Games

Shame

A/N: During a seventeen hour car ride where I went back and forth between consciousness, waking up about every two hours to hear a different song on shuffle from my ipod, I had a dream in between, and I've decided to tell it to you all.

I know this story started out as a one-shot Sungmin centered drabble, but I've decided to turn it into a one-shot center for when I feel like writing about life and bodies. Hm, that may sound a bit odd. How do I describe it? Body love? Loving your body? Yeah, that's what I mean. Mini one-shots starring idols about loving their body, and maybe the message will get to the readers as well.

Love your body, you guys!

(Ok but anyway, I've decided to alter somebody's weight for the purpose of the story, and also because it was in the dream so I'm sticking to it. Also, keep in mind that I've only seen the first episode of which the pair in this story are on, oddly enough. I've actually never seen any episodes with the other couples (besides one) mentioned. I need to start watching the damn show, jeez.)


Yagi Arisa had starred in a global edition of a South Korean television show back in 2014. Her partner was Kim Kibum, more commonly known as, Key of SHINee. Their "marriage", if one could truly call it that, had been filled with cute mistakes and lovely happenings, all of which made them seem like an adorable couple. Their "divorce" was in the early fall, but what the scripts, producers, and fans couldn't end, was the fact that Arisa and Kibum had actually formed feelings for each other. Behind the stage of "dates" and "wedding outings", they let their real personalities flow free, and that was the start of a secret attraction and love that was never quite acted upon. She flew back to Japan, he went back to his normal schedule (practice, perform, practice, perform, and maybe an hour or two of sleep and eat).

Over the years, Arisa had been on the brink of an eating disorder, always teetering on the edge between healthy and sickly. It all came to here one day, however, when she remembered reading an article about Kibum telling a fan to cease her self harm. Arisa saw what she was doing to herself as a form of self harm, and she called him instantly the next day to tell him that his words helped her. They remained in contact over the next few years, and Arisa began an "era of confidence", or so she called it. This meant ignoring her managers and fans and agency, and eating whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. No restrictions, no diets, just happiness and confidence given to her by one of her best friends.

Of course, as a result, Arisa gained weight. Her face became ever so slightly more round and puffy, her waist grew wider and more squishy, and her upper arms and thighs moved with her when she walked. She wasn't obese, just joyfully chubby. Her grandmother loved pinching her newly rounded cheeks, and she'd giggle every time. Fans weren't too kind, as foreseen, and the lash of hatred and disappointment that she received was to be expected from an audience who favors a certain shape, even if her body size matched that of some of her fans'.

In the year 2018, "We Got Married" bombed and was canceled, the low ratings soaring to an embarrassing number. In the year 2020, it was revived for a short season with a special theme: return. Arisa got the call from her manager one spring day that they were going to be reuniting all of the previous couples from the show that launched her into the public eye of South Korea. She instantly accepted, knowing that it would her chance to finally see Kibum in person, something the two hadn't been able to do in six years on account of their busy days.

None of the couples were given a chance to actually reunite in private, with real hugs and congrats and "how have you been's?" Arisa nervously adjusted the ruffled red skirt that shaped her hips and legs, stopping just above her knees to show white milky legs. She'd been instructed to wear something reminiscent of the first meeting with her "husband", so her stylist had also pushed her into a red silk top with lacy arms that ended at her wrists, and even a red flower pin that was stuck into a perfectly arranged ponytail that fell in long curves and waves. The cameras and microphones were staring at her obnoxiously, and she attempted to look anywhere but at them as the black car she was seated in zoomed along the streets. She glanced at her script, which the "We Got Married" team had always made sure to have a perfect balance of planning and improv.

"All "We Got Married: Global Edition" couples will report to the second story room AB. You will be participating first in a fun event of little sports, which will later be aired after your first meeting. Act as if you know your spouse well, and like you've already been reunited."

Arisa huffed in annoyance as she looked past her knees and at the red pumps locked around her ankles that her stylist had insisted she wear. I wish they would've read the script beforehand. Little sports? Anything sports should never be crossed with heels, but what should I expect when that's all they ever put me in?

The camera crew and producers pointed Arisa to a first story room AF in the large building where the episode was to take place. Many rooms had been set up as a romantic restaurant, a fun cafe, and some had even recreated bedrooms where couples had once slept. It was all like taking a step into the past. Arisa shyly opened the door, not surprised to be the last one to arrive as her driver had gotten lost. She saw Lee Honki and Fujii Mina first, both on opposite sides of the room with solemn expressions. Did I miss something? Then she saw Cho Kyuhyun and Lou Yixiao, her awkwardly laughing as he jokingly tried to flirt with her in Chinese. Weren't those two on the Chinese edition? I guess they've lumped us all together, huh? As long as it wasn't two Koreans. Hyomin and Fu Xinbo were next, they seemed to be talking, catching up, probably being the most "normal". Arisa couldn't control her laughter when the sight of Kim Heechul and Puff Kuo being silly in a corner of the room caught her attention. She saw them feeding each other odd combinations from the snack table, bursting into fits of grins and guffaws. Ok Taecyeon and Gui Gui were huddled together, watching videos on his phone on the plush couch, not speaking a word. But, where's... She didn't even need to ask herself where he was when he was already running up to wrap his warm, thin arms, around her shoulders. He wanted to kiss her, and he wanted to do so badly, right then and there. She wanted to stand on her toes and kiss him as well, rubbing her cheek against his in infatuation and pure euphoria. They couldn't, though, not in front of everyone.

Producers and cameras were rushing in almost instantly after, shuffling every couple out into the hallway so they could make their grand entrance for the show. As they walked, side by side, Kibum laced his fingers with her's, quickly leaning down to whisper "you look beautiful" in her ear. She smiled bashfully and mumbled, "I could say the same about you" under her breath, to which Kibum chuckled.

What happened next was very much out of Arisa's comfort zone, as the staff had chosen to rearrange the set of the "little sports". This meant playing outside in a nearby park, in front of awaiting fans and onlookers. Arisa felt herself shrink into Kibum's side, and to her surprise he anxiously pulled her against his waist, his fingers digging into her shoulder after he'd wrapped his arm around her. What should he be nervous about? I'm out of shape, but he's the fit one here. And that's when Arisa was hit with a pang of doubt. What if my appearance turns him away? He likes skinny, pretty girls, right? I'm not that, no, not anymore. What if any chemistry we had has vanished because of my weight? And for a short time, the "era of confidence" ended abruptly for Arisa.

Arisa had no time to ask Kibum what he feels, something blunt she'd always been fond of, as the couples were quickly ushered into their respective relay positions. There was no time to complain about how childish this all seemed, so next thing Arisa knew, she was running as fast as she could against the other "wives". The wind against her forehead seemed to do nothing for the cold sweat that broke out, and the breath in her lungs seemed to drain almost instantly. She knew her running probably seemed awkward and out of pace, and she was envious of the other girls who could run effortlessly in heels. Kibum stood by in the distance, his hands clasped together tightly as he prayed and wished for her to do well. He just wanted her to be happy, and he knew that at the moment she was anything but. He simply wanted her to do well enough in her own standards, and he was happily awaiting at the finish line for the moment when he could pick her up, spin her around, and tell her she did well. Arisa was beyond frustrated at that point though, being way too far in last and openly humiliated. How the...? Then it happened. One foot forward, one caught in the dirt, one wrapped in long grass, one stumble too much, too far, and she was too heavy to bounce back. She fell in the dirt, her legs bruised, cut, and stained with mud. Her hands were firmly burrowed in the soft soil, and she rested on her hands and knees in a desperate effort to catch her breath. It would've been a funny thing to her, whoops there she tumbles, if there hadn't been strangers watching.

The world went deaf for a moment, the sounds of cheers and laughs dying with her fall. The wives kept running, worry etched on their faces however, yet they never turned back to help her up. Kibum was being held back by the other husbands and producers, saying that it happened and it's all just a game, and that "look, she's getting up, so she's fine". It wasn't just a game when the first comment was pelted.

"Fatty!"

Arisa felt the need to crash back down after she'd stood up and brushed the earth off her knees and palms. W-what?

"Fat pig!"

"Chubs!"

"Tubby!"

"Pork-chop!"

So it's true, I really am just a pig. Can I descend into silence and darkness now? I don't wanna deal with this.

The onlookers and spiteful fans hurled their cruelty at Arisa with all their might. She froze as she stood, back straight, to face the crowd of horror beyond. Her eyes were wide and bulging, and her jaw was dropped. At that point, the other wives had halted as well, and the cameras were shut off, with only one remaining on in a silent fight to capture this inhumanity to show the world. Kibum sprinted out of reach, running across the field to protect his beloved Arisa. When she saw him running, she held up a shaky hand.

"Stop!" She yelled at the top of her lungs, and everyone went silent. Kibum froze himself, face frantic and confused. She heavily panted, her chest rising with aches, causing her voice to crack. The crowd waited for her next words. "G-go. Kibum, go. I-I'm not worth it."

Kibum faced the crowd then, standing proudly and out of breath himself as he pointed to Arisa. "Do you see that woman? Hm? Do you see her? That's my wife, and she's so damn beautiful." His voice seemed to cry as Arisa's tears broke out upon hearing his words addressed to the world. "She's more gorgeous than a sky during the sun's falling. I call her my red rose, because look at her, all dressed in crimson and so ing beautiful. A rose doesn't hold a candle to her though! She's so, so marvelous. She deserves so much better. She doesn't deserve this bull! She's kinder than anything, so helpful and funny and nice and sweet... so sweet... I can't believe I get to call her mine."

Kibum trotted up to Arisa and took her hand. He noted her hand was soft and plush, like the pillows he'd hug at night to comfort himself when loneliness took over. He grabbed the small mic pinned to his collared shirt and tossed it into the grass, and Arisa did the same with a small giggle. She beamed up at him, smiling as wide as she possibly could. Kibum's smile didn't even get to finish before he leaned down and kissed her red lips. A gasp spread across the crowd, snaps of pictures and flashes following. He glared at the crowd, and proudly cried out,

"This is my wife, my real one, who I'm gonna marry one day, and she's so ing pretty. This isn't a game. It's not acting. I'm done. I left my group because I am done with pretending, and I am leaving the facade you've seen on tv. I love this woman, and her weight is not enough to turn me away. In fact, I really think she looks amazing no matter what. This is really me, and this is the woman I've waited six years to kiss with all my heart, no matter how either of us appear."

And he kissed her again.