Another Me: Sungjong

Last Wish

"W-Woohyun?" The owner jumped when he heard his name, surprised that sound could enter the dorm anymore. Turning, shoulders raised, his eyes widened, registering the voice being that of Sungjong's. Fumbling in his step, almost tripping over, Woohyun rushed to the entrance. 

"Sungjong!" Chills ran down his spine as he stared at the youngest, how much the maknae had changed was shocking. His eyes, cheeks and face was flushed and puffy, swollen almost beyond recognition. However, that didn't help hide how thin he'd gotten. The boy looked like he was going to topple over any second. "Oh Sungjong. Sit, please. I'll get you something to eat. How are you? Have you been to the doctors? Do you want something to drink too?" Woohyun dragged Sungjong back into the kitchen, sitting the boy down as he rushed to make noodles, something warm to fill him up. Taking one last look at him, Woohyun turned to focus on the food. He feared if he hadn't forced Sungjong to sit, the other was going to leave again before he knew it.

"N-no, I'm fine. I just wanted to see you for a bit." 

"What? Why?" Woohyun kept his back on Sungjong. He feared that he would start crying the longer he looked. 

"I don't know actually... To see what Sunggyu saw, I guess?" His reply was almost a whisper, a quivering breath that escaped those chapped lips.

"Oh Sungjong, what are you doing?" Ripping open the packet of ramen and emptying its condiments into the boiling water, Woohyun sighed as he watched it boil, wondering how hot the bubbles could be. Hot enough to burn away the skin from the tips of his fingers? He could tr--

"N-nothing." Sungjong's voice broke him from his conscience. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Sungjong his lips, quickly reacting and throwing him a bottle of water. 

"Drink it." Sungjong, so weak he almost dropped it, meekly complied. "Don't think I didn't notice Sungjong, I saw the way you practiced. Almost like him." Woohyun frowned. 

"Why are you referring to hyung that way?" Sungjong muttered under his breath, eyes overshadowed with rage. Yeah why did I? Woohyun almost asked out loud. 

"Please, when did you ever defend him huh? I call him what I want!" Woohyun didn't know why he said that. It just escaped his lips before he could stop himself. He clearly knew it was the wrong thing to say so why did he say it? 

"I'm leaving..."

"Wh-what? Yah! Lee Sungjong! Come back!" Woohyun stopped him in his tracks, grabbing him by the arms. His expression became desperate but if that was what it took to convince Sungjong to stay, Woohyun didn't care how pathetic he looked. Inches away from Sungjong's face, Woohyun gasped at how tired the poor boy looked up close. With eyebags that could reach his toes and hollowed cheeks, Sungjong looked like he was about to pass out any second. His brows frowned as he stared at Woohyun with judgement. Sungjong stopped before he jerked his hand away from Woohyun. 

"Don't follow me. I was wrong to return," Sungjong murmured, staring at the ground. Turning, he left with a click of a door before Woohyun could stop him.

 

For the next couple of days, Woohyun asked around, calling everyone he knew, particularly those who knew Sungjong. Of course, the other four members didn't reply to their phone calls but it wasn't like Woohyun was expecting them to. 

Sighing, he slumped onto his desk. Why didn't he follow after Sungjong that time? What stopped him? Most importantly, what made Sungjong come back in the first place? It was true. He was curious. There was something he couldn't quite put a finger on but he knew that with Sunggyu gone, there was nothing holding infinite together anymore. 

Leaning on his fist, he glanced at the calender. It's already been a week. Seven days. Thirty four days to go. To be honest, he was quite curious as to what would happen if he did nothing for the rest of the thirty eight days. It sure was a long time but, was it enough? Does Woohyun have what it takes to fulfill Sunggyu's wish?

He sighed again. What was living when his best friend was gone?

Sure, he had other close friends such as Key and the other 91 liners but, it wasn't the same. Sunggyu was Sunggyu. Nothing and nobody could replace him. Sunggyu was always there for Woohyun and the latter thought he, likewise, was there for Sunggyu but, who was he kidding? Now that he was gone, he felt he knew nothing about Sunggyu. 

Getting up, he walked to the kitchen, thirsty. Feet shuffling against the floorboards, Woohyun stopped right outside Dongwoo's room.

"It's quiet. Too quiet," he whispered, sound coming out as barely a breath. Raising a hand to knock, he stopped himself. Did he have the right to? It wasn't as if he was the one Dongwoo wanted to see right now. What could he even say? Biting his tongue, he continued onto the kitchen, opening the fridge to get a drink. Unfortunately there was none. "Nothing works out for me does it?" 

 

The air was crisp. Street lamps, plants, buildings, cars, everything was soaked in the dew of the midnight shower. The concrete crunched beneath his shoes, kicking a rock as he strode throughout the night. The rock bounced further down the road, following after it, Woohyun stopped as soon as he heard crying.

He didn't know why he followed it. What could he hope to do to console another? However, he couldn't help it. The pure sadness of the crying just drew him to find the source. Sobs echoed throughout the night, raising in volume as Woohyun searched. Though he expected the sound to come from a child, Woohyun's lips pursed as he found someone who was anything but. However, it wasn't like he was surprised by that either.

"Hey." Woohyun sat down, keeping his eyes forward on the park in front of them. 

"G-go -hic- go a-away." 

"Come on, Jongie, you know you don't mean that." Woohyun the boy's back continuously, reaching up to run his fingers though his hair. He had to admit, it wasn't the best feeling, greasy and knotted but Woohyun didn't care. Sungjong continued to wipe away his tears. Swallowing a lump in his throat, Woohyun pulled Sungjong's arms away. "Don't. You'll ruin your eyes." Woohyun looked directly into Sungjong's eyes. Who was he kidding? Sungjong was still a child deep down. 

"I d-don't care." Sungjong pouted, eyes instantly turning away from Woohyuns'. The tears streamed endlessly, marking his pale cheeks.

"Fine. Whatever. Go ahead and cry then." And so he did. For the next hour or so, bringing about a new day, the two sat in silence while Sungjong cried. Flicking on his phone, Woohyun stared at the time. 1:20am. "Sungjong."

"...Wh-what?" Sungjong whimpered as his tears began to slow. Sungjong was never one to cry for so long so this was the most Woohyun expected him to. 

"What was Sunggyu to you? What makes you cry so much?" Woohyun stared into the distance, focusing on a droplet on the brink of falling off a leaf. He could feel Sungjong stare at him but he didn't even flinch. He could feel the judging widened eyes pierce him but he didn't move nor take back his question. Sungjong pursed his lips before sighing, kicking the wet dirt with his sneakers.

"Did you know my hyung died?" A moment of silence spread before he continued. "No, not Sunggyu hyung but a relative. He was one I was really close with. He didn't die recently but a bit less than a year ago. It was then that I realised Sunggyu hyung was always there for us. He was always watching. Ha, it sounds strange now but, at that time, I had no faith that we were any closer than a group of strangers, fitted together to sing and dance a bunch of songs. Back then, you know how I was. I always escaped when I could to a relatives' house or whatever. But then I stopped." Woohyun nodded. He didn't remember when exactly but, Sungjong stopped disappearing and started spending more time in the dorm.

"At that time, my relative died." Sungjong stopped, hesitating. Woohyun didn't ask why he repeated it. "We were just crossing the road and in the middle of the night some idiot was drink driving and killed him. Just like that. Just like Sunggyu hyung... 

"I tried to forget but it was hard you know? He was one of my closest relatives but I tried to remain professional. Sunggyu was the only one who noticed. You know what he told me? Hah. It's still funny to think of what an idiot he is. In the middle of trying to console me, he told me to think of him as my relative. He told me to drown myself in work if I really want to forget. It's a strange thing to say but, he said to make him proud. 

"After that, we practiced the piano so much. I will never forget the way he played. He always told me to pour my feelings into it. That way, it'll sound better." Sungjong stopped again and for the first time ever, perhaps, Woohyun felt that the boy was looking at him. He meekly smiled, though his eyes weren't. "You know what he said when I asked what kind of feelings I should pour in? He said love. Sunggyu hyung of all people said love."

Woohyun stared at the ground, kicking the dirt under him. Even though Sungjong was still looking at him, Woohyun didn't want to look into such eyes. Looking up at the cloudy pitch black Seoul sky, Woohyun exhaled. The remnants of the breath lingered into a puff of white cloud before dispersing. "Love, huh? I really didn't know Sunggyu hyung had such a person."

"Of course you didn't. He tried so hard so you didn't." Woohyun paused and stared at Sungjong with increduluous eyes.

"Wh-what?"

"Yup. Because that person," Sungjong jumped up and stood in front of Woohyun, raising a finger to point at him, "was you."

Woohyun flinched at the accusation. Accusation? No. This was Sungjong. It was the truth. Twitching, he trembling as he dropped his face into his palms, eyes widening as the words repeated over and over in his head. Sunggyu loved me? When? Why? 

Breaking him from his trance, Sungjong let out a huge sigh, stretching his arms. "Hm, that's so odd. I feel so much better! It's like the thought of Sunggyu dying without being able to tell you he loved you was what made me sad." He smiled oddly before giving Woohyun a look. "You know Sunggyu hyung really loved you. That's what made him cry every time he played the piano. He was holding back for so long..."

"I-I see..." Woohyun soon stood up too. "Sunggyu hyung loved me huh? Maybe that's a hint to this?" He took the bracelet out of his pocket and examined it once more. 

"Hmm? What's this? What's that?" Sungjong hummed in a singsong manner, clinging onto Woohyun's arm. Flitting his eyes to and from the arm and Sungjong, he smiled lopsidedly as he ruffled the boy's hair once more.

"Nothing~ Let's go home already you brat!"

 

 

 

 

a/n: sorry~~ late update haha I had exams but I hope you enjoyed this extra long update~