Chapter 2

Haven

The debut stage of Carmesí brought about reporters from all sectors, every known celebrity of relevance and popularity, and most within the fashion industry arrived out of intrigue as they watched the catwalk.

And afterwards as the designer stepped out to their applause, Ren knew it’d be a success.

Rookie brands don’t receive this sort of attention so quickly, and Ren heard chatter and other’s theories as to why, but it’s evident to him why the designer had the support he had.

During the after party, Fu Longfei then took to the center of the room. Ren held the wine glass to his chest as the cameras flashed at his arrival. Ren’s eyes shift from the proud designer who stood center wise, to the man whose presence was revealed by every passing light in the shadows.

Although Baekho drew no attention purposely to himself, the media snap their pictures, include him in their news and videos. He was now included in society’s circles, although he was still a private man.

Baekho gave a courteous smile as he remained in the background. And by chance, his eyes happen upon Ren’s, and his smile changes into a warm one.

Ren quickly turned his head to his friends’ confusion, “Nothing,” he said unconvincingly.

Although that expression doesn’t scare him, his past does. And the best advice Ren could follow was to be careful around him.

Better yet, to avoid him at all costs.

-

When morning arrived, the model gradually woke up and sat up on the bed, blinking slowly for a few minutes until he forces the covers off him and freshen up.

“His clothes are too big,” Ren murmured as he tied his shirt and used a ponytail to tie it and keep it in place. He splashed the cold water on his face and neared the loud faucet.

His cell rung quietly, and when it left to voice mail, a text message arrived signaled by the green light.

Ren dried his face with a fresh towel and looked into the mirror and the large interior. The bathroom itself was an ordinary one, as was the bathroom and the apartment, it definitely gave a good glimpse of Baekho’s income with its city view and space. The interior was decorated with high quality furniture and was set up as if Baekho were taking a page out of a catalogue.

Being so ordinary was probably a good thing, however, and Ren was able to ease into his new surroundings. He wasn’t sure how long he’d have to be there anyhow, it was better to be comfortable than anything.

And useful, he thought, the last thing he wanted act as some freeloader. He fixed the bedsheets first and placed his beeping cell on the table, setting the room straight although that took little. Even the bathroom was well kept.

“He never makes anything easy, does he?” Ren said in contempt and walked out of the bedroom–

Ren had a double take.

The man sharply looked back at Ren, he had a deep v-neck black shirt with rolled up sleeves, a tattoo wrapped around one arm and to his right hand. He looked unamused as he reached for the paper bags from the table and approached Ren who took a step back.

The distance wasn’t shortening, and at last Jonghyun tossed the bags by Ren’s side. “There’s a spare set of clothes beneath it.”

Ren peeked into the bags and saw it came with shampoo, conditioners, and other necessities he might need. He found the spare set and looked up at the man who stoically waited.

“Are you a friend of Baekho’s?” Ren asked tentatively.

“...I suppose it’s better to think that way.” Jonghyun replied impassively. “Hurry and change.”

Ren cleared his throat as he walked into the bedroom and closed his door, he stared at the set when he saw his cell with its green light and checked his message.

“Don’t be alarmed when Jonghyun arrives.” - Baekho

Jonghyun turned around as Ren returned, the model acknowledged, “They do fit.”

“Is there anything else you need?” Jonghyun asked curtly.

“No, thank you.”

Jonghyun didn’t follow up and swiftly left without so much as another glance, leaving the model confused as he set to lock the door.

Without work, Ren was left with little to do. He organized his new belongings into a section in the bathroom without impeding into Baekho’s space, although there was plenty throughout the loft. Ren re-washed some dishes and countertops, but they were already spotless, and he only had a few dishes. He was only one man, Ren supposed, he doubted Baekho needed much.

The door opened and Baekho stepped in, and blinked at the sight of Ren cleaning his refrigerator.

“You don’t need to.” Baekho added as he left some bags in the kitchen.

“I don’t like just lounging around.”

“You never did look as if you knew how to relax,” Baekho acknowledged, and his gaze studied Ren’s outfit. “Then Jonghyun did stop by… although the clothing could have been better chosen.”

Ren paused, looking at his own outfit. “What’s wrong with it? I like it.”

Baekho appeared a little displeased. “Isn’t it too loose?”

Ren blinked, “It fits just fine.” He then paused, and gave a black look once it dawns him towards the man who turned his back. Thankfully, none of his current clothes were skin-tight, and he was going to keep it that way.

Baekho pulled out the fresh food from the bags. “Have you eaten?”

“I don’t have much of an appetite.”

Baekho thinned his lips in concern, but said nothing as he began to unwrap the stuff he brought along. Before Baekho could take them all out, the other had already began to pull them aside and put away or wash them as needed.

“You can rest.”

“I’d rather not, I’m feeling restless enough.” Ren looked about the kitchen and found exactly the knives he was looking for, it appeared he now knew his entire kitchen inside and out.

Ren helped him cut the vegetables, and he noticed Baekho trying to hide his pleased expression.

“Why are you smiling now?”

Baekho the stovetop, “I was just thinking this is a lot like a dream I had once.”

Ren narrowed his eyes. “You’re not allowed to think about me.”

“Not even in my dreams?”

“I hope they’re nightmares.” Ren then uttered, “If you’re going to keep like that, head out.”

Baekho sighed, “You’re not cute when you’re like this.”

Yet he didn’t put up a fight as he left, leaving Ren tending to the meal he conducted himself. He strained every now and then for some sort of sound, but all he soon hears is the sound of the keyboard clicking.

Once finished, he headed out with the bowls on hand and placed them on the table. Baekho lifted his attention from the laptop and peered at Ren who sat across from him. Somehow, the model was able to keep up a stern expression throughout.

“I lied,” Baekho admitted as he closed his laptop. “You’re cute no matter what you’re doing.”

Ren curtly ignored him, earning a quiet snicker as they ate.

-

Ren had the television to a soft volume as he watched the news, above the noise he heard the clear sounds of a pencil scratching against paper. The model folded his legs to his chest and momentarily observed as Baekho sketched.

Even around his drafting table, Ren could see all the colored pencils and accessories needed.

He would have thought that Fu Longfei was the sole man responsible for the brand, but it surprised him to see that even Baekho was involved. It appeared there was some truth to what his manager had said, although he couldn’t quite see what exactly he was drawing.

The model craned his neck and tried to peak when Baekho turned around, his pencil paused as they faced one another. Ren froze and immediately averted his eyes, resuming his attention to the television.

“If you like, you could color.” Baekho offered.

Ren grimaced, having flashbacks of his parents giving him the same suggestion as a child. Is this what he had been reduced to? “I’m not much of an artist.”

Baekho continued his sketch, “Would you like me to draw you?”

“No thanks.”

“That’s probably for the best. I wouldn’t be able to give you justice.”

Ren narrowed his eyes at the comment and abruptly stood up, “I’m going to go exercise.” He decided.

Baekho gave a peculiar look, it was already night. “It’s a little late for that, isn’t it?”

“I need to remain in top shape, even if I’m not working.” He started retying his hair to its proper hold and started to stretch.

Baekho’s gaze lingered for a little longer than necessary. “Then you’re more than welcome to,” he encouraged.

Ren walked into the kitchen and returned with a water bottle on hand, and to Baekho’s confusion, started walking to the bedroom.

“Are you going to in there?”

“There’s enough space in there.”

“There’s more space out here,” Baekho reminded.

Ren crossed his arms and curtly asked, “And can you promise you won’t look at me if I did exercise out here?”

Baekho held back a smile and admitted, “I don’t believe I can.”

Ren gave a suspicious look and went to the bedroom, closing the door shut behind him.

-

The pencil was set down as Baekho stood up, stretching his back and arms from his position. His cell then rang and he reached for is, “Yes?”

It was his assistant calling, “I’ve scheduled a meeting with Choi Sajangnim tomorrow at noon at the Midtown Plaza. She said that’s the only time she’s available.”

“She’s truly a difficult one to meet with.”

“Then you agree to the meeting?”

“Of course, I just have to gather my material together. Remember to have the portfolio printed and copies made for us both.”

“Yes, Sir,” his assistant agreed and the two hung up. Baekho stepped away from his drafting table and towards his laptop, opening it as he looked for the necessary files he needed tomorrow.

They were nearly all there, but there were still a few he required, and he glanced at his bedroom door.

It had been two hours, he figured Ren would be done by then and approached his room, knocking on the door. “Pardon me, I’m coming in to grab some things I need.”

“You can come in.”

He opened the door and saw Ren sitting upright on the edge of the bed, drying his hair after his shower. Baekho walked to his drawers and pulled out the necessary folders, once he had them all, he turned to leave and shut the door.

“Leave the door open, it’s a little warm in here.” Ren asked of him.

Baekho glanced at the bedroom’s large windows whose curtains were fully drawn, “Why not open them? It’s a cool night.”

The model’s gaze shifted and his lips thinned as he continued drying his hair, he then set down his towel. “I didn’t want to take the chance of being spotted. One can never be too careful.”

Baekho’s hand remained on the door handle as he surveyed the other. Ren looked further distressed by the thought that he couldn’t even enjoy fresh air without second guessing himself.

“...Am I really safe here?”

Baekho shifted his attention towards Ren whose gaze remained rooted to the floor, “What do you mean?”

“My friend,” Ren recalled, “she had also come across some trouble too back then. Thankfully, her father intervened and sent her abroad, but knowing it had came to that. All because of her relationship with your…” He trailed off, lowering his head.

“He bragged about her to everyone who wasn’t deaf,” Baekho stated, leaning against the door. “My brother isn’t always one to think of the consequences. With how much he talked, it was inevitable that he’d bring trouble to her.”

“Haven’t you lik… been around me for a while now?” Ren worded carefully, turning around. “Won’t he know and start to suspect you’ve been covering for me?”

“Unlike my brother, I don’t needlessly broadcast my private life” Baekho replied. “The only one who really knows how earnest my feelings are towards you is you.”

Ren didn’t say anything. His fingers clutched and nervously tugged at the towel. Ren regretted looking up, when he hears Baekho’s sweet talk before, it’s easy to dismiss.

And yet when their eyes meet and such words are said, it isn’t so easy to brush aside, not when they’re meant so ardently.

Ren finally forces himself to look away, and gives a haughty reply back, “If you say so.”

Baekho chuckled at his expression and endearingly regarded the model, “You shouldn’t worry so much, it isn’t becoming of you.”

“I’m more than welcome to make any expression I want.” Ren countered. “Is there one you prefer?”

“I prefer all your expressions, even the ones I don’t get to see.” At Ren’s confusion, Baekho replied, “I admit I sometimes let my imagination get carried away.”

Baekho laughed as he barely dodged the towel thrown tossed his way, Ren glowered at the empty doorway and turned around, laying sprawled on the bed.

His fears are justified, but they weren’t as prominent as earlier. Ren exhaled as he laid on his back and closed his eyes. Even despite Baekho’s words, his nerves don’t relax that simply, and he merely hopes that some sleep would calm them down.

The next morning when Ren stirred at the sound of the shower, he glanced at the time and could see he overslept a bit. He closed his eyes, enjoying a few more minutes since Baekho occupied the bathroom anyhow and buried himself in the pillows.

Ren briefly heard the door open, his eyes open absentmindedly when he looks about the room and towards the open walk-in closet that remained open to his view.

Baekho draped the towel around his neck and reached for his suit separates, with his back turned to him, Ren paused at the sight of his skin.

The tattoo wrapped itself around his shoulders and downside his back. And with every movement, his tattoo appeared to come alive with its vibrant colors.

And the moment Baekho puts on his metal gray dotted dress shirt, its obscured by the fabric, paired with his black blazer and pants, with a matching tie in place, Baekho resumed looking like an ordinary business man.

It’s something Ren nearly forgets when he’s around Baekho, after his teasing and his good natured demeanor, the facts about him are forgotten.

Although Baekho was protecting him, he still had to be cautious around him.

The model simply had to remember that.

-

Ren had been a little too preoccupied with watching the news, although he doubted it’d tell him anything new, he hoped for some hint that the man was calming his search on him.

Yet the media made no news of jopok, and Ren figured there was a good reason why, like the rest of the country, they were afraid of them. “Rightly so,” he murmured.

The door opened and Ren looked behind him.

Jonghyun held a hanger with a plastic wrap and a second bag on the other hand. Ren walked over and reached for his familiar clothes from the hanger, and he paused when he realized that Jonghyun had his laundry in the first place.

“How?”

“Baekho told me these sorts of clothes had could only be dry-cleaned, was he wrong?”

“N-no, but… thank you.” Ren wanted to laugh at the idea of Jonghyun waiting at the dry cleaner’s with a ticket on hand, but he figured the man wouldn’t be amused at his comment and kept as much of a straight face as he could.

Jonghyun then tossed the second bag by him, “Try these on.”

“It’s fine, I’m sure they’ll fit.”

Jonghyun gave no response and waited, Ren felt the uncomfortable atmosphere and slowly nodded, “I’ll be right back then,” he decided and walked into the bedroom.

He looked about the room for where to hang his dry cleaning, although freshly pressed, he wondered if he could leave them folded somewhere. Ren didn’t ask for a space for his belongings, and for the moment left them on the bed.

He finished changing into his second set and checked the mirror placed inside the closet, the clothes did fit when his eyes look from the mirror to the space behind him. Baekho’s towel was casually tossed on shelf above his clothes, likely forgotten from earlier.

Ren shook his head and tugged at the towel when it was caught on something, he reached out to stop the object from falling when with a final tug, the box fell and missed Ren’s grip, clattering loudly to the ground. The box opened and the item inside slid across.

Ren quickly dropped the towel and reached for the belongings when he froze.

Jonghyun calmly stepped into the room at the ruckus and spotted Ren with all color gone from his face, staring into the closet. Jonghyun stepped into view and checked inside, it was a gun.

Jonghyun was entirely collected as he stepped inside and reached for the gun, placing it back into the box and returning it to its spot on the shelf. He stepped out and blinked at the model who remained visibly disturbed.

“Don’t worry, it isn’t loaded, even if the safety wasn’t on, you wouldn’t have been hurt.” Jonghyun calmly explained.

Ren cleared his throat as he sat on Baekho’s bed, doing his best to calm himself.

Jonghyun remained even-tempered as he watched him, and soon spoke.

“He’s a good man.”

Ren looked up as Jonghyun continued, “He makes money off businesses he’s invested into himself. All legitimate.” He then added, “He hasn’t severed ties with his family despite the honest living attempt he’s making, however, he does realize the risks that come with associating with his family and takes the necessary precautions.”

“I know that, it’s just… a bit of a shock, that’s all. I know what sort of person he is.” It was difficult not to, Ren felt, the more time he spent with Baekho, his opinion of him began to change and shape itself.

There would always be a figment of Baekho’s past Ren could never forget, yet Baekho must have worked hard to get to this point. Ren couldn’t dismiss his changes so easily, it would be unfair to.

Ren glimpsed at Jonghyun and mustered a smile, “You’re a more compassionate person that I thought.”

Jonghyun remained wooden at the compliment. “I don’t want you to misunderstand Baekho’s intentions, that’s all.” Jonghyun then asked, “Do they fit?”

“They do, they’re not bad either. I didn’t think jop– that you knew fashion.” Ren quickly corrected.

“I don’t, I just bought outfits straight from the mannequins that fit your size. I loathe shopping,” Jonghyun dryly added.

Ren looked down awkwardly.

“Yet if Baekho wants it, I’ll do it.” Jonghyun settled and then turned to leave.

Ren followed him out. “...Then do you work for Baekho?”

“No, I work for his brother, but he has me check on him now and then.”

“Does he know about me?”

Jonghyun paused by the front door and faced the model, “I believed it was better not to tell him.”

Ren nodded, “That’s probably for the best.”

-

Ren doesn’t mention what he saw when Baekho arrives home, he finds no point to when Baekho placed their dinner on the table.

Ren recognized the logo on the boxes, “I know that restaurant, isn’t it at the Midtown Plaza?”

“Do you like their food?”

Ren immediately smiled, “Of course I do.”

The model then stiffened, realizing how a little too eager he must have looked and sounded. He glanced at Baekho who remained looking his way, watching him with a hint of amusement.

“I mean, it’s not so bad.” Ren mustered and sat down with his chair purposely moved the farthest it could be from him, Baekho hid his smile and the two started to eat.

Ren began to eat and smiled in satisfaction in between bites. “Was it busy there?”

“I suppose.”

“That restaurant has a really good view too, if you sit at their corner tables, you can see the fountain.” Ren recalled. “At night, they even have colorful lights beneath the water.”

“I don’t believe I’ve seen that.”

Ren widened his eyes, “You haven’t? It’s beautifully designed, you should.”

Baekho looked up, “Would you like to go to the Plaza?”

Ren gave a stiff smile, “Looking at my circumstances, I don’t think it’s a good idea to be in such a crowded place.”

“There could be a day when it’s empty.”

“That doesn’t sound likely.”

“I could have it arranged.”

Ren paused as he chewed his food at Baekho’s expectant expression, “No, thank you.”

They remained in silence as they ate, and Baekho glanced as Ren’s chopsticks remained propped on the box, barely tugging at his food.

“Do you miss being outside?” Baekho asked.

Ren glanced his way and thinned his lips, he was figured out. “I do, but it’s not something I want to risk.”

“I could have something arranged. If there’s anywhere you’d like to go,” Baekho added, “Suggest anything that comes to mind and I’ll do my best.”

“I think I’m fine here… until things calm down. Once they do, I’ll be able to go outside all I want.” Ren’s eyes lowered, the idea felt too faraway now.

“What if he does find me?”

“I find that unlikely.” Baekho smiled, “Unless you go running out and parade in front of his house, which you’re not planning on I hope.”

Ren leered as he moved his food. “You’re confident.”

“Of course I am,” Baekho said, eating comfortably. “Is that what you’re worried about? I think I can take care of you.”

“It’s not that…”

“Then? I believe I can handle things fine from where I stand. You're here because I promised you that. I don’t want you to have to worry Ren.”

“And if something does happen to me?” Ren wondered, he looked at Baekho and the businessman finishing his bite before responding.

It’s as if a different being appeared instead of the usual Baekho, one whose straight face and determination looked unwavering, any hint of his easygoing demeanor is gone without a trace.

This was likely the side he showed when he was with them.

“I wouldn’t let that happen,” Baekho stated it as if it were fact, and even Ren couldn’t feel a hint of doubt.

He even believed him.

Ren reached for his fork and started to eat to Baekho’s relief, the model’s appetite had come back.

They ate in peace.

-