Shutting Down

The Sharehouse: Second Summer ***DISCONTINUED***

In the weeks that followed, Heechul withdrew. Yuri called him about work and he explained that he trusted her and the management team. Simon asked him to lunch, but Heechul found excuses. Simon even invited him to dinner at home, but Heechul refused. He spent all of his time throwing himself whole-heartedly into his new love; surfing.

From dawn till dusk, every day he could drag his tired body out of bed, Heechul was in the surf riding his board. His body, finally over its initial exhaustion had started to lean up, dropping fat and gaining a little muscle. Heechul even broke with his milky skin and stopped caring so much about sunscreen.

Leeteuk had stopped texting regularly and Heechul wrote it off as business. Yunho had started texting more, but Heechul ignored even him. His journey to being comfortable on his surf board, and with himself, was his own. Yunho could only distract from his self-discovery at this point. Even though Yunho insisted he'd stop at close friends, Heechul knew there would be a natural skew in his opinions to steer Heechul in his direction. Heechul refused to be steered any longer. He wanted to be himself and you couldn't do that with other people blurring your view.

Sitting beside his board as the sun came down over the horizon, Heechul heard a sound he hadn't in a while. A ringtone. Heechul grabbed his bag out of his car earlier, when he'd decided for a break and he reached inside it now for his phone. "Howzit," he answered.

"I didn't think you'd pick up," Donghae chuckled.

"Yeah, well." Heechul smiled, brushing sand off his legs.

"What's up brother? Simon says you're out all the time?"

"So he sent you after me?"

"No. But it sounds like you. Lone wolfing it into a strange new world."

Heechul scoffed. "It's just surfing."

"Surfing, huh. Wouldn't really picture you surfing. But you're really out there to look at the girls right?"

"Not exactly. They all kind of laugh at me anyway. Lightweight out here."

"Lightweight everywhere."

"Did you call to insult me?"

"No, Chul. I called to check in. I also wondered if it's okay that I stop by for the fourth of July?"

"Yeah." Heechul said without hesitation. "You can stop by. Simon and the new kids will be home.'

"But you won't?"

"Not really, probably. I like it out here."

Donghae chuckled. "So next you'll be buying a beach shack and living on a surf board?"

"Who knows? Maybe I'll jump ship to Asia somewhere, I hear Okinawa's good surfing. Or maybe Hawaii."

"You're okay, aren't you Heechul?"

"Yes, I'm fine." Heechul laughed. "Everyone's so worried about me. It's okay for me to be on my own sometimes."

"All right. But the fourth. You have to be home okay? I'm bringing a surprise."

"No promises, but I'll try."

"I guess that's the best answer I'm getting right now?" Donghae laughed softly. "That's good. But really, you'll like the surprise. Be home."

"I got it. Home the fourth."

"Good. See you. Talk to me if you need to yeah?"

"I'm fine, fishface."

"Pshh," Donghae chuckled. "See ya."

"Bye."

Heechul looked at his phone and then out to the water. The sun was hot in its last minutes before the dark. He sighed and texted Yunho. Hey, what are you doing the Fourth of July? He didn't wait long for a reply.

I thought you hated me.

I just needed myself.

tmi, but thanks for the mental image -eyebleach-

Shut up ;] Answer the question.

I don't really celebrate with you Yanks.

Was that the question?

Okay, chill out ;p I'm free.

You want to come over to my place and meet my makeshift family? We'll probably barbecue and party.

Sounds like Americana.

Typically, yeah.

I'm good for it. I'd like to see where you sleep.

Stalker.

Heh. So which beach are you going to now? I guess you're still surfing, but I haven't found you yet.

You really are a stalker, Yunho.

No, hyung. :[ I was just having fun with you. I thought we'd go out again and surf, now that you're probably awesome.

Heechul hesitated. I've been beach hopping. Where I was, there were too many shark scares, so I've been going up coast.

But you won't tell me where. Okay. Let's call the fourth tentative.

Glaring at the reply, Heechul sighed and texted back. Look. I'm not your boyfriend. And I don't need anyone holding my damn hand. I'll take this to mean you lied about friendship and call it over. Heechul squeezed his phone and denied the urge to break it in half. He gathered up his bag and toted his board back to his car.

His phone started ringing after he'd secured his board and Heechul let his anger get the best of him, muscle memory answering with an outburst. "Yunho, you're a complete ." There was silence on the other end for a moment.

"Hyung." A soft voice - definitely not Yunho's - said.

"Key?" Heechul asked. He hadn't heard the kid in a few weeks.

"Yeah," he coughed. "Could you come pick me up?"

"Everything okay?"

"I'd ask Simon, but he's not answering." Key sounded lost and scared.

Heechul nodded. "Okay. Stay on the phone with me. Tell me where you are."

It took Heechul hours to find Key. The poor kid didn't know where he was. His voice was shattered and he cried as he described his location. Heechul kept him calm, trying to talk him through the area, rather than worry about what had happened to him. Heechul's headlights cut through the dark, wooded road Key led him to. Key recognized the car, but Heechul could hardly tell it was Key as he waved with the hand holding his phone.

Key was on the side of the road, he looked like he'd been staggering along the whole time he'd been talking to Heechul. There were sticks and leaves attached to his clothes. Key normally wore form fitting clothes, so it was obvious something had happened to him in his loosened, ripped t-shirt. His pants were intact but he was missing a shoe and a sock hung off his foot instead. Heechul stopped his car and jumped out, moving quickly to Key's side, where the younger man collapsed into his arms, shaking and crying. Heechul's headlights were the only illumination on the darkened road, but he'd caught how badly beaten Key's face was before he'd let himself fall into his arms.

"Hey," Heechul said. He tried not to touch Key much. Heechul knew through experience the police would use any tiny piece of DNA in a case like this. Heechul hoped Key hadn't been through what he was thinking. "It's okay. Just come on."

"I'm sorry, Heechul," Key sobbed, letting Heechul lead him to the car. "I really tried to call Simon."

"Don't worry. Key. I'm here. It's okay." Heechul sat him in the passenger seat and bolted to the driver's side to get Key to the nearest hospital.

They didn't talk on the drive. Heechul didn't want to upset Key further than the poor kid already was. The glances he stole at the kid got his blood boiling. If Simon had been the one to find Key like that, whoever had done it would pay within the hour. But Heechul had more faith in local law than Simon did.

"Come on," Heechul said as he helped Key out of the car and into the hospital. He filled out the paperwork to check him in, Key's right arm totally useless and probably broken. Heechul followed quietly as a nurse came to lead Key to a curtained bed. Key looked like he was in shock now and Heechul politely let himself out of the ER while they helped Key out of his clothes to examine him.

Heechul stayed close to the entrance, his hands shaking as he called Simon. "Hey, I picked up Key." Heechul said before Simon could say anything. His voice shook as much as his hands. "He got beat up. Probably more, but I don't know yet."

"Which hospital?" Simon asked.

Heechul gave him the name and took a shaky breath. "Hurry, please?"

"Okay. I'm on my way, Heechul."

Hanging up, Heechul hugged his arms around himself. Seeing Key so hurt rattled all the skeletons in Heechul's closet and he had to force himself to stay there instead of running away. He paced outside the entrance to the hospital, waiting for Simon.

Thankfully, it didn't take Simon long, within the hour he found Heechul at the front doors and pulled him into a tight hug. "Any word yet?"

"No," Heechul said weakly. He squeezed Simon too tightly and only let go when he pushed his arms gently away.

"Let's go in," Simon said softly. He didn't let go of Heechul, holding his arm as he led him into the hospital.

Heechul felt nothing from that point on. He shut down, locking out memories and letting shock get the best of him. When the police came to question Heechul, he gave them mechanical answers. He'd never remember what they asked as he waited patiently through their proceedings before he and Simon were allowed back to see Key.

Key had been bandaged, stitched and splinted. Heechul felt so lost, looking at him. He was already smiling and joking with Simon.

"Heechul?" Key asked.

Taking a deep breath, Heechul smiled and wiped tears off of his cheeks; he hadn't realized they'd fallen. "Hey. How do you feel?" He asked as he sat on the edge of Key's bed near his legs.

"Like I got hit by a truck," Key smiled.

Aware that Simon was staring at him, Heechul looked up with a raised brow. Simon shrugged and stepped out of the partitioned room. "What happened?" Heechul asked Key softly.

Key laughed harshly and shook his head gently. "I trusted someone I shouldn't have. He brought me out into the woods, for a supposed campfire party. Chh." Key sighed heavily and blinked back tears.

"It's okay. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Heechul assured him.

"Maybe later?" Key nodded. "They'll cast my arm soon and then we can go home. If that's okay?"

Heechul laughed softly. "Of course it's okay. But if you're hungry, we could get ice cream and donuts first?"

Key grinned. "You have no idea how good that sounds."

"I thought so."

While Heechul talked to Key, Simon stepped aside to text Leeteuk. Somebody put Key in the hospital. Wish you were here. I need a posse to find the prick.

It took a few minutes, but Leeteuk replied. Everyone's okay?

They're good. I mean, Key looks like he's been beat to hell. And Heechul was the first one to him.

Is Key staying overnight or you guys taking him home?

He'll come home with us.

That's good.

Hey Teuk..

?

I shouldn't have to ask this, and I'm not the begging type. But call Heechul, okay?

Is he okay?

He's not physically hurt, but.. I mean c'mon. Heechul and hospitals are definitely not besties.

Yeah. I wish I was there.

You're not the only one. And look, if you do call. Don't tell Heechul I asked you to, okay?

Secret's safe with me.

 

Simon and Heechul got Key home safely. The three of them were on the couch, Key between them, watching mindless TV. Key had long since fallen asleep, his bruise-free cheek pressed against Simon's shoulder. It really could have gone a lot worse for the poor kid. Heechul was exhausted, but unable to sleep as he listened to Key's fitful dreaming. Simon was wide awake, thumbing through a game on his phone.

Heechul's phone vibrated and he sighed, wondering what Yunho had come up with this time. But it wasn't Yunho at all. Heechul stared not believing his own eyes as he read Leeteuk's simple text, breaking his near month long silence. Can I call you?

"Hey, Simon?" Heechul asked softly. "Leeteuk." He held up his phone.

"Yeah. Go. I've got this." Simon smiled.

Heechul nodded and carefully removed himself from Key's side, leaving the two of them for his room. He locked the door and leaned against it, holding his phone to his chest. Taking a deep breath, Heechul called Leeteuk.

"Hi, Simon told me what happened tonight." Leeteuk said.

"Oh," Heechul said softly. "Did he tell you to call too?"

"No. He told me Key would be okay."

"Nice try." Heechul scoffed. "Look. If you don't really want to talk to me, that's okay."

"No one forced me to call you Heechul. I know it's been too long since I have last."

"Almost a month."

Leeteuk sighed. "Too long. There's not much longer before I'm home."

"Yeah. So work is getting busier and more intense, because they're trying to get everything they can out of you, before you go."

"That's true. Family is also asking me over more often. You can't blame me for that Heechul."

"No, you're right. You're perfect and I'm the one that's wrong because I stopped texting you too."

"Heechul, that's not what I meant."

"I get it. You don't see them often, if ever, so you're spending time with them. You're working hard. And you've forgotten about me. It's okay."

Leeteuk sighed. "I haven't forgotten."

"Spare me." Heechul rolled his eyes. There was silence and Heechul took a deep breath, holding back tears. "Anyway. Key's okay. Just some scrapes, stitches and a cast. I had a lot of trouble dealing with taking him to the hospital and all of that. But it doesn't matter. We'll just keep moving forward, life goes on."

"Heechul.."

"What? Going to tell me you're sorry now? Just don't, okay?"

"I wish things were different."

"Stop it. Don't make me feel worse by saying something like you wish you hadn't gone home." Heechul sighed heavily. "I can't do this right now, okay? I'm too tired. We're okay, I'm okay. You be okay too and finish up your work there. Don't come home unless you're proud of yourself. And if that means you never come home." Heechul paused. "Then I'd rather you do what you need to to be happy." He didn't wait for Leeteuk to reply, hanging up his phone and rubbing his face.

Heechul didn't cry. He just got himself ready for bed and curled up on his side of it, falling asleep to dreams of past hurts.