Chapter 18

Learning to Love 2

Yeon Ae’s POV

 

I sit outside the studio watching the guys talking amongst themselves while their song plays. After speaking with Min and ironing everything out I feel a lot better. She was still in tears when I called her and it took everything in me to not break down with her. 

The guys are taking their places again as the song comes to an end. 

“And we’re back with GOT7, and you just heard a song from their first mini album Got It, titled Hello. Now, we’re going to get a bit serious. Jackson-ssi, you recently got married, did you not?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

“It hasn’t been easy has it?” Jackson chuckles a bit. 

“Right. Well, I’m sure everyone knows about it already.”

“Yes, and I’m sure our listeners are very curious about the article that was released earlier today.” My fists clench and Jackson glances at me. He smiles, assuring me everything is okay. 

“That article is completely false. We will be holding a press conference tomorrow about the unfortunate situation my wife has been involved in since she married me, so everybody please look out for that.” I relax a little bit, watching Jackson calmly answer all the questions.

“Yes. I knew that the article was false the moment you walked into the studio with your wife in hand. Because realistically who would go out with their wife if they were really having an affair that was revealed to the entire country, right?” Everyone laughs. “Now we have a treat for the listeners. Earlier when Hello was playing Jackson-ssi came up to me, which I’m sure you all saw,” he says waving at the cameras, “He asked me about dedicating a song to his wife.” 

He did what?

“But with his wife sitting just outside wouldn’t it be nicer for him to sing the song personally?” The other members start yelling in agreement and I feel my cheeks start to heat up. “But he had one problem, the song he chose has a female featuring so please bear with us and in particular, young Yu Gyeom who will be singing the female parts.” 

The other members clap and laugh as Jackson and Yu Gyeom make their way over to the microphone stands on one side of the room. Yu Gyeom sends me a peace sign before turning to the cameras and waving. 

“Do you have any words before you start?” the MC asks. 

“Uhh, this is the first time I’ve done this but I want to use this song as a way of saying sorry to my beautiful wife who has suffered so much since marrying me. Yeon Ae-yah, I love you.” The others clap and ‘aww’. 

“I have something to say too.” Yu Gyeom says raising his hand. “G.Na Sunbae-nim. I’m very very sorry.” 

G.Na Sunbae-nim? The others all laugh as the song starts playing. I instantly recognise it as Yong Jun Hyung’s Anything. G.Na sings the first line. 

“I’ll - do anything for you…” Yu Gyeom sings and I can’t help but start laughing. So do the others. We’re all laughing until it gets to the first verse and Jackson is rapping. I stare at him mesmerised as he recites the lyrics, making eye contact with me every now and then. He doesn’t forget the listeners/viewers either, looking into the camera and making those gestures rappers make. 

The song ends and I stand up to applaud them. Touched by the dedication and teary from laughing at Yu Gyeom being G.Na. 

Jackson blows me a kiss from inside the studio and the guys cringe. 

“Oh Jackson-ssi that was great! I think you’re wife is so touched that she’s about to cry. The writer on my side of the glass looks at me. I shake my head at her. 

“No, I laughed at Yu Gyeom too much that’s why.” She laughs as I wipe my eyes. She types what I told her into the computer and I watch as the MC reads it. He starts laughing and the guys are confused. He composes himself before telling them what he just read.

“She said she laughed so hard at Yu Gyeom and that’s why her eyes are teary.” Everyone laughs at that except Yu Gyeom, who crosses his arms and pouts, looking at me. 

“I thought I did well.” I nod and send him two thumbs up, making him smile. 

“From what I’ve seen I think you all have a pretty tight-knit relationship. As in your wife and the members as well, is that right?

“Yeah, she’s like our long lost sister.” Mark says.

“Omma can get Mark hyung to do the dishes!” Bam Bam says excitedly, making the others laugh.

“Does Mark not usually do the dishes?” the MC asks. 

“No he makes us do everything and then stands back and watches.” Yu Gyeom says. 

“Is that right?” the MC asks, looking at me. I nod. “Jackson’s wife says that’s right. Why do you do that Mark? Why don’t you help out?” 

Mark chuckles and rubs his hand on the back of his neck. He hesitates for a second. 

“Because they’re younger than me?” he says, unsure. The younger members start to ‘boo’ him and the others just laugh. “I help clear the table so they wash the dishes. It’s not like I do nothing at all.”

The MC nods. “I see. Next time you guys come here, bring a proof shot okay Yu Gyeom and Bam Bam?” 

“Yes sir!” They shout, making the MC laugh. He finishes up their session and the boys do their greeting as their latest song plays. 

 

The next day I’m home alone waiting for Min to come over as Jackson goes out for the press conference. I’m preparing some snacks when the doorbell rings. I buzz Min in and she comes in not long after. 

“I’m not late am I?” she says, as she drops her bag in the living room before joining me in the kitchen. 

“Of course not. Conference won’t start for another half hour.” she jumps up onto the counter and watches me as I finish getting our food ready. 

“So everything all good now?” she asks me and I nod. “I heard the guys on the radio last night. I’m so jealous of you. Even after the tantrum you threw last night, Jackson Oppa still serenaded you.” 

“Hey. Let’s just forget about that now shall we?” I tell her as she giggles. I hand her a plate. “Here. Let’s go wait in front of the TV.” 

She hops off the counter and follows me into the living room. We plop down on the floor and place our plates of food on the coffee table. I turn on the TV and change it to the station they’re holding the conference at. I turn the volume down so that Min and I can talk until it starts. We see a banner running at the bottom of the screen announcing the press conference. 

“Do you know what they’re going to say?” Min asks me as we start eating. I shake my head. 

“Nope. Oppa wouldn’t tell me the details. He just said they’re going to sort it out.” Min rolls her eyes. 

“Men.” We both giggle a bit at that. We talk about other things like Min’s classes, what I’m missing out on and of course, boys. Well, in our case Jackson and Mark. 

Before we know it the press conference is starting and we both stop talking to turn to the TV. I turn the volume up as a representative from JYP starts speaking from a cistern. 

“We have called all the reporters here today to address Jackson from GOT7’s marriage and an unfortunate situation with his wife. We ask that you all listen to what he has to say first and questions will be taken later. The press conference will begin now.” 

Cameras start to flash continuously as GOT7 enters the hall. The members stop beside the stage and take their seats as Jackson and JYP make their way to the stage. I hold my breath as Jackson bows to the reporters before sitting down. 

“Firstly, we’d like to thank all of the reporters present today for taking the time to be here. I regret that we are not holding this conference for more positive reasons. Jackson will be doing most of the talking today, so please, we ask for your understanding and we will accept any questions at the end.” JYP says. I see him exchange glances with Jackson and I take a deep breath. 

 


 

Jackson’s POV

 

“Are you ready, hyung?” Young Jae asks me while we’re waiting at the door to the conference hall. I nod. JB places a hand on my shoulder and gives me a light squeeze. 

“You’ll be fine. We’ll be right beside the stage if you need us, okay?” I look at him and smile. 

“Thanks, hyung.” 

“Are you ready?” We all turn around to see JYP who has just arrived. We all bow to him. 

“I’m ready.” I tell him. He nods. 

“Then let’s get this party started, shall we?” We hear the media rep give the opening speech and as soon as he’s done JB leads the way into the hall. They all give me words of support as they walk in. I follow behind them, JYP behind me. We make our way to the stage. 

I bow to all of the reporters before sitting down. The room is packed with reporters and cameramen. It’s a good thing I’ve gotten used to flashing cameras otherwise I would have a major headache right now. JYP leans forward to speak into the several microphones on the table. 

“Firstly, we’d like to thank all of the reporters present today for taking the time to be here. I regret that we are not holding this conference for more positive reasons. Jackson will be doing most of the talking today, so please, we ask for your understanding and we will accept any questions at the end.” He glances at me and I give him a slight nod. I take a deep breath before leaning forward myself. 

“Hello to all of the viewers at home and to all of the reporters and staff in the room right now. I am Jackson from GOT7. As you all know I got married a few months ago. It was an arranged marriage but I can tell you confidently now that my wife and I are in a loving relationship and have actually had feelings for each other since the day we met. The reason for this press conference is partly because of an article that was released yesterday evening about my wife’s supposed affair. This article is false and we are looking into the source of this article to place charges for defamation. The situation behind that article is that my wife and our manager had gone to buy our dinner while we were practicing. There was nothing more to it.” I pause for a second to take another breath. 

“The other reason we are holding this press conference is because I consider that article an attack on my wife. With that thought in mind, this is not the first attack. Since the day we got married my wife has been the victim of various attacks by sasaeng fans who are upset by my marriage. We have tried to keep it out of the media in order to stop the attacks quietly, but these attacks have escalated and I, with the help of my members and company, have decided to bring these attacks into the public eye in the hope that they will stop. The first attack took place a few days after our wedding.” The lights dim and the projector lights up. A photo of Yeon Ae from when she was egged appears on the screen. 

“Images like this have appeared in various fan sites and we tried to take most of them down. This attack was fairly harmless in comparison to the ones to come. The second attack was not made known to other fans but my members and I noticed that my wife had been abused before meeting us. It was just one slap, and at the time my wife had brushed it off, believing it would not get worse than that. However, it did.” I take a breath before signalling for the next piece of evidence. 

This time we show the video of Yeon Ae being beat up by the group of girls. I clench my fists and keep my eyes on the table in front of me. I clench my eyes shut trying to block out the sounds from the video. 

“Are you okay?” JYP whispers to me. I nod. The video ends and I look back up. I can feel myself shaking and I really want to cry, but I stop myself. I clear my throat before starting again.

“This video went up a matter of hours after it happened. Luckily we caught it in time to stop it from spreading much further. This happened when my wife came out of class, however, it did not stop her from attending. She did not want to run away from the issue, believing that it would end eventually and that she would be able to handle every attack that came at her. Why? Because I, her husband, am an idol and she thought that if she retaliated or made a big fuss, it would look bad for mine and GOT7’s image. The next time they approached my wife at Uni, I, along with my members JB and Mark hyung were there to ask them to stop the attacks. The next attack occurs in our home. My wife was home alone when a man, who we found out later was paid by the group of fans, broke into our home and attacked her. Luckily for me, our leader Jae Bum hyung came in just in time to stop it. After this the attacks stopped for a while, but then they started again. This time, my wife’s childhood friend also became a victim.” The screen shows a photo of the two girls covered in red paint. “On this day a Detective was present and we tried to charge the group of fans that are behind these attacks but for various reasons the charges did not stick. On that same night, she was attacked again and in my opinion, this was the worst one of all. As my wife was driving home after sending her friend back a rock was thrown at her car window. It smashed the glass and it resulted with a number of cuts on her face.” An image of the smashed window, followed by a photo of Yeon Ae when we took her to the hospital with the cuts all over her face appear on the screen. “It is a relief that she pressed on the breaks when the attack occurred. It happened as she was pulling into the car park and one wrong move from her would have resulted in a different way.” 

I stop to take a breath. It’s shaky and I hear the reporters start to mumble. JYP reaches over and squeezes my shoulder. 

“It pains me to see one of my companies family members going through this. Jackson, as well as his wife is considered family at JYPE and as much as we have tried to stop these attacks quietly it has been to no avail. Which is why we are here today holding this conference.” JYP says as the lights turn back on. He turns to me and asks if I’m okay to continue. I nod. 

“Aside from these physical attacks she has had a lot of hate mail, some sent through me disguised as gifts. We have taken various measures to protect my wife. Firstly we asked her to defer her studies. It was a hard decision for her to make but just to keep my mind at ease she agreed to it. We’ve also got her following GOT7 on their schedules just so that she is in our sight at all times. So far it has proven successful until of course, last night when her getting dinner for GOT7 with our manager was misunderstood and blown out of proportion. Now that you all know about what has been going on in my marriage I would like to take this opportunity to ask that these fans please stop harassing my wife. I understand that you’re upset by my marriage and at first you did it because it was an arranged one. But I assure you that I’m in a loving relationship with my wife now and because I am an idol I cannot be a normal husband. But I want to do my best for her and protect her from these kinds of happenings. These attacks have taken a toll on my wife and she has not been able to sleep well for the last few weeks. She has always had a positive attitude about everything, always assuring me that everything is okay when it clearly is not. I know that there are fans out there that support my marriage as well and I am grateful for them. But to the others who are against it,” I stand up. “Please, I beg of you. Stop these attacks on my wife and I will be able to show you an even better image on stage as a member of GOT7.” 

I bow 90 degrees and hold my position for a while, as the cameras flash away. I glance to the side and I see that GOT7 has gotten up from their seats and are bowing too. That does it. A tear slips from my eyes and I mange to wipe it away quickly before sniffling and standing up straight. I take my seat again and JYP pats me on the back. He looks over at the rep and nods. 

“We will now take questions.” he says. A number of reporters raise their hands. The rep picks someone and they stand up, introducing themselves. 

“Aside from yourself, what is the company trying to do to protect your wife?” JYP leans forward. 

“We thought that by bringing her into the public eye we could get these attacks to stop. So she has made appearances on a couple of shows that are yet to be aired. She will also take an active part in GOT7’s new show. Jackson’s wife is a lovely girl, we feel that the fans will come to love her as much as the members and family at JYP do.” I smile a bit at his words as I nod. Hands go up again and another reporter is chosen. 

“Some netizens have speculated that your wife may want fame or money from marrying you. What do you have to say about that?” I remind myself to control my expression. I clench my fists under the table before answering. 

“That is absolutely not true. She has never cared that I am an idol. If I hadn’t convinced her she would never have made an appearance on camera. She is content being at home living her own life while caring for me, she has her own dreams and goals. I’m upset that because of me her plans have been postponed. She wants to be a writer you see, and she only has this year left to study but I asked her to defer until it was safe for her to be out alone. She is now one step further from her dream. I have not even bought my wife a single gift yet since she married me and she is not materialistic in any way. I’m very apologetic to my wife about this entire situation, so I would like it if rumours like that stopped.” The rep asks for another question. 

“What is the relationship between your members and your wife? From the radio show you appeared on last night, you all seem very close. What if netizens misunderstand the situation again?” What is up with these questions? It’s like they want to write something negative. 

“Of course she is close with the members. She sees them as family. She is an only child so she loves the idea that she now has 6 brothers looking out for her. Or should I say 4 brothers and 2 sons.” I chuckle as I look over at the guys and they’re laughing as well. “Our maknaes look at my wife as if she is their Mum. She looks after all of us well and we can all turn to her if we need someone to talk to, just like a wife, a mother or a sister should be. We’ve mentioned this before but we have all become a lot happier since I got married. I don’t know what it is about her but she makes us all happy and as a result we are able to enjoy our work so much more.” 

“We will be taking the last question now.” the rep says and I sigh a breath of relief.

“Any plans for children?” Well… that escalated quickly. I can tell from the corner of my eye that GOT7 keep nudging each other and laughing. I chuckle awkwardly and rub the back of my neck. 

“Asking that type of question with the CEO right here,” I say, making everyone laugh. 

“It’s okay. Even I’m curious.” JYP says, making the reporters laugh more. 

“We don’t have any plans yet, no. I have not been able to do a lot for my wife since we got married because we released our new album shortly after and we are still in the midst of promoting. But I have decided to take her on a honeymoon once we get some time off. I think she at least deserves a trip after everything she’s been through. But I am looking forward to the day we will become parents. I think they’ll be beautiful if they take after they’re mother.” 

“As long as they don’t get your personality, they’ll be great.” JYP says making everyone laugh again.  

“PD-nim!” I say pouting a little. 

“I’m kidding.” he says, still laughing. He turns back to the reporters. “Okay, that’s all for today. We’d like to thank you all again for coming to hear us out today. Please give GOT7, Jackson and JYP Entertainment a lot of support and love. Thank you.” 

We both stand up, along with GOT7 beside the stage and bow to the reporters. Then we make our way off stage and GOT7 is already leading the way out of the hall. Camera continue to flash as we make our way out.

 

A/N: Jackson you fluffy thing! 

Press conference over! Next is the double date and mini concert... Then after that, the honeymoon ;)

I know I've been a bit slow updating this but bear with me I'll try to update as soon as possible. I have a pretty free weekend so I'll try to get as much of the story done in this time :)

Love reading your comments!

Thank you for reading!

xo