody, it can’t possibly be that hard. It happens all the time in dramas; we can just base it off one.”

Kyuhyun shook his head, already feeling like this plan was a bad idea. “I don’t know, Hyuk…”

“Oh! I got it!” Eunhyuk jumped up excitedly, not the least bit deterred by Kyuhyun’s wary stare. He reached for his phone, quickly tapping away at the touchscreen until he found what he wanted. “You should use a pick-up line!”

“A pick-up line?”

“Yeah, like this one ‘I don’t know how I’ll ever get to class on time when it’s so easy to get lost in your eyes.’” Eunhyuk read the pick-up, glancing eagerly between his cellphone and Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun scrunched his nose, visibly cringing at the pick-up line. “Ugh, no. That’s too cheesy.”

“Okay, then how about this one; ‘I bet that flute isn't the only thing you know how to blow.’” Eunhyuk suggested with a teasing glint in his eyes.

Kyuhyun’s jaw dropped, the blood rushing to his face at what it was insinuating.

“Hyuk!” Kyuhyun screeched, barely recovering from the sheer embarrassment. “You want to get me kicked out of school for ual harassment!”

Eunhyuk chuckled, scrolling through more lines. “Okay, calm down! I was just joking.”

“Please try to be serious,” Kyuhyun groaned, lying down on the floor. Maybe asking Eunhyuk for help was a bad idea.

“You know, you can always just say ‘I like you’.”

“Isn’t that too straightforward?” Kyuhyun asked sheepishly.

“Like you aren’t straightforward,” Eunhyuk shot back. “Oh! I got it!”

“What?” Kyuhyun decided to humor his best friend; his expectations and hopes were incredibly low at this point. He doubted it could get any worse.

“You should compose a song for him with pick-up lines as the lyrics, and then you can play it for him at the end of the year!”

And it just got worse.

-----------------------------

“Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun wasn’t listening as his fingers traversed the piano keys; albeit still awkwardly but the flow wasn’t disturbed at any moment. His mind had wandered off sometime during the song; the thought of confessing to his teacher had plagued his mind over the weekend and never left his thoughts.

“Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun continued to play the same small part he knew, not noticing the repetition in his absentminded state. His distant gaze was fixed on the keyboard, not paying attention to anything in particular.

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Ryeowook’s hand covered Kyuhyun’s, gently grabbing his hand. “Is everything alright?”

Kyuhyun snapped out of his thoughts, a faint blush spreading across his face when he noticed Ryeowook was holding his hand. Not wanting to offend his kind teacher, he slowly slipped his hand away – not without noticing how skinny and soft his teacher’s hands were.

“Yeah, I’m alright…I,” He paused, unsure whether to give an excuse or just tell the truth. “I just got distracted…thinking about something…” Thinking about you.

Kyuhyun kept his gaze averted, not wanting to see Ryeowook’s reaction. He didn’t want to see the blatant worry because he was afraid of what he might do if he did.

“Is it something you want to talk about?” Ryeowook asked softly, his eyes watching carefully over his student.

“I rather not.”

Ryeowook pressed his lips to prevent from pouting. He glanced at the piano before an idea slowly started forming in his head. “Kyuhyun-ah.”

Kyuhyun lifted his head, his cheeks flushing a brighter shade of red as he realized what his music teacher just called him. He didn’t bother to hide his flustered expression as he wasn’t really sure how to react to it, but apparently his body did as his heart thumped louder in his chest.

“How about we take a short break?” Ryeowook suggested kindly, “Rest for a few minutes, drink some water and just relax. It’ll make you feel better.”

Too tired to argue, he agreed with a curt nod before standing up in search of his water bottle. His sleepless nights were starting to catch up to him, as a wave of exhaustion swept through his body. He slumped down on the floor, digging through his backpack for his water bottle.

It wasn’t until he started drinking that realized Ryeowook was playing the piano, his lean body swaying to the soft tempo. There was a significant difference from how Kyuhyun played – rather clumsily and hesitant – to how Ryeowook played with a delicate precision. Kyuhyun always watched his music teacher in a mixture of awe and admiration, as lithe fingers flew across the ivory piano keys. The song being played was just as inspiring, the melody extremely sweet, carrying along an undertone of happiness and warmth to the listener. It stirred something in the depths of Kyuhyun as he felt his affection become stronger for Ryeowook.

You know, you can always just say ‘I like you.’

Kyuhyun shook his head to dismiss that thought. Despite being weary, he walked over towards the piano to listen closely. It wasn’t a surprise to see Ryeowook entranced by the music, his expression tranquil and completely vulnerable.

To Kyuhyun, Ryeowook always looked pretty, but at the moment he looked stunning under the soft glow of the afternoon sun peeking through the window.

It was that moment he realized he didn’t pick the piano because he admired the instrument. No, he admired the pianist playing it.

Ryeowook played the last few notes, smiling widely as the last note faded away. He glanced at Kyuhyun, warm brown eyes shining brightly in excitement and accomplishment.

“Seonsaengnim, what song was that?” Kyuhyun mumbled, hesitant to break the comforting silence. “I…I never heard it before.”

“I composed it myself,” Ryeowook looked pleased, playing the melody again but this time slower. “What do you think?”

I like you.”

Ryeowook abruptly stopped playing, his finger striking the wrong note in his shock. “What did you say?”

Kyuhyun inhaled sharply, realizing he blurted out his thought.

“I like it. The song.” He hastily lied, hoping by some miracle it would work. He shifted uneasily under Ryeowook’s blatant scrutiny, finding it difficult to maintain eye contact. “The song…Wha-what did you name it, again?” He added for distraction.

 “Ah. Sorry. I thought you said something else,” Ryeowook admitted with a hesitant smile, despite the tension slowly disappearing in his body. “I haven’t named the song yet, but I guess I should give it a proper title soon, huh?”

“Kyuhyun-ah?” Ryeowook asked when he heard no response from his student. He glanced up, stunned to silence by the intensity of Kyuhyun’s gaze. “Kyu-”

Before Kyuhyun could think about it, he leaned forward and pressed his lips against Ryeowook’s. Drowning in his affections for the man, his thoughts were focused on the softness of his teacher’s lips – completely ignoring how pliant they were. It wasn’t until he pulled away did he realize what he had done; his face flushing a vibrant red as he stared incredulously at Ryeowook. Oh .

 Ryeowook gaped at him with wide-eyes, mirroring the same shocked expression.

“I-I got to go. I think my Noona is here,” Kyuhyun slowly backed out the room, nearly grabbing everything in his haste to escape. “I’m sorry. I’m really sorry, Seonsaengnim.”

Kyuhyun dashed out of the room without a second glance.

 

 

 

A/N; Sorry for not updating for so long. I'm really sorry, I just got stuck for a while....Anyways, I want to thank you all for subscribing, commenting, and just reading this lame story. Thank you.