3.

No secrets between us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The vicar looked appropriately doubtfull as Siwon pushed the letter towards him. “As you can see, I was just writing to invite you to the house so we may resolve this situation.” His tone cool as he struggles to stay aloof.

 

The fact that the vicar is here even before the letter is sent out shows how eager the old man was to gather more gossip he and his wife no doubt had already spread all over the village while Kyuhyun was still making his way to the manor.

 

The vicar managed to look sympathetic and scandalous all at the same time as he reminds the duke of his duties while expressing his condolence for being saddled with such unfortunate circumstances.

 

Siwon would love to call him a liar but instead he chose to respond mildly. “Kyuhyun and I have reached an agreement.”

 

“Yes, of course. Your late mother would have been delighted.”

 

“Really? Did she shove the poor boy towards ruin and you and your wife look the other way while she’s doing that?”

 

“I don’t think –“ The vicar starts to protest.

 

“You never do! That’s the problem!” Siwon starts to rage again, losing control of his emotions. “That’s why you sent the boy along yesterday without hesitating a moment that I may not be home? What if it was Jumyuk that was here to receive? Have you forgotten what my brother’s name is associated with? Were you ready to throw Kyuhyun at his mercy then if I wasn’t here to prevent it?”

 

The old man smirked. “But it so happens that you are.”

 

Siwon glared at the taunting man. “Thank god I am.” He muttered.

 

“We are fortunate then, to have only one situation to save.” The vicar replied. “We need to act fast then!”

 

Siwon glared again but the fight is seeping out of his system now. He knows when he is trapped. “Fast? Today then!” Siwon snapped.

 

“The wedding license –“

 

“Don’t you have it? You had a month to plan this, did you not forge my signature on the application and have it all ready by now?” Siwon jeered cruelly.

 

“That would be most improper-“

 

“If you’ve cared for impropriety, you would have not sent Kyuhyun here yesterday.” Siwon growled angrily. “When I get the licence, I’ll send it along to you and you can fill in any dates you wish and sign the bloody thing. But this morning you will see preside over the ceremony!”

 

“That’s hardly legal!” The vicar protested.

 

“Not legal but moral. If you can trap me into taking Kyuhyun, then don’t waste your breath telling me my behaviour is improper. Open your prayer book, finish the ceremony then leave us in peace.” Siwon barked. “Go to the chapel now and prepare yourself. Kyuhyun and I will be there shortly.”

 

Watching the old man mutter grumpily as he made his way, Siwon is almost sure that a generous gratuity after the ceremony will appease the vicar. Siwon’s temper simmered down a little as his mind settles momentarily knowing that he had somehow forcefully exonerated Kyuhyun of any blame for the unusual and scandalous way he had appeared on his doorstep. Kyuhyun had hoped to make a match, but there is no evidence that he had tried to trap the duke using such extreme measures. There is no reason to believe that Kyuhyun was anything other than what he appeared to be.

 

Except that he could be dishonoured before he arrived. The letters from the mysterious Victoria had said otherwise. They said Kyuhyun is innocent. But of course, they would. No sane person would send a letter claiming that the boy is a wild horse.

 

Siwon struggled with his suspicions trying to oust them from his mind. He is going to soon be bound to the boy by oath and honour regardless of the condition of his reputation.

 

But not by law, Siwon thought slyly. Until his name is on the licence he is not tying a knot that he cannot undo should he need to. He would watch the boy and find out for himself the truth before it is too late. And while Kyuhyun is in his home, Siwon resolves to protect him. He rang for the butler and demanded for Jumyuk to come to him.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun waited patiently as the vicar’s wife and Henry tries to dress him. They are both studying the faded dinner jacket disapprovingly.

 

“It’s black…erm…..dark gray.” The vicar’s wife remarked with obvious disappointment.

 

“It felt like the correct choice at the time of packing.” Kyuhyun excused himself hastily.

 

“My dear boy, common sense is good to have but it is your wedding day. Do you not have anything else more appropriate? It appears more suited for-“

 

“For mourning?” Kyuhyun supplied a little too helpfully. ‘Well yes, my own dear father….”

 

Is alive and well. What they don't know won’t hurt them, Kyuhyun concludes efficiently. It is the most convenient excuse to explain the state of his possessions so far. In actual fact, the jacket was his father’s 20 years before when the family was still affluent enough to dress for dinner.

 

“Oh, you poor dear!” The vicar’s wife exclaimed in sympathy. “But you’re out of mourning now?”

 

“Y-yes, but I have little time to get new things.” Kyuhyun continues to lie smoothly. Or the money. He thought wryly.

 

“Well, now that the duke will be looking after you, I’m sure that things will be looking up for you.” She replied with a blissful smile. “This will do for now.”

 

Just when Kyuhyun thought he could release the breath he was holding on for so long, the nosy woman turned to him curiously. “Before your father died….did he?’

 

“Yes?” Kyuhyun asks in confusion.

 

“There are certain things every young person must know. Certain facts that will make the first night less of a….a shock.”

 

Kyuhyun’s large eyes grew larger when he realised what she was implying. Biting his lip thoughtfully, he wonders if it is wise to reveal how much he actually knows about the subject. Victoria had not held back on this area of his education.

 

“Thank you for your concern.” He mutters abashedly.

 

“Are you aware of…”

 

“Yes,” he answered a little too quickly. “I helped….nursing…charity work.” Hopefully that will explain his knowledge.

 

“Then you have seen…”The vicar’s wife suddenly became nervous.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Good. Well, not good, really. But at least you will not be surprised.” She rushed on. “And you fit where erm…..and your husband will plant a seed and that is where babies come from. Do you understand?”

 

Victoria had made it clear enough. He doubted the current version he is given is of any real use for the uninitiated. “I….”

 

“Nevermind.” The woman continued in a fluster. “I am confident that the duke knows well enough how to proceed. You must trust him in all things. However, the duke….is …a very….” Words failed her again. “-vigourous man.”

 

“Vigourous?!”

 

“In his prime. Robust. And the men in his family are rumoured to have very healthy appetites. Too healthy, some will say.” She sniffed in disapproval.

 

Kyuhyun hoped he looked appropriately confused. He certainly did not have to feign the blush coloring his cheeks.

 

“And the baby His Grace Ryeowook was delivering when he died was exceptionally large. A difficult birth. The duke will no doubt ask for a heir, but if his demands are excessive after the birth of the first child…many would claim a bodily aliment. A small lie is not a major sin when you need an occasional night of peace.”

 

@

 

Kyuhyun managed a relieved smile when Jumyuk appeared by his side as he awaits his groom. Jumyuk came bearing a small bouquet for him and wisely refrained from remarking on the condition of his wedding garb which in bright daylight looked sadder than it had in the weak candlelight of his home as he was packing.

 

“Don’t look so glum, although a talk with the vicar’s wife generally will have that effect on anyone.” Jumyuk teased. “She informed you of your wifely duties?”

 

Kyuhyun blushed at the other’s boldness. “In detail. And then she quizzed me about my parents, about the last 24 hours here. And she assured me that if I ever have a need to flee from here they will take me in without question.”

 

Jumyuk burst into laughter. “Of course they would! In exchange for more scandals!”

 

The vicar and his wife shot him disapproving looks. Jumyuk leaned closer. “I suggest that we give them a run for their money?”

 

“What?”

 

“You could burst into tears at the altar and plead for their rescue, or fall weeping into my arms and let me carry you away from this place, as my brother flies into a horrid rage. Hmm…I would be delighted to oblige.”

 

“And what will that do for my reputation?”

 

“It would be a glorious sight! To be seduced away from your wedding by the groom’s roguishly handsome younger brother!” Jumyuk continues to tease while Kyuhyun glared at him. “Hmm…I should stop now. I can see I’m upsetting you.”

 

“What are you still doing here?” Siwon’s voice barked from behind dripping with contempt.

 

“How could I miss my dear brother’s wedding?’ Jumyuk sneers rather obnoxiously.

 

“You could miss it because I ordered you to.” Siwon retorts with a growl. “I believe I told you to leave these grounds this morning.”

 

“There must be a miscommunication somewhere because I was sure you meant after the wedding. I harbour no illusion that you will want me to be your best man but surely someone must give the bride away.”

 

Kyuhyun frowned. He was pretty sure he has been given away by now.

 

“Is that why I find Kyuhyun’s rooms empty when I went to fetch him just now?”

 

“It’s bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding.” Jumyuk teased playfully.

 

Siwon growled as he leaned forward towards his still smirking brother. Kyuhyun slides in between both men hurriedly. “Please, my Lord.” Kyuhyun intercedes. “Won't you let your brother stay for just one more hour for my sake?”

 

“If you wish.” Siwon snapped then he pointed down the aisle towards the altar and mutter to his brother. “If you insist on being here despite my instructions, then make yourself useful. Walk him to the altar so we can start.”

 

Jumyuk offers his arm to Kyuhyun and they set off on a leisurely walk to the front of the chapel and Siwon fell in step behind them. Kyuhyun could feel the thick cloud of irritation bellowing behind him as Siwon reached out to prod his brother to speed up.

 

“Are you in a rush, dear brother?’ Jumyuk taunted. “I can understand why, of course, with such a lovely bride awaiting you. But we must respect tradition and refrain from racing up the aisle!”

 

“Just walk.” Siwon spat venomously and Kyuhyun finds himself too afraid to turn and face him.

 

They reached the altar and the vicar begins the ceremony. The process was awkwardly silent as the vicar drones on. Kyuhyun kept his head down, his eyes on Siwon’s hand gripping his own tighter and tighter as time goes on. Without realising, Siwon had pulled him closer to him as he leaned against the duke’s arm which happens to feel solid as a marble pillar. Kyuhyun couldn’t help thinking that is some sort of a sign that Siwon will be guarding and protecting him as he faced his fears.

 

The vicar led them through the vows and the duke answered a firm “I do.”, maintaining his tight grip of his young bride’s hand thus inspiring Kyuhyun to do the same without anymore hesitation.

 

Then the vicar asked for the ring, and a look of confusion came over Siwon’s face as he looked at Kyuhyun. That tiny bit of detail was obviously forgotten in their haste. Jumyuk was at the side chuckling with amusement. Siwon slips the signet ring from his own finger and hand it to the vicar to bless before kissing it and slipping it on Kyuhyun’s finger.

 

Siwon folded the boy’s fingers into a loose fist to keep the ring from slipping off and in that instant, Kyuhyun felt that he had trapped Siwon’s kiss in his palm and the warmth from it seeped through her.

 

The vicar concludes the ceremony and Kyuhyun clung onto the kiss in her hand. Victoria had been correct all along, it was going to be all right. Siwon might be gruffy but there is tenderness in the way he said his vows that made him believable, and supported him when he was afraid, and given him his ring.

 

Then it was over, and Kyuhyun found his hand firmly trapped in the crook of his husband’s arm as they turned to accept congratulations.

 

Siwon accepted Jumyuk’s hand stiffly. “Good luck, Siwon. Once again you have more good fortune than you deserve.” He turned to the new wife. “ Kyuhyun, my dear brother-in-law. I must be going now as my brother wished. If you ever need me, the village innkeeper shall know where to find me. And now, let me be the first to kiss the bride!”

 

Before Siwon could react, Kyuhyun finds Jumyuk’s lips pressed chastely against his and he smiled, despite himself, at the light-heartedness of the situation. His husband stood beside him, a storm gathering in his hard eyes.

 

“Time you leave.” Siwon remarked stiffly then turned to his new wife. “And you, you must learn to choose whom you kiss.” Kyuhyun shrunk away from the massive loom of his husband but Siwon pulled him close harshly, staring into his eyes and paralysing him with anticipation.

 

Then Siwon’s mouth covered his, and his hand went to the boy’s nape, his hair and sending lovely shivers down his spine. And despite himself, Kyuhyun relaxed and lean in, running his hands under the duke’s lapels to feel the solidness beneath, letting his body support him as the duke’s other hand found its way to his waist.

 

Kyuhyun gasped when he realised that unchaste ideas are presently invading his mind and Siwon took the opportunity to dip his tongue through his opened lips, his pink muscle, ing, stimulating…a warm rush of blood shudder through the young earl.

 

Kyuhyun fought to regain control of his body. What would the duke think if he knew that his new wife is not as innocent as he assumed to be? Pulling away, Kyuhyun stood back staring at his grinning husband with one of his thick brow raised in surprise. Then Siwon turned and strode away.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun’s body shook with a mish-mash of leftover passion and newfound panic. How dare the duke seduce him like that in front of strangers? And to think he responded eagerly! If Siwon had been testing him, Kyuhyun is sure he had confirmed for the duke what every new husband would fear. His empty stomach lurched and he clasped a hand over his mouth in case he becomes sick.

 

Meanwhile, Siwon is following after Jumyuk closely to make sure he leaves for real.

 

Kyuhyun turned to the pair and forced a smile for them. He thanked them with equal amounts of false cheer too. Then the vicar’s wife speaks up. “Your Grace, our worries are not completely dispelled.”

 

Kyuhyun turned expecting to see Siwon behind him before realising a moment later that they are addressing him by his new title.

 

“I’m sure now that we are married, everything will fall into place.” Kyuhyun replied with a note of finality hoping that they will catch the drift and leave.

 

But this pair isn’t that easily dismissed. “Maybe we can speak to his Lordship once more over the wedding breakfast to make sure he has no more need of our services.” The vicar spoke up.

 

That’s when Kyuhyun realised his first household crisis. He wonders if anyone on the staff thought to prepare a celebratory meal for the guests. Siwon certainly did not look like he will be celebrating anything. Kyuhyun decides that he will need to rustle up some cake and champagne or be forever plagued with his guests who are showing no signs of leaving till they have the meal.

 

“Let us go back to the house and see what the servants are preparing.” Kyuhyun suggests weakly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter