More Than a Kiss

Baby

Minseok and Ji Eun were sitting over burgers and fries. Ji Eun scowled as she tried to prove how wrong he was.

“They do not!”

“They do too!” he said. She rolled her eyes.

“You know what, I’ll look it up.”

“You do that,” he said sticking out his tongue. “Let’s see. How many are there?”

She smirked. “There’s…one hundred…and…twenty-seven.”

“I’m sorry, what did you say? I couldn’t hear you over your pride.” She grimaced and conked him on the head with her phone. “Ow!”

“Okay, okay. Okay! So there’s more than forty-eight members in AKB48, big deal!” she said, throwing up her hands.

“I told you, but did you wanna listen? Noooo.” She scowled at him again. He shrugged it off and put his arm over her shoulder. “That’s alright, baby, don’t worry about it.”

She rolled her eyes, moving his arm away from herself. “I told you, I’m not your ‘baby,’ so stop calling me that.” He shrank away sheepishly.

“Sorry.” He rubbed his arm nervously. He looked over at her as she checked her phone. The sunlight highlighted the sheen on her hair and illuminated the contours of her face. She was quite angelic. He shook the feeling. No need to melt into a puddle.

Ji Eun looked over at him. He was running his hands through his hair with a perplexed look on his face.

“What are you doing?” she asked. He jerked his head and was in instant agony. “Ah, .” Ji Eun got up and sat next to him, trying to massage his sore spot. “Way to go,”

“I blame you,” he shot back. She smiled as she adjusted her woolen cap. Her sweater was nearly falling off of her shoulders, but inside the restaurant she didn’t care. She just wanted him to stop whining. Also popping a blood vessel in your neck is painful, so…she could relate.

“Stop whining, it’ll be over soon.” She said, vigorously massaging his neck. Slowly, Minseok began to relax. He looked over at her and smiled.

“I’d ask, ‘what would I do without you,’ but I know the answer would be ‘not have that happen in the first place.’” Ji Eun rolled her eyes.

“Whatever, your life would be boring without me.” She stuck out her tongue. Minseok rolled his eyes, but how true it was. She was a burst of color in his monochromatic world. He hadn’t been this happy in a long time.

*****

Ji Eun swung her arm wildly back and forth, intertwining her fingers with Minseok’s. It was late November now, and it was super chilly. She’d finally had to put away her jackets and bring out her fluffy coat. Her scarf was wound around her neck twice, and her hat covered everything but her eyes. It was only 50 degrees (F) outside, but Minseok still looked at her with a soft, wistful gaze.

Her eyes fluttered from beneath her layers of clothing. They were the color of the earth kissed by the spring rains, a hue that promised to spring forth life from dormant seeds, buried deep within. He could feel himself blooming in their wake. He decided that now was the time.

“Ji Eun,” he said, turning to her. She pulled her scarf down low enough that she could uncover . She smiled, melting his heart like chocolate in the palm of your hand.

“Yeah, what’s up?” she said, adjusting her hat. He bit his lip. His heart was pounding. He could feel the blood rushing, pounding in his ears.

“I was, uh, wondering, y’know. It’s been awhile…” Ji Eun looked down; she could feel her face turning rather hot.

Oh lord, what is this boy doing?’ she asked. He dug in his pocket for a moment. ‘Boy, don’t do it, don’t do it, don’t do it, DON’T. DO IT.’ She could feel herself practically screaming in her head. On the outside she just smiled awkwardly. She could hear a rustling of paper. Perhaps a sonnet?

Minseok got down on his knee. Nope. Definitely not a sonnet. He cupped his hands. “We’ve been together for a while now, and I was wondering, Ji Eun,” he said, looking up at her with hopeful, puppy-dog eyes, “if you’d go steady with me?” he unfolded his hands to reveal a Ring Pop.

Ji Eun let out a long breath that sounded like a dying seal. “Lord, dammit Minseok, you gave me a ing heart attack!” she said, rolling over onto the grass, laughing so hard that tears began to stream out of her eyes.

“That still doesn’t answer my question, though.” He said, pushing the candy ring forward. Ji Eun wiped the tears from her eyes. She smiled at him, and looked at the candy to her boyfriend.

“Of course I will, you .” She held out her left hand. Minseok unwrapped the candy and placed the ‘ring’ on her finger. The big blue-raspberry candy glistened in the autumn sun.

“Now it’s official.” She kissed him, wrapping her arms around his neck, making sure her candy ring didn’t hit his head and get hair all over it.

“Not yet.” She pulled out her phone. They posed as she took a photo to post on her Instagram,

He put a ring on it.’ She captioned as she uploaded the photo. She turned around and kissed him again, her hands on his shoulders as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

But this time she felt, that it was more than just a kiss. Rather, a promise.

 

END OF CHAPTER 6

 

Sorry for such a small chapter. I've been so busy. I hope you enjoy it! Have a nice day. 

Edit: 2/2/17 I actually published this chapter sometime this summer but never realized that it was hidden until now. I'm actually working on the next chapter, but I've been busy with university classes. I'M SO SORRY Y'ALL ;^;