Part VI

How to Play the Piano

 

“You like him, don’t you?” Eunhyuk blurted out.

Kyuhyun froze, halting to an abrupt stop in the middle of the hallway. He turned around, staring at his friend in poorly suppressed shock.

“You like Kim-seonsangnim, right?”

The silence was the only confirmation Eunhyuk needed. He snickered, amused at the faint red hue of Kyuhyun’s ears.

“N-no, I don’t!” Kyuhyun denied a few seconds too late, still trying to recover from the shock. Completely flustered, he tried to think of any way to get out this.

Eunhyuk just smirked, causing Kyuhyun to blush harder.

“I don’t!” Kyuhyun hissed, “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

 Making an escape for it, he quickly spun around on his heel, determined to get to his locker quicker. His only plan at the moment was to pack his things and run home; no longer wanting to hang out with anybody after school, even his best friends. He need time to think, to create a lie and get out of this mess. He had only recognized his feelings for a day – how could Eunhyuk figure him out so quickly?

Eunhyuk easily matched his long strides, throwing his arm over his friend’s shoulders. Kyuhyun flinched at the contact, immediately slowing down his pace to a calm walk. He sighed heavily, knowing very well he was defeated. Eunhyuk had a tendency to not let things go easily, and he was more afraid of Eunhyuk telling the others than hiding it from his hyung.

“...How did you figure it out?” Kyuhyun mumbled, completely resigned.

“You pretty much gave yourself away. You were staring at him the entire class period.” Eunhyuk commented with a teasing grin.

Kyuhyun grimaced, not realizing he had done that.

“It was adorable,” Eunhyuk ruffled Kyuhyun’s hair, snickering when Kyuhyun roughly pushed him away.

“I hate you.”

Eunhyuk laughed at him, the conversation fading to a quiet lull as they walked side-by-side. It bothered Kyuhyun a bit, as he expected to be bombarded with questions about his crush. That’s what they always did in their group but strangely, Eunhyuk looked satisfied with just having figured it out.

“It…doesn’t bother you?” Kyuhyun hesitated, his step faltering to a complete stop. He gripped his backpack strap, his knuckles turning white at the anxious death grip. His stomach churned uneasily at the reminder of the one thought that’s been gnawing at him since the beginning of this conversation. It was his biggest fear actually, which is why he wasn’t going to tell anybody about his crush. He doesn’t even know why he’s bringing it up first, but he felt like he should.

“Hmm?” Eunhyuk peeked at Kyuhyun curiously, trying to meet his best friend’s avoiding gaze. It was a rare sight to see his typically overly-confident best friend so utterly nervous.

“That I…I like a guy,” He muttered quietly, his voice barely audible over the general noise of chattering students.

Eunhyuk shook his head, relieved at how simple the topic was – he honestly thought it was something worse. He closed the short distance between them, smiling at the rosy color of Kyuhyun’s cheeks.

“No, I don’t.” Eunhyuk patted his back, chuckling at the grateful expression he received. “Honestly, I thought you were aual.”

Kyuhyun glared at him, not the least bit amused. This hyung doesn’t take anything seriously…

“Don’t give me that look,” Eunhyuk continued to . “You never liked anybody, and you were never remotely interested in a girl. Or guy,” He quickly amended. “Honestly, I don’t care who you like, so long as you’re happy.”

Kyuhyun stared thoughtfully at his hyung. It was moments like these, rare and far too few, that he remembers what a good hyung Eunhyuk is. That this was one of the reasons why they’re best friends. “Thanks, hyung.”

Eunhyuk grinned at Kyuhyun’s sincerity. “I won’t tell the others. I’ll let you tell them when your ready.”

Kyuhyun nodded, heading to his locker. He took out a few books out from his bag, practically stuffing them in his haste to go home quickly. Eunhyuk leaned against the lockers next to Kyuhyun’s, a cheeky smile slowly spreading across his face.

“So…”

“So?” Kyuhyun reiterated with a frown. He really didn’t like that look he was receiving.

“A teacher, huh?”

Kyuhyun felt his cheeks burn again. He sighed in a mixture of exasperation and embarrassment. He should’ve known Eunhyuk wouldn’t let him off so easily. “What do you want to know?”

Eunhyuk grinned, “Everything.”

“You’re going to have to be more specific than that.” He grumbled sarcastically, slamming his locker close.

“Why do you like him?” Eunhyuk inquired, undaunted by the sulking maknae. “Is it because of his ?”

Kyuhyun’s jaw dropped, gaping incredulously at his best friend, his face a brighter shade of red at the thought of it. “What! No!”

“I never had a crush on one of my teachers, so I’m curious.” Eunhyuk explained innocently, a spark of mischief in his eyes. “What do you like about him?”

“I don’t know…” Kyuhyun blushed shyly. This was his first time talking about his crush and it felt strange to admit everything. “…His eyes?”

“What? That’s so boring!”

-----------------------

If Kyuhyun had any regret, it would probably be confiding in Eunhyuk, of all people, who he had a crush on. As much as he didn’t want to, he spent the rest of the afternoon at Eunhyuk’s house, playing video games and talking about his crush in more detail. He told him nearly everything –except for the tutoring part, because he wasn’t ready for that level of teasing yet. It was bad enough Eunhyuk already discovered his feelings in a day.

Throughout music class, Eunhyuk was already sending him smug looks and kissy faces –which left Donghae completely confused. It didn’t really make sense, since Ryeowook was focused on teaching the clarinet section today and hadn’t even looked Kyuhyun’s way other than to greet him like usual. Kyuhyun never wanted kill Eunhyuk so badly until today, because what happened to keeping it a secret?

He groaned, feeling a headache coming on whenever he thought about his idiotic friend. Eunhyuk is lucky I have tutoring, so I can’t kill him today.

He turned the corner, walking down the quiet corridor to find an unlocked practice music room. His leisure steps immediately faltered at the sound of a voice; undeniably clear yet beautiful, crooning out lyrics to a song oddly familiar to Kyuhyun. He had never heard the singer, but he has heard the song a few times.

There weren’t many talented singers at this school, and the fact that the lyrics were accompanied by the piano was enough to capture Kyuhyun’s attention. He momentarily forgot about his lessons, carefully following the enchanting voice further down the hallway.

He slowed down, on the verge of tiptoeing as he stepped closer to an occupied music room. The door was left slight a jar, unnoticed by the singer since he continued belting out high notes. Kyuhyun peeked into the room, a smile spreading across his face when he saw the lean back of his music teacher, playing the piano while swaying in his seat.

He pushed open the door, careful not to disturb his teacher as he closed it. Kyuhyun leaned against the wall, listening to the song, which he recognized instantly after hearing the chorus. He really wanted to sing along, to see if their voices matched as perfectly as he thought they would, but his fear of Ryeowook stopping, prevented him from doing so. So, he just waited, patiently and quietly as his music teacher finished up the song.

Kyuhyun watched as Ryeowook’s fingers hovered on the last key, before clapping. A short chuckle escaped him when Ryeowook flinched, startled by Kyuhyun’s appearance.

“Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook shrieked at him, a soft pink hue coloring his prominent cheekbones. Kyuhyun found it adorable, even though he was sure he looked the same. “Why didn’t you tell me you were here!”

“I didn’t know you could sing,” Kyuhyun said instead, not really having a good excuse.

“I do, but not in front of students. It’s embarrassing!” Ryeowook admitted, still flustered. He stood up from his seat, walking around the piano bench and towards his abandoned bag in the corner of the room. “You can start warming up, if you want to. I just need a quick drink.”

Kyuhyun slung his bag to the floor, pulling out his papers. He glanced at Ryeowook; needlessly, overly-aware of all his teacher’s actions.

Ryeowook dug through his backpack, not paying any attention to his student. He pulled out his water bottle as he started loosing his tie. Wait, why is he loosing his tie?

As much as he wanted to look away, his gaze remained locked on his teacher. Ryeowook chugged down his water, some droplets escaping from his haste. Kyuhyun’s eyes watched the droplets slide down Ryeowook’s chin, down the flawless skin of his teacher’s neck before disappearing underneath his white button down shirt.

Kyuhyun swallowed thickly, trying to avert his gaze but too dumbstruck to do it. Not when Ryeowook was ing the first two buttons of his shirt, revealing pale, smooth skin and an enticing peek at his collarbone.

He felt like a ert, watching his teacher so intensely. The only one he could blame was Eunhyuk, since his friend was asking him all kinds of the erted questions yesterday.

How oblivious Ryeowook was only made matters worse for Kyuhyun, as the young teacher bent down to put his water bottle away – his perfectly exposed in the air.

Oh no. This can’t be happening. Kyuhyun looked away, hastily shuffling to his seat. He could feel all the blood rushing to his face. He couldn’t believe it, really. The reason why his pants felt too tight all of a sudden made sense the moment he glanced down at his pants. He had a problem - a really embarrassing problem from something incredibly ridiculous as Ryeowook drinking water. How was that even a turn on?

Kyuhyun cursed raging hormones for imaging other things. This had never happened to him before and he didn’t know what to do – not when his teacher less than a few feet away.

“Should we review our last lesson or do you want to start on the next one?” Ryeowook asked, flipping through a notebook he found in his bag.

Kyuhyun nearly let out a squeak in surprise. Out of sheer panic, he pulled his jacket out of his backpack and placed it on his lap to cover his ‘problem’. His heart thumped wildly in his chest as he fidgeted in his seat.

“Uh…next lesson?” He muttered, wincing when his voice cracked.

“Are you okay, Kyuhyun?”

Kyuhyun didn’t dare look at his teacher. Instead, he clutched harder onto his jacket, trying think of something to say – anything to say.

“Y-yeah.” Kyuhyun answered shakily, “Just thirsty.”

“Do you want to go get some water before we start?” Ryeowook suggested, staring at his student’s pale complexion. He leaned forward to get a closer look, noticing how fidgety Kyuhyun was. “Are you sure you don’t need to go to the nurse?”

“No. I’m fine,” Kyuhyun hastily reassured him, dreading the thought of getting up from his seat. Ryeowook would see definitely his ‘problem’ and that would not only be mortifying but awkward too.

“Okay…” Ryeowook reluctantly agreed. “But if you’re not feeling well, let me know and we’ll end this lesson early.”

Kyuhyun nodded, risking at glance at Ryeowook’s direction. Either he was just incredibly unlucky or he had the worst timing, but Ryeowook had bent down to pick up a stray pencil and rather than seeing his , he got a complete view down Ryeowook’s chest. The thin white shirt clung loosely around Ryeowook’s torso, leaving a teasingly revealing gap. It provided an excellent view of lean, faintly defined muscles and more flawless, pale skin.

Kyuhyun looked away fast, trying to calm his pounding heart. He his dry lips, crossing his legs in another attempt to hide his growing desire. His heart couldn’t take much more of this teasing; this was like some sort of cruel and unusual punishment.

“Play this part,” Ryeowook instructed, sitting beside Kyuhyun.

Absentmindedly, he began playing, not even embarrassed when he made two mistakes already. He was more determined in getting rid of his ‘problem’ than anything else.

Okay, think. Think. Think.

Old people.

Old ladies with no teeth.

Grandma.

A wave of relief washed over Kyuhyun, as he felt his ‘problem’ gradually disappear. Nothing quite kills his desires more than thinking about his grandma and her dentures. He shivered in disgust just remembering it.

“Ah, I see the problem,” Ryeowook stated.

Kyuhyun stiffened in his seat, dark eyes wide in shock. He glanced at the jacket in his lap, not finding any relief that it was still draped perfectly across his lap. How did he see it?

“You’re putting too much focus onto music sheet, you’re not looking at where your hands are going.”

Kyuhyun stared at him, completely lost. “Huh?”

It wasn’t the smartest thing to say, but he was completely lost at this point.

“You keep pressing the wrong keys on accident,” Ryeowook pointed out, “Try memorizing a few notes before playing it out. Don’t be afraid to look at your hands, it’s better for beginners if you memorize your hand placement.”

“Oh,” Kyuhyun mumbled softly, slowly relaxing his tense posture. “Okay.”

Ryeowook instructed him on a few more possible techniques and tricks, before letting Kyuhyun test them out. From then on, the rest of the lesson progressed smoothly – mainly because Kyuhyun found it easier to concentrate when he didn’t have to look anywhere remotely in his teacher’s direction. He didn’t even realize two hours had gone by until Ryeowook mentioned it.

“We should probably stop for today,” Ryeowook said, reaching over to pat his student’s back. “You made a lot of progress today, Kyuhyun. You did a good job.”

Kyuhyun felt his lips twitch, a small smile spreading across his face. He looked down at the keyboard, shyly tapping at a random key. “Thank you, seonsangnim.”

“No, thank you for being a wonderful student,” Ryeowook smiled back, before standing up to gather his things.

Student. Kyuhyun bit the inside of his cheek. That word effectively reminded him of his place. It was stupid to have a crush on a teacher – even Kyuhyun knew how hopeless the situation was going to be. But he didn’t want to give up so easily, at least not without trying.

“Seonsangnim,” Kyuhyun called him hesitantly. He had sent a text message to his older sister to pick him up, which meant he had about fifteen minutes to kill.

Ryeowook glanced at him, surprised to find Kyuhyun hadn’t left yet. “Yes?”

“That song you were singing earlier,” Kyuhyun his lips nervously. “It was a ballad, right? By Sung Si Kyung?”

Ryeowook nodded, “Yeah, it’s the song Every Moment of You.”

“He’s one of my favorite artists,” Kyuhyun said, his confidence growing a bit. “Have you heard his new song yet?”

“No, I haven’t heard it yet. Is it good?” Ryeowook admitted, picking up his bag.

“Yeah, you should definitely listen to it!” Kyuhyun nodded excitedly.

Ryeowook chuckled at him, “Okay, I’ll listen to it when I’m grading papers tonight.”

Kyuhyun waved his teacher good-bye, thanking him one more time before practically dashing out of the room. He couldn’t contain it any longer; the sudden giddy rush humming through his veins after successfully talking to his crush. He knew it was stupid to get so happy over something so small, but he couldn’t stop the silly grin on his face. Even when his sister, Ahra, questioned him the whole drive home.

 

 

A/N: I'm sorry for not updating for a week, I hope you're not disappointed. Thank you for subscribing, commenting, and reading this lame story!