Separate

It (does)n’t happen - sunder -

 

 

 

 

It was good to be home, Jinki thought. He missed it, and duties of a soldier took a lot out of him. He stood thinner than he had been in years, stocky and broad build toned up even. He stood with a little more confidence after all the military had taught him. Even though he meet some good people, had some good times, he’s glad it’s over and he could continue his civilian life. He felt like he had so much to do- continue classes, find work, find a new home even. His plate was full.

The gathering for him today was fairly small, mostly parents and their acquaintances from the shop, older people who liked to show pride and respect to those who served.

Once Minho was spotted walking into the small welcome home party for Jinki’s discharge, the ex-soldier’s grin spread and his heart fluttered, having missed him most of all while away. The moment almost seemed slow, something out of those sappy love stories, and if he could get away with running up to him and yank him into a kiss that could express everything easier than words, Jinki would. Really, he wanted to pick up somewhere we they had left off.

Minho really did look like a beautiful person, more than Jinki remembered, as if something had changed and he glowed a bit brighter than before.

When Jinki first laid eyes on Hyojin walking in beside Minho though, Jinki’s heart leaped. He suddenly remembered everything then. He told himself it was because he was exited to finally meet the woman, Minho’s girlfriend, never able to actually see the her during his seventeen months away. She was beautiful, and a smile that would easily charm anyone.

On the woman’s hand was a small ring though.

Jinki hugged Minho tight, something fierce, something clinging, smile wide the whole time. His head was felt by Minho’s palms as he teased about dark hair growing back and Jinki dragged fingers through Minho’s hair that had grown long again, voice also a laughing tease. When they parted, hands lingering in a touch, Jinki spotted a band on Minho’s finger too, something like a wedding ring. His heart dropped with confusion. Minho pulled fully way then, smile small and like a shy schoolboy introducing someone special. A look familiar to Jinki but never this intense nor seen since Minho’s first ever girlfriend as a teenager.

“Hyung, this is Kim Hyojin- my wife.”

“What?” Jinki blinked, nervous habit of chewing his mouth started.

Hyojin gave a polite bow, offering a sweet smile. She stood about as tall as Jinki in her fancy heels, body’s curves and thickness a contrast to Minho’s still lanky figure.

“Did I get discharged into the far future?” Jinki looked around himself, desperate joke bad.

Minho gave a short laugh. “No hyung, this happened a bit.. uh..”

“It was sudden,” Hyojin said for Minho, hand taking his again in a supporting manner.

Minho stood stiff, looking nervous even with a genuine smile. His fingers intertwined in the hold of their hands side by side.

“I uh.. well, congratulations, huh?” He held up his glass of alcohol, giving a cheers, then manners leaving him as he gulped it all down. Eyes squeezed closed, mouth puckering, and when he opened them again he hoped it was just a dream, something to wake up from. This was too sudden, out of nowhere for Jinki to handle. Why hadn’t Minho told him? Why wasn’t he even invited? More changed than he had thought in his time away.

His time in military couldn’t have prepared him for this.

“Excuse me,” Jinki nodded, giving Minho a pat on the shoulder and a small bow in Hyojin direction. “I seem to have emptied my glass.” He stepped away.

Jinki watched from the sidelines, finding Minho smiling and laughing, hugging his newly wed wife close or hanging on her in giggles, like the two had their own inside jokes, their own little world just for two, and they really did look good together, like a happy couple. Jinki wasn’t sure how to explain what he was feeling. The simplest term would be jealousy. But it just seemed wrong, too petty. 

Jinki disappeared most the rest of the party, complaining of being tired. Any plans Jinki had in mind spending with Minho fell apart that evening. 

On Jinki’s discharge, both found they spent little time with each other anymore even though they lived in the same town again. School, a sudden marriage, family, all those sorts of things were in the way, or so they said- always too busy one or the other. Even when Haengbogi had been returned to Jinki, Minho insisting, it didn’t bring the two together much. Jinki always thought of Haengbogi as Minho’s dog, so why he would return the pet to him, Jinki didn’t understand.

Jinki realized their paths really had separated.