Chapter 1

Haven
When Ren first heard of it, he scoffed at the idea. “I don’t even know her,” he uttered.

“You may have passed by her at a party.”

“Maybe, but I don’t keep track of how many people I’ve introduced myself to.” Ren uttered.

“Although you think of her as a stranger, he apparently doesn’t think so.” His manager murmured, and Ren cringed at the idea.

His security team heightened and he was on constant watch, all because the woman told her insanely jealous boyfriend that she actually had a fling with Ren. A woman Ren was sure he never spent more than a minute with.

Worst, that man turned out to be jopok, the son of the STG Group’s leader, Ren realized just how much danger this lie put him in.

Ren didn’t touch his food in the restaurant, checking his phone every now and then for any update from his management or boss.

“Are you alright?”

Ren nearly jumped and snapped around in his seat, and faced the man who leaned on the booth chair above him, curiously blinking at Ren’s swift actions.

“Oh, it’s just you.” Ren muttered.

Baekho chuckled and eagerly leaned over, “I haven’t seen you around lately, I’ve missed you.”

“I haven’t.”

“So cruel,” Baekho laughed, not minding his callous tone. Ren turned back around and Baekho tilted his head, noting his untouched dinner plate and the solemnness that overtook the model. “Is something bothering you?”

“It’s nothing.”

“That doesn’t appear so,” Baekho added with crossed arms lazily placed above the chair, “A man like you and worry don’t mix well together.”

“How can I not when there’s a manhunt out there for me?”

Baekho didn’t hear his murmur and craned closer to hear, yet Ren spotted his manager walking inside and stood up, reaching for his wallet.

“Are you leaving so soon?” Baekho asked in disappointment. “It’s lonely without you.”

Ren glanced back at the women filled Baekho’s booth and arched an eyebrow, “Is that so?” He turned to plant the money on the table, when a wad of cash takes place first. Ren looked up, meeting Baekho’s gaze.

“With you here, everything and everyone else is irrelevant to me.” Baekho said simply and upfront.

Ren looked away and ignored his declaration, he snatched the money and placed his own on the table, stuffing it back into Baekho’s hand.

“Why won’t you let me do at least the little things for you?” Baekho lightly grumbled.

“Because I know that trick.” Ren stated, “All of that will start to add up, and one day I’ll be left with a debt I can’t pay back.” He then walked past the rejected Baekho who still held his smile despite it.

His gaze lingered on the younger man who turned his back on him, “You never have to,” Baekho said earnestly.

The manager turned her head and looked back at the man left by the booth, recognizing the familiar face. “He’s still around you, isn’t he?”

“He hasn’t left me alone since that party.” Ren answered, one from three years ago no less.

“He seems like a nice guy.” She grinned. “And he’s not doing too bad either. You know that DS Bank that was recently built? His company designed it!”

“I doubt he worked on it alone, there’s a whole team you forgot to credit.”

“My friend recently was hired into his company, and he has a lot more input than you think into their projects, and Carmesí is picking up steam nowadays. I should have considered taking their offer when they asked...”

Carmesí was a ready-to-wear line launched as its own standalone company, headed by Baekho and his partner Fu Longfei that began the summer before. Ren had watched their debut and even he could see their potential, their popularity was gradually growing and reaching more high-end shops.

They walked to her car and he took the passenger seat as she took the driver’s seat and put in the keys. “You don’t have to leave so soon if you don’t want to, it’s safe to stay here in the meantime.” She stepped a little closer, “What do you know about him?”

“Nothing that everyone else doesn’t know… why?” Ren eyed suspiciously.

“Well…” She smiled, “From what I hear from my friend who works at his company that he’s not a bad person, has a nice home.”

“Are you interested in him? Aren’t you married?”

She laughed, “No, no, not for me. For my sister, I was hoping that they might hit it off.”

“Maybe you should reconsider.”

His manager eyed him and sighed, “I guess that’s true, he’s surrounded by models and heiresses at every turn, I doubt even my sister could hold a candle to that.”

“You’re surrounded by them too, you didn’t marry any of them.”

“Well, I’m immune, he’s probably shallow, half the people in this business are for good reason. You should be careful too around him, he might start pursuing you once he’s tired of his entourage.”

In the end, her words are all playful and teasing, and he knows she’s merely saying it for fun.

She exhaled as the car took off, “I just wish he’d give my sister a chance.”

Ren felt amused by her words and looked out the window. He quietly replied, “If you know what kind of person he really was, you wouldn’t be saying that.”

-

Baekho walked once the elevator opened. His footsteps echoed loudly on the marble floor, past the assistants and taken outfits and fabrics coming from either side. It didn’t matter the day, they always appeared to be in a rush.

Although the rest of the office space was spacious and brightly lit, once he reached the office at the end, he opened it to reveal a stuffy and cramped room with only one small lamp . Longfei didn’t turn around, drawing on the large pad of paper.

Baekho stood in the few uncluttered spots and his eyes remained on the closed blind window. At last Longfei finished and turned around with a smile, “Welcome back. If you’re still feeling jetlagged, feel free to drink some wine.”

Baekho opened the small fridge and took out a bottle, there were a few cleaned glasses left standing on top as he poured himself a glass. “I thought you’d at least clean up this room a bit once we’ve done well, but it’s getting worst.”

Longfei laughed and looked a little smug, “We are doing rather well, aren’t we?” He sighed as he turned around in his chair, “I never would’ve believed it when you accepted my work. Look where we are now, I remember you said this name will be a household name within a year’s time, and you were right.”

“Where’s that nervous man who doubted me?”

Longfei waved it off and asked. “How was she? Did she agree?”

“She agreed to be our manufacturer, I gave her one design and the sample she showed me was exactly as I pictured it.”

Longfei turned around and peered the unlit room, he then moved his lamp and flashed the light towards Baekho, revealing the black watch on his wrist.

“Nicely done. Then you’re going to proceed with the watch series?”

“It’ll debut by next summer.” Baekho stated, leaving little room for doubt despite the time constraint.

“Although you’ve given enough input into my work, that I’m grateful for,” he defended hastily, “but can you really draw?”

“Like you, when an image comes to mind, I can picture it perfectly.”

Longfei smiled, “I believe you then,” he returned to work when a thought hits him.

“This is quite a bit you’re doing,” Baekho noted at the stacks he had.

Longfei lifted the pages and looked beneath his desk, “I need to finish soon, the lunar festival’s arriving soon and I want to make sure I feel satisfied with my work before I leave to see my family. Ah!” He snapped his fingers and went towards the desk, he found the exact magazine he needed and pulled it out, leading the stack to fall wayward onto the floor.

Longfei was inspired by people. It’s why he holds so many books of faces, bodies, magazines plastered with both everyday and celebrity faces, designed for the exact person his mind sees.

Baekho helped it picked up, and his eyes landed on one opened magazine.

“Although we’re doing well, there’s some faces there I doubt will ever wear my designs.”

Baekho gave a thin smile, pausing on one particular page. "You're likely right, my friend." He stared at the photo of the ensemble photo, his eyes remained on the man beside the two women. He then returned the last magazine and returned to his wine. He wistfully said,

"Unfortunately, they're exclusive to everyone but me."

Baekho soon left the building and reached for his cell, he walked towards his car within the large garage when he paused. On top of his car sat a man in a black leather jacket and dyed blonde hair, just about to light his cigarette.

“What has my brother done now?” Baekho asked stoically.

“Thankfully, I’m not here for that reason.” Aron hopped off the car, “I found out why Minhyun’s been so uptight lately.” Aron snickered. “His girl’s fooling around behind his back, even his sister can’t control him right.”

Baekho walked to the driver’s side, “You know I don’t care for gossip.”

His smile fell, “You’re never any fun,” Aron bemoaned and opened the car door.

“If you want a ride, toss that out.” Baekho ordered, Aron seethed and stomped his cigarette on the ground.

“Never any fun,” he muttered and entered the car.

-

The camera flashed as the woman had her arms hung on Ren’s shoulders from behind, the two posed and turned their heads accordingly to their photographer’s demands.

Thankfully, despite the constant pressure, Ren was able to handle his work professionally without letting his concerns get to him. Yet the moment the photoshoot ends and Ren stepped off the shoot, his manager could see just how nervous he was as the model gulped down glasses of water.

“What have I done to deserve this?” Ren asked.

“There hasn’t been too much of a ruckus lately,” his manager added gently. “Maybe he’s letting this go, you’ve just got to give it time.”

Ren might’ve been more assured by that, but he saw two more guards have been added to his protection today. His manager patted his back.

“You’re not yourself,” a nearby model noted pitifully, sitting beside Ren as the two already returned to their regular clothes.

‘“I’m fine,” Ren smiled.

She thinned her lips, “There’s going to be a party tonight, LRN just celebrated his first successful show. Do you want to come? It might lift your spirits up.”

Ren thought it over, although he wouldn’t have minded, he wasn’t too convinced he should. His manager then lowered herself beside him.

“It’d probably be better to surround yourself with people than to coop yourself up.”

Ren considered it for a moment and nodded with a forced smile. “Alright,” he agreed to his beaming colleague.

The party did help to lift his spirits a little, although he was careful not to drink anything, preferring to remain alert. And even while surrounded by faces he recognized, he notably stuck close to his manager.

“I don’t mind,” she began, “But I don’t think you’re allowed in the restroom.” She gestured to the sign on the door, and Ren gave an uneasy smile, taking a step back as she entered. He crossed his arms and looked about the crowd in the distance.

He leaned against the opposite wall, sighing as he waited. And amongst the chatter behind him, came a distinct low voice.

“Do you see him?”

“No, I thought he’d be easy to spot, but it’s hard to tell with the lighting.”

“Ask around, I’m sure that Ren guy is here somewhere.”

Ren froze, careful not to make any sudden movements as the men scoured about for him. He glanced behind the pillar and saw an intimidating man look about, Ren turned back around and quickly walked past the wall and down the hallway. He reached for his cell to text his manager the circumstances.

Ren managed to keep an eye on the duo who scoured through most of the party, and Ren cleared his throat as he hid himself in the shadows. He quickly scowled at the sight of his spread out security who were uselessly standing around with their backs turned to the party.

They just about searched everywhere, yet one of them glances towards the women’s bathroom, the last place they hadn’t checked. Ren could feel his face turn white and looked elsewhere for a way out, and scrambled to hurry himself along the hallway as the pair made their way to that hallway.

The red Exit sign took his attention and Ren quickly left through it without a second thought, it led through the hotel’s back hallway and he quickly took another door, and soon he found himself in the large hotel lobby, too empty and without much to hide behind. He quickly bolted through the double doors and tried to hail down a taxi, but none were free. He cringed and looked where else to run to, when he turned around and spotted the pair now within the lobby.

It was a last minute effort, and a hopeless futile one he felt as he ran to the side of the large stairwell and sat down, his hands covering his head.

He saw a shadow by him and he lowered his head.

“Ren?”

Ren cautiously looked up at the voice, and found Baekho was now staring blankly at him with his cell in front of him. Ren placed a finger above his lips and Baekho understood although puzzled.

The pair then walk hurriedly down the steps, and Baekho glimpsed at the stiffed model and the flustered pair that hurried to report to their boss. He recognized their faces, and he then placed the pieces together.

“You can’t stay here.” Baekho said quietly.

“They know where I live, don’t they?”

“Most likely,” Baekho agreed to Ren’s chagrin. “They’ll likely check your friends and family too, they’ll visit all of your usual hangouts.”

“Then where else am I suppose to go?” Ren asked.

“Come with me,” Baekho said with his eyes pulled away from the pair. “I know where they won’t find you.”

Ren hesitated. “But what if they see?”

“They won’t,” Baekho assured.

Ren didn’t know what else to do. First, he was on the run. He shouldn’t have to be on the run, what did he even do to deserve this?

Second and worst, why of all people, it had to be him to come to his rescue?

Still, his options were limited.

“Just...promise you won’t touch me unnecessarily.”

Baekho peered above the man as his figure and shadow blocked the people who ran past from Ren’s presence, and everything about that smile spelled out more distress for Ren.

And when Baekho extended a hand to help him up, Ren was almost reluctant to. Yet what other choice did he have?

Baekho saw his uncertainty and his smile grew, “I promise.”

That just made Ren more suspicious, but the man had to either face death or Baekho, and one was a far easier choice.

And so he took his hand, and sorely made it.

-

Ren didn’t expect such a nice complex, although with the company Baekho now headed, Ren could now see first hand just how successful he had been.

And during the elevator ride up, Ren remained behind Baekho and kept some distance between them. Although Baekho was his savior that night, he was still wary of the man.

He may have looked the part of a successful business man, but there was still more to him. It was something Ren had known about since their first meeting, when his good friend briefly fooled around with a man a few years back. Ren was wary of the man and tried to look after her, and during one of the many parties, the flirtatious man drank way past his fill one night.

“I think you’ve had enough hyung.”

Ren had looked up and saw Baekho standing coolly behind his older brother who clumsily stood up and tried to grab his things that were left all over the table. Ren remained by his friend’s side and helped her to her seat, when he felt someone staring and looked back.

Baekho didn’t avert his eyes though Ren had met his, and Ren was the first to break their eye contact.

At the time, he had many piercings alongside one ear, a black suit with no tie and flashy dyed hair. He may have cleaned up since, but the fact remained that just like the men that were after him, Baekho was also jopok.

Baekho opened the door and the two stepped in, “He won’t look for you here.” Baekho assured as he flicked on the lights. Ren stood a distance away as Baekho walked to his living room and glanced back, “You can sit in the couch, it’s more than comfortable.” He assured kindly.

Ren lowered his head and thanked him, walking towards the couch. They remained in silence for a long while, until Ren broke it first. “I suppose I should tell you why I was hiding in the first place.” After receiving his help without explanation, he felt the need to explain to Baekho at least the circumstances.

“I’ve heard the story,” Baekho corrected as he took the chair beside the couch. “Word travels fast in these parts of the city.” He gave a rueful exhale, “I just didn’t expect you to be involved.”

“I’m not,” Ren countered to Baekho’s puzzlement. He then hastily explained what had happened over the course of the past few weeks.

“So...you weren’t really with her?” Baekho asked, having heard the whole story.

“Yes, I never dated her, I barely even know her.” Ren said in annoyance, crossing his arms at how far he’s been dragged into the situation now, all for a mere lie.

“...I see.”

Ren returned his attention to the other and saw that he was smiling, a little widely for Ren’s liking.

“That’s a relief.” Baekho settled with. “I would’ve questioned your taste if you had.”

“I doubt it’s that you’re worried about.”

“Is there something you’d like to eat?” Baekho asked, steering from the topic as he headed to the kitchen.

Ren declined, “I don’t have much of an appetite.”

“It looks as if you haven’t for a while,” Baekho noted, Ren had looked thinner since he last saw him. “Would you prefer tea?”

Ren blinked and asked, “Coffee?”

“This late at night?”

“Caffeine doesn’t work on me anymore.” Ren added, Baekho merely shook his head and mumbled that he “might have some decaf left” in his kitchen.

Ren reached for his cell and looked back at the texts and missed calls his manager finally was able to return. He called back.

Baekho let the water boil as he heard Ren spoke to his manager, and from the sounds of it, advised him to stay low for a while for his protection. Baekho poured the coffee into the cup and brought it over to the man, whose frustration was too evident.

Ren thanked him and accepted the drink. He lowered his eyes, “She’s putting a stop to all my projects and postponing my walks until this is settled… This has gone too far.”

Ren slowly blew the hot coffee and took the first sip. Baekho waited as Ren considered the taste, and thankfully took a second sip, the coffee to his liking. Baekho walked back to the kitchen.

Ren glanced his way and called out, “How long can he be this upset for?”

“It depends,” Baekho answered back, making his own cup of tea. “A jopok’s grudge can last days, months...even years.”

“Years?” Ren widened his eyes. “I can’t stay cooped up in here for that long!”

“Either way, your best advice is to stay low.” Baekho said as he returned to the living room, he regarded him for a moment, “Do you want to leave?”

Ren thought it over, “It’s not as if I can.”

Baekho drank his tea, “I thought you’d be too proud to stay here with me.”

“If its a means to live, what pride do I have to worry about?” Ren countered, and Baekho smiled.

“I suppose that’s true.”

Ren leaned back and continued drinking his coffee, which gradually calmed him down. Knowing they weren’t going to bust through his door gave him great peace of mind, but as the night waned on, a new concern developed.

Ren stepped out from the bathroom that was inside Baekho’s bedroom, he glanced at the bed and promptly walked out of the bedroom and nearly ran into him. He took a step back.

Ren suspiciously eyed Baekho who smiled back, that didn’t deter them whatsoever.

“We’re not sleeping on the same bed.” Ren uttered before the idea could come across.

Baekho was bemused, “Alright then, I’ll sleep on the couch. You can have the bed.”

“I’ll take the couch instead,” Ren insisted. He moved past the man, sitting down on the couch and laying down on the cushion.

Baekho stuffed his hands into his pockets as he walked towards the couch, his hand planted on the top and he craned over, yet Ren was now sleeping. He couldn’t tell if he was sincerely or not.

Baekho went into his bedroom and soon appeared minutes later with some fresh blankets on hand, placing them gently over Ren. The model didn’t move too much, and Baekho realized he was now truly asleep.

“Sleep well,” he said softly and stood back up. He walked back and turned off the lights, leaving a single small lamp on.

He didn’t return to his room, and instead occupied his chair adjacent to the couch and crossed his arms over as he leaned against it.

He glanced over at Ren and his lips curved just slightly, feeling relieved he was alright, and admittedly happy with the new circumstances.

And in such a good mood, the man falls into a comfortable sleep.

-

When Ren woke up, he sat up almost immediately at the foreign surroundings about him, and gradually the memories from last night return and he remembered why he was there in the first place. He looked across and saw Baekho right across, sleeping soundly on the chair.

Baekho soon opened his eyes and stretched himself in his seat. He sleepily looked where Ren was and saw the model glaring his way, notably pressed.

“Why didn’t you take the bed?”

“I offered that to you.” Baekho answered.

Ren glanced at Baekho’s position, it didn’t look comfortable in the least bit. “I said I’d take the couch…” he reminded guiltily.

Baekho massaged his shoulders and moved his neck accordingly, “If you promise to sleep on the bed, I’ll promise to sleep on the couch. If you sleep anywhere else, I’ll take the chair.” He then faced Ren who resumed his miffed expression, Baekho coyly added. “That is also a promise.”

“You…”

Baekho smiled, and Ren was beginning to find that loathsome. He never thought he’d find someone so stubborn, and he knew he had met his match.

“...You’re a petty man.” Ren grumbled.

Baekho just laughed.