Her Father's Daughter

Our Inconvenient Fate

   Park Jihyun has been in places most people her age would never imagine being. She has hung from a window, hundreds of feet in the air, at the dead of night. She has climbed in slim vents that could make anyone clastrophobic. She had laid atop of mud puddles with questionable substances and bugs but never had she pictured herself cleaning a garden with six other boys. For normal girls her age, this would be a dream come true. But Jihyun, unlike most girls her age, never led a normal life. 
     Jihyun took her time picking up the shattered vase pieces. Baekhyun and Chanyeol seemed to do otherwise. They truly were the most energetic of the group. 
   They ran around the garden, picking up and throwing away as much as they could, the fastest the could, in hopes of cleaning up more than the other; they had changed a task into a game. 
   Jihyun didnt mind. They were helping, after all. So she continued on with her part, with Sehun working beside her. It was not until the two playful boys began getting agressive with eachother did it become a problem for Jihyun. 
   Chanyeol and Baekhyun were neck and neck as they reached for a vase piece. Chanyeol, being the taller of the two, used this to his advantage and leaned into Baekhyun who, bumped into a hunched over Jihyun. 
    Jihyun was always one to be light on her feet; She knew how to manipulate her weight to stay balanced. But her body tilted too much to the right and Jihyun knew she had lost her touch; she was falling. She braced herself for what was to come, but instead of hitting the ground, she felt an arm wrap around her waist. When she first opened her eyes, everything was blurry. A bit shaken, her eyes adjusted to the scene before her. She was met with dark brown eyes. His breath was heavy and sweat hung at the bottom his chin, threatening to drop at any moment. 
   Jihyun wasn't the least bit taken aback by the closeness. Being this close to a handsome,rich boy was not a new thing for her. And for that, Jihyun was grateful; otherwise, it would have resulted in a much more panicked manner. 
   "You okay?", Sehun asked as he brought he to her feet. 
   "Im fine", she balanced herself.
   "Mianhe, Jihyun. It was Chanyeol's fault", Baekhyun pouted as he clung to Jihyun's arm, accusingly pointing at Chanyeol. Chanyeol stood there, feeling both astonished and betrayed. Jihyun shook her head, insisting it was fine bringing back that big smile Chanyeol always had on. 
   "This place isnt so bad", Baekhyun said, changing the subject. He eyed his surroundings as if considering to buy the damn place. But of course the only one who had the money for that was Sehun. 
   "It smells nice", D.O softly commented, catching Jihyun's attention once again. She just couldnt quite get used to his voice yet. D.O looked at Jihyun at that moment and something about his stare made him different from the rest. Sure, he had big innocent eyes, but there was, Jihyun knew, much more to him than that. Some familiar glint in his eye that reminded her of a man she knew. He was wise in a way most could never know. And so she gave him a soft smile and looked away, continuing to clean. 


   


   At the end of the day, The bell rang and the students piled out of class. Jihyun made her way down the steps, out of school, trying to figure out what she was going to do that day. She was in the middle of contemplating taking the train to some place a couple hours away when a hand gripped her shoulder. She twirled around, ready for whatever it was but not quite prepared to see the smiling figure before her. She let her gaurd down. 
   "Hey, Jihyun-ssi, you busy today?", Kai smiled. Sehun ran from behind, punching Kai in shoulder as he tried to catch his breath. Kai brushed it off, waiting for Jihyun to answer. 
   "Well. Not really", Jihyun answered. 
   "Great!", Kai looked at Sehun who, didnt seem to feel the same way. "We're all going to Sehun's house to play. Why dont you come along?" 

 

   As Jihyun entered the home, she couldnt help but notice how cold the marble floor was against her bare feet. Sehun lead them to a shoe rack that held a whole bunch of house slippers in all sizes and colors. Though, none of them looked used. And Jihyun wondered just how much people walked in and out of Sehun's home regularly besides himself. 
   The atmoshphere was light with laughter and smiles as the boys and Jihyun sat around a table, snacking on the food the maids had prepared, but Jihyun could still feel the cold air of an empty home. 
   It was then that Jihyun remembered another rich boy she had known with dark hair and a beautiful smile with a home just like Sehun's. And she couldnt help but wonder what it felt like to have such a bright future in such a cold place. 
  "You know Sehun has a theatre?", Kai said as he popped a chip in his mouth. 
  "Ya dont say?", Jihyun eyed Sehun.
   "I do say", Kai laughed. jihyun hit him on the shoulder, laughing 
  "Can we watch a movie then?", she pouted looking at Sehun. At first, he didnt budge. "Please~ pretty pleaaassee~", she tugged at his arm. It was, yet again, another side of Jihyun he hadnt seen but he liked it. So he finally nodded and Jihyun jumped from her seat, celebrating her success. And he couldnt help but just stare and laugh. 


   As expected, Jihyun sat next to Sehun. Their arms rubbed against eachother and they couldnt help but blush a bit. Jihyun quickly regained her composure though and kept her focus on the screen. 
   There was this look in her eyes that reminded him of when he first saw her. The girl on the swingset, both happy and sad. And he wanted to hug her. And this time, he couldve. He wasnt awkwardly watching her or pinned against the wall. He was right next to her. But instead, he cleared his throat, looked back at the screen, and put the though at the very back of his head. 

It was a little before six when the boys began packing up their bags and heading out the door. Without getting into detail, it was safe to say Jihyun was comfortable around them. Happy, even. So as she walked out that door that day, ready to go home, she had made up her mind; she liked them and she was going to be friends with them. 
   Sehun, on the other hand, set his mind on something else. As she walked out the door that day, he finalized it; he liked Park Jihyun. And he was going to continue to like her.

 


   
   It had been just a month ago when Park Jihyun made her way into Seoul Highschool. But Half a year since jihyun ran away from the life she'd been accustomed to. And by now, even with a tail(a boy, more specifically.) on her back, Jihyun had thought she was finally out. But little did she know, she'd be back into her world very soon. 
   
   Jihyun and Sehun were joined at the hip. In the morning the boys would join Jihyun in the garden and at lunch Jihyun would join them in the cafeteria. In between clases, during classes, and on the way home, Jihyun and Sehun were always talking. It was safe to say Jihyun had grown quite close to the boys and a short amount of time. It was even safer to say her and Sehun were a little bit closer to eachother than the rest. And though Jihyun was always a bit loud and fun, there was something Sehun couldnt quite figure out about her. 
   She always seemed to be on her toes. At times, she'd disappear and could never be found. On quiet days, she'd hum to herself as if there was something she needed to be distracted from. Once in a while she'd eye her surroundings as if someone was following her; and she knew exactly who it was. This was all absurd thoughts, Sehun knew. But it was still something he couldnt help but think. Still, it made her all the more attractive. 

 

  


    It was a friday. The sun was out and the breeze was just right. Students chatted with eachother as they made their way down the school's sidewalk. School was over and everyone was looking forward to the weekend especially because the weather forecast was all sunny. Sehun and Jihyun on the otherhand, looked forward to the weekend for more than just the weather. 
    They walked down the sidewalk together, in search of their usual group of friends when Sehun recieved a text from his hyung. 
   Meet us at the cafe. Bring your girlfriend along ;) -Suho.  
   Sehun couldnt help but blush at his screen.  
   "Theyre already at the cafe", Sehun softly muttered. Now most of the time when they spoke, Sehun was bold and upright. So Jihyun was a little curious as to why Sehun was acting so shy. 
   "Is something wrong? Youre acting weird?", Jihyun bluntly said. 
   "No. No", Sehun quickly defended. "It's just", he paused. "Your hair is really nice today", Sehun blurted out. Jihyun softly smiled, trying hard to fight the rising heat on her cheeks. 
   "Thanks".
   Sehun smiled and nodded, looking at her as if he was truly considering the idea of her being his. 


   The sidewalk was awfully crowded as Sehun and Jihyun made their way to the cafe. There was barely any room to walk. So when a man, wearing an all-too-nice looking suit with a shabby hat that covered his face walked right in the middle of the two, bumping into them, Sehun regarded it as a simple mistake. But Jihyun knew better. 
   "chesonghamnida", the man lowered his head as he softly apologized. His dark brown hair stuck out from beneath his hat and Jihyun shook her head at his poor disguise. He was just way too recognizable.
   "Pabo", Jihyun whispered just soft enough for the boy to hear. Sehun disgarded the boy but Jihyun caught the slightest smirk on the boy's lips that was all too familiar to her.
   As sehun and Jihyun squeezed past the crowd of people, Jihyun's couldnt help but worry. Not once did he reveal himself this past month yet he carelessly bumped into her in a crowd of people that, with his skill level, he could have easily slipped by. That was when Jihyun realized; he was trying to tell her something. Warn her. 
   Jihyun turned around, scanning the crowd around her. At first, there was nothing more than just a crowd of people trying to get where they needed to be. But Jihyun knew that was the way a normal person would see it. And she was not a normal person. Jihyun searched harder, looking more into the details, and thats when she saw them;
   There was two of them. They were taller than most people and their faces were stern. Yet, their paces were quick and so orderly. They were no more than 10 feet away and their eyes were on her and they didnt bother to hid their stare either. They were following her.  
  and she had failed to notice. 
   Jihyun felt as nothing more than a fool. Jihyun looked at the boy beside her, who had no clue of the scene. 
   "Sehun", she sternly said. He didnt stop to look at her though. Instead, he looked around in search of the cafe where his friends were. "Sehun", she tried again. 
   "Mhm?", he responded, still not meeting her eyes.
   "Call kai. No, text him. Tell him we cant meet up with them"
   "What? Why?", Sehun asked, now looking at Jihyun. The crowd suddenly seemed oblivious to Jihyun. 
   "Just do it", she said a bit more forcefully. Something in her voice scared Sehun, so he did as he was told. In a flash, the message was sent. Sehun looked into Jihyun's eyes, searching for some kind of answer. And though she was looking at him, he knew her focus was elsewhere. 
   "Whats going on?", sehun tried. Jihyun grabbed his wrist, picked up her pace, and whispered one word. 
   "Run". 
   "What?"
   "Run", she yelled. Her knees rose higher and her legs moved faster, dragging sehun through the crowd. Jihyun was used to being swift. Her moves were usually always decisive but as she moved through the crowd, she just couldnt seem to loose the two huge men behind. And that, frustrated her the most. 
   Jihyun took a turn only to be met by a busy road with cars zooming by. Jihyun groaned in frustration and embarrasment for making a careless mistake not only once, but twice. Her eyes scanned the area for an escape when a car screeched to a stop infront of her. 
   "Get in", an all too familiar voice instructed. 

 


   Park Jihyun's specialty was escapes; whether it be in a crowd or an empty home, she always knew exactly how she would get out. And if the first plan didnt work, she always had a back-up plan. The boy, now in a completely different outfit, knew that just as well as her father did. The boy knew that just as well Jihyun herself did. And that is why Jihyun didnt know if she should feel offended or thankful to him. Was this his way of mocking her? Nonetheless, Jihyun needed to get out of there. Fast. She didnt know who those men were, but they certainly werent good news. So she did not hesitate to Jump into the passenger seat, yelling for Sehun to follow. 
   Sehun had no idea what was going on but he did as Jihyun instructed. It was not until the car, a quite expensive one, zoomed away did Sehun notice the two boulder-like men running behind. It raised more questions than it answered, though.  But What was most confusing to him was the conversation happening infront of him. 
   "Youve really lost your touch, hyun", the boy chuckled in disbelief. "I mean i understand youve been a bit unaware, but you didnt even notice those two goons! They were huge! AND you used your real name? That, is a rookie mistake and you know it". 
   "So I wanted to have a real identity. Kill me"
   "It did make you whole lot easier to find, though"
   Sehun stared at the person sitting in the driver's seat. He wore a simple t-shirt with jeans but there was no denying how suave this guy was. Maybe it was his smirk or maybe it was his one-of-a-kind-car that gave it away, but he was definitely worth as much as Sehun. Or so Sehun thought. This boy, and Jihyun knew, was worth much, much more. 
   "Youve gotten really rusty", the boy teased again. 
   "Not as rusty as you think", Jihyun said in a matter-of-factly tone as she pulled out a wallet. Which, Sehun assumed, belonged to the driver. But it raised the question, how did Jihyun get ahold of it?
   "Not bad", The boy looked at Jihyun, almost smiling. "But not the skilled Jihyun I know". Jihyun could hear the disappointment in his voice and she knew he'd never ever forget who she was. To him, she will always be her father's daughter. "Ive really missed you, Hyun". Jihyun remained silent, unsure how to respond to the boy who had looked up to her for so long. The boy didnt wait for her to respond, though. Instead, he looked in the rearview mirror at the confused boy sitting in the backseat. 
   "I forgot to introduce myself", he said with his big signature smile. "Im Kim Myungsoo". Sehun looked into the eyes of this young man. Sehun felt a bit small. 
   "Im Se-"
   "Oh Sehun. I know who you are", Myungsoo smirked. "Youve got quite a fortune to inherit", he chuckled. "And a merciless father", he mumbled to himself. It was so inaudible not even Jihyun had caught it, and Myungsoo planned never to allow her to. 
   Sehun felt a bit more confident. A bit more at an advantage(which it really wasnt). So he sat up straighter as he said, 
   "Yeah, I do", with a a subtle grin. Myungsoo's eyes went back onto the road. 
  Sehun wouldnt notice how tightly Myungsoo gripped the steering wheel or how badly he had to try just to keep himself from slamming on the gas. Sehun wouldnt have known how odd it was to see Myungsoo in the driver's seat. But Jihyun did. And this scared her. 
   Kim Myungsoo was much too rich to drive his own car. Most of the time he was sitting where Sehun was, sipping on whatever it was he wanted to drink. Jihyun had only ever seen Myungsoo drive once; one fateful day when she announced her departure. 
    This time though, was not out of anger, as Jihyun thought. It was out of fear. 
    "So I see youre driving your own car today", Jihyun started. 
    "Yup", Myungsoo said, popping out the P. He avoided eye contact with Jihyun as he his blinker to switch roads. The highway was filled with cars but Jihyun focused more on the hum of the engine, trying her best to stay calm. 
   "Who were those guys, Myungsoo? Did my father send them?"
   "No".
   "What are you angry about?"
   "angry?"
   "Yeah"
   "I can assure you, im not angry", Myungsoo laughed a bit in disbelief. Out of every person in the world, Jihyun was the only person who knew him just as well as he knew himself. Yet, she could never tell what he was feeling. And that was always the most frustrating thing about her. "And even if i was, thats the least of your worries". His eyes were a bit glossy now and his hands a bit shakey. Of course Jihyun noticed it but she refused to acknowledge it. Because she'd have to acknowledge there was something to be afraid of. 
   "Whats going on, Myungsoo". It was a question but it sounded more like a demand, coming out of Jihyuns mouth. 
   "Its your father", he answered. 
   Jihyun turned toward her door, looking out at the road. A few cars passed her view not because they were driving past Myungsoo, but because Myungsoo was driving past them. She remembered the look on her father's face when she turned her back on him and never looked back. Jihyun wanted nothing more than for Myungsoo to drive past this conversation. 
   "What about him?"
   "He needs your help". 
   Jihyun scoffed. She rolled her eyes. Out of everything she had prepared for him to say, she was not prepared for that. Jihyun and her father weren't exactly on good terms. 
   "Im not his 'help' anymore. Besides, we both know hes capable of doing jobs without me", she stated. 
    "No, Jihyun", Myungsoo shook his head. "Not a job". 
    "Then what el-", Jihyun snapped but stopped. Thats when it hit her. "No". 
    "Jihyun-"
    "No. There's no way. My father is not that careless". Jihyun was shocked. Never had she heard of an impossible task for her father. There were a lot of things Jihyun's
Father was. He was cold and meticulous. He was strict and a little selfish. He was almost the exact opposite of her mother but he was not careless. He would not have the title he had if he was.
    "Well you were never careless either, but look where we are". 
   "He's the best at what he does, Myungsoo. He never gets caught", Jihyun sternly said. Though she couldnt tell if those words were for him or for her. 
   "Hes never been caught before. But things change, Hyun. You for example", Myungsoo attacked back. Hearing this stung her heart a bit, but that was something to discuss at a later time. for now, they were talking about her father. When it comes to her father, there were many things Jihyun wouldnt admit. Not even to herself. Like how much she sort of missed him. Or how worried she was for him. The one thing she absolutely refused to admit was that her father had actually made a mistake. She made mistakes but her father; never. It was the only thing she truly admired about her father despite her hate(or so she says) for what he does. 
   As Jihyun thoughts consumed her, Sehun's
were racing. He felt like a child watching his parents argue and was frustrated with being ignored. He certainly was not a child. Well, not compared to Jihyun. He wanted an explanation. 
   "What exactly does your father do?", Sehun asked. But Jihyun hadnt even heard his question. She was to busy trying to sort out her own thoughts. So, Myungsoo took the inniciative to answer. 
   "I see she still hasnt told you about the family business, huh?"
   "She says she doesnt have a family business", sehun replied in confusion. 
   "Well its not. Not the type of business that you know, at least". 
   "I dont understand".
    "Ill give you a hint", Myungsoo paused for a minute. "Her and I are in the same line of work. And of course, her father too". Sehun looked at him, waiting for more detail. "Okay, i guess that wasnt enough information". 
   "Go on", sehun said eagerly. Myungsoo had to think for a moment. 
   "Youve never noticed anything weird about Jihyun? How she can disappear into thin air? How she can sense things around her?", Myungsoo said in a suggestive tone. Sehun thought long and hard. He didnt have an answer. The only answer he had came from kid's movies. It was too ridiculous to be true. Then again, this whole situation was a bit unbelievable. So he took a deep breath before answering, 
   "Spies?". Myungsoo bursted out in laughter and Sehun felt his cheeks burn with embarasent. 
   "No, We take more than we give", Myungsoo chuckled. "Try again. Ill give you an easier hint. Check your pockets", myungsoo's eyes gestured. Upon hearing this, Jihyun snapped out of her thoughts. She saw Sehun pat his pockets as Myungsoo pulled a wallet out of his. She knew where this conversation was leading and she didnt like it one bit. 
   "Myungsoo".
   I believe this belongs to you", myungsoo tossed the wallet over his shoulder, ignoring Jihyun. Sehun caught the wallet only to realize it was his own. He swore he had it in his pocket on his way to the cafe. That was when he remembered the crowded streets and the disheveled boy he had thought had bumped into them accidently, apologizing as he continued to walk past. Sehun had many thoughts at this moment, but only one word escaped past his lips. 
   "Theives". 
    "Myungsoo, dont-", Jihyun started. But again, he ignored her. 
    "Ding ding ding! We have a winner", Myungsoo threw his right arm in the air. 
   "Myungsoo!", Jihyun slammed her hand against the dashboard.
    Well, not exactly", Myungsoo corrected, sideglancing at Jihyun. He was a bit amused at her reaction. "We're con artists", Myungsoo finalized. "We dont just steal, we manipulate, my dear friend". Upon hearing the term 'dear friend', Sehun couldnt help but feel a bit offended. They were certainly not close enough to be considered friends. And absolutely not close enough to be referred to as 'dear'. So sehun did not like the term. Not a bit. But besides the annoyance he felt for Kim Myungsoo one word rang in his ears. 
  Manipulate
  This past month, Sehun had conjured all different thoughts about Jihyun; fun. Lonely. Secretive. Cute. But never once did her peg her as a liar- a conman. He couldnt help but question just how good she was and just how much he truly knew about her. 
   "He is not apart of this, Myungsoo!"
   "Hes your friend and you intended to keep it a secret?", Myungsoo began raising his voice. 
   "I intended to leave
    "True friends do not keep secrets, Hyun!"
    There was a new profound look in Myungsoo's eyes that shocked even Jihyun. They were talking about Sehun, but she knew it was much more than that now. Myungsoo took a deep breath, calming himself down. It became clear to Jihyun they were talking about him. 
   Every decent con artist knew it was mandatory to tell a lie. And every decent theif knew never to disclose information carelessly. And Myungsoo was both a skilled theif and conman; He knew well the terms and rules. So when Jihyun had announced that her job had been successful, he was the first- if not, the second- person she expected to understand. She had stolen herself an education.
   But when Myungsoo spoke, he was not speaking as the con artist. He was speaking as the lonely millionare, who, was used to being left but never expected her leave. He was speaking as the boy she'd met at the age of 12 in the big, empty home. He was speaking as her friend. And to that, jihyun couldnt find a way to apologize. So instead she kept quiet, hoping one day she could make it up to him. 


  
  
   "Ill talk to you about the details tomorrow. Ill meet you at your place"
   "No garauntee ill let you in", Jihyun chuckled.
   "Ill find my way in", Myungsoo winked as he drove off. Jihyun turned around to face Sehun and wanted so badly to run away. She could have, withiut a trace left behind, but he needed an explanation. She owed him that much.
    "Sehun, I-"
    "How does someone lie about their whole life?", he laughed in disbelief. Sehun knew it was human nature to lie. But what Jihyun did was far worse than just a little lie. 
   "I didnt lie"
   "Well you werent telling the truth"
   "I left, Sehun. I left. Doesnt that prove at least something?"
   "I just dont understand"
   "Thats the thing. You wouldnt understand. This work, its a whole different world from yours", she looked him straight in the eyes. He couldnt tell if he shouldve felt offended by the accusation because deep in his hesrt he knew she was right. "I never lied to you about anything but my past. Im not asking you to stay. Im asking you to understand". Despite what Jihyun said, she didnt want him to leave. Not really. But she turned her back on him, walking to her front door. 
   He looked at her back, trying to understand the whole situation. There was something about the way she looked when she turned away that made him think that there had to be some truth in her lie. That not everything he thought of her this month was fake. 
    And He could not let her go like that. He could not let her walk away without knowing the truth. He could not leave without knowing if she truly was who he fell in love with. So he stopped her before she could walk through her door. 
   "I want to help"
   "What?"
   "I want to help", Sehun repeated. 
   "This is not your problem, Sehun"
   "You said you wanted me to understand. Im trying to understand, Jihyun"
   "Its dangerous"
   "And maybe I like dangerous", Sehun smirked. She looked into his eyes, looking for any sign of fear. Looking for a something that told her he'd regret it. And there was fear. But there was all desperation. And it reminded her of a young rich boy she met four years before. 
   "Besides, im pretty smart. And where are you going to get your funds from?", he laughed. The intense atmosphere seemed to soften and Jihyun could breath normally. 
   "That", she pointed at him. "Is a good point". And though it was a good reason, she knew there were so much more reasons why she shouldnt let him. But she pretended she didnt know. "I guess I really have no choice but to let you on the team", she smiled. Sehun had to try hard not jump in excitement. 
   "See you tomorrow", he smiled. It was the kind of smile that reminded her of who he was. That charming smile that caught every girl's eye. He waved as he walked away and she could only calculate the consequences of the decision she made as she watched him.