My Joseon Prince 2

My Joseon Prince

CHAPTER 2

 

It was a normal afternoon in the university. Students who belong to the morning classes had gradually flocked out of the school to proceed to their own non-school related activities; hanging out at the mall, shopping, gaming, going to cafes, or simply heading home.

 

Not everyone, though.

 

"I'm late! I'm late!"

 

One student, clad in a mint green sweater with a white thin-strapped cloth underneath and matched with a pair of dark skinny jeans and white sneakers, was muttering while running fast and checking her pink wristwatch. She clicked her tongue in annoyance and clutched on the four incredibly thick books in her arms which were starting to fall off. Seriously, why did the review of literature has to be passed within the week?!

 

She had to be in the company building in four thirty in the afternoon. She'd been serving as an accomplice to the famous SBS historical drama director Park Leeteuk for her thesis about the applying of the present situation to the making of historical dramas. Afterwards, she'll head to her part-time job at a fast food chain.

 

The hands of the watch were formed to an obtuse angle, the smaller arrow pointed at 4, while the longer one just reached 12.

 

4:00. She needed a miracle to attend the meeting on-time. It usually took her five minutes to go to the bus stop, and the ride to SBS took thirty minutes. Most of the times, she had to wait for a bus to arrive for five minutes. She didn't bring enough money with her to take the cab. Damn thesis professor.

 

With her eyes still glued on her watch, she ran faster than ever - thank God for her athletic background in high school. However, it seemed like luck was not on her side.

 

As a loud crashing of books on the ground and light whimpers were heard, students who were busily walking in and out of the university looked curiously at the source of the noise. Knowing who the woman whose just kissed the cement, they went back to their own businesses, not wanting to get involved.

 

"Watch where you're going!" the boy who had bumped on her yelled. His girlfriend, whose face was made a coloring book due to the thickness of makeup, beside the culprit snickered and mumbled a 'clumsy' before pulling her rude and ugly boyfriend towards the oh-so-classy business administration building without bothering looking at who they bumped to.

 

She couldn't help but scoff. It's no wonder those two were heartless people. They must have come from a very rich family owning a very large enterprise internationally. "ing egoists," she mumbled as she got up and squatted to pick up the heavy scattered books. She panicked a bit thinking if some of the pages were damaged for she had to pay for that.

 

"Yah! Why are you not helping her?! Don't you know who she is?!" A familiar voice disturbed the peaceful atmosphere in the university entrance grounds. She sighed heavily, continuing to pile the books before carrying it. She knew who the noisy boy was.

 

The girl who laughed at her stuttered. "S-Sunbae... what are you talking about?"

 

"HELP HER!" This was not the first time this happened.

 

She had expected the unknown business ad student running back to her and snatched he books she was picking up from her hands. The girl even helped her up and handed her baby pink backpack. Now that she had seen the male student closely, she noticed the lanyard which was designed for freshmen. So that's why they didn't know her.

 

She didn't bother hiding her annoyance. She pulled her books back and hugged it to her chest after settling a strap of her bag on her shoulder. Without saying thank you, she continued making her way to the bus stop, the voice of her 'savior' reprimanding the freshmen were heard.

 

Soon, she felt a heavy arm slinging on her nape, slowing her down. It was her 'protector.'

 

He had his red checkered shirt ed, showing the white wife beater to the whole of Seoul, the wind blowing his similarly brown hair dramatically like he's the lead male in a drama. They have the same doe eyes and same pointy nose, only their faces and lips differ. She looks like her mom, while the other is a carbon copy of the father.

 

The taller of the two grinned in his own childish way. "Yah, Lee Sungmin, why do you seriously let those kids bully you?" The brunet asked once the said kids were out of hearing range. She removed the arm with a grunt and walked away.

 

She talked, knowing her baby brother would follow her. "First off, Lee Donghae, stop calling me that. I am older than you. Second, they did not bully me, and they didn't know me because they're first years. Third, excuse me, I have to go." She flipped her long auburn hair to her back subconsciously as she ran away, mentally screaming for this incident took five minutes of her time.

 

Donghae, being the persistent Sungmin's baby he was, jogged next to the older and held her arm, earning him a glare from the latter. He replied with a wink. "Let your Baby Hae drive you to SBS?"

 

Her irritation faded away because Donghae drives faster than a train.

 

Lee Donghae, 19 years of age, is a sophomore in Business Administration. Being the heir to the electronics company of the famous Lee Family, plus his princely looks, he got popular in the entire university, thus becoming one of the 'authorities' in campus, including his best friends, Hyukjae, Junsu and Yunho. Sungmin's two years older.

 

Though they aren't living together since Sungmin entered college, they were still close. They see each other in school, they send random text messages, they would call each other whenever they were missed, and most of the times, Donghae would pester her in the apartment. They were still part of each other's daily life.

 

They arrived at SBS building at exactly 4:25.

 

She thanked Donghae and ran inside the building. Leaving the books in Donghae's car was a very good decision because she came in front of the conference room just before Leeteuk could open the door.

 

"Director Park!" She greeted happuly as she bowed 90 degrees.

 

Park Jungsu a.k.a. Leeteuk laughed noticing her heavy breathing and the sweat dropping from the side of her forehead. Sungmin had her hair tied to a quite messy bun already.

 

"Ms. Lee, I thought you'd never come. You were never this late." he said, a small dimple appearing below the corner of his lips.

 

Sungmin giggled tiredly as she palmed her nape. "I had to pick up some books from the library for my thesis. I'm sorry, director, this won't happen again!" she bowed again, this time for an apology.

 

"Nah, it's okay. It's for your studies. Feel free to tell me if something will come up whenever we'll meet." Leeteuk said before entering the conference room.

 

Park Leeteuk was one of the directors Sungmin idolizes. Aside from his skills and motherly looks, he was one of the youngest and he's not your typical hot-headed director who shouts at everyone. He always makes sure to stay calm even if they were pressed for time.

 

Just like this new project of them. The network had given them two weeks of preparation for the storyline, script, cast selection and logistics, and a month for the first ten episodes. This would be the last day for the first week preparation, and Sungmin noticed the exhausted looks on the staffs' faces, including Leeteuk's. She had been in the meeting for the polishing of the script and the scouting for the shooting locations. Indeed, the production team had a hard and tiring week.

 

This day was basically for the finalizing of everything. The week after would be allotted to the distribution and practicing of the script with the casts. They started with the plot. It were the scriptwriters and the assistant director who led the briefing.

 

The story was about the reign of King Kyujong.

 

King Kyujong's reign was known for one of the greatest revolution that happened in Joseon against the royal family. It took place in the 17th century, 400 years ago - the network wanted to broadcast the drama on the exact 400th year anniversary of the revolution that was why they were rushing it.

 

Obviously, the drama wouldn't be romantic for the King's love life was not that interesting. They will feature the Queen and the concubine, of course. Other than that, the focus would be on the political issues and the revolution. It will have a total of twenty episodes.

 

In today's drama generation, these types of shows wouldn't be a hit. That was why they casted the top actors and actresses in South Korea, just like Hyunbin, Song Hyekyo, Park Shinhye, Kim Yesung, Jo Insung, and more.

 

Though it was technically the story of King Kyujong, they believe that the viewers would be more interested in the Crowned Prince Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

 

"Sungmin!"

 

Sungmin immediately turned to the smaller girl who just snapped her fingers in front of her face.

 

"You were spacing out."

 

She's Sunny. Short-haired blondie who looked like her biological sister due to their identical pouty lips. Though she's three years younger, she considered the happy-go-lucky girl as her best friend for she had easily opened up to her three years ago - the time when they met. Plus, they're neighbors. Donghae sometimes get jealous of Sunny.

 

"Sorry. Thesis." She casually shrugged her shoulders and resumed placing the orders on the tray. Sunny groaned hearing the word 'thesis.' She hated studying as much as she hated eating vegetables for her parents had forced her into taking up law because both were frustrated lawyers. She's just in her first year and her brain cells were already dying.

 

"You'll survive." In a way, she could relate to her friend, though she chose another option.

 

 

 

 

"Good bye! Good work, everyone!"

 

Friday nights usually were the busiest nights of the fast food chain that they had to close at eleven in the evening instead of the usual 9 pm closing. Sungmin truly had a long day, and she was thankful Leeteuk wouldn't need her for the script reading with the casts tomorrow. She could start working on her thesis and her other part-time jobs.

 

Sighing in relief as she stretched her arms, she chatted happily with Sunny and their other workmates who go home through the same way. They were laughing really hard as if they didn't have burdens in life.

 

They were as vibrant as the night life in Seoul.

 

But Sungmin's happiness didn't last long. A limousine suddenly parked on the side of the road, beside them, the tires screeching loudly at the abrupt stop. Her companions initially thought they would get kidnapped (in the middle of the busy streets), but Sungmin remained calm, knowing very well the owner of the luxurious car.

 

As the door of the passenger front seat opened, a familiar man in suit was revealed. It was the secretary of the CEO of the Lee corporation.

 

"Young Miss Sungmin, the CEO wants to have a talk with you." Secretary Jang politely said while opening the back door. She wanted to retort a 'What if I don't want to?' but she doesn't want to disrespect the CEO in front of her puzzled companions.

 

The Young Miss complied halfheartedly and got in the car. "You go first, Sunny." Sungmin softly told the only person among their group who knew who that man in the car was for Sungmin.

 

Sunny nodded. "Yeah, sure. Knock on my door when you get home." Sungmin smiled a little at her friend before Secretary Jang closed the door.

 

Even as the ride to wherever started, she didn't talk. She remained seated far away from the adult with her and stared at the scenery outside the tinted window. She didn't want to talk to him. It was what, five months ago since they last talked? And it was not the usual father-daughter talk.

 

Thankfully, Lee Chunhwa knew Sungmin wouldn't say a word. "I see you're still working in that fast food chain. Was your salary there enough for your survival?" CEO Lee said in his hoarse authoritative voice that never failed to make her blood boil.

 

She didn't answer, because no, the pay wasn't enough for her daily needs.

 

"How many part-time jobs are you in right now?"

 

She didn't answer, yet again, for she's a hundred percent this guy knew everything about her.

 

She knew where this conversation will lead, just like five months ago. She hated the fact that Donghae looked so much like him that she'd felt like she's seeing him every day through Donghae. Good thing, Donghae was the old man's total opposite.

 

"Five, right?"

 

To be honest, she didn't think that they were that many until her father had mentioned it. Her father really know how to hit the right buttons at the right places and make something sound and look so bad. She hated how manipulated this man could be.

 

She remained quiet to piss the elder, though she was trying not to show any gesture that will give clues to her getting annoyed.

 

"Film school is expensive, isn't it? Especially when you're on self-support."

 

There was a hint of insult on the CEO's tone, and she didn't like it. This man knew about her full-scholarship, so he's probably talking about the school production projects.

 

"It's what I love, so I don't care." She hissed word per word, glancing at the smirking man. She let out a 'tsk.' The look on the man's face told her that the man had succeeded in catching her off-guard.

 

"It's what you love? You know that's bull, Sungmin." Chunhwa said, the volume of his voice rising.

 

"What do you know about love?" Sungmin retorted with the same mocking tone her father used on her.

 

"Your mother would want you taking up business ma-"

 

"No. She would tell me to do what I love."

 

"Shouldn't you be doing your mother a favor? She initially wanted you to manage her clothing business, but you denied. Because your mother had the heart of an angel, she had let you be the spoiled daughter you are right now," she clenched her fists tight. "Again, shouldn't you be doing your mother a favor? After what you've done to her?"

 

Chunhwa smirked smugly. Sungmin knew that her father knows her weakness would always be her mother. Their argument would always end that way and she would always lose because her bastard of a father always used that against her. It brought back the guilt and the painful memories.

 

She didn't have any business with the old man anymore.

 

"Stop the car," she commanded to her father. There was a sound proof division between those on the front seat and them, so she didn't bother telling it to the secretary. When her father remained sipping on his champagne glass, she growled and slammed her fist on the small table near her, hissing, "I said, stop the ing car!" Tears of anger began pooling on her eyes.

 

Chunhwa, satisfied at the behavior of his daughter, pressed a button and spoke, "Stop."

 

Immediately, they halted.

 

Sungmin slung the strap of her backpack on her shoulder and went out of the car even before the secretary could open it for her.

 

 

She untied her hair and ruffled it in frustration.

 

She couldn't really take it when she could feel her father's presence somewhere near her. Left or right, she didn't know where to go. Hell, she didn't even know the place though she's sure she's still in Seoul. She just went along to wherever her feet led her.

 

This was why she didn't want meeting with her father. The man would always guilt-trip her about her mother so she would finally submit to the demand of the Lee patriarch for her to take up business courses like Donghae.

 

There were quite a few problems on that.

 

1. She was never interested in business;

2. She's already in her last year in film school;

3. She hated wearing corporate attires;

4. She hates her dad; and

5. She never really liked her dad.

 

There was this study result wherein whatever emotion a pregnant mother had gone through (e.g. feelings towards someone), it will also be felt by the child inside once it was born.

 

Just like Sungmin; while her mother, Sunhee, was bearing her, Chunhwa cheated on Sunhee. It caused for the woman to bear hatred towards the man and rebelled. Before Sungmin knew of that story, she really had no idea on why she just loathed seeing her father figure.

 

In Donghae's case, Chunhwa had convinced Sunhee to stay with him, especially that she was pregnant with their second baby. The anger did not disappear; yet, she stayed for her children. Donghae hated their father, too. But he stayed and even agreed to take over the business just because he was enjoying the luxuries of being a Lee.

 

There were tons of times when Sungmin had blamed her parents for what was happening to her, but she got tired of it, eventually. Her father would never care, and her mother was gone.

 

 

 

She halted her steps.

 

She looked around.

 

She didn't know the place. It's a residential area.

 

It was dark. No one was around.

 

There were a few tall lamps giving a bit of light to the unoccupied place.

 

Suddenly, it rained hard.

 

Cursing under her breath, she took off her backpack and placed it atop her head whilst she ran. ing climate change, she thought. There weren't any light rain prior so she could have prepared herself. Then again, she didn't bring an umbrella.

 

As she panted, white smoke coming out from , flashes of the most painful memory she had went back to her.

 

 

She was running away, screaming for help. However, her short legs couldn't let her reach that far. The rain was overpowering her voice. No one came to the rescue. No one heard her.

 

 

She continued running. That was what she was good at.

 

 

~0~

 

 

He had never felt this clueless. He was always used to having someone whisper him the answers to his questions; however now, only the wind whispered on his ears.

 

He took more steps forward, his gaze unfocused as he tried identifying everything he eyed on.

 

The tall thing that served as his cover had a long half curvy yellow tube, carved in a convex, standing diagonally on the grass with a ladder supporting on its other end. Across it, there was a tall metal figure and hanging on its center were two wooden seats supported by chains. There was also a long wooden plank with a support beneath at the center. There seemed to be handles attached on both ends.

 

 

~0~

 

 

Her body was slowly weakening. Her legs and arms were turning numb. She was too tired to continue running. She wanted to give up.

 

 

~0~

 

 

His feet were hurting and cold for he was only wearing his socks. he must have forgotten to wear his shoes due to the urgency to meeting the King.

 

 

~0~

 

 

The rain caused for her vision to blur. Her bag really did no good in protecting her face from the rain. Then again, maybe it wasn't the rain that was blurring her eyes.

 

 

~0~

 

 

He had to go back to his family and save them from the attackers.

 

 

~0~

 

 

She had to go home and save herself from insanity.

 

 

~0~

 

 

Where is he?

 

 

~0~

 

 

Where is she?

 

 

 

He walked. She ran.

 

He looked around. She looked down.

 

As their bodies bumped on each other, he instinctively held her arms to prevent her from falling.

 

The rain soaking them, the cold feet, the backpack on the ground, and their worries were soon forgotten as they stared at each other.

 

One had his breath taken away at those beautiful yet teary round orbs, while the other felt the world stop whilst meeting with those deep hypnotizing chocolate eyes.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED