One

Tick Tock Goes The Clock

"Nice to meet you. My name is Choi Junhong. Please be nice to me." he says with a smile and a bow. The class stare and smile at him as a welcome. Some girls whisper and blush seeing the handsome transfer student.

"Choi Junhong, you can seat at the back beside the window," says the teacher and Junhong does as he is told. As he passes by, his new classmates wave and greet him and he returns the friendly gestures. Junhong sits down at his seat with a sigh. Just as the teacher is about to start with Mathematics, a knock on the door changes the attention of the whole towards the girl at the door.

Her hair is black, wavy and messy. Her green eyes look beautiful, almost scary when the sunlight falls on her face. Seeing her uniform and untidy hair, its almost obvious she didn't make any effort to look nice. "I'm sorry I'm late." She says in monotone. The class and teacher who seems to already used to it quickly turn their attention back to the subject. But that excludes Junhong. He stares at her as she walks through the class, on the way to her seat but she stops abruptly when she sees Junhong. He sees how her eyes are suddenly filled with questions and he gets up to introduce himself.

"I'm anew student, Choi Junhong." He says. He expects her to introduce herself but instead she asks, "What day is it?"

"It's 18th February, Song Jihye. Now will you please take a seat?" The teacher interrupts. Jihye takes in a deep breath and quickly takes her seat beside Junhong. As if nothing ever happened, she continues to sit through the class without even glancing at Junhong. On the other side, Junhong steals a glance every now and then and sometimes finds himself staring at her. There was something intriguing about Song Jihye that he can't get her out of his mind. He even contemplated on whether this is what love at first sight feels like.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

The bell rings, signing time for recess. Junhong quickly packs his stuff and turn to talk to JiHye but before he realizes it, she is already heading out the door. He sighs in disappointment and sits back in his chair.

"Relax new guy. She's always like that." The boy in front of Junhong turns around. "I'm Jung Daehyun. Nice to meet you." He holds out his hand to shake and Junhong does so. "Song JiHye is an emo. It's better to not talk to her. They say her depression is infectious." He laughs but Junhong fakes a smile at the uninteresting joke.

"He's just joking." Another guy comes to Junhong's seat. "She doesn't like to have friends for some reason. It's usual to be ignored by her." he pulls a chair to Daehyun's side and pulls out McDonald's burger. "I'm Youngjae by the way. Yoo Youngjae."

"You brought McDonalds for lunch?" Daehyun laughs and proceeds to steal a big bite of the burger.

"Really? She's like that with everybody?" He asks in disbelief.

"Unbelievably, there are people that rude in real life." Daehyun says with mouth full.Youngjae punches him in the shoulder.

"Yeah. And you're the first example of the worst friend ever." Says Youngjae. "You want some, Junhong?"

Junhong shakes his head and pull out a chocolate bar and juice carton.

"Oh, so you offer your food to someone you just met and leave your best friend to die in hunger?"

"Please. It'd take a hundred years before you even pass out in hunger."

Junhong only laughs whlie looking at his new friends fighting over a McDonalds burger.