Chapter 3

Haven

There are a few deals in the modeling world that’s considered the best, in terms of contracts, one with Carmesí was among the highest. And their selections were few.

Ren, a model whose resume was just beginning at the time and relatively unknown to the public eye, made it all the more unlikely. Yet he had been offered one of these lucrative contracts, all to the confusion of his management.

Yet, it isn’t the contract that’s on his mind.

Baekho stepped out of the elevator doors after another party, gathering numbers of the beautiful models that surrounded him and gradually leave. Baekho never minded their company, but his mind sees them as potential contracts for the future.

With his cell attached, he paused behind a set of hotel decorated trees when he spotted a glimmer of white behind.

He spotted Ren speaking with a pure smile on his face to a suited man hidden in the shadows of the back of the building. Only the cleaning staff would walk through there, and it was empty of any high-end clients from the party, but it was clear they chose such a location for a reason.

Baekho pretended not to see anything.

He keeps to his work and leaves a while later outside the lobby, only to catch his assistant talking to Ren.

“Thank you for the offer,” he heard Ren reply.

His assistant tries to convince him otherwise.

“It’s alright,” Baekho uttered as the two looked his way. “He’s made up his mind.”

His assistant smiled, “I’ll get the car,” she said and left them be.

The model kept his gaze firmly rooted to the wet road. He unconsciously stepped a bit further, leaving a good amount of distance from the businessman.

Although Baekho was now becoming a fixture in their circles, their interactions have been minimal at best. Ren preferred to keep it that way.

“–...Is that something you think you could reconsider?”

Ren lifted his head and realized Baekho was speaking to him.

Baekho chuckled, “It’s fine. I was simply stating that in a few months, we’ll be launching the summer collection, and I was hoping you’d be among the ones that agreed to represent the name.”

“I’ve heard from my manager, but I have my plate rather full with other jobs.”

There was a tense pause, at least in Ren’s mind, but Baekho merely gave a polite smile. “So I’ve heard from your management, I simply thought I’d try to change your mind.”

Baekho’s car then pulled up to the curb and the valet stepped out, exchanging the keys as his assistant entered the car. Baekho walked about his car when he looked behind him as Ren surveyed the sky. “If you’d like, I could give you a ride.”

Ren bowed once more, keeping his cool around him, but was too mindful of him just the same. “Thank you for the offer, but my taxi’s waiting.”

Baekho stepped into his car, sighing as he took the black wheel and glimpsed at Ren’s back through his rearview mirror as he stepped into the cab behind them.

“He has a suitable face,” the assistant commented, now the mystery behind his offer was better explained to her eyes. “Although I’m surprised he didn’t accept our offer.”

“Really?” Baekho said amusedly, “I’m not.”

It was clear Ren was keeping his distance since day one, although his manners remained polite and maybe a little more than that, as if he couldn’t afford to make Baekho angry.

“Why is that, Sir?”

Baekho was quiet for a moment as the taxi took off first, and the black car took off soon after. He considered it for a moment,

“I suppose it’s my own fault.”

“Are you going to eat or not?”

Baekho casually looked up at Ren’s narrowed expression, definitely impatient as the plates he placed on the table were cooling by the minute, and Baekho showed no signs of touching them.

Baekho reached for his utensils and started to eat.

Ren scooped more into his bowl, “What was on your mind?”

“You, naturally.”

Ren glared, and when Baekho reaches for a certain dish, Ren pulled the plate out of his reach.

Baekho arched an eyebrow as Ren calmly ate as if nothing happened, and the former couldn’t help but laugh.

-

One of the more grating things about being on the run, was having absolutely no justifiable way to explain to friends why you’re missing.

His parents were the most difficult to convince.

Ren paced back and forth in the living room and to the bedroom, in circles just all around the apartment as Baekho continued to sketch. The latter caught glimpses of his conversation when the phone call ends.

Baekho turned around as Ren huffed and plopped himself on the couch, “Are you still not going to tell your parents?”

“I’ve yet to find a way to word ‘some men are trying to kill me’ in a way that won’t scare them, but if you have an idea, please let me know.”

Baekho smiled as he returned his attention to his work.

Ren gave his parents plane tickets to Taipei. They’ve been wanting to go for a while now, and he hoped that this would distract for the moment. Ren then lifted his head and regarded the older man’s working expression that was revealed by the lamplight on his drafting table.

Baekho was dressed very professionally, heading to a high end dinner party. Yet his blazer is hung off the back of his chair as the sleeves of his dress shirt wrinkled by his constant movement. Baekho gave his attire little mind as he focused on his work.

If anyone were to doubt his dedication to the brand, Ren felt he could justly correct them. Many thought someone from his field, with it technicalities and rigid structures, who branched into the fashion world wouldn’t have taken it seriously. Yet every bit of his effort was sincere.

He could have remained behind the scenes as Fu Longfei simply orchestrated the rest. Baekho didn’t even seem to mind that he wasn’t as renowned or recognized to the public.

Baekho then lifted up his sleeves and Ren thinned his lips as he stood up and headed to the kitchen.

Sometimes Ren felt like he worked a little too hard. Then again, he supposed that was a trait of all business men.

Ren opened the fridge and noted a box inside.

“It’s a cake.”

Ren looked back as Baekho caught him staring, amused, he even added, “You can have a slice if you’d like.”

Ren eagerly took out the box, “Are you leaving already?”

“I’ll be late if I don’t.”

Ren stepped out briefly towards the hallway as Baekho reached for an overcoat but merely hung it over his arm. “At least bother to put it on.”

“It’s not cold. I’ll be fine.”

Ren narrowed his eyes, just that morning, the younger man was rudely awakened by the cold winds that blasted through the windows.

Baekho then reached for the door. “Come home soon,” he called out, as he by habit when he still live with his family.

Baekho notably paused, and gradually turned around as he met Ren’s eyes. Ren drew a blank look as Baekho then smiled meaningfully.

“I will.” He said, and left.

Ren remained by the doorway, feeling there was a message behind that smile, but decided not to dwell on it. Ren returned to the boxed cake and cut a slice as he wanted, and sneakily sliced a bigger one.

He turned it towards him when he noted letters on the side and squinted his eyes to read the smudged hangul. He then looked back at the cake and paid better attention to its frosting than the ingredients inside.

He paused as he realized what the words spelled out.

“It’s not my fault,” Ren repeated as he sat on the couch, leaving the cake untouched on the table.

Baekho never mentioned a birthday, and logically, there was a reason to. The two were never close enough to know each other’s birthdays or other important dates.

Despite that, he still felt guilty. Hopefully the party he was attending was a good one.

“That’s right,” he realized. He then reached for the cake and scooped a few bites, remembering that the party was bound to be filled with the type of company Baekho associated with. Ren remembered the past ones, and although he lingered behind the scenes, Baekho always surrounded himself with the models there.

Not that he had to put much effort to, he looked every part of the lucrative business man, they naturally fluttered to his side.

Ren paused, lowering his small plate.

He was suddenly losing his appetite again.

-

Ren stirred at the sound of the footsteps, he glanced at the clock by the bed first absentmindedly, it was midnight. He peered open one eye and barely caught sight of a figure standing by the doorway.

Before he could wonder as to why, sleep overwhelmed him, and Ren knocked out again.

The door then opened a second time, and Ren stirred awake. He looked at the clock, 3:42 it read.

Thud!

Ren quickly appeared in the living room at the sound, he saw the figure lean against the kitchen counter and Ren hurried to flick on the lights.

Baekho turned around, his hand on the counter. He smiled apologetically and asked calmly, “I’m sorry, did I wake you?”

Ren then stepped forward, craning his eyes to see. It was faint, but the bright lights revealed it.

At first it’s difficult to make out against his black suit, there displayed a dark shadow pooled into his right sleeve, and deep red dripping down the metal sink.

-

His first instincts were to call for an ambulance, maybe the police, but it’s clear Baekho wouldn’t accept either option and declines any chance of doing so.

And so Ren idly remained by as he tried to help, standing by as Baekho stood in his bathroom and cleaned his wound.

“I could help your back if you need it.”

Baekho briefly glanced his way, “It’s fine.”

As Baekho applied the alcohol, he flinched just slightly, and Ren immediately stepped forward and took the alcohol from him.

He felt compelled to help in some way at least, and wordlessly did so. He wasn’t perfect or as calm as Baekho was, but did his best to keep his cool as he lifted the materials. Tending to his wound as if it were any normal cut as Baekho sat on the bathroom counter with his back to the mirror.

He stood notably close, with Baekho’s face just inches away from his chest, but Ren was too preoccupied to give it a second thought.

Baekho wasn’t as fortunate.

“Are you sure you want to remain that closeby?”

“How will I help if I’m at an arm’s length away? Even doctors have to get near a patient.”

Baekho reached for the materials to handle it himself when Ren stopped him, and the former looked up, their eyes locked.

Baekho then looped his finger in the loopholes of Ren’s pants and tugged at his waist, Ren managed to stop himself from falling on him completely, lifting his chest up. Baekho remained undisturbed as he spoke.

“Because the moment you let me, this is exactly how close I want us to be.”

Ren cleared his throat, considering their circumstances, he gradually relented to Baekho’s surprise.

At his expression, Ren replied, “You’re in pain, I can’t exactly fight you now, can I?”

Baekho smiled despite himself, letting go. “You shouldn’t indulge me.”

Ren thought it over, and admitted, “Compared to the other things in my life, you’re not as risky.”

Baekho appeared doubtful, Ren wasn’t taking his word to heart. On the contrary, he was.

Baekho was stronger, admittedly so, no matter how much exercise and strength Ren gained. If Baekho ever wanted to force Ren to him, he could do so with ease.

The fact that Baekho never used that against him then, even now when he was in his home. Most would think Ren was helplessly at Baekho’s every whim, but the man never did anything to prove that.

Ren didn’t take another second’s hesitation, returning to help him as needed.

At first, the idea of his feelings, his character, Baekho was a source of fear for him. For so long that it’s become a habit, even with Baekho’s help now, he had decided on his distance from the moment he agreed to be sheltered.

Baekho had understood those boundaries, and that was why he so carefully reminded him of that promise.

“Just...promise you won’t touch me unnecessarily.”

Ren was clear from the beginning for Baekho not to expect anything more. And yet it was beginning to shift.

After all, he was no longer afraid of him.

Ren helped cut the bandage in half, “I thought you said you didn’t involve yourself in your family’s matters.”

“Not in my group’s,” Baekho corrected, “But when it involved my actual blood brother, of course I had to. I’ve always been a better communicator than he was, I’m usually able to mediate and settle the score.”

“And if that doesn’t work out?”

“Well… thankfully I’m also a better fighter than he is,” Baekho winced as Ren applied the alcohol to his skin.

“If he makes problems like this all the time, why is your brother running the group?”

Baekho paused, considering it. “In the past, it may have been a concern. Yet he’s becoming more capable every year and maturing, although he still makes mistakes now and then. I just do my best to clean them up when they do occur.”

“You’re good to your family, aren’t you?”

“As the saying goes, you can feel your blood ties reaching out to you, even if you don’t realize it.” Baekho then looked down as Ren wrapped it around his arm. “If you prefer, I can–”

Ren dismissed his attempt as he threw the used cloths aside, “I should learn anyhow.” He tossed them into the hamper when he looked at the ruined dress shirt and suit. “You’re going to give your dry cleaner a heart attack.”

Baekho grew both amused and doubtful. “When will you ever do this again?”

“It may not look it, but my job can get dangerous.” Ren then ed his shirt and tugged it down just slightly, revealing a long gash alongside his shoulder, although heavily faded and near transparent. “I slipped on some rocks we were on during a shoot.” He turned his arm for Baekho to gain a better look. “See?”

There was silence for a while, and as Baekho’s eyes remained intently on him, the model felt himself grow shy as he buttoned up his shirt. “Not so perfect, am I?”

Baekho’s smile returned as he sleepily closed his eyes, “I’m the last one you should ask.”

“Are you hurt anywhere else?” Ren asked, but Baekho merely shook his head. Ren stood in front of him to check that he wrapped it just right, when he felt a weight against him.

Baekho leaned his head against Ren’s chest.

“This is the most I’ll do,” he hears Baekho say, “I promise.”

That was meant to calm him, but Ren wasn’t flustered in the least, this was the least he could do for him.

He casually checked over him just in case Baekho lied about any other wounds, but there didn’t appear to be anything. And as his eyes look into the mirror and helped to guide his hand down his skin, he could see that Baekho’s back showed no signs of being hurt.

He tilted his head, his hand was rather pale against his tattooed back, and became all the more noticeable.

Ren grew a little amused by that.

The mixed scent of a light, wooden blend rose, he didn’t realize Baekho wore cologne, and then noted his cologne hung so tight against Baekho’s skin, that only being so close could he make out the nutty fragrance.

“You...smell of mint and vanilla.”

Ren lifted his gaze, taken back as Baekho spoke and lifted himself from him, now awake.

Ren tried to shake the tension from his shoulders, forcing a small laugh, “An odd mix, isn’t it?”

Baekho then hopped off the counter, “It suits you.”

Ren nervously cleaned up, and tried to occupy his thoughts elsewhere, although they failed in every aspect.

In the mirror that reflected him, displayed a hue of red in his cheeks.

-

“You will not.”

Ren forced him Baekho into the bedroom from the living room.

“I’m not going to let you sleep on the couch, not in your state.” Ren uttered as Baekho sat on the edge of the bed with Ren standing with crossed arms just before him.

“And if you don’t, I’ll take the chair.”

“And if you do, I’ll sleep on the floor.” Ren retaliated.

Baekho lifted his head at the statement, and sighed, “You’re not cute when you’re like this.” He said in defeat as he laid against the bed.

Ren just accepted that, but could see that it still visibly bothered Baekho that Ren would take the couch outside. Ren didn’t want to stress him any further as he headed to the bathroom to finish washing up himself.

Ren then returned and opened the windows just slightly to keep the air circulating. And to Baekho’s surprise, after Ren returns, the younger man takes the space just to his right of the bed.

Ren catches his expression. “It’d give me peace of mind. At least I can check if you’re alright throughout the night." Ren reasoned, "Besides, we’re both grown men, we can be adults about this.”

Baekho returned a defeated look. “You may be... but I can’t.”

Ren furrowed his brow, and rather than explain, Baekho gently took Ren’s hand and held it to his chest.

The hard pounding in his chest said it all.

Baekho released his hand and Ren lowered his head, “I’m sorry.”

Baekho may have for years, but that didn’t mean his feelings were insincere. And just like any normal man, being near someone he liked in the company of his bed, it was hard for even a normally rational man to be calm about it.

Ren moved himself a little further to the right of the bed, “This...should do?”

Baekho just smiled wistfully, “that’s fine. Thank you.”

-

Baekho had his own reasons for why he couldn't sleep. Ren had none, but found he was just as restless.

And as the sky turned a lighter shade of blue, Baekho saw Ren turn his way.

“Happy birthday.”

Baekho blinked before breaking out into a smile, “Thank you.”

“...Your gift will arrive at some point, once I think of it.”

Baekho chuckled at his guilty tone, “You’ve never had a reason to know it.”

“Maybe, but I feel worse now considering how you spent yesterday. And with your help lately, I’ll just feel ungrateful if I don’t.”

“I’ll just consider this morning a present.”

Ren narrowed his eyes as Baekho laughed quietly, “The most that could be labeled as is medical assisting, if that’s a gift, I’m afraid nothing I buy will measure up to it.”

Baekho’s smiled remained as he closed his eyes. Ren grew silent to help him sleep, even with his eyes wide open and staring at the ceiling.

“Keep talking.” Baekho quietly asked.

Ren turned his way as Baekho remained still, “Aren’t you tired?”

“...Not yet.”

Ren didn’t believe him, but did so and spoke about nonsensical topics for the rest of the morning, speaking scrambled thoughts that didn’t correlate to the other.

Despite it, Baekho didn’t seem to mind it in the least.

Out of curiosity, Ren asked, “What do you think of when your birthday comes around?”

“That I’ve managed to live another year.”

“That… isn’t quite the thought you should be having.” Although he supposed men from Jopok thought differently.

Then again, as he considered that comment, he realized he was now having the same thoughts.

If Minhyun got his way, it was very likely the birthday he celebrated this year was his last. And the thought sunk in his chest.

“If there’s a present you’d like to have, tell me, if it’s within my means, I’ll try to get it for you.” Except he felt with Baekho’s help, he’d probably have to supplement his gifts with about a hundred others. “And it has to be an actual thing.” He requested to Baekho’s amusement.

“I’ll see.” Baekho replied.

Ren remained silent as other thoughts run through his mind, when another question presents itself.

“Why did you decide to stop being jopok?”

There was a silence at first, and Ren assumed Baekho had fallen asleep.

Even if he were awake, Ren figured Baekho probably wouldn't have answered either way.

“...You never imagined a better life?”

Ren blinked at Baekho’s reply, “I have,” he admitted wistfully, “one where I was ridiculously rich.”

Baekho chuckled as Ren felt a chill sharply descend across the room, the air was growing colder. Rather than move to close the window, he buried himself beneath the covers.

Baekho opened his eyes and observed at his movements, and when Ren catches his look beneath the blankets, he glared at Baekho's growing amusement.

“So many people around me don’t know anything about you, they even said they’ve never heard you laugh.” Ren said as he rolled himself further in to gain every bit of warmth possible.

When Baekho first came onto the scene, gossip and intrigue curiosity never failed to enter their circles. Yet Baekho remained rather behind the scenes despite his more vocal designer, and the few who do have a chance to speak with him, find it’s difficult to know his character beyond that of the sharp business man, much less his weaknesses.

It’s as if Ren knew the most intimate details of his life in comparison, when in fact the model barely scratched the surface.

“I laugh.”

Ren scoffed, and laid his head against the pillow, finding a comfortable place now. “Anyone can tell the difference between a professional laugh and a sincere one." And as the clock ticks above them, his eyelids grow heavier as he softly mused. "Which surprises me, considering how I see you act.”

“You shouldn’t be,” Baekho said as he mulled into sleep, “When I’m around you, I can’t help it.”

Ren felt his own eyes drift as Baekho fell further into sleep, and faintly said as the morning overtook them.

“I realized that three years ago.”

-

When Ren woke up, he slowly came to. It takes a moment to remember his surroundings, for his mind to put sense as he laid on the bed, to recognize the man whose face remained only inches away from his.

Relief settled into his features and was rather calm despite it, “You’re alright at least.” He said, comforted by the thought.

He lifted himself from the bed, careful not to rub his eyes as he turned around, “I should– FOR THE LOVE OF–!”

Baekho snapped awake by instinct, sitting upright on the bed when he looked up.

Jonghyun held a finger to his lips, standing in the center of the doorway of their room with Ren fallen to the ground. He meant it for Ren to keep quiet so as not to wake the injured man. 

Jonghyun then saw Baekho was widely awake and exhaled dismissively at the startled model, dryly adding, “And a good morning to you too.”

-

“What are you doing here? When did you even?”

“About an hour ago. You two didn’t even stir when I opened the door.” Jonghyun placed the bags on the coffee table.

Ren said nothing and looked through the bag, he found various kits and medicines inside.

There was nothing urgent about any of the things inside. In fact, if Jonghyun wanted to, he simply could have left the bag and left.

“Then you came to see if he was alright?” Ren asked.

“It appears he is,” Jonghyun concluded on his own, “considering the state of you two just now.”

“It was just his arm, thankfully the rest of him was fine.”

“Of course, Baekho’s always been able to handle himself, no matter the circumstances.”

“That’s not always a good thing,” Ren mustered, “at least he let me helped dress his wound.”

“You?” Jonghyun questioned.

Ren nodded but the look remained on Jonghyun’s face, it was impassive, but he read his tone. And when Ren asked as to why, he replied, “I’m merely surprised. Were the wounds dressed correctly?”

“He did fine.”

The two both looked up at the sight of Baekho returning to the living room, having finished his shoulder without help. Ren was surprised how freely Baekho was able to move, despite the extent of his injuries.

Ren then noticed Jonghyun staring at him, and realized the two probably wanted to speak privately. “I’ll be making coffee,” he excused himself to the kitchen.

-

Jonghyun waited by the large windows as Ren placed a cup of coffee on the table by him. Jonghyun didn’t look once at it.

“For you, if you want.”

Jonghyun didn’t say anything and Ren figured that was as much as he’d get out of him, walking to the bedroom.

Baekho was now doing his best to dress himself for work despite Ren’s protests. It appeared a businessman was still a businessman no matter the circumstances.

Ren helped Baekho dress, although the latter appeared to be mostly capable of dressing himself. Although it obviously pained him, Baekho beared through it.

“I know it’s hard for your types, but try not to stress over work too much today.” Ren reminded as he helped buttoned up his cuffs. "If anything, find a distraction, like what I should get for your birthday.”

Baekho arched an eyebrow as Ren reminded, “You can ask for one thing.”

Baekho was sitting on the bed and looked his way as he adjusted his tie.

Ren grew wary as Baekho’s stare remained his way.

“Don’t worry,” Baekho assured him, knowing where Ren’s mind wandered to. “I know what lines not to cross.”

Ren’s always made them perfectly clear since day one.

“A photo,” Baekho then says, to Ren’s brief confusion. “Let’s take one together.”

“Is that really all you want?”

Baekho nodded once. “Unless you have other things in mind, I’m not too particular.”

Ren thinned his lips, “I’ll think about it.”

Baekho fixed his dress shirt as Ren picked up his watch from the nightstand, holding it up. His gaze admired the watch, but saw it held no brand name to it.

“What brand is this?”

“A new brand that hasn’t hit stores just yet, that’s just a prototype. You can try it on if you’d like,” Baekho then suggested.

Ren approached him with the watch on hand, “I doubt it’d fit.” Ren showed by comparing their wrists side by side, “your watch isn’t adjustable,” he added.

Baekho waited expectantly, and Ren exhaled, deciding to show by example as he clasped the watch over his wrist. When it hung loosely as expected, Baekho took a step closer and touched his watch, then folded the excess band until it fitted about his wrist.

“It fits now.”

“And how I would go about wearing it? With you as an accessory?”

“If that’s what it takes.”

Baekho laughed as Ren withdrew his hand to unclasped the band. Baekho extended his hand to accept it, when instead Ren wrapped the watch about his wrist and helped clasped it for him.

When the model began to pick up the supplies, he realized the satisfied look that Baekho held as he put on his arms through the sleeves of his sportcoat.

Ren grew wary of his expression, “You didn’t imagine this either, did you?”

“I hadn’t,” Baekho assured as he buttoned up, only to add a little after the fact, “until now.”

Ren nearly tossed the spare bandages by habit and stopped himself short, “You’re still hurt after all…” He said as he stepped out, but gave a warning look as he walked past the bemused man. “But just this once.”

-

Jonghyun sat in his car as Baekho drove. They had already spoke about most of their matters at the apartment, but there were still a subject Jonghyun didn’t dare to bring up. Not where they could be overheard.

The moment they took off, Jonghyun justly spoke. “I’ve checked, no one has followed them to the airport. The men I saw scouting their house have also stopped coming by recently.”

“I see.” Baekho replied.

Jonghyun could tell by his tone that it wasn’t the news he wanted to hear. “We could take this as a good sign.”

“I take it that for the sake of the festival, his father forced him to suspend his search for now.”

“Then you don’t believe he’s stopped?”

“You know him as well as I do, and that Minhyun isn’t the type to pull back.” Baekho uttered, and Jonghyun was simply silent, knowing that to be true.

The car pulled into the lot.

“Do you want me to go to Taipei too?” Jonghyun asked.

“No, Minhyun doesn’t have any influence there. It’s better if you return home, make sure my brother doesn’t overfill because of festivities.”

Jonghyun nodded when Baekho stepped out of the car. Jonghyun turned his back and walked where the crowds were the thickest, losing himself until they were a good distance apart. People gradually parted as Jonghyun walked through, careful not to make eye contact with his likes.

Jonghyun looked back as Baekho joined his partner and oversaw the photoshoots, and soon others filed about him, easily fitting into the crowd.

Anyone could see that Baekho was different from the man he once was.

Ren sat back against the chair, looking at his own photos on the computer when he pulled up another link. To the back of the photo where Fu Longfei proudly stood, remained Baekho that happened to be captured by the cameras.

There was always a line that marked him different from the rest, that everyone failed to see. One that helped Ren keep up his guard.

Ren tipped the phone to his lips.

That line wasn’t as clear as it used to be.