Chapter 3: Surprise Twist

Hello Baby: VIXX Edition!

"So when are you getting released today?" Emma asked over the phone.

 

"Why? Can't wait to see me home again?" Youngwoo teased on the other end.

 

"No, stupid. I'm asking for your babies, Jihoo and Suji—they can't wait to see you. They even want to be the first to greet you after you get out of the hospital," Emma said, rolling her eyes.

 

It had been about four days since she had agreed to pose as Jihoo and Suji's mother while the children filmed for Hello Baby. Those four days weren't ALL bad; aside from the constant dirty, disapproving looks shot her way from all of the crew—and Kangin's mother—the boys of VIXX had been so kind. It was as if they were going out of their way at times to make the recording experience easier for both Emma and the twins. They seemed to pay special attention to Emma's reactions whenever they played and interacted with Suji and Jihoo.

 

"Oh yeah, how are my sweet babies?" Youngwoo asked, sounding a bit like a responsible, doting parent.

 

Emma smiled before saying, "WELL, they were really mischievous the first day. Honestly they didn't behave until the second day, when I told them you were feeling better."

 

"Ah, it's because they love their appa too much," Youngwoo said.

 

Emma tried to hold in the huff of amused irritation. "Yes they LOVE their appa."

 

"But their 'umma' loves me too, doesn't she?" Youngwoo chuckled playfully. Emma bit her tongue, suppressing the urge to throw her phone. Youngwoo is TOO much sometimes, she thought sourly.

 

Instead, she laughed sarcastically, "Of course. I love you so much, that you're still my lock screen picture."

 

"Whoa really?" Youngwoo gasped. "Oh Emma, you DO love me."

 

"Yeah, sure," Emma huffed, only half-irritated now. A genuine smile broke out on her face when she glanced to Suji and Jihoo. "We could come pick you up from the hospital after today's recording, if you want..."

 

"That's okay," Youngwoo said. "I'll surprise them when they see me home before them."

 

"Will you be able to get home safely?"

 

"Don't worry, I'll get a taxi. Your parents are overseas right now, but I wouldn't want to bother them even if they were here. I already owe them so much."

 

"Hey now..."

 

"I mean it," Youngwoo cut Emma off. "Suji, Jihoo, and I would be much worse off if it weren't for you and your family. You've helped us through so much."

 

"Well it's because you ARE family," Emma said seriously, with a gentler tone than she had been using earlier. She suddenly felt a prickly feeling—as if she were being watched—and turned her head to find Ken and Hongbin staring at her. She flushed slightly and cleared .

 

"I'll see you at home," Youngwoo said, bringing Emma back to their conversation. "And when you get back, let's take a picture together—your lock screen picture is kind of old."

 

"You want to be my lock screen again? Can't I just change it to Jihoo or Suji?"

 

"No, I HAVE to be your lock screen picture," Youngwoo argued. "I want to be the face you see every time you turn on your phone."

 

"Oh my god you're so cheesy," Emma shuddered.

 

"And if you change it, I'll lock you out again," Youngwoo warned.

 

"You—"

 

"I looooove you Emma~! Bye!" Youngwoo said loudly, effectively cutting her off.

 

Emma glared at her phone's screen for a moment before sighing deeply in defeat. She crossed her arms and looked to Suji and Jihoo playing with Kangin and several of the members of VIXX. 1, 2, 3, 4...huh? Where are Ken and Hongbin?

 

Emma’s internal question was answered when the two missing members of VIXX sat down on either side of her. “Who were you talking to?” Ken asked her curiously.

 

“Um...S-Suji and Jihoo’s a-appa,” Emma stuttered, blushing. She REALLY didn’t want to be confronted about the topic, but Ken and Hongbin pressed just a bit more, and she couldn’t help but open up to them. She was their fan, after all...and she was thrilled to be talking to them, even if it was about her life.

 

“What did he want?” Hongbin asked.

 

“N-Not much,” Emily said. Then she blushed slightly when she remembered her stupid friend’s flirtiness over the phone. “W-Well he said he was getting out of the hospital today.”

 

“He was in the hospital?” Ken asked, shocked. Emma nodded. A part of her immediately wished she hadn’t said that when Hongbin and Ken looked guilty and sad all of a sudden.

 

“He was in a car crash in his company van. He got hurt...oh but not too badly!” Emma rushed an explanation, trying to ease the pain she somehow inflicted on the boys of VIXX.

 

“I’m so sorry… How were you able to manage?” Ken asked seriously. “It must have been difficult…”

 

“W-Well...my classes ended just before the accident so…”

 

“Classes? Oh, you go to school?” Hongbin asked. Emma nodded, adding, “University,” and Hongbin and Ken looked impressed.

 

“So how do you normally take care of the twins when you go to school?” Ken asked curiously.

 

“Um...well, Youngwoo and I live with my parents,” Emma explained, trying to sound matter-of-fact about the situation.

 

The two young men seemed lost in thought for a moment, and Emma wasn’t sure why they were asking her all of these questions. It’s not like we’ll be in touch once Youngwoo can start taking the twins to filming… Emma thought somewhat sadly.

 

Ken suddenly placed a hand on Emma’s shoulder and squeezed encouragingly. Hongbin smiled gently, and the two boys looked to each other. Wait...what’s going on? Emma wondered. She noticed a strange glance the two shared, as if they were telepathically communicating.

 

But she couldn’t say anything, because the director and their manager herded the two back into the shot with the rest of VIXX and the babies.

 

All through the rest of the day’s filming, Emma tried to ignore the odd, nagging feeling that something bad was going to happen. She noticed that Ken or Hongbin would tear away from the filming to speak with the director quietly, and her edgy sixth sense went haywire each time. What is wrong with me? she wondered. Just because Ken and Hongbin are acting...WEIRD, doesn’t mean anything is going to happen.

 

Emma was ready to dismiss the feeling when Hello Baby’s director came up to her. He was smiling, and said, “Ken and Hongbin-ssi came up with a brilliant twist to the show. It’s a surefire way to change up this season and make it more memorable than any season so far. In fact, Kangin umma is already willing.”

 

“What is it?” Emma asked cautiously.

 

“One of the activities could be that the boys of VIXX visit the babies’ real homes, and spend the day doing their various challenges with the babies and their real families,” the director beamed.

 

Emma’s jaw dropped, and the director seemed to ramble on about certain details that were included in the “day trip home” mission. He said something about visiting Kangin’s home first, then going to Suji and Jihoo’s. Which just so happened to be Emma’s family’s home.

 

“It would be wonderful if you could cooperate,” the director urged when Emma didn’t say anything.

 

“Um...y-yeah, okay,” Emma stuttered. “Well, I mean...I would have to, um, inform my family that’s living with me about the situation, but if it’s for the show…”

 

WHAT am I saying?! Emma mentally screamed. But in the director’s mind, her words were basically a “yes”, and he nodded enthusiastically.

 

“Wonderful!” he said. “Now, filming for the day is just about over, so once we wrap up here, we could actually film the boys of VIXX showing the babies to their separate homes today, which could lead up to tomorrow and the next day of filming.”

 

As if it were possible, Emma’s jaw dropped even lower. Film the boys of VIXX bringing home the babies TODAY?! But I don’t think the house is even clean! Emma thought, but scolded herself when she realized there were problems bigger than that. Youngwoo was just released from the hospital, so he would be home. Why is this happening? Emma wondered, embarrassed.

 

She loved her friend, but cringed in embarrassment at some point or another when they hung out together in public. He would make her skin crawl with his mushy, greasy mannerisms and “pick-up lines”, or whenever he was just being his dorky, flirty self. But THIS. This would be so. Much. Worse.

 

I just hope he doesn’t act like that around VIXX… Emma pleaded with her mind.

 

A part of her hoped it was just her imagination that Hongbin and Ken were staring at her once filming had finished in the apartment. But when she turned to face VIXX, she was disappointed to see that not only them, but the rest of VIXX, were glancing her way indiscreetly. What sins have I committed in a past life for this to happen to me? Emma wanted to cry out.

 

Because the day’s filming hadn’t quite finished, Emma had to move in a group with all of the film crew, VIXX, and the babies. The first stop was Kangin’s house, since his family lived closer. The “first scene” was Kangin opening the door to his home and leading VIXX into his family’s house. The film crew had to redo the scene several times, because Kangin was too tired in one shot, or he was too confused in another, or he was too excited. The director finally settled for an excited Kangin, because the poor little boy began to cry in frustration for having to redo the scene too many times.

 

“Excellent job everyone,” the director said, clearly wanting to be finished.

 

Kangin’s mother tried to shush her child, but he struggled angrily in her arms. “Kangin,” Emma cooed, catching the little boy’s attention. “You did such a good job. You were great! Here—a little something for you.” She held out a piece of candy, and his fat crocodile tears instantly stopped running.

 

“Umma, can I have it?” Kangin asked his mother. She stared at Emma warily for a moment before patting her little boy’s back.

 

“Sure baby, you can have the candy.”

 

He smiled brightly, and he held out his hand to Emma. She dropped the candy into his hand, and he stuffed it in his mouth happily. Kangin’s mother mouthed a ‘thank you’, before Emma and the rest of the crew left. Their next destination was to shoot for the next scene: Emma’s house.

 

After a mental pep talk to herself, Emma was ready to brace herself for what was to come. The scene was easy; she was going to do what Kangin’s mother had done, which was wait inside for the babies to march in with VIXX behind them. Emma was given a few minutes to explain to “whatever family was already home” about the situation. Emma walked into the house quickly and immediately spotted Youngwoo’s shoes in the entrance way’s shoe shelf. He’s home… she thought nervously.

 

“Youngwoo?” Emma called out.

 

As if he had been waiting, the living room light suddenly flicked on, and Emma’s heart flipped when she saw her friend. He beamed excitedly, and hobbled over to the hallway.

 

“Emma~!” he squealed excitedly, wrapping his uninjured arm around her tightly; Emma happily hugged Youngwoo back. Despite knowing her friend was embarrassing beyond belief, Emma was genuinely happy to see him up and moving around.

 

“Where are the babies?” Youngwoo asked.

 

“They’re outside; listen, a couple of the members of VIXX came up with an idea for the show, and the director is rolling with it,” Emma said. She explained the situation, and Youngwoo’s jaw dropped.

 

“You’re serious? They’re here? Right now?” Youngwoo gasped. Emma nodded.

 

“Oh my GOD, Em!” he whined. “I can’t be on camera like THIS!”

 

“Well I couldn’t exactly say no when the other mother already agreed to it!” Emma protested.

 

“But you’re not—”

 

“And don’t even say I’m not the mother! You made me promise to pretend, but that meant I had to accept the responsibility of looking after the twins while they were at the recording! And this situation HAPPENED at one of those recordings!”

 

Youngwoo frowned, but kept his mouth shut after that. He grudgingly waddled over to the living room couches and carefully sat down. “Well? Come sit with me then,” he grumbled, clearly unhappy. But he wasn’t going to leave her side now, that much Emma could tell.

 

She nodded and—after a 10 second tidy—poked her head out to let the director, camera crew, babies, and VIXX know that everything was ready inside. She let a few cameramen into the house to film Jihoo and Suji walking in from a different angle than the ones that were still outside. They greeted Youngwoo warily, and he nodded back in greeting.

 

One of the cameramen asked Emma to sit down beside Youngwoo, and she complied. Emma held her breath, impatiently excited to see Suji and Jihoo’s faces when they saw their dad on the couch beside her.

 

“They’ll be so surprised,” Emma whispered.

 

“Oh they’ll be surprised alright,” Youngwoo agreed. But the tone of his voice suggested something more, and it was something that Emma couldn’t understand.

 

The cameras started rolling, and sound of the door opening caught the friends’ ears. They watched eagerly as Jihoo and Suji stomped happily into their home.

 

“Appas, shoesies go there!” Emma heard Suji order. She could barely see around the wall as Suji and Jihoo put their shoes away, and could hear them excitedly slip into their house slippers. “Appas, you all gets slippers too! Umma put them here, see?”

 

“I never realized how much Suji-baby spoke,” Youngwoo whispered to Emma. She smiled and tried to hold back a laugh, for fear of exposing the baby’s unexpected guest.

 

She felt like she was on pins and needles when she heard Jihoo gasp and shout excitedly, “Appa’s shoeses!”

 

“Yes, appa’s shoes,” Emma heard one of the VIXX members agree. Most likely N.

 

“Not APPAS appa, but APPA appa!” Jihoo shouted suddenly, making Youngwoo chuckle softly in amusement.

 

But it was loud enough for the babies to hear him. Emma felt as if her face was going to rip from smiling so hard when she heard Suji and Jihoo gasp loudly before rushing into the house. Their eyes lit up as they stared at Emma...but she knew they were looking to their father, who was sitting beside her with his uninjured arm draped over the back of Emma’s seat. The twins squealed loudly before running as fast as they could to their dad, shouting, “APPA!”

 

They were about to jump on their still injured dad but Emma held out her arms to shield Youngwoo from his over-excited children. “Babies, Appa still hurts,” Emma warned. “Be gentle.”

 

Youngwoo giggled like a giddy, amused child as his babies crawled onto him slowly and touched him with child-filled awe; they were treating him gently, that much Emma gave them credit for. Emma watched as they softly Youngwoo’s face, or gently patted his various casts.

 

Emma wished she could have let Suji and Jihoo have a moment with their dad, but she patted their butts to get their attention. “Jihoo...Suji, who are the pretty oppas standing by the door?” she coaxed, trying to get the babies back into their acting modes.

 

“Umma, they aren’t oppas—they’re APPAS,” Suji corrected, instantly catching on. Like the smart little girl she is, Emma thought. Then, Suji and Jihoo began to scold her for not correctly knowing who “VIXX appas were”. Emma played along and made an ‘o’ with . The twins scurried off to bring VIXX into the house, and Emma stifled a laugh.

 

Beside her, Emma felt Youngwoo tense as they watched the babies usher in VIXX. Suji pushed N by the back of his legs while dragging Ravi and Hongbin, while Jihoo alternated tugging at Ken, Leo, and Hyuk’s hands. The six members of VIXX were now all in the house, followed by the cameramen and other crew.

 

Emma smiled shyly as she realized this. VIXX was in her house! And they weren’t in there because they were in posters on her wall, either. They were the living, breathing boys that Youngwoo had shown her almost a year ago…

 

But there was a hostile vibe in the air. Emma felt her skin prickle in the moment, and noticed the hard stares VIXX was giving her...no. They weren’t staring at her. They were staring at the person beside her. Youngwoo?

 

Emma glanced beside her to see her friend. He was casually sitting on the couch, his arm still over the back of Emma’s half of the couch. “So YOU’RE...Jihoo and Suji’s appa,” N seemed to spit out. Although he was smiling, a grimace seemed to seep into his expression.

 

As she studied the other members, Emma realized that they all were very much like their leader. Their odd moods seemed to sour when Youngwoo huffed arrogantly, surprising Emma. “Yes, I’m Jihoo and Suji’s appa. It’s nice to finally meet the ‘APPAS’ who have been taking such good care of MINE AND EMMA’s babies.”

 

Emma froze and glanced to Youngwoo with undeniable surprise. What? What the hell are you saying Youngwoo? she mentally screamed at her friend.

 

What Emma didn’t realize was that was the start of a whole new mess.

 
 

Sorry it took so long to update...but hopefully I'll be able to update more frequently ^-^

Readers get to meet Suji and Jihoo's daddy finally~! hehehe

What do you think of him?

& since this story is romance, I'm still deciding who Emma should eventually end up with.

Any suggestions from the readers?

If so, please leave in the comments below <3