My Joseon Prince 6

My Joseon Prince

hello, folks! Sorry it took me a while to update this fic. Laziness and school affairs aren't really a good combination hehe if you have forgotten about the happenings last chapter... just please go back to it hihi anyways, this has no beta but I really do hope you'll enjoy this update! Laters! ;)

 

xx

 

They walked next to each other in silence. After their serious conversation in the prince’s chamber, Sungmin heard someone calling for her so they were forced to sneak out of the chamber. They didn’t further discuss, no one brought it up again. There was no point in doing it.

 

Sungmin knew it was just Kyuhyun’s hunch, yet it had so much impact on her. Maybe it was because they were talking about Jongwoon, the possible past life of Yesung. Maybe it was because of the possibility of her having a past persona as well. Or maybe it was because of Kyuhyun’s last statement.

 

She wanted to correct Kyuhyun earlier. She wanted to tell him this Jongwoon man would not protect her Joseon counterpart, because if they’re indeed the same and their timelines are connected, then Jongwoon did that not to protect ‘her,’ but to protect himself. That was what Yesung did to her. Besides, Kyuhyun would have agreed with her knowing how much the prince wanted to take his rival’s life.

 

But no, she did not say anything. She would sound bitter.

 

Even when they reached home, no words were exchanged. She just prepared to go to work, and Kyuhyun, on the other hand, the laptop and played Starcraft as usual. They both calmly did their daily routines as if nothing happened that afternoon—as if they were not experiencing an internal conflict.

 

Even when Donghae arrived, they were on their normal façade, thus succeeding on not letting the younger Lee know. They may have trusted the guy on keeping Kyuhyun’s real identity, but Kyuhyun’s mission will remain between Kyuhyun and Sungmin only.

 

 


“Still can’t see anything relevant?” Sungmin asked as she stepped beside Kyuhyun. They were already on their third day of that magical thing hunting, and this was the tenth museum they visited. The first ones were the largest in Seoul, yet Kyuhyun still couldn’t find it. And there they are, trying their luck on smaller private museums.

 

Yes, they didn’t know what they were looking for. Kyuhyun thought he should just use his instincts to determine which one the shaman was pertaining to. He was sure he would just feel that was it. Men before civilization used their instincts in discovering new things, anyways, so he was certain he would find that object through the same method.

 

There were tons of artifacts he was familiar with (even if some were mere replicas), but the impact he was looking for couldn’t be felt. But surrendering wasn’t included in his vocabulary, so he wouldn’t give up, especially that his family’s life is at stake.

 

“Regrettably,” Kyuhyun mumbled, his gaze directed to a hair pin inside a glass box. That beautiful gold and red dragon pin actually belonged to his sister Ahra. It was her husband’s wedding gift for her. The prince’s mood immediately fell at the thought of his sister and brother-in-law. They were the nicest ones in the palace, and he’s really close to the royal couple. He would do anything to protect them, especially the fruit of the couple’s love, Kyuyong.

 

“Wow that is so beautiful…” Kyuhyun heard Sungmin mumble. He found her next to him, bending forward for a clearer look at the pin, hands placed on her knees, her eyes sparkling in interest. A genuine smile formed on his lips while watching Sungmin inspect the pin. For a while he forgot the sadness filling his heart.

 

“That belongs to my older sister,” he stated, glancing back at the pin. He was glad they managed to preserve the original one. If only he could get it for him to keep… “It was her favourite for it was given by her beloved.”

 

Sungmin looked at him curiously. That wasn’t the first Kyuhyun had recognized; he had seen his father’s stuffs and writings, his mother’s clothes, and even his own. However, he wasn’t as emotional as when he saw his sister’s favorite hair pin.

 

Though she didn’t know much about Kyuhyun, Ahra is probably the most important for the young prince.

 

Kyuhyun glanced at Sungmin and almost chuckled seeing her staring at him. He was sad minutes ago, but not anymore. Even if he misses his sister a lot, he repeated in his mind the reason for his stay in this timeline, which was, of course, to save her. Truthfully, it brought back his determination.

 

The prince lifted a hand and gently flicked Sungmin’s forehead, causing for his victim to yelp in shock, and throw death glares at him. She was obviously trying to scare him, but the pout only made her cute. The expressions Sungmin makes really amused him.

 

Before she could shout at him, Kyuhyun turned to the other side and walked away with an idiotic grin on his face. He laughed lightly while listening to Sungmin’s restrained whines. It’s his revenge when Sungmin left him to carry the heavy grocery bags.

 

As he continued exploring the small place, a glass box at a corner caught his interest. It looked isolated and it lacked spotlights to attract viewers. It didn’t seem to be a restricted area, though.

 

Curiously, he made his way towards that particular glass box to find out what’s in it. Judging from the sudden fast beating of his heart, it was related to him. Was that the thing he was looking for? Was it really in there?

 

He was a few meters away from it. He was already there; so near to that thing that would probably solve his problem. Why was he hesitating? Why did it feel like there was some force pulling him away from him, but at the same time, some other force was pulling him towards it? Which should he let dominate him?

 

Without further deliberation, he stepped towards the glass box.

 

But he immediately froze on his spot after seeing what’s inside. This could not be happening… he thought. This is not right

 

“Kyuhyun-ssi?” He was snapped out of his trace hearing Sungmin call from behind him. He looked at her with wide unsettled eyes, thus worrying the woman with him. “What’s wrong?” Sungmin asked him.

 

She was walking towards him, and it panicked him noticing that Sungmin was trying to peek on what’s behind him. Sungmin got curious as to what was at the back of the prince that made him pale. But no, Kyuhyun thought, Sungmin should not see that yet. No one should.

 

Kyuhyun grinned sheepishly, spinning Sungmin’s body to the back and pushed her, far away from that corner. “Fret no more! It was of no importance, woman!” The prince knew Sungmin didn’t believe him because she was still trying to see what Kyuhyun was hiding; therefore he already led her out of the museum even if they have just explored half of the place.

 

“What was that all about?” Sungmin’s pitch was high. She had her hands on her waist and she was releasing heavy breaths, trying to calm herself. What was wrong with Kyuhyun, anyways? She was just going to take a look at that artifact but Kyuhyun pushed her away. Then she remembered pushing him out of the supermarket to avoid a scandal. Kyuhyun may have done the same thing to her. What was he hiding?

 

However, she received no response. Her gaze softened seeing Kyuhyun staring at the ground, frowning. It must have been because of what he was hiding. It must have brought painful memories to Kyuhyun for him to react that way. She knew how he was feeling. She always felt that way whenever she came across any of her mother’s precious possessions.

 

She realized the sky was quite dark already. “Let’s call it a day.” She announced, finally catching the troubled prince’s attention.

 

Sungmin smiled. “You know, I just realized I haven’t given you a proper tour yet.”

 

~0~

 

Sungmin giddily boarded the bus the moment its doors opened, but Kyuhyun just stood outside watching her. Noticing this, Sungmin tsk-ed and forcefully pulled Kyuhyun inside, causing for the guy to almost trip. Sorry, she was not sorry.

 

Because the bus was jam-packed, Sungmin did not let go of Kyuhyun’s wrist as they walk to the center, constantly bumping against people. Kyuhyun, being the bastard kid he is, did not even apologize and just glared at everyone, especially at Sungmin. Once settled, Sungmin smiled widely at the grumpy prince, reaching for his cheek to lightly pinch it using her free hand. “Cheer up! It will be your first time riding a bus, enjoy it!”

 

They only rode cabs so far because they need to get on the museums as fast as possible. That would be quite impossible to do if they ride the bus. But Sungmin’s wallet was crying already.

 

“This place is overcrowded,” Kyuhyun’s glare hardened, frowning more when someone bumped on him, “Moreover, being touched is certainly not appreciated.” Kyuhyun hissed as he pushed Sungmin’s hand away from his face. Sungmin did not find it offensive, though, for she was still wearing a mischievous smile. Kyuhyun didn’t like it.

 

“Hold on.” Sungmin told the prince while she made the latter hold on the handle hanging on the metal rails before letting go and hold on the yellow pole next to her. But Kyuhyun was still too busy cursing Sungmin and all the other people in his mind that his grip was loose. Therefore, when the bus began moving, he lost his balance and stumbled on Sungmin whose back was pressed on the pole because of it.

 

If he didn’t instinctively grip the pole, his face would have touched Sungmin. In a more detailed explanation, he would have kissed Sungmin’s forehead already. In fact, it crossed his mind that it wouldn’t be that bad if it happened.

 

Kyuhyun immediately stood up straight looking at everywhere but Sungmin. He knew his cheeks are the shade of pink already, judging from how warm his face was. Why wouldn’t he react that way? It was the closest contact he had made with a woman, as far as he could recall. Women weren’t really allowed to hold him unless the servants are dressing him up. That encounter with Sungmin, it was different. It was normal that he didn’t know what to do, wasn’t it?

 

Suddenly, the vehicle halted, causing for everyone to trip forward, thankfully, Kyuhyun was able to clutch on the handle for support. But in all honesty, Kyuhyun didn’t know why he held Sungmin’s waist. In instinct, perhaps?

 

Sungmin could feel Kyuhyun’s unsteady heartbeat which reflected hers. She stood there, leaning on her companion, frozen. She liked the warmth emanating from the guy and she liked how Kyuhyun firmly wrapped his arm on her waist. Though his chest was not that broad and his arm was lanky, she liked the contact. She had never felt such security from anyone after Yesung.

 

If only time would stop so she could relish the moment. Never mind that they’re in public. Never mind that it was embarrassing. Never mind that it was Kyuhyun, the bastard, hugging her. Never mind that the scene looked too cheesy and clichéd. Never mind that Kyuhyun and she aren’t lovers for them to be in such act. She just liked being in someone’s embrace which she hadn’t felt for three years now.

 

“Hold on.” Kyuhyun whispered on Sungmin’s ear in his quite teenage husky voice. It was as if puberty hit the prince late; as if he wasn’t an eighteen-year old guy. Though, Sungmin thought Kyuhyun’s voice was really nice and… well, y.

 

She blushed, knowing that Kyuhyun just repeated what she told him before the ride.

 

And so she pushed Kyuhyun away and stood straight, facing the window for she also needed to hide her blushing face. She made sure this time her hold on the handrail was secure so the incident wouldn’t happen again.

 

Sungmin didn’t know if she should be relieved or not that Kyuhyun was distancing from her since then. She chose to believe it was the former.

 

However, the tense atmosphere vanished completely the moment they stepped down the bus. The sky was dark already; which the two failed to notice until they got out for they were too busy avoiding another awkward contact. But colorful street lamps gave life to the place where citizens start business.

 

This reminded Kyuhyun of the marketplace in his kingdom during festivals. A sight like this was rare in his time, only could be experienced when there are events, unlike in the future, one could appreciate such lively aura every night. Back there, he was always disguised as a commoner with Hankyung, and as much as the two wanted to enjoy the festivity, they had to be cautious all the time from getting caught and attacked. Being the Crowned Prince removed his right to enjoy with lots of people.

 

But now, here in the future, here in Seoul, here with Sungmin, he could be himself and enjoy without worrying about his safety.

 

As Sungmin mindlessly dragged him to different spots, making him try dishes he saw for the first time, the wide smile on his face wasn’t wiped out the entire time. Each dish tasted alien on his tongue; nonetheless, he liked everything and even asked for more. Sungmin was more than willing to comply.

 

Kyuhyun wouldn’t deny anymore that he preferred this side of Sungmin—the cheerful and worry-free Sungmin. She’s more beautiful when she smiles.

 

“You should smile often.” Kyuhyun uttered even before it registered in his mind. He just voiced out his thoughts and it shouldn’t be. He wished the ground would swallow him due to embarrassment. He swore he had a stupid grin on his face.

 

Sungmin looked back at him, and his heart thumped on his chest wildly anticipating for her reaction. He almost sighed in relief when it only made the woman’s smile go wider, her bright eyes shining beautifully as if reflecting the night lights around them. Was it possible to fall in love with someone’s eyes?

 

Han River was the last on Sungmin’s itinerary. She thought it was a good decision to make it last seeing the awe on Kyuhyun’s handsome face. She almost had the same reaction during the first time she went to the same place during night time—five years ago, with Yesung, ironically. She didn’t go out much when she was still young, and her father have placed a curfew on her so she would always go straight home from school.

 

She went to this place immediately after getting freedom from her authoritarian of a father, of course with her boyfriend that time. But after they broke up, she stopped coming to this place. It was kind of nice going back, even though the memories created are bitter. Maybe it was a sign of creating better memories.

 

They sat on the grass and played. It was a game where one would get to ask a question and whatever that may be, the other should answer, and then it’s the other’s turn next. They just realized they know so little of each other, yet they’re going to work on Kyuhyun’s mission together. In order to establish teamwork, for Kyuhyun, they have to establish a better relationship first. They don’t need to be similar; they just have to know when and how to adjust to one another’s differences.

 

They began with the basics: like favorite color, food, music, and such. They could only laugh at how they didn’t have a single similarity on their interests, and they sometimes argue when they don’t agree to the other’s opinion. But when the game got too long and boring, Sungmin switched to a more serious topic.

 

 “Are you close to your sister?” Sungmin asked, remembering the incident back at the museum.

 

Kyuhyun's eyes softened. “Yes.”

 

Kyuhyun’s parents were too busy with national affairs, so it was Ahra who had taken care of Kyuhyun. He grew up being babied by his sister, so he was used to her presence. But that changed the moment Princess Ahra was wedded to General Siwon.

 

They didn’t see each other frequently lately for Ahra’s family were situated in China for studying and just when she went back home, the attack happened. It had been hard on Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun laughed seeing the pitying look on Sungmin’s face after narrating his story with his sister. He ruffled her hair, causing for the woman to pout cutely at him. He also liked this ‘aegyo’ side of Sungmin. On where he learned the term aegyo, you’d have to ask a certain Lee Donghae.

 

“What happened between you and Jongwoon’s replica?”

 

Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun for a while. She knew the prince was talking about Yesung, but she did not expect for Kyuhyun to ask that. She thought he was not interested because it was ‘Jongwoon’s replica.’ He already knew of their past relationship, anyway, so she thought it would be okay to tell him everything. They were ‘getting-to-know’ each other, after all.

 

Sungmin met Jongwoon when she was a sophomore in high school. Jongwoon was an alumnus of her school, a sophomore back then as well, but in college. She was a member of the student council and the leader of the team working with the alumni for arranging a homecoming. Jongwoon was the leader of his batch, so that’s how they knew each other.

 

She had this ‘love-at-first-sight moment’ with Yesung, just because he was her ideal man—handsome, talented yet mysterious. He was just like those leading men in the shoujo manga she had read. Though after the party, she gave up on the thought of getting to know Yesung more since the man was only talking to her for official purposes. That was why when he asked her out the night after the party, she was overjoyed. Turns out, Yesung also fancied her after spending some time with her.

 

Yesung was kind, thoughtful and funny. They got along too well, and she found it comfortable in spilling all her secrets to him. Thankfully, Yesung understood everything and accepted her as she was. She was madly in love with the man.

 

They became officially a couple on Sungmin’s last year in high school, but it was kept a secret because of her father and because Yesung began training under a big entertainment company. The next year, Sungmin claimed freedom from her father and lived with Yesung. They were young and foolish, so they did whatever they liked without minding its consequences. She was able to enter her dream university under her dream course using a scholarship, but, as Mr. Lee refused to finance her studies, she and Yesung had to work for their survival. Plus, even with scholarship, film school is a big pain in the wallet… and .

 

It was fun and memorable at first. Yesung was sweet and she was supportive of his chosen career. They complement one another perfectly. She would make their dinner and Yesung would come home tired from training, but will have a wide smile on his face once he sees her. They were like a married couple then. However, another year passed and Yesung broke up with her because he will already debut as a soloist and he doesn’t need a scandal. Idols should not date—at least publicly—because devoted fans would throw a fit. Plus, Yesung would eventually have to move out.

 

She would understand if they would continue keeping their relationship in the dark; she really would. Yesung didn’t have to end everything, especially that they’ve just started and she’s still vulnerable. Why do the people she cherished the most leave her? Was she that unlovable?

 

Despite everything, she convinced herself that she would be strong for herself as she would definitely not go back to the mansion. She would pursue the path she had chosen and kick asses, with or without Yesung, him. She moved out as well to her current apartment, and that’s where she met Sunny.

 

All along she thought she was alright; that she was moving on. But she wasn’t, really. Seeing Yesung’s face on malls and billboards, and hearing his voice on the radio and TV brought back painful memories which she believed she had erased. If it weren’t for Donghae’s support, she would have gone crazy. Her baby brother had been by her side all the time, cheering her when she achieves something and comforting her when she makes mistakes. That’s why she wouldn’t know what to do once her brother would be taken away from her as well.

 

“Do you still bear feelings for him?” Kyuhyun asked after letting minutes of silence pass between them. It was a question Donghae had asked her millions of times, and she had always arrived at one answer: no. Even the oblivious Donghae knew she was lying, what more with this genius prince?

 

They were still in their game, though. “Hey, it’s my turn to ask.” She teased, causing for the younger to roll his eyes.

 

Kyuhyun nodded at her, his face calm and emotionless. “Ask right away.”

 

“Did you leave a lover there in Joseon—”

 

“No.” Kyuhyun answered immediately, much to her dismay, and he repeated his previous question. “Do you still love Jongwoon’s replica?”

 

She could only groan and palm her face. Why was Kyuhyun so eager and curious about her love life? “Gee, stop calling him that,” she mumbled against her palm. Yesung is not Jongwoon. She then removed it and kept her gaze towards her lap. “I don’t know if I still love him.” It was almost a whisper, but due to the serenity of the place, she was sure Kyuhyun heard her. It felt weird admitting that to someone after so many years of denying it.

 

In all fairness, she did think that her love for Yesung disappeared the moment he disappeared in her life, too. But when he appeared again, it was like her feelings appeared, as well.

 

When Kyuhyun opened his mouth, probably for a follow-up question, Sungmin snatched the phone from the prince’s hand to turn on its camera, and then activated the front lens. Kyuhyun had his eyes widened as Sungmin scooted next to him—dangerously close to him—because whenever Sungmin was close, he felt like he was about to have a heart attack.

 

Kyuhyun gasped as Sungmin slung an arm on his nape as if she was being scandalous. “No one dares touch the prince!” He tried prying Sungmin off of him, but the brunette was too persistent.

 

“I’m the princess of my family so I can touch you.” She grinned smugly and then pointed at the phone in front of them. Kyuhyun was shocked to see his and Sungmin’s image on the screen; with Sungmin smiling widely while he had his eyes narrowed. He slowly leaned closer to the phone, getting amazed when his image did the same action. It was like a mirror, he thought.

 

Sungmin couldn’t help but giggle while watching Kyuhyun curiously examine their moving images that his eyes and nose already dominated the screen. She laughed hard when Kyuhyun pressed the shutter button for several times and he instantly moved away from it, looking at her in horror and cluelessness.

 

She could make good use of Kyuhyun’s naivety for entertainment purposes.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED