Part II

The Tales of Red and His Wolf

The First Winter is Always the Longest

Part II

 


 

Before too long, the sun is beginning to dip from its high position in the sky, signalling to Seunghyun that it's safe to make his way back to his precious Red. Being apart for just one day, now that they have found each other again, feels like an eternity. To make the day pass by quicker, Seunghyun makes feeble attempts at hunting and scouting the area for any new animal packs. No matter how far he runs or how wide he searches the forests, the seconds move by so slowly. At the first sign of dusk approaching, Seunghyun follows the streaks of pale pink and lavender in the sky towards his destination. With a sense of urgency and excitement known only to separated lovers, Seunghyun closes the distance between his hideout in the heart of the forest and the village before the sun dips below the horizon.

Following Jiyong's very strict instructions on how to safely navigate through the outskirts of town and end his journey without being hunted, Seunghyun feels his skin itch and prickle with impatience. Every fibre of his being is screaming at him to follow his instincts and track the scent directly to Jiyong. For as long as he can remember, Seunghyun's nose has always lead him back to the scent of fresh apples and honeyed milk. Once upon a time, long before he ever crossed paths with his Little Red Riding Hood, that scent would signal to him that a village was nearby—and a village means food. Then on that fateful day, the scent lead him to find a young child, alone and lost, straying from the path. That same child who showed no fear and was the first human in years to offer him any kindness. That same child who left him a shiny red apple, and who grew up to become his Red.

 

*

 

The rushing winds in these woods can be harsh no matter the time of day or night but they are particularly icy today. The high breeze should have warned the white wolf that roams these woods that he had company but instead his nose was too preoccupied with following the scent of fresh apples to notice. He has seen the child many times before today but never before on it's own. The small child is often frolicking in the thick woods, never afraid and always running around joyfully near their grandmother's home. Today, however, the child seems lost and by the intoxicating smell calling Seunghyun closer, the child is also afraid. Those small hands grip on to a basket almost the same size as their tiny frame, full to the brim with shining red apples. The closer the wolf creeps to the edge of the bushes, the slower the child walks along the path until they collapse into a heap of tears right in the centre of a cross-way.

The child is perfectly distracted, making it so easy for Seunghyun to creep up and sink his teeth into those skinny arms and tiny legs but by some unknown force, Seunghyun finds himself shifting into his human form the moment he steps out into the clearing. There are apples scattered all along the path leading to the little child and Seunghyun collects them in his arms as he approaches the crying figure. Before he can make a sound to announce his presence, the child turns around to blink up at him through thick tears rolling down chubby cheeks.

"Um..." The child twists around until they're facing Seunghyun, tightening their grip on the straw basket nervously. "Excuse me, sir... was that dog with the white fur yours?"

Startled by the question, Seunghyun blinks at the child in confusion. How did they see him in his wolf form? He was perfectly hidden by the shrubbery surrounding the path. Bending down on one knee before the child, Seunghyun carefully stacks the apples he's collected onto the toppling tower inside the basket, receiving a bright smile from the child.

"Yes he is mine."

The child looks so amazed, Seunghyun is seriously concerned those big brown eyes may pop right out of their sockets. Sitting up so quickly, they almost knock the basket over, the child asks excitedly, "What is his name? Why did he run away? Does he not like me?"

With their faces now so close, Seunghyun is thoroughly confused as to how this little human is not quivering in fear before him. Even in his human form, everything about him is designed to warn off his prey. Unnaturally black eyes, stark white hair, scars marking his past battles are all over his hands and face, even his scent thick with the smells of the deep forests are meant to ward off the innocents. And yet miraculously, this small child is not afraid by him or by his wolf form, on the contrary, they seem to be fascinated by him.

"Of course he likes you, he likes you a lot," Seunghyun smiles widely that all his sharp teeth show but the child looks so stunned that his wolf likes them. "So much so, that he did not want to scare you so he thought it best to go back home. And his name is Wolf." He answers the child's questions backwards.

"He was pretty. I want him to come back!"

Wonders never cease. How does this child find it in their heart to be so intrigued by his existence and not be terrified of being eaten by the big bad wolf? Something deep inside Seunghyun's chest tells him that this child deserves his protection and care, to be shown the right path back to safety.

"Do you have a name, pet?" Seunghyun helps the little child back on their feet, dusting off the dirt and leaves caught on their thick woollen red coat.

"Sorry," the child looks up at him, lips, cheeks and nose all rosy red from the icy winds. "My mother always tells me not to speak to strangers."

Seunghyun chuckles with a shake of his head, picking up the basket of apples to carry. He finds it oddly adorable that the child is still talking to him but simply refuses to speak their name. "Are you lost?" The child nods at him. "Come, follow me. I think I know where you are supposed to be."

Seunghyun sets off down the path leading to the home of the child's grandmother but is stopped by a tiny, high pitched voice screaming at him to 'Wait!' and so he does. When the child catches up to him, panting and dragging their feet, they frown up at Seunghyun.

"You need to hold my hand! I can not walk as fast as you can, my legs are too small."

The child crosses their arms sulkily, waiting for Seunghyun to reach out and take their hand. Before setting off this morning, Seunghyun never would have guessed he would end it with a basket full of apples in one hand and the hand of a small child in his other. And yet, here he is, leading the child back to the right path instead of feasting on their tiny bones for a snack. From this day forth, Seunghyun is certain the child in the red coat will play a pivotal role in his long life, but what that role is, he has no clue.

 

*

 

Seunghyun can recall with perfect clarity how innocent and kind the small child was. His Little Red has grown up so much since then but has that sweet, innocence really been lost or is it still there? And by remaining by his side, is Seunghyun allowing the wolf to taint his unblemished soul with darkness? Seunghyun never set out to fall for this beautiful creature—and never in his wildest dreams did he imagine Jiyong would fall for him. Since the very first time Seunghyun crossed path with his Little Red as such a young child, both have been infatuated with each other.

At that point in time, their attraction towards each other was never physical but it was an overwhelmingly strong connection that neither of them fully understood until Red came of age. Until then, Seunghyun only felt an instinctive need to protect Jiyong from harm's way. As for Jiyong, it was always an overwhelming curiosity that had him searching for the white wolf. He's always known the wolf was watching him watched him—but he never knew the reason why. The boy's obsession with capturing the wolf's attention has always been so he can learn who the wolf really is, why he follows him, why he has protected him.

With a new sense of urgency, Seunghyun stumbles through the bushes with an uncharacteristic clumsiness. He feels giddy—something he never ever feels. For a few short moments, it seems as though the inner wolf trapped inside him has given him a few moments peace and is allowing for his real human side to shine through. A moment before he is about to part the thick shrubbery concealing his view from the back door of the bakery, Seunghyun's ears burn hot with the sound of Jiyong's voice and an unfamiliar male speaking with each other. His immediate response is a deep growl that vibrates all through his body but thankfully it's quiet enough that it doesn't reach the ears of the two humans.

Relying only on his sense of smell, Seunghyun can tell from the scent hanging in the air that this stranger is older than Jiyong but only by a year or two and works long days out in the sun, presumably on a farm of some kind. The sound of his voice alone is indicator enough that they have a very particular interest in capturing Jiyong's attention, Seunghyun doesn't need to inhale the sickening scent of desire rolling off of him to know that. Patience is not a virtue any wolf possesses and Seunghyun is certainly no exception to the rule. When it comes to his Little Red, his possessiveness is even harder to keep under control. Without a single flicker of hesitation, he parts the small branches in front of him and peaks through the leaves to catch a glimpse on what is taking place on the back steps of the bakery as night approaches.

The first sight which meets his eyes is this unknown male stepping closer toward Jiyong, who is instinctively taking a step back inside the doorway. A clear sign that this male attention is unwanted as every step taken towards him is met with a step backward towards his safe haven. As if that alone isn't enough to cause the wolf's blood to boil, this male dares to have the nerve to reach out and place his hand on Jiyong's neck. It takes every ounce of self control he's ever possessed not to rip the male's body limb from limb, starting with the hand which touches his Red. What makes it worse is his Red doesn't slap his hand away as Seunghyun prays he will, instead he holds the male's hand in his own to remove it from his neck. Worse again is the sweet smile Red gives him before placing both hands on his shoulders to guide him out the doorway.

A cheerful wave and a very fond 'thank you' from Jiyong sends the male on his way back home and that is Seunghyun's cue to preoccupy himself with getting around to the other side of the field towards Jiyong's room instead of following this stranger home and having bloody murder. He can feel himself almost drooling at the thought of tracking this male's horrid scent back to his family and tearing them all to shreds. Before his Red tamed him, Seunghyun would have given in to his wolf side but the sight of his love worriedly glancing out towards the edge of the forests is stronger than his blood-lust. As he stands back on his feet, Seunghyun can feel his arms and legs shaking. The wolf may be calm enough to think straight but there's still the unpleasant taste of jealously on his tongue.

Following the track around to the back of the bakery where Jiyong's private quarters are situated, Seunghyun grows increasingly more and more repulsed with himself. No matter how strongly his Red believes in him, Seunghyun will never be strong enough to control the wolf within. He will never be strong enough to be in complete control of the beast raging inside him. This uncontrollable jealously coursing through his veins makes him feel tainted and dirty. Dropping to his knees just as he comes to Jiyong's door, Seunghyun digs his fingers into the freezing snow, scooping it into his hands until his bones ache from the cold. The sting of the frozen snow is easily ignored when Seunghyun sets himself with the task of scrubbing all the filth and grime from his hands, under his fingernails, his face, neck, everywhere the dirt covers his skin.

When his hands are too numb to hold anymore snow in his palm, Seunghyun huffs out an exhausted breath and shoves himself off the solid ground. No amount of scrubbing will ever make him clean enough for his Red but for now it will have to do. A soft whine escapes his lips and Seunghyun can feel his wolf feeling more and more defeated at the thought he'll never be worthy of his Red. At times like these, when doubts settle in and take control, the only thing to ease Seunghyun's pain and calm his wolf is Jiyong. With that one thought in mind, he finds the strength to raise himself off the snow and trudge closer to Jiyong's door. Of course he takes the care and time to wipe away all of the tiny frozen water particles clinging to his clothes. He attempts to smooth his white hair, knowing it will be tousled messily from running around all day long. Only when he feels remotely presentable, does Seunghyun take a deep breath to steady himself and knock on the door.

Before his fist can pound on the wooden door a third time, it's wrenched open to reveal a very flustered (but now slightly relieved) Jiyong. Seunghyun feels his heart leap at seeing Jiyong's bright expression again. Nothing can compare to the beauty of Jiyong's brown eyes twinkling with such joy or that contagious grin which reveals his pink gums and sparkling white teeth. Without realising it, the pair quietly stare at one other, seemingly trapped in their own thoughts until Jiyong snaps back to reality first.

"Come inside, you silly Wolf." The boy laughs, a little too giddily that he has to cover his mouth to suppress his girlish giggles. "Quickly!" he urges Seunghyun to cross over the threshold and out of the falling snow. "Before you catch a cold or—"

"—Or before I'm seen." Seunghyun interrupts as he allows himself to be pulled inside, despite Jiyong having almost no strength over him. When he sees Jiyong's cheery expression fall, he immediately regrets his words. In an instant the bubbling giggles stop and take away the warm smile with them.

"I am not ashamed of you," Jiyong's voice comes out in a broken whisper and Seunghyun has to wonder, when did his Little Red begin speaking so often in hushed whispers? Was it when the boy realised he could speak his thoughts so quietly and still have them heard by Seunghyun's sharp hearing?

When Jiyong turns his back on him to close and lock his door, Seunghyun's body surges forward to embrace him. Every single one of his instincts screaming at him to hold his beloved close until he smiles again. It always amazes Seunghyun how small Jiyong's frame is, when he's dressed so warmly in his red riding cape, it hides how slender his waist is, how narrow his hips are. "I know, my love." Seunghyun purrs into Jiyong's ear, encircling his arms around his middle and pulling him flush against his chest. "Forgive me for bringing it up again, please let's not dampen our high spirits. Not when I only just arrived here." He whispers softly, trailing the tip of his nose along Jiyong's exposed neck.

Seunghyun may be laying it on a little thick on purpose, but the seeing the flash of sadness in those endless brown eyes sparked something inside him. For the moment, all previous thoughts surrounding his jealousy of that other man have gone along with his wolf tendencies. All that's left beating in his chest is this human heart that yearns to be close to this delightful young creature.

With a slight shiver inching it's way up Jiyong's spine, he spins around in Seunghyun's arms to face him, his eyes looking the slightest bit dazed at their sudden proximity. With that dazzling gaze and those red lips parted, Jiyong is lucky Seunghyun doesn't eat him right up. The boy blinks several times before sliding his hands up the length of Seunghyun's arms, his skilled baker's hands gripping and tightening around the strong muscles. When those delicate hands rest on Seunghyun's shoulders, toying with the thin fabric of his shirt, Jiyong seems to find his voice again.

"You came all this way with no pelts or furs? Weren't you cold?" Jiyong's voice, although so quiet it's almost a whisper, is laced with concern for his wolf. It will never cease to amaze Seunghyun how such a perfect being can hold so much concern for a wretched monster.

"A little." He answers with a light shrug.

Truthfully, Seunghyun barely noticed the icy winds as he trekked through the forests but now that he focuses his attention on something other than those sparkling eyes in front of him—he can hear that Jiyong has the fire crackling away and smell the smoky pine scent filling the room. The small cabin isn't warm yet though, meaning Jiyong has only just finished his work for the day and is still clad in his working attire. Slaving away in the hot ovens of the bakery doesn't require warm clothing and so the boy is fighting off his shivers. There are charcoal grey stockings covering his skinny legs, not his usual white socks. Seunghyun has always been grateful to Jiyong's taste in white stockings because he is rather partial to seeing that milky flesh covered with silky, soft, white stockings. But he assumes with the dirty and hard-work of the bakery, a deep grey is a more suitable choice. Today, he's back to wearing his favoured skirts—in fact it's a long sleeved dress that reaches his knees, covered with a tightly laced corseted vest. It's simple in design, the only colours a deep, smoky grey and black swirling patterns but Seunghyun notices the finer detailing in the material. Even when his Red is dressed for work, he still looks as stunning as ever.

He always knows he's been staring too long when Red begins to shift uncomfortably under his intense gaze. Even though Jiyong has grown so fond of Seunghyun's strange eyes that change from crystal blue to midnight onyx, they still hold a strong power over him. When Jiyong looks away, covering his wrists with those long sleeves and brings his hand over his chest to lift the corset higher up his chest, Seunghyun ducks his head, hiding a sheepish smile. He always gets caught staring. Now that he's not getting lost in the sight before him, Seunghyun remembers he only gave Jiyong a two-word answer.

"There is no need to fret over me, Pet." Seunghyun's lips curl up into a mischievous grin, wondering if Jiyong recalls that nickname he once used years ago. There's no clear recognition on Jiyong's face, only a shy nibble to his plump bottom lip. Turning away from his little human, Seunghyun steps further into Jiyong's small quarters. It's much simpler than Seunghyun ever imagined. When he used to venture out of the woods at night to check in on his precious human, Jiyong occupied a very small room that he cluttered with as many scraps of material and rolls of fabric as he could. Now, with more space, his possessions seem fewer. Except for the one corner of the room saved for his sketches and designs of sewing projects, his room is bare. Stepping up to the cluttered writing desk, Seunghyun shifts through the papers stacked in a pile, curiously wondering what expression adorns his face as he brings these sketches to life. "If I felt I needed my furs, I would have worn them but they weigh me down, I couldn't risk it in case I need to make a quick escape."

"A quick escape," Jiyong repeats softly to himself, as though grappling with the idea that they're both in constant danger while the wolf is in the village, inside his home, his room. His room which is now being inspected and scrutinized under his wolf's eye. Suddenly feeling even more exposed with Seunghyun in his room, looking in on his most intimate and sacred place, Jiyong wraps an arm around his middle and keeps his bare chest covered with his hand. Seunghyun doesn't have to turn back around to look at Jiyong to know that the boy is allowing his nerves to creep up on him. That melodic voice of his is beginning to tremble around the edges, coming out in a hushed gasp of air. 'Now this won't do at all,' Seunghyun muses to himself. In the blink of an eye, he comes to stand directly before his Red, prying the boy's small hands away so he can get a better look at his lithe body. "Besides," Seunghyun purrs close to his ear, slowly guiding Jiyong's arms to embrace his solid frame. "The thought of seeing you again kept me warm and my blood pumping."

And just like that, Jiyong feels the tension in his body instantly lift the moment Seunghyun is in his arms. His hands glide across his back, smoothing out the stubborn wrinkles in the well-worn material of his shirt. The warmth he usually seeks from Seunghyun's embrace isn't there and the chilled, hard muscles baffle him. "You're usually so warm but you feel almost frozen…"

"It's just the icy winds, Love." Seunghyun matches Jiyong's perplexed expression, not quite understanding the meaning behind Jiyong's words. Does his body heat settle at a higher temperature than other humans?

"No…" Jiyong searches those bright blue irises for a moment, relying on his natural abilities to read his reactions. After all these years, he knows enough of his wolf's habits to be able to bring light to this mystery. Acting purely on his instincts, Jiyong brings one of Seunghyun's hands up in front of his face. Of course he chooses the one hand which was dipping a little to low on his lower back. 'Cheeky Wolf,' Jiyong thinks to himself before focusing on the scarred and calloused hand. Hours spent practicing and perfecting his sewing skills have trained his eyes to pick up on all the finer details and it doesn't take too long to realise that those dirt caked fingernails he remembered are now scrubbed clean. "You've cleaned yourself." Jiyong remarks in astonishment. "And you smell differently. Less of this rich, earthy smell and more of fresh open fields with clean air... You're going to tell me that you used that snow out there to wipe yourself down, aren't you?"

"No, I am not going to tell you that." Seunghyun takes his hand back and defiantly settles it on Jiyong's lower back once more, his palm sliding further down to the swell of his round bottom. "But you will go on thinking it... Do you really pay that much attention to the way I smell?" he tilts his head curiously, feeling intrigued over the notion that his human can truly pick up on the subtler nuances of his scent.

With a shy nod, Jiyong his bottom lip into his mouth. "You are so attentive to my scents that I thought it only fair that I try my best with my lowered sense of smell."

"You realise that your scent is very different now, when I catch it on my tongue it is unfamiliar."

"I thought it may have changed since you left. Tell me, in what ways is it different? I wish to know how I smell to you." Seunghyun's jaw clenches, sensing some stubbornness in the way Red speaks his words—as though he is challenging him to count all the ways he's broken him by leaving him behind. Forcing him to count all cracks and chinks left in his porcelain skin. Seunghyun huffs roughly and advances in on him, and for the first time in a long time when the wolf steps up to him, Jiyong instinctively takes a step back. The beginning of a growl vibrates through his throat and he grabs hold of Jiyong's hips, pushing him against the wall and keeping him firmly in place as he presses himself against the slightly trembling body. The boy is shaking like the very last browned leaf left on the highest branch of the tallest tree, quaking in the strong winds but determined to prolong its inevitable fall for as long as possible. Seunghyun is just as determined to snap him off his branch and break that fall as his body slowly descends upon the frozen grounds. His nose instantly seeks out that favourite spot on the boy's neck where those delicious collarbones lead their way over to his shoulder. This is the place where Red's smell is the strongest, the sweetest.

That same hint of cinnamon and vanilla from all the time he spends in the bakery clings to his skin but his overpowering scent of milk and honey is nowhere to be found, instead it seems to have been replaced with the smell of warm, freshly baked bread. He doesn't notice how strong his hands have become on Jiyong's hips but now he's even more determined to track down the cause of his Red's shaking form. Is he shaking in fear again? Have they gone back to that place of mistrust and unknown fears? Or is he shaking with anticipation, excitement, eagerness... A tiny trickle of sweat falls from the back of Jiyong's neck, dampening those chestnut locks and the wolf is there to lap it up before it can disappear down the back of Red's collar. He hisses at the salty bitter taste he finds. His Little Red tastes of uncertainty and it leaves a much stronger taste in his mouth than fear would have.

Jiyong doesn't have to hear the words to know what Seunghyun discovers in his scent. "I didn't invite you to take in my new scent to upset you, don't misunderstand my intentions." Despite the obvious resistance his partner is showing him, from the clenched jaw and the tight grip Seunghyun still has on his hips, Jiyong reaches out to cup Seunghyun's face. Those chiseled cheekbones and angled jawbone fit perfectly in the palm of his hands and with a little encouragement in the form of quiet murmurings, Jiyong pleas with him to 'please just look at me.' And when he does look up, the empty look in those blue eyes is almost too much to bear. "And now you know the full extent of damage your absence in my life has caused." In his heart of hearts, Jiyong knows he should not be guilting Seunghyun for the hurt he's caused but maybe a small part of him feels justified at seeing a small fraction of the pain he suffered for an entire year written all over Seunghyun's face.

One thing he does not wish to do is to dwell on that dark side of their relationship and its better for both of them the sooner they move on from it. Not being able to handle looking at that pained expression for a moment longer, Jiyong guides Seunghyun to rest his head on his shoulder and he cradles his wolf close to his chest. Looking down at him from a new angle, Jiyong can't help but to smile to himself that this must be the first time he's properly held Seunghyun in his arms like this. Taking in the new angles and lines of his features, Jiyong's eyes widen a fraction and his lips purse in thought. "You have a new scar…" The boy whispers, trailing his finger over his eyebrow where the fresh scar cuts through.

"My Wolf, what did this to you?"

"It was nothing." Seunghyun's deep voice vibrates through Jiyong's chest and he tries to wriggle away from Jiyong's curious touch.

"Don't act so tough all the time there's no need to pretend around me."

"No honestly... I lost my footing and slipped down into a steep ravine. I impacted on a rocky slope and when I awoke the next morning there was dried blood on my face." The way he recollects the story is so detached and matter-of-fact that Jiyong can't help but to ponder how many times his wolf would be injured or hurt and attempt to hide it from him. It's almost as though Seunghyun can sense Jiyong's swirling thoughts because as the moment they begin to weigh down heavily on his heart, Seunghyun's hands are gliding over his arms, carefully inching the frayed material of his sleeves up to his elbows. Those shining blue eyes trail over the exposed expanse of pale skin, raking over every mark, no matter how small. "You have burn marks all over your hands and arms."

From the tone of his voice alone, Jiyong knows Seunghyun is losing control at the sight of his marred skin. The lump forming in his throat is so uncomfortable that no matter how hard he swallows, there is no relief. How can it be that Jiyong feels guilt over something as tedious as the scars he incurs from his work in the bakery and at the same time feel so overjoyed over the fact that Seunghyun cares for his well-being so strongly. "It's alright," he speaks softly, carding his fingers through Seunghyun's white hair in attempts to distract him. It doesn't work. He still stares, transfixed on the tiny red marks. "Grandmother is teaching me which herbs and flowers to pick from the forest to make up my own ointments and balms."

"Clearly it is not working. I will bring my own ointments for you to heal your skin properly." Seunghyun straightens up to his full height again and Jiyong can't ignore the uncomfortable weight that presses down on his chest the moment Seunghyun removes himself from that place. "And what of this?" Seunghyun reaches out to run his finger over a small scar on the side of his neck and without any further warning, he lifts Jiyong's dress to find another one on his hip—and by the looks of the shallowness and length of the cut it was made by the same short blade that scarred his neck. The fact remains that Jiyong must have known his attacker for them to worm themselves close enough for the blade to be able to slice his flesh open.

"A lot has happened since your disappearance," Jiyong whispers, feeling himself tremble from the effort of holding back his tears. He doesn't wish to relive that horrible moment and he certainly hoped those scars would heal before Seunghyun could discover them. He was never foolish enough to believe that he could hide them forever but he wasn't prepared for it to happen so soon. And how did he even know where to look for these fresh scars?

"I can see that." Is the only response Seunghyun gives him before completely removing himself away from Jiyong, breaking all physical contact.

The sudden disappearance of those strong, warm hands from his body leaves Jiyong feeling so weak he can barely keep himself standing. The trembling only gets worse when he sees the hardened look in Seunghyun's eyes. They're growing darker, the pupils dilating and growing wider until they almost take over completely. Jiyong knows better now than he did when they first met. He knows now that those black eyes signal the wolf is clawing his way to the surface, and if the wolf is that close to taking over, it can only mean one thing; that Seunghyun is feeling anger—towards him.

"Hey!" Jiyong isn't surprised his voice shakes with the way he is trembling all over. "Don't you get angry with me. If you're looking for someone other than my attacker to blame then it should not be me. You are the one who left me, Wolf. You left me here on my own with nowhere or nobody to run to. If you are not around to watch over and protect me, then who will? Did you honestly expect to come back and find me in the same pristine condition you left me in? I am sorry that my tainted form repels you so. If it displeases you to know of my struggles without you then do not look upon me. For they are written all over my body in permanent etchings. If you look hard enough you will see all the chinks and cracks in this fragile porcelain skin you claimed to have loved so much. If you truly wanted to keep me safe and unscathed and still in one piece then you would never have left my side. You are the one who did this to me. You are the one to blame. Not I." When Jiyong's breath hitches in his chest, he knows that he has gone far enough. The shaking only gets worse and now he can't even find the strength to stop the flow of tears. He feels like a pathetic child, shaking, gasping for air, thick tears splattering on the wooden floor, desperately leaning on this wall to stop him from collapsing in a heap on the floor.

"That boy I saw you throwing yourself at and propositioning yourself to, has he marked you in my absence?"

The harsh accusation hits Jiyong directly in chest, those heartless words growled by his wolf cut deep enough to leave an ache in his heart. Although it's excruciating to be spoken to in such a way, it's the push Jiyong needs to shove himself away from this wall. "I have done no such thing," Jiyong stands his ground, gritting his teeth at the thought he even has to defend himself. "If you honestly believe I could sink so low and betray our love in such a way, then you should leave! But just for your information, that boy's father is the wheat farmer and my parents wish for me to hold a close friendship with him for our benefit."

"You still didn't answer my question, Red." Seunghyun presses Jiyong up against the wall and now they're pressed face to face, Jiyong notices his eyes have completely turned black once more. "Has he touched you? Have you been promised off to him while I was away?" For a moment, he hesitates, and Jiyong thinks maybe just maybe the wolf's control is slipping but the grip on his waist is just as possessive as ever. "Tell me you are not engaged to be married."

"I'm not." It's easier to lie and do as the wolf asks of him. Besides, he doesn't know what the point of telling him would be when it's not something that Jiyong intends on going through with at all, especially now that his wolf is back. Not to mention, Jiyong doesn't know how well the wolf can control his temper. Of course he's been nothing but sweet and protective of him thus far but there's no way of telling how he would react to something like this; hearing that his beloved has been sworn off to become someone else's husband. With no escape and those cold, black eyes glaring at him, Jiyong's instincts scream at him to get out of the wolf's hold. No amount of squirming can free him from those strong hands pinning him to the wall and for a moment, Jiyong truly fears the power his wolf possesses.

"Answer my first question, Red. Has he marked you?"

"He has not!" Jiyong cries out, startling himself at the sting of hot tears leaking from the corner of his eyes. "Of course he has tried and thrown himself at me time and time again but as with all the other's, I turn them down!" Now that he's started, Jiyong can't fight back the flow of tears, not even noticing that Seunghyun has loosened his grip. "Do you think I like it?! The stares I get and the men who think I am their property? It makes me feel sick to my stomach the way I'm treated but without you here, I'm left to defend myself. I know you were watching me just now," Jiyong pushes Seunghyun's hands away from him and reaches for the chain around his neck. "This is why he touched me," he holds it up to Seunghyun's face, dangling the silver ring he left in Jiyong's possession. "Everyone in the village knows I wear a chain and everyone in the village is curious to know why, what am I concealing from them. I never take it off, not even to bathe," Jiyong pauses to catch his breath, wiping furiously at the tears falling down his cheeks. "I'm too afraid to lose it because if I do then I will..."

"You will lose me," Seunghyun finishes for him. The sight of his tiny Red cowering from him and breaking down in to sobs shatters his strength. Tears threaten to spill over from his own eyes at the thought of his Red always resting the ring over his heart—hopelessly longing to return it back to its rightful owner. "My precious boy, I am so sorry." Seunghyun turns away from him, partly to conceal the guilt written across his face but also to avoid the hurt in Jiyong's eyes.

It's moments like these which Seunghyun has been fearing right from the very start; this is the reason he always watched Red from the shadows and never came too close. The closer he gets, the more it's inevitable he will hurt him. True, the more time he spends in Jiyong's presence, the easier it is to control the urges of the wolf and the stronger he becomes. This tiny, fragile human is bringing out the human side to himself which he thought was long lost but how long can Seunghyun continue to take the gamble? Does he risk Jiyong's life each and every time they are together? Can they have a life together without bloodshed?

"Kiss me, please." Comes the quiet plea from behind him and Seunghyun whips around to see his tear-stained Red trembling like a leaf. "I may not be able to read minds but I do know what goes on inside that complex and loud head of yours, Wolf. I know the worries you harbour, I know the concerns you carry, I know the doubts that plague your mind for I share the same fears. But for the last time, I do not care for the risks. Now close this distance between us and come here and kiss me. Kiss me until I'm breathless."

It wasn't often that Seunghyun found himself fighting back tears, in fact, he's certain he can count those times on one hand… but the sight of Jiyong silently crying, waiting for him, desperate to chase away both of their insecurities, causes one or two stray tears to spill over. When Jiyong blinks away more tears, Seunghyun crosses the room so swiftly that he's standing before him when he opens his eyes. It's not an immediate, rushed, messy kiss that takes over them; instead, Seunghyun takes his time to brush away each stray lock of chestnut hair and carefully wipes away each tear with his thumb. No matter how many tears he collects, they don't seem to stop and it takes him by surprise that he can't seem to stop his own flow of tears. Knowing that only one thing can stop them both from crying, Seunghyun cautiously wraps his arm around Jiyong's middle and pulls his small frame against him. The sudden movement sends Jiyong's balance off and he topples into Seunghyun's chest, shaking hands latching on to his shirt.

With his Red dipped backwards, Seunghyun leans closer but still refrains from kissing him just yet. During all their time spent apart, Seunghyun had been haunted by Jiyong's deep, warm, brown eyes that somehow sparkle so brightly, it surely must be magic. They spend a few moments, both breathlessly waiting to be kissed, simply staring at each other, the stray tear or two slipping down flushed cheeks. When Jiyong's lips tremble—fighting back the threat of new tears or attempting to voice his request again, Seunghyun couldn't be entirely sure—he finally relents and closes that final gap between them. One of them gasps and the other whines at the back of their throat, lips gently parting to deepen the kiss. Seunghyun cups Jiyong's cheek in his palm, angling the boy's head to drink more of him in and he can feel unsteady hands loosen their hold on his shirt, only to slowly slide over his shoulders and rest there weakly. He can feel the strength disappear from Jiyong's body the longer they kiss and he's left no choice but to support his entire weight in his arms. Something tells Seunghyun that he can go longer without new oxygen to the brain than Jiyong can but even he is beginning to feel light headed for reasons other than the mind-blowing kiss. Jiyong's lips no longer press back to his kisses and his hands begin to slip from his shoulders, giving Seunghyun no choice but to end their kiss with one last, soft press of their lips.

Even when their kiss has broken, Seunghyun still can't seem to bring himself to open his eyes again and it's no secret that he can never get enough of his Little Red so to ease away the painful loss of their kiss, he presses their cheeks together. Seunghyun happily nuzzles against Jiyong's cheek, keening at the feather-light touches to the nape of his neck when Jiyong musters enough strength to loop his arms around Seunghyun's neck. With careful movements, Seunghyun slowly straightens up and corrects Jiyong's posture until he no longer has to bear the brunt of his boneless body. Now that the spark between them has ignited again it can't be blown out. The pair remain locked in each other's embrace, eyes tightly closed to shut out the rest of the world and lose themselves in the long-forgotten warmth of each other's arms.

"How can I make you understand…" Jiyong whispers, arching on to the tips of his toes to press his lips to Seunghyun's red-tipped ears. "If I am to die by your hands, then so be it. We cannot change the course our lives are on together, we can only follow the path. I sign my death away to you."

Although it isn't easy for Seunghyun to reach this place of acceptance, he listens to his Red's words and tightens his hold on that skinny frame until he can almost hear the bones creak in protest. "Then I accept our fates. Our lives are locked together and no matter how hard I may try to untangle your lifeline from mine, there is no way to sever our tie. If I am to carry out my days alone after your passing, then so be it." Seunghyun finally peaks his eyes open and draws back just enough to tip Jiyong's chin up, waiting to see those sparkling brown eyes open up at him. And when they do, Seunghyun chuckles breathlessly before giving Jiyong a rare smile—the kind of smile that shows his dimples and has his eyes crinkling at the edges. There's no teasing smirk or menacing sharp teeth, there is only unwavering affection held in those brilliantly blue eyes. "Do you realise that you take my breath away every time you look at me like that?" Seunghyun murmurs, branding the words against Jiyong's parted lips.

"Would you like me to breathe the life back in to you then?" Jiyong asks with a glint in his eyes.

"And how do you propose to do that?" There's that familiar quirk to the corner of Seunghyun's mouth, inching his kitten-shaped lips into a half-grin.

"With another kiss…" Jiyong smiles mischievously and leads Seunghyun over to his bed. The boy tries his best not to give his boldness a second thought as he presses down on Seunghyun's shoulders until he plonks himself down, rather ungracefully. When Jiyong giggles at his wolf's adorably stunned behaviour, Seunghyun glares playfully at him and tugs him down on to the mattress, earning a delighted squeal from the boy.

"Well… where is my life-breathing kiss?" Seunghyun locks his arms around Jiyong and flips them over until the small boy is pinned beneath him. With a delighted hum, Seunghyun doesn't wait a moment longer and flicks his tongue over Jiyong's bottom lip before it into his mouth to gently nibble on the plump flesh. A wicked smirk appears on his lips and without warning he releases Jiyong's now swollen lip, only to swoop back down and across his sealed lips several times.

Bringing a hand up to cover his mouth, to protect it from any more wolfy and also to muffle the sounds of his delighted giggles, Jiyong tries to roll away from Seunghyun but to no avail. His wolf is much too strong and is no longer willing to let his grip ease up, even for one moment. "You simply cannot help yourself can you?"

"When it comes to you, no," Seunghyun grins as his hands smooth down over Jiyong's body to rest at his waist, thumbs rubbing along the edge of his ribcage concealed beneath the tightly laced corset. "But in which regard are you specifically referring to?" he asks with a curious tilt of his head.

Jiyong swears if his wolf had furry ears, they would have twitched in curiosity and he can't fight back the next bubbling burst of giggles. "No matter how hard you tried, I do not think you could ever fully eradicate your wolfish-tendencies. The way you across my lips and nuzzle into my cheek and keen at my touch… there is no doubting you are my wolf."

The tight pull to Seunghyun's brow tells Jiyong that he is not entirely comfortable with that notion but Jiyong adores those qualities because they are what makes his love so unique. Somehow, his eyes must have conveyed that message across because just as quickly as it appears, Seunghyun's frown is gone and replaced with a gentle smile that makes his blue eyes shine with affection. A silence falls over them as they curl around each other, completely unaware of how quickly time has caught up with them.

Without having to glance outside the window, Seunghyun's instincts silently remind him that dawn is steadily approaching. The prickle at the nape of his neck, the itching behind his ears, they're all reminders that every second by his Little Red's side is numbered. Seunghyun should consider them both lucky that his wolf is the strongest of all of them and if he wishes to remain safe from the villagers, and keep his Red safe, then it is wise to take his leave sooner rather than later.

"I wanted to stay a little while longer but the sun will be rising in a few short hours," Seunghyun explains, murmuring quietly as he tracks Jiyong's scent in the crook of his neck. "And if you hope to gain any sleep tonight, then I should take my leave."

Jiyong's eyes remain closed, the boy refusing to lift his head from where it's settled over Seunghyun's heart. "Come back to me." The wolf opens his mouth to agree but with no promise of when, when Red latches on to his shirt forcefully and stares up at him through tear-filled eyes. "Come back to me, tomorrow night. Say you will, please."

"So soon, Red..." Seunghyun tries his best to placate him, using a soothing tone and combing his fingers through his hair. Even without his advantage of heightened sense, Seunghyun would be able to see that Jiyong is working himself up over their next parting.

"If I don't see you again this soon then my heart will surely believe you have left again."

"Then I shall be here tomorrow night. If that's what you want."

"What I want is for you to tell me that you can't bear one day without me, the same way I can't bear to be away from you."

"My heart rips itself in two every time I leave your side, my darling. Keep that other half of my heart safe for me until tomorrow night."

When Seunghyun leans in to place a lingering kiss between his brows, Jiyong closes his eyes and doesn't dare to open them again. When the sound of the door closing reaches his ears, Jiyong feels his heart split in two and he clings on to that half Seunghyun leaves with him to keep his heart beating throughout the remainder of the night.

 


 

A/N: My new years resolution was to waffle on less in these things. But oh well. So a few things... firstly, I apologise for how long this took me to post. I hadn't anticipated it would talk this long to edit part II and get it ready but alas, a few unexpected life troubles got in the way. I had hoped to share this with you sooner and I am sorry for that. I'm unsure how long the third and final part (to this 'Winter' of their story) will take me but again, I am aiming for the 1-2 week mark.

Secondly, I know it may feel like a whole heap of nothing happens in this update and it all reads as filler. But sorry not sorry. I love filler. And I think all filler is important and plays a role in telling the character's stories. This was eight thousand words of pure emotion and back-story. It was painful and draining for me to write and I can honestly say I left some small piece of my heart in this chapter.

Thirdly! I am SO excited! Because I FINALLY get to share something truly beautiful with all of you. Something I have been itching and dying to share. I believe most, if not all, of you should be familiar with youngbabuu and her gorgeous gtop and big bang fanart. Well... the two of us have been scheming and brainstorming for far longer than either of us would care to admit. And we finally have something to share with you. I would have loved to give you this visual at the start of the chapter but I would have to ruin your imagination as you read the scene. Although, once this fanart gets out, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who see it before they read the scene. But oh well! There aren't enough words in the English language to even begin to describe how grateful I am to my Cassie~bear for bringing my characters to life. Never forget that you made me cry when I first saw this drawing. Little Red and Seungwolf are yours now too, Wolf Cub ♡ 

or click here for SUPERSIZE fanart ^.~

...And just when I think I've finished waffling on about nothing... I forget to mention that I am attempting to keep a tumblr account. I'm trying to focus on me, and my needs, and my inspiration, and my own positivity. So I'm not overly concerned about followers or notes or any of that. If anyone feels curious I'm over here~ lapetitemort-bb this will be a way to share some of the creative process with everyone and also, if you've ever wanted to talk to me, about anything! My fics, the characters, an idea, a prompt whatever... you can do it here ^^ that goes to you too, silent readers <3

One last thing: my playlist I have always written this story to these songs, since the very first version. I hear these songs and immediately, I'm transported to their world.