First Encounter

Baby

Kim Minseok leaned up against a tree, looking into the courtyard of the campus. Everyone was rushing about, worried about one exam or the other. But why? School didn't test your knowledge. It tested your memorization skills. Whoo hoo, you have a good memory. Here's a piece of paper, now go waste your life in a factory, because chances are, your particular piece of paper means nothing in the real world.

To be honest, he did care. A lot. He was taking night classes himself. During the day, he worked on campus, taking care of the school grounds, performing maintenance and janitorial duties, which helped pay his tuition, not to mention he was able to live on campus for free. He lit a cigarette, clenching it between his teeth. He watched on as a group of freshman girls passed by. One turned to look at him briefly, and then turned back to her friends. He sighed as he looked at his watch. 8:45. Time to get the lawnmower. Hopefully nobody would be straddling behind as he got ready to mow the campus lawn.

*****

Lee Ji Eun walked towards the campus, late again. 'Damn it,' she thought to herself, 'only the fifth time this month. He probably thinks I'm slacking on purpose.' She untied the strings to her apron and shoved it in the front pocket of her backpack.

She tripped over her shoelace as she reached the steps. "Ah!" She fell, spilling the contents of her backpack on the pavement.

"!" She exclaimed, glad that no one was around to see that. Or so she thought. The lawnmower she had heard in the distance had stopped. She looked back, and didn't see anyone. But she almost jumped out of her skin when she looked forward and saw a man standing before her.

Her face flushed red. "Ah, you again?" It was the groundskeeper. She never could remember his name, but she felt small whenever he looked at her. She might have never remembered his name, but his gaze was always recognizable.

"I-I'm sorry, sir." He scoffed at her.

"Sir?" He let out a sarcastic laugh. He shook his head. "I'm not that much older than you, believe me," he said crossing his arms. "There's no need for such formalities."

"What do I, what do I. Call you then?" She asked, shoving the last of her things into her backpack.

"What's your name, girl?" He asked. Ji Eun moved her bangs out from in front of her eyes. "Lee Ji Eun. And you are?"

"Kim Minseok. You're late." He said, the first bell of the day went off. Ji Eun's eyes widened. "Oh no!" She cried, dashing into the building. Minseok shook his head. 'Freshman.'