Chapter 5: A Learning Day

Hello Baby: VIXX Edition!

 

Hongbin sat impatiently in the furthest back seat of the company van. He, along with the rest of VIXX, were getting ready to head off to the twins' house. But for reasons he didn't like, the manager and film crew were being slow and taking their time. N crawled into the front passenger seat, muttering in distaste about something. Hongbin tried to lighten the mood for his hyung’s sake.

 

“We get to see the babies soon,” he pointed out.

 

N stiffened in his seat before turning around to face Hongbin. He wore a somewhat forced smile as he added, “Yeah...we also get to see the twins’ parents, too.”

 

Hongbin's heart was confused on how to respond to N's words—while he was happy and looked forward to seeing Suji and Jihoo's mother...he wasn't all too thrilled to meet their father again. He seemed really cocky, Hongbin thought with a grimace. Hongbin recalled VIXX’s brief meeting with the twins' father during the last bit of filming the other night. His heart twinged with a bit of jealousy the more he thought of the babies' birth father.

 

Eventually, all of VIXX joined N and Hongbin and loaded into the van. Ken, the driver, was fiddling with a GPS while N talked with VIXX's manager through the passenger seat window as he stood outside the van. N then turned to explain to the others that there was a camera placed in the vehicle to record their ride to the twins' home.

 

As the trip began, Hongbin rested his chin on his propped up arm. He stared silently out the side window, lost in thought. Beside him, Hongbin realized that Hyuk also seemed lost in thought. The group's mankae was usually smiley and laughing for some reason or another, but today he seemed more serious; Hyuk wasn't smiling, and he was staring at one of Ken’s iPads. Curious, Hongbin peered at the screen to see a picture that Hyuk had taken on one of the days of filming: it was him and Jihoo.

 

"When did you take that?" Hongbin asked Hyuk, startling the maknae.

 

"Ken hyung took it for me," Hyuk said. "It was the first day we filmed, and we were on those teams..."

 

"Oh yeah," Hongbin remembered. Hongbin stared at the picture on Ken's iPad. "He's a cute little kid, isn't he?"

 

"He's a bit like Leo hyung: quiet," Hyuk chuckled. Hongbin laughed a bit in agreement, but instantly shut up when the oldest member in question turned in his seat in the middle of the van to look at Hyuk and Hongbin.

 

"What is it hyung?" Hyuk asked, feigning ignorance. After a silent staring contest with Leo, Hyuk giggled nervously and ducked his head. Hongbin cracked a smile as Leo seemed to roll his eyes.

 

When VIXX finally arrived at the twins' house, Hongbin could feel an unsettling atmosphere cloud them. He looked to his unusually quiet leader N hyung and Ken hyung—who also seemed a lot quieter than was normal—and could only imagine what the two were thinking. They're probably thinking about Miss Song... Hongbin thought. After days of filming and interacting with the babies for Hello Baby, Hongbin grew to like the mothers that stayed at the filming site to watch over their kids. Kangin's mother was a nice woman, though there were times she had to be a little strict when Kangin wouldn't listen.

 

But there was something special about the twins' mother. She was young, and pretty. She was kind to the kids, and it was obvious that they loved her as much as she loved them. For some reason, VIXX felt close with the twins' mother. Is it because she's Hyuk's age? Is it because she isn't married, even though she and the twins' birth father live with each other?

 

Hongbin's thoughts turned dark at the thought of Suji and Jihoo's real father. Why wouldn't he want to be married to the mother of his children? But Hongbin wasn't allowed any time to have this thought fester.

 

As VIXX entered the house, there were cameras already rolling and filming the twins, who were busy playing with Kangin. Kangin's mother sat close by, chatting quietly with Emma Song. Hongbin's heart fluttered, and he was momentarily confused by the action. But he didn't have time to dwell on it when one of the PAs came up to greet Hongbin and the rest of VIXX.

 

The young PA handed each member a pair of swim trunks. "We had your manager prepare your swimsuits; the Song family has a swimming pool in their backyard," the PA explained.

 

"They have a pool?!" N squawked loudly in surprise.

 

"Really?" Ravi asked, bobbing his head here and there in search of the house's backyard.

 

"Yes, and Song-ssi agreed to let us use it for today's shooting," the PA said. Hongbin eyed the young woman the PA referred to; little Jihoo had just wandered over to her with a plastic toy car. Hongbin watched as Emma smiled and pointed to another figure on the other side her, and Hongbin noted the presence of the twins' father.

 

"So we're going to swim with the babies today?" Hyuk asked. The PA nodded, and VIXX was somewhat excited at the idea. But Hongbin was more focused on the twins and their father. Little Jihoo bounced up to his father and handed the young man the toy car. He is a nice dad, I guess... Hongbin grudgingly thought as the young man acted in awe of whatever his son wanted to show him.

 

"The pool isn't too deep, is it?" Ken asked worriedly.

 

"No, the lowest area of the pool is on one end, at a little over 1.5 meters*..."

 

Hongbin didn't bother to listen to the rest of the PA's conversation—he was more interested in the little kids as they trotted around in a childlike game they just made up. As he watched them, he felt eyes on him. As he looked to the source of the stare, he was somewhat surprised to find the twins’ father staring at Hongbin and the rest of VIXX. The father’s demeanor seemed to toughen as he and Hongbin made eye contact, and Hongbin stiffened in confusion and anger at this change in the other man.

 

What the heck? Hongbin wondered.

 

He continued to watch as the twins’ father suddenly turned his attention to Emma, who was tugging on his shirt. She held out her phone, and he brightened up, nodding childishly. Hongbin watched curiously as the couple smiled at the phone for a moment, and the young man laughed.

 

“Hongbin, come on, we’re going to get changed,” Ravi announced, snapping Hongbin’s attention away from the twins’ parents.


 

---

 

Emma had been nervously watching VIXX as they entered her home. Kangin’s mother had been a bit of a helpful distraction, until Emma noticed Youngwoo tense up beside her. She glanced to him in surprise, seeing him act so territorial.

 

Why is he behaving like this? Emma wondered, borderline frantic with wanting Youngwoo to stop. OH! She tore her phone out of her pocket and tugged on Youngwoo’s shirt.

 

His attention was on her immediately, and he smiled like his usual self when she asked, “Should I change my screensaver now?”

 

Emma tried not to laugh when Youngwoo nodded quickly. I see where the twins get it from… Emma thought with a smile.

 

As she and Youngwoo took selcas together, Emma watched out of the corner of her eye as the members of VIXX were led by one of the PA’s to either the bathrooms or Youngwoo’s room.

 

“Oh, you two look adorable together,” Kangin’s mother said sweetly. Emma froze, while Youngwoo laughed with a bright smile.

 

“You think so?” Youngwoo asked.

 

“Yes...it’s a shame you two aren’t together though,” Gayun continued bluntly.

 

“Eh?” Youngwoo asked, stunned.

 

“Well, Emma-ssi said you two aren’t married,” Gayun continued.

 

“Married?" Youngwoo laughed in confusion.

 

Gayun sighed somewhat sadly, her eyes sympathetic. “It must be hard for the both of you...you’re both so young…”

 

"Kangin-umma...I don't understand what you mean." Emma was surprised by the genuine seriousness of her best friend's tone.

 

"Well...i-it's just that...you two are the parents of such sweet children, but you're both so young..."

 

"Oh!" Youngwoo exclaimed, understanding. He smiled then and waved off her worries with a hand as he said, "No no no, Kangin-umma, Emma isn't really the twins' birth mother. I made her a legal guardian, because she's my closest friend, but that's it..."

 

Emma watched the exchange, and Gayun's worried expression changed to one of shock. "So..." Gayun looked from Youngwoo to Emma. "You're not really the twins' birth mother?"

 

"No," Emma said, shaking her head. "I'm just a legal guardian, but the kids like to call me Umma, since it sounds like my name, Emma. I'm so sorry if I confused you, Kangin-umma..."

 

The older woman laughed then, and Emma could hear her relief in every breath. Emma felt lighter now, somehow. Is it because Youngwoo helped clear up a misunderstanding? Emma thought.

 

"Jihoo-appa...I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm curious about the twins," Gayun continued.

 

"I'm sure you must be," Youngwoo agreed. He placed a hand on Emma's shoulder and said to her, "Go ahead and get the kids in their swimsuits, okay?"

 

"Yeah," Emma agreed. "If you want, Kangin-umma, I can help Kangin too."

 

"Oh would you?" Gayun asked sweetly. Emma nodded with a smile, knowing that the older woman wanted her questions for Youngwoo answered.

 

Once she had gotten permission to help Kangin, Emma rounded up the three toddlers and told them she would help them get into their swimsuits. Suji squealed excitedly, eager to play in the pool; even Jihoo seemed a bit more wound up than normal.

 

Emma led Kangin by the hand as she followed the twins to their room. "Kangin, your umma didn't know to bring a pair of swim trunks for you, so Jihoo will let you borrow a pair," Emma explained to him. He nodded with a bright smile and looked to Jihoo.

 

"Thank you, Jihoo-yah!" Kangin said.

 

"Yeah," Jihoo smiled back.

 

As Emma began to help the kids slip out of their play clothes and into their swimsuits, there was a knock on the door. "Yes?" Emma called, just as she helped pull a pair of waterproof diapers onto Kangin.

 

She was a bit startled to see VIXX's Hongbin standing in the doorway. He had on a loose sleeveless tank top, and a pair of swim shorts on. He smiled awkwardly at first. "Um...I was told to look for you," he stated. "The film crew wants to know where to set up around the pool, and where sun will shine the best..."

 

"Oh, sure," Emma agreed. "Let me just get these kids ready to swim."

 

"Oh I can do that," Hongbin said quickly. "They were really frustrated, since it's a bit cloudy right now..."

 

"Are you sure?" Emma asked. Suji jumped up and down in enthusiasm, holding up her two-piece pink and blue swimsuit to Hongbin.

 

"Bean appa can help!" Suji cheered. Emma smiled and let out a little sigh.

 

"Alright baby girl," Emma agreed. She stood and explained to Hongbin that she put on their waterproof diapers at least, so all he had to do was wrestle them into their swimsuits.

 

"Wrestle?" Hongbin gaped.

 

"Yeah, in case you didn't know, Suji’s very ticklish...and so is Jihoo."

 

"No I'm not!" Suji growled, stamping her foot. This action only made Emma laugh and Hongbin smile.

 

"I'll be back, babies!" Emma said. Then, she said, "Thanks for the help."

 

Hongbin nodded quickly, and turned to the toddlers all holding their swimsuits. He gestured for them to sit around him as he helped them squirm into their swim gear.

 

"So, Suji-yah, Jihoo-yah..." Hongbin started slowly. "What does your umma think of me?"

 

"Umma?" Jihoo echoed, staring at the door. He looked to his twin sister, who was smiling and messing with the fringe on her swimsuit top.

 

"I think umma likes you, Bean appa," Jihoo decided. "Bean appa is on her wall with the other appas."

 

"Eh? You mean she has a VIXX poster?" Hongbin asked.

 

Jihoo nodded. Then, with an uncharacteristically mischievous grin, he added, "Appas aren't wearing shirts..."

 

Does she have the Hyde poster then or is he talking about the Jekyll poster…? Hongbin laughed nervously then, but jumped in surprise when Jihoo squealed loudly. "APPA NO THAT TICKLES!" Jihoo cried.

 

"Ah, sorry sorry," Hongbin said quickly. "But you're almost ready, so just a little more, okay?"

 

Jihoo squirmed the whole time Hongbin pulled up the boy's swim trunks, and the little guy zoomed away from him once he was fully dressed. Suji giggled at her brother's actions, but Hongbin faced her next.

 

"Suji-yah, it's your turn," he said. She gave him a nervous smile but held out her arms like a good girl as he slipped her top on with ease.

 

"Suji-yah, which appa does your umma like the most?" Hongbin asked.

 

"Which appa?" she responded.

 

"Which one of the appas," Hongbin repeated. "Does she like N appa the most, or Ken appa, or Ravi appa or—"

 

"Oooh!" Suji awed. "She likes Leo appa a lot. Umma says he is good with us."

 

Well, Leo hyung IS good with kids, Hongbin agreed.

 

"But she also likes Hyuk appa, because they're twins!" Suji cheered.

 

Hongbin grimaced slightly as he wiggled Suji into her swimsuit bottoms. "What about me? Does she like me too?"

 

“I think so?” Suji said, frowning. “Why appa?”

 

“W-Well…” Hongbin stuttered. “I think your umma is a very nice person, and I want her to like me…”

 

Kangin giggled then. "Why wouldn't she like appa? You're handsome!"

 

Hongbin smiled. "You think so?"

 

The three kids nodded quickly. "My hyung said he wished he looked like appas," Kangin confirmed.

 

"Appa, don't forget sunscreen!" Suji piped up, pointing to the item in question; it was sitting on the floor beside the kids' discarded play clothes. Hongbin nodded and began to lather a good amount on the kids' arms, legs, and faces.

 

Hongbin didn't get a chance to ask more questions, because Emma walked back into the room, followed by N and Ken. The kids cheered at the sight of their playful appas, who were also dressed in their swim trunks and carried colorful pool toys. "Who's ready to go swimming?" N asked excitedly.

 

The kids swarmed N and Ken, which surprised Hongbin. He watched in amusement as Kangin hopped in place, trying to jump for the toys. The twins were jumping up and down, but not for the toys; Hongbin could tell they were just excited to go playing in the water.

 

"Don't forget to wear your floaties, babies," Emma suddenly spoke up. Suji and Jihoo froze before rushing to their closet. The three VIXX appas watched as the twins pulled out some floatation devices that the two slipped onto their arms.

 

"Kangin-ah, come here!" Suji ordered, holding out an extra pair for the little boy.

 

Once all three had on floaties on their arms, Suji began to babble on in toddler speech; she led the group through the house and to the backyard. The other three members of VIXX were already in the backyard, and greeted their fellow members before awing at the sight of water-ready toddlers.

 

Emma slipped away and out of the camera shot, choosing to sit beside Kangin's mother and Youngwoo, who were both sitting on several poolside chairs.

 

"Your house is lovely, Emma-ssi," Gayun commented.

 

"Thank you...my parents love it here," Emma said.

 

"Where are your parents, by the way? Jihoo-appa mentioned earlier that you two live with your parents..."

 

"I think they're in Japan right now," Emma guessed.

 

The guardians continued on with small talk like this, only occasionally glancing to the children playing with VIXX. Meanwhile, Suji, Jihoo, and Kangin were more interested in seeing who could splash the most.

 

At around lunchtime, filming was only occasionally capturing the interactions of VIXX and the three children. The producer felt it unnecessary to have eating footage for the episode, so once everyone was dry enough and was served a lunch box, the cameras stopped rolling.

 

Hongbin was thankful for this—a small, nagging feeling inside him wanted to be close to Emma Song. He spotted her and Kangin’s mother passing out honey-flavored drinks to the cameramen and PAs, and any other remaining staff. He watched in a strange sense of pride and comfort to see her being so generous, and was so distracted that he didn’t notice someone sit down beside him.

 

“Hongbin-ssi, it’s an honor to officially meet you in person,” a voice startled him.  

 

Hongbin turned abruptly and tried not to gape at Youngwoo, who had come up from behind and taken a seat beside him.

 

“I’ve introduced myself to the other members earlier,” Youngwoo said. “I hope that we can get along during the rest of the Hello Baby season.”

 

“Uh...um…” Hongbin was at a loss for what to say. Is he serious? He was the one giving me and the others the macho attitude earlier!

 

“I’m just saying this because I’ll be attending the filming next week. I’ll be healed a lot more, so the twins will be escorted to and from filming by me,” Youngwoo announced.

 

“What?” Hongbin asked, eyes wide. “Why?” Why can’t Song-ssi do it? Hongbin wanted to ask.

 

By the sudden glint in Youngwoo’s eyes, Hongbin could tell that Youngwoo knew what the member of VIXX wasn’t asking. A knowing smile—but Hongbin would best describe it as a cocky smirk—grew on Youngwoo’s face.

 

“Emma’s parents will be back in town, and they’re planning on spending time with her for the brief time they’re here,” Youngwoo explained. “I already explained this to the director, and he’s so kind and accommodating to us...so I hope we can get along.”

 

“So...Song-ssi won’t be coming to filming at all next week?” Hongbin tried to ask, though his throat felt tight and his voice slightly wavered.

 

“That’s right...and to be honest, I’m not sure if she’ll attend any of the filming after that, either,” Youngwoo said, shrugging. Hongbin’s heart felt like it sputtered for a moment. The burning question Why not? was on the tip of his tongue, but Hongbin was too scared of the answer to ask it.

 

When he finally opened his mouth to say something, Emma approached the two with a confused grin on her face. “Are you guys not hungry?” she commented, looking at their food, which had hardly been touched.

 

“Oh, we were just talking, jagiya,” Youngwoo said easily, turning his gaze away from the idol beside him. Hongbin’s whole body tensed in shock—and jealousy?—at the petname, and looked to Emma to see how she would react.

 

He wasn’t sure whether to be thankful or cry, because she merely crossed her arm and brushed it off. “Youngwoo-yah, I know you. You’re probably the only one doing the talking. Don’t bother Hongbin-ssi; he needs to eat.”

 

“Oh?” Youngwoo looked back to Hongbin with a slightly worried expression. “Was I disturbing you?”

 

Hongbin cleared the stuffy feeling in his throat and shook his head slightly. “No...it was good to talk to you.”

 

Youngwoo smiled a cheeky, almost sore winner smile, and turned back to Emma. “See jagiya? Everything’s fine.”

 

Hongbin watched as a skeptical expression crossed Emma’s face before she sighed and said, “Well, alright. Hongbin-ssi, let me know if you need anything.”

 

“I will. Thank you,” Hongbin said, bowing in his seat. As Emma was about to turn and leave, he blurted out, “A-And please just call me Hongbin-ah. Ssi sounds too formal.”

 

Something tugged at Hongbin’s heart as he watched Emma Song spin in surprise. Her face began to redden, and she stuttered, “W-What?”

 

Hongbin let out an amused chuckle. "Suji and Jihoo told me about your poster...so you don't have to worry about being formal with me, or any of the other members."

 

"Whoa~" Youngwoo said. "Those kids are such blabber mouths." He laughed and stood up from his seat beside Hongbin. He grabbed for Emma's hand with his good hand, smiling. "But looks like they helped you, hmm?"

 

Emma was still blushing as she smacked Youngwoo's chest—in a playful way, so she wouldn't hurt him too much. She scowled at Youngwoo and said, "They get their mouths from you, you know?"

 

Then she turned her attention back to Hongbin, who was looking up at her expectantly. "If it's alright...Hongbin-ah," she said softly.

 

Hongbin felt a smile spread across his face, and he couldn't hold back the happy laugh that escaped from his mouth. "Yeah, like that....Song-ssi."

 

"I-If I can call you Hongbin-ah, you can call me Emma," Emma blurted out quickly.

 

Hongbin watched as a look of disbelief crossed Youngwoo's face, and he couldn't feel more accomplished. Hongbin felt like he just won a big prize or something just as amazing.

 

"Emma-yah, thank you," Hongbin said with a warm smile...and a warming heart.

 

 


 

*1.5 meters is roughly 6 feet, which is the standard depth of residental pools

 

With that being said...I'm so very sorry I didn't keep my promise! I

meant to update...but I think I was trying to juggle this fic as well

as my EXO fic, but when Kris left (and Luhan left too) it

was just too hard to find the motivation to keep

writing...so for now I'll focus solely on

this fic, and (TRY TO) update more

frequently.

 

But for now,

please enjoy!