The First Flashback

I'll Be There

Eun Kyung, Age 7, Second Grade, Yoo Private Elementary Academy

The First Flashback

Eun Kyung was  sweating and panting hard as she sprinted as fast as she could to catch up with Myungsoo.

"Wait, up, Myungsoo oppa!" she cried.

"Hurry up! C'mon, just run faster, Eun Kyung!" he yelled back, turning his head to face her, making a face, and ran promptly into wall.

"Ooomph!" he grunted, as he fell, and skidded right on his behind. Soon, Eun Kyung caught up.

"C'mon, just run faster, Myungsoo!" she mimicked, and sprinted ahead of him.

"Hey, you--! Stop!" he cried, getting up, running, and closing the distance between Eun Kyung and him. "I'll get you!" he yelled.

She just cackled, and pumped her legs harder, but her poofy, long sleeved dress was making it harder for her to run. But she had to, just had to, beat him to class. If they ran fast enough, they could get in their seats before the bell rang. But the walking distance from their street to their school was about a mile. And the bell was gonna ring in 10 minutes.

Suddenly, someone tackled her from behind, and she fell flat on her face, scratching up her white, long dress.

"Myungsoo! You dirtied my dress!" she cried from under him. She tried to push out of his way, but her held her down.

"Got you, rat!" he teased, and stuck his tongue out at her. "Don't use my line! Only I get to say that." Then he pinched her cheek hard, and got up. He offered his hand to her.

"Grab my hand. Let's go Eun Kyung." he beamed at her.

"Thanks, Myungsoo oppa, but--" she gave him a wicked smile as she jumped up and ran back to their original route.

"Hey, you cheater!" she heard him yell, but she just grinned and ran faster.

"Hurry up! Just run faster, Myungsoo!" she screamed at him once again, happy that she was infuriating him.


"Eun Kyung!" a soothing female voice said, "Snap out of it!"

The daydreaming girl jerked to a start. "What? What happened?" she asked confusedly.

Tiffany Hwang, Eun Kyung's best and actually, only friend in school, was perched on the edge of her bed, flipping through her phone and jabbering away, until she noticed her friend wasn't listening.

"Oh, you know, I was just looking through the latest news. Didja hear? That the 2pm member, was he Nicu...ne? or Nick Yoon? He was visiting our town to check in on his parents, and the paparazzi were searching him and stuff."

"Nickhun, Tiff. His name is Nickhun. Doesn't he look cute?" Eun Kyung said, trying to hide her troubles and memories of a certain person from Tiffany.

"Ehhh. His eyebrows are totally bushy." she remarked. Eun Kyung made a face and rolled her eyes. Tiffany just laughed and threw a pillow lightly Eun.

"Kidding, I'm just kidding. Nicoune is cute."

"Nickhun." the exasperated but amused Eun reminded Tiffany again.

"Oh!" Tiffany squeaked as she accidently flipped her phone out of her hands. It slid under Eun Kyung's chair. "Could you get that?" she asked.

"Err, yeah." she replied stiffly. Trying not to wince, or complain, she stooped down and snatched the phone before the pain in her arms, stomach, and thighs made her display discomfort. She was trying to hide the fact that she got in a fight from Tiffany because the last time she told her, Tiff had totally flipped out and tried picking a fight with them bullies. She didn't want that happening again.

"Here ya go." she mumbled, reaching out and handing it to her.

"Thanks." Tiffany said, but frowned when she saw her friends shaking arm, and pained expression. "By the way, what's with the full outfit? It's like a 100 degrees, and you're wearing a sweater and jeans. And seriously, what happened to your face? I mean..." she blabbered on until her voice trailed off.

Eun Kyung's eyes widened. She had noticed her extermely modest getup to cover all her bruises and the swelling in her knees. And although she had explained that she had slipped in the shower, and hit her face, Tiffany didn't seem to be buying it.

"Eun Kyung...Please tell me what happened. I won't get angry." she pleaded, looking concerned. Eun sighed, debating whether or not to tell her.

"Promise?" she asked.

"Umm...no." Tiffany admitted. "There's no gurantee that I'll stay calm."

Eun Kyung frowned and then looked Tiffany straight in the eye. "I... got in a fight." she said simply. "With...Min Rin and Chin Hwa."

"Both of them?" Tiffany asked incredulousy. 

"Actually, maybe a... few more people...were there." she said, suddenly supremely interested in her long, fuzzy brown socks. "So, you know what, I'll get some soda for us..." she had started to say before--

"KIM. EUN. KYUNG." Tiffany boomed. She jumped from her seat, but under Tiffany's glare, she reluctantly sat back down.

"Yeah?" she asked meekly.