Chapter 4

Haven

The cigarette smoke rose into the crisp air, puffs of smoke accompany his harsh coughs as Aron cleared his throat. His smile grew as he sat on the edge of the rooftop with a few others, dressed simlarily with various shades of dyed hair and bold clothing. Their attention diverted to the scene across the street, of a man bellowing at his subdorinates for their incompetence.

“Minhyun’s having a hard time, isn’t he?” Aron snickered loudly at the show. “Shows him right!” He spat victoriously.

“Amazing that his men still haven’t found him, that model disappeared off the face of the earth.”

“Maybe he already has.”

Aron shrugged as he reached for another cigarette, chortling loudly as Minhyun kicked the foot of his car. “That model’s probably at some beach resort, attending parties and surrounding himself with beautiful women. That’s what I would do.”

Aron mused over that idea in jealousy as he exhaled the smoke, “Ah, what a life.”

-

Scars, over time, heal until all that’s left is a thin transparent line, often times it’s hard enough to tell unless one’s up close.

That morning, Ren realized Baekho was covered in them. Ren only knew this because when he woke up, his head was resting on the other’s torso.

Damn it.

Ren exhaled as he peered around the room.

He found himself performing the usual, now a habit as he woke to every morning since the first time. He was sleeping right beside Baekho, again. Although usually a light sleeper, Ren could tell that Baekho was sleeping rather deeply. Thankfully.

Ren peered silently at Baekho’s sleeping expression, observing as he lingered awake.

It felt like a trap, his peaceful presence luring him into a sense of security. After three years of making it clear to Baekho too. He’s always made it a firm point to keep the line drawn between them. It’s not as if Baekho’s been shy with his feelings, straightforward as any.

The tired Ren glanced at the clock, it was only four in the morning and he huffed as he settled back into the pillow, staring at the ceiling for a long while when he glanced Baekho’s way. Gradually, the time hits him, and the model shifts until he’s comfortable, subconsciously laying by Baekho’s shoulder.

It’s crossed his mind, more times than once. That that line was dimming.

Before he could give it another thought, Ren falls rightly to sleep.

-

A while later just before the sun struck, Baekho woke up, he’s able to sit up on his own and resist the subtle aches in his arm. He’s careful though, as not to stir the figure right by him when he paused and faced the other.

Ren was warmer than usual.

-

“– ...Today in other news, charges were brought today by the district attorney’s office–”

Baekho heard bags being ripped and sharply looked up as Longfei started to eat.

“I agreed to us working together in my office, but it doesn’t mean you can also make a mess in mine.”

“It isn’t a mess, I know exactly where everything is.” Longfei contradicted highly.

Baekho became more doubtful as Longfei returned his attention to the screen. “And you’re watching the news?”

“My friend, you never know who will bring you inspiration, and if you want that Spring collection, you’ll let me do as I please.”

Baekho dismissively continued with the work when the doors opened, and his assistant arrived.

“Sir, are these the files you wanted me to send over?”

“Yes, and spare no expense, they need to reach her by tomorrow.”

Longfei hastily stood up and looked over the files before she took them away, “You’ve finished?” He said excitedly as he looked over the designs, “I thought you were pushing it when you said it’d debut by summer, but you really do keep your word.”

Longfei pulled nearly all the files out of her grip to give each one a better look, “Then all of these are being sent for mass manufacturing?” He received no reply when to his surprise, a single photo was tugged out of his grip.

Baekho safely tucked the file into his briefcase, “Except this one.”

The assistant bowed as she took the files. Longfei observed as Baekho also began to reach for his briefcase and coat, setting to leave.

“You’ve been leaving rather on time lately.”

“Is that so shocking?” Baekho asked rather calmly, unfazed to his suspicions.

“It is, I’ve never known my partner to leave early even if he could have.” Longfei then smiled coyly, “A special woman in your life?”

Baekho merely walked out of the room, signaling he had other business to tend to. He always managed to evade any attempts to prod at his private life. Longfei briefly looked about the large and organized office, there wasn’t even a hint of a personal touch to it.

“–Lee Tae Won, an alleged member of STG, has been taken into police custody today. He was discovered–...”

Longfei blinked and applauded at the news, “Good for the police!”

-

“Why him?”

Jonghyun stepped into the room when he heard muttered cursing, he looked ahead as Ren occupied himself with the news. Jonghyun didn’t bother to announce himself and tossed the bag on the couch, finally signaling to Ren of his arrival.

Ren hastily greeted him. “Sorry, I heard ‘STG’ and ‘arrest’ and had my hopes up.” Ren heard nothing and turned around to see Jonghyun’s apathetic expression.

Despite that, Ren had a deep inkling that Jonghyun was looking down on him.

“Do you underestimate Baekho that much?”

Ren blinked, “No… I’m just impatient. Baekho told me before that I just had to wait it out, that soon enough, I won’t be a priority anymore.”

Nowadays, Ren had come to better accept the circumstances, in more ease as he realized a comforting thought.

That after all, aside from Baekho, Jonghyun was the only other one who knew Ren was hiding in that apartment.

“He’s exactly right,” Jonghyun agreed, “A group of their sort can’t afford to waste manpower for long.”

Ren felt his hopes rekindle, “Is that so?”

“He will have to, if he’s smart.”

“Is he?”

There was a long pause, and Ren felt those same hopes sour.

Dispirited, he reached for the tossed bag and opened it to check its contents, only to pull out a small medication bottle.

“Baekho said you were sick, are you not?”

Ren parted his lips, “Somewhat.” The symptoms were minor at best, it wasn’t anything threatening. He doubted Jonghyun would care to hear his reason, however, and thanked him.

Ren went to the kitchen and poured himself a glass as he pulled out the medication and read the instructions. “How did you get this? I thought it wasn't allowed to be sold here anymore.”

Jonghyun remained poker-faced as an understanding dawned on Ren, who tried to subside his uneasy feeling as he went back to the living room with cup on hand.

“Thank you nonetheless— Oh, that’s a lot of blood.” Ren quickly averted his gaze from the screen as a private telecast showcased photographs from some of the past jopok cases.

“You shouldn’t take these seriously,” Jonghyun uttered, watching the footage with unnerving ease just before he set to leave, “who would use a 9 millimeter nowadays?”

“...How was that suppose to comfort me?”

Instead, Ren decides it’s simply just to shift that bit of knowledge aside, putting his scattered mind to better use as he cleaned the loft entirely. It takes up most of the day, he finds that he’s successfully distracted as he reaches for the load of laundry and takes it to the bedroom.

As he placed it on the bed, he caught sight of the time.

Baekho had told him he’d be late because of some gathering, but he was a little late. Ren just shrugged it off, knowing how those parties tend to go. In the midst of organizing the piles, he buries his phone beneath, unaware of the emitting green light.

Ren then overheard the door opening from the bedroom, folding the first piece of laundry when he set it down, turning to greet Baekho–

“Did you rearrange?”

Ren’s hand froze on the doorknob. It was a woman’s voice.

“What are you looking for?”

“The wine, obviously.”

Baekho directed her to the shelf at the opposite end within the kitchen, he didn’t give any direction, from the sounds of it, she appeared overly familiar with where everything was.

Ren briefly stepped forwards the more obscure side from the room and carefully sat on the bed. Yet in the mirror that happened to give him a better angle, Ren could see a shapely figure wrapped in red.

“I forgot how nice of a place this was, I suppose it’s no wonder you’re always insistent on heading home. Why are the curtains drawn?”

“I prefer them that way.”

“Really? But you have such a nice view of the city.”

Ren wasn’t sure how much more pathetic he could get, hiding in that bedroom, and with no means of leaving with that woman there. He couldn’t even close the door completely or leave the television on to drown the noise, any of the two would surely catch her attention.

Ren then glanced at his cell and sees a green light flash, he quickly checks it:

“Bringing a friend over until her ride appears.” -Baekho

He overhears her voice from the living room and just tosses his cell aside. He finds out he can be even more pathetic, and continues silently folding the laundry.

-

Baekho bidded her farewell as she left, and he glanced back at his bedroom whose door was just an inch propped open.

He stepped in and caught Ren just finishing moving his clothing basket, “I’ve brought food.”

“Thank you.”

His tone was a little too polite, almost to a crisp point, and Baekho raised his brow as he stuffed in his hands in his pockets. Baekho then nodded, accepting the blame, “I’m sorry you had to stay cooped up in here, I left a message.”

“I don’t mind, nothing much can be done about it.” Ren said as he stepped past Baekho and out of the room, with a puzzled man in tow. “But if there’s a chance you really need that bedroom, just tell me beforehand. I’m sure I can hide in a closet in someone else’s house.”

Baekho tilted his head as Ren walked past him. There was something about Baekho’s silence and long stare that could make him intimidating, but Ren was too bothered to even notice that.

“You know… against anyone else’s accusations, I would have been really not happy, but when I know it’s out of jealousy, it’s rather endearing.”

“Whe–”

SNAP!

THUD!

The lights shut off completely along with any hint of electricity, and the moment it had, Ren had stumbled over the table. He cursed as the laundry fell over the desk in disarray, he heard rummaging behind him and turned, squinting just as the light accidentally flashed him.

Baekho apologized as he moved the flashlight, “It doesn’t look as if it took the city, just the complex.” He checked outside the windows, “I’m not sure how long the lights will take to come back.”

The light from his flashlight then fizzled momentarily to Ren’s amusement. “Hopefully soon enough.”

It didn’t.

And with the electricity off, they were both limited with what to do. “Eat, before the food gets cold,” Baekho encouraged although he didn’t touch the food either. Baekho had no access to his laptop or other electronics, but Ren could see him checking his work. He offers the little bit of light to Ren, leaving his flashlight on the table, as Baekho checked the papers using the straying moonlight.

After a while, Ren couldn’t take more of seeing him that way, and takes the flashlight to him.

“You’re going to hurt your eyes,” Ren chided.

Baekho thanked him but glanced at the leftovers, “Are you not going to eat more?”

Ren arched an eyebrow at the number of dishes, he ate enough to suffice although it looked like it didn’t make a dent. “Just how much do you think I can eat?”

Baekho looked him over, “...You could stand to eat a bit more.”

“I can’t afford to lose my contracts.”

“You could always try for ours.”

Ren just ignored that bit as he briefly looked at the pile in Baekho’s hands, “you’ve been working a lot more lately. Has it been that busy?”

“This is all to prepare for the trip to Malaysia, we have to make sure everything’s settled.”

“Malaysia? Where are you heading to?”

Baekho blinked as Ren’s eyes rounded, his eagerness was rather apparent. And when Baekho names the city, Ren smiles instantly. “You’ve been there before?” Baekho asked.

“Sometimes for work, but I went back when I was at college. Ah, their lotus paste mooncakes.” Ren said dreamily as he walked towards the couch. He settled on the floor before the table, now fixing the toppled clothing.

Baekho remained still until he lowered his work to the drafting table. “I would have liked to have seen you as a student.”

Ren looked as Baekho occupied the empty space by him, and to his surprise, helped him along.

“Even if you had gone to my school, you wouldn’t have. I skipped most of my classes to do work, my parents weren’t as pleased though so I promised to finish school before venturing into it full time. They kept wanting me to wait, but a model’s career is only so long, I didn’t want to miss the chance.”

Ren grew quiet as Baekho understood the reason why. “You miss working, don’t you?”

“Mm… yes,” Ren faintly smiled, “it may not change the world, but it’s what makes me happy. And I realized I preferred to be happy in the long term more than anything.”

Baekho ruffled his hair, and Ren merely fixed his bangs. “Do you like your job?” Ren asked.

“I do.”

“That’s good, but I think you like it a little too much.”

Baekho returned a blank look, “Is that a bad thing?”

Ren considered that before shaking his head. “Working hard isn’t, but it isn’t healthy. I’ve seen a lot of executive types get sick from overworking, even my ex had to go to the hospital for IV drips more often than he should. If I could stand to eat, then you should too, resting a bit more wouldn’t hurt either.”

Baekho listened amusedly as Ren continued to openly chide him.

In the beginning, Ren wouldn’t dare make him angry and stretch a conversation longer than necessary. When they got to know one another, Ren relaxed enough to make backhand comments but he still treaded lightly.

Seeing him now chastise him like a concerned friend made it all the more amusing to see just how much had changed between them.

“Men like that are difficult,” Ren uttered, and Baekho’s lips thinned as he helped fold another pair.

"Is that why you broke up?"

Ren scoffed. "No, his cheating pretty much did that."

Ren then raised his head, feeling the temperature of the room had chilled somewhat. He looked at Baekho who was surprisingly quiet.

"Are you alright?"

Baekho just flashed a small smile, that didn't leave him any more assured. The two just continued folding.

It took a long while before the executive found his voice again. "I see." Baekho replied.

A short silence followed.

“Then you dislike the executive types?”

The question was asked lightly, but the air about them had changed.

“I may have had a few bad dating experiences,” Ren agreed, keeping his gaze forward, “but it doesn’t mean I’m put off by them.”

The flashlight completely fizzled out, leaving the two in darkness. Ren sat up, contemplating as he fiddled with the last bit of clothing.

“Is she a model?” Ren vaguely asked.

“No, but why do you ask?”

Ren finished, then scoured his pockets for his cell. “I was just wondering, if so, the men in your family appear to have a type.”

He felt Baekho move and looked his way, and sees a subtle warmth held in his eyes. “I can’t call it a preference, when the only person I’d consider is you.”

A small light emitted straight from Ren’s cell, and he held it up to Baekho’s face, whose eyes squinted from the flashlight in an interrogation fashion.

“I would have believed that, if it weren’t for this,” he said, touching the lipstick stain to his cheek. Baekho looked around and reached for a spare handkerchief to wipe it from his cheek.

“If I admitted I felt nothing from that, would you believe me?”

Ren didn’t say, but swiped the handkerchief from his hand and helped wiped it off for him.

And when he finishes, Baekho turns and looks past the piercing light that Ren gradually lowers, giving just a faint light emitting from both their faces. Baekho’s eyes search for his, and when they meet, Ren doesn’t quite look away.

And for Baekho, that was a first.

“If you want me to even remotely believe you,” Ren abruptly said and narrowed his eyes slightly, “Then don’t let it happen again.”

Baekho blinked.

He didn’t admit it, but for a split second, Baekho felt a little intimidated. And the older man gave a sound, “It won’t.”

Ren nodded, folding the towel.

Ren turns off his cell and promptly tosses the handkerchief over Baekho’s eyes, earning a loud laugh.

-

The night continued without lights, and soon Baekho stood up and stretched, looking about in the shadows for a sign of the other. It was easy to guess where he was, and Baekho looked at the set of large windows of the living room. With the curtains drawn, Ren allowed himself a better peak of the city.

With a bitter realization, Ren realized that the woman was right, the view was extraordinary. The flickering lights draw most of his attention.

Yet even he can’t help but hear the faint footsteps behind him, his senses too aware of the other in the room.

And as those footsteps grew louder, Ren could no longer see the city, but that of the man who stood behind him that reflected faintly in the glass. Ren turned around and could see Baekho’s own gaze focus on the view, yet the model couldn’t quite do the same.

Feeling his stare, Baekho looked down, and their gazes locked.

Baekho lowered until they were at eye level, Ren subconsciously pressed his back against the window’s cold surface as he averted his eyes.

The subtle scent of wood and spice that mixed into the air hung close.

“...Why would he give you up?”

When Baekho imagined a better life, many things, many possibilities came to mind.

Ren wasn’t one he dared to even consider.

Ren’s eyes closed reflexively as he felt the back of Baekho’s hand touch his forehead, feeling his temperature.

“Good,”

Ren opened his eyes, even in the dark, he could vaguely make out Baekho’s curved lips. Even as he averts his eyes, he hears the relief in his voice.

“You’re doing better now.”

Ren felt a ruffle of his hair by Baekho’s hand, and rather than counter back, the younger man merely nodded his head as he felt Baekho pull back completely.

Ren wordlessly crossed the room to the bedroom as Baekho took the couch.

For the night, they return to how they first started, setting a larger distance than before. Neither gave their reason as they each settle in.

Yet as the lights glitter about the city and stray into the apartment. As the night soon brings about morning, it’s apparent that despite the long evening and the distance set between them, neither could sleep.

-

He stood within the museum, staring about the hung paintings that stuck to the walls. One painting in particular held that of a single clock with red handles.

Living each day as if it were the last was a philosophy he accepted and still applied to. He just didn’t know far things could change, even when he first stepped into his new life.

His memories are clear as day.

“I think he’s here,” A younger Aron reported stiffly, ruffling his light brown hair as he trailed behind him.

Baekho stepped into the hotel lobby, “Wait here.”

Aron reluctantly did so as Baekho stepped inside. Soon, he’s further surrounded by the large crowd of wealthy names that enjoy the large party. And at last, he found his brother in the distance, Baekho eyes the woman his brother spent most of his time with, but they briefly landed to the friend waiting by.

He couldn’t linger, however, and the moment he grabbed his brother’s attention, the older man nearly tackled into him though Baekho kept his stance without faltering.

“Baekho!” His brother said excitedly, “Let me find a model for you, there’s so many here!”

“We’re going home, father’s not going to be pleased if he hears you were out here again.” And his words briefly sobers his brother up, coming to his senses, his brother hurries alongside him.

The model was taken with the others who help her to her feet and pull her away. His brother walked ahead of him when Baekho glanced back as they take their leave.

Ren was always rather perceptive, and turned around as Baekho looked his way.

Unlike his brother, he never made his interests known. There was no point in publicizing his affection for the other man to every person he came across, and with his ties, that’d bring unnecessary risks. Baekho maintained a composed face, free of any flicker of emotion.

Ren immediately turned around and left with his group of friends, and Baekho returned to care for his brother.

For as long as he first laid eyes on the other, he kept it all to himself. Simply living to his emotions as his brother had was never a comfort he could take for long.

Months after his stepping down from the group, he sat with his colleague at an event and reached for a glass of champagne. Models, celebrities, exclusive names walk past him and he observed the lot that enjoyed their own company. Rather than an intruder, he was one of them now.

Life had completely changed in a matter of time.

He paused, realizing who was coming his way.

And unlike the many times before when they accidentally met eyes, Baekho smiled, catching Ren off-guard.

“Hello,” Baekho greeted and extended a hand to the stunned model.

Could it start anew? Not likely. And yet that couldn’t stop him.

Ren didn’t accept his hand and gave a reluctant greeting back, “Hello.”

Baekho’s smile grew despite that, many would deem this an insignificant step forward. Many probably wouldn’t understand.

It may have been a small step, but it was one nonetheless.

“It’s about time to leave Baekho.” Longfei said.

Baekho broke free from his trance within the present day, accompanying his partner from the museum back to the main office. He briefly glanced at the small crowd of people, separating those he could handle and the others his own assistant could take herself.

And among the many she speaks with, she sets time for a familiar face.

Ren’s manager smiled fondly at her sister, “I’m here for a favor.”

Baekho’s assistant blinked as she looked over the album her sister hands her, all of various photshoots Ren was apart of. “I remember him, we did offer him a contract a while back, and I believe he said no. Twice, in fact.”

Ren's manager cringed. “I’ll make him change his mind...once he comes around.”

“Why the need? He sounds fine with the contracts he has now.”

The manager’s smile weakened as she gestured for her sister to come closer, “He’s had… a family emergency, and because of that he had to take some time away from work. And you know how designers are, they don’t wait. Even if they favor him. I’m running out of options.”

The manager sighed, “When he comes back, I’m afraid Ren won’t have anything left.”

“So Carmesí is a last resort?” Baekho’s assistant said in offense as her sister hastily corrected herself.

The pair of sisters leave, chattering away as they left the scene, crossing another’s shadow without turning back.

Baekho lifted his head, having overheard little of their conversation, but just enough.

-

When he arrived home later that day, he sees Ren hung over the edge of the couch.

Baekho quickly hurried to him, “Are you alright?”

A delirious Ren widened his eyes and waved his hands, “I think… that medicine is a little strong for a cold.”

Baekho glanced at the bottle on the table and quietly laughed, feeling better as he assured the wobbly man, “It’ll wear off in an hour or so. Can you sit up?”

“I...think?”

Baekho stood up when he quickly grabbed Ren before he toppled back to the floor. Baekho then caught sight of the opened movie cases left on the desk.

“You like horror films?”

“Yes, except I chose ghost films, I didn’t feel like seeing blood at the moment.” Ren grimaced, he tried to reach out to put the disk in, but Baekho helped him set the television right.

With the deadline approaching near, Baekho’s on the couch with his laptop as the movie plays. Every now and then, Baekho checks to make sure he’s alright.

Gradually, the model begins to finally set in place. And as Baekho glanced his way, could see Ren rub his eyes.

Ren lowered his hands and remained rather docile, until he notices the sounds from the laptop had long stopped and sees Baekho staring his way.

Even at Baekho’s observant look, Ren grew suspicious. “Why are you so happy?”

Although his expression suggested nothing of the sort, the tailored man played along. “Don’t I have every reason to be?”

Ren considered it as he leaned his head forward, “...I suppose.”

Baekho smiled and returned to his screen when he saw movement from the corner of his eye. He looked as Ren’s eyes fluttered close, and rather than lean back against the couch, leaned a little too forward for his liking.

Baekho reached out and helped him upright, moving him until he was safely laying against the cushions. And as Ren’s neck craned uncomfortably, Baekho helped him adjust.

And as Baekho’s hand accidentally touches his cheek, Ren nearly winced.

His hands weren’t soft in the least, most men’s hands he shook were supple. The older man’s firm skin was rough to the touch, and as if realizing that, Baekho began to move it away.

Ren then stopped him, resting his cheek against his hand.

Baekho laughed quietly, “I can’t work this way,” he lamented, but didn’t withdraw, making himself comfortable as Ren rested by him. Even when Ren moves from his hand, Baekho remained by him.

Thankfully, the other was becoming more at ease. Baekho was glad for that despite the circumstances. He preferred him happy.

And yet as these moments lingered, Baekho also wished that among all the things he ever wanted, time would also come to a stop.

Unfortunately, the fact about time remained, that it had to keep going. As difficult as it is, he had to accept that.

This arrangement of theirs won’t last forever.

At the sight of Ren’s tranquil state, shadows then crossed Baekho’s narrowed eyes.

“Minhyun won’t touch you. I promise.”

-