Exchanging Notes

I Will Not Change

Chapter 3: Exchanging Notes

This is going to be an interesting year, I thought.

 

As soon as Krystal settled on her seat, Mr. Banks continued on with the lesson. Krystal was fidgeting non-stop on her seat and I was getting more bothered by the second, so I tore a page from my notebook and passed her a note:

 

 Hey, are you okay? You seem fidgety.

      -  AJ

She quickly wrote a reply and placed the note on my desk:

I’m fine, thanks. Just anxious for the tryouts after class.

                                                - Krystal

Ah, the tryouts. They really are nerve-wracking. I have one this Saturday, actually. And I’m feeling quite nervous about it, too.

                                             - AJ

For what sport? I never knew you were the sporty kind. =)

                                           - K

For basketball. Would you mind if I watched the tryouts later?

                                             -  AJ

Sure! Just don’t tell anyone how I .

                                          - K

You absolutely DO NOT . You are VERY GOOD. Don’t doubt yourself or you’ll never achieve you dreams. Good luck, btw. :)

                                               - AJ

 

She kept the note after that, smiling in gratitude to me. I smiled back, giving her a thumbs-up for encouragement.

 

Mr. Banks droned on and on about means and endless equations. I did not listen to them, concentrating instead on the upcoming basketball tryouts and the stress of scheduling swimming tryouts for the swim team.

 

“…okay class. I expect you to answer all of the Chapter 1’s exercises. We’ll check those next meeting. Class dismissed.” Mr. Banks said getting me out of my head.

 

As I was grabbing all my things, Krystal tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I wanted to go to lunch with her. I nodded, surprised by the sudden invitation. I usually went to the cafeteria with Em and her boyfriend, Sam. Krystal will be a welcome addition to our lonely table at lunch.

 

After putting our things in our respective lockers, I led Krystal to the cafeteria. Em, who is always the first at our table, raised her brow at me upon seeing who I was with. I stuck out my tongue at her, feeling guilty for some reason I do not know.

 

Sitting down, I introduced Em to Krystal.

 

“Krystal, this is Emily Reed, Em for short.”

 

Krystal extended her hand, to Em. “Nice meeting you Em, I’m Krystal Jung.”

 

“Ditto,” Em said, shaking Krystal’s hand firmly. She eyed Krystal carefully then winked indiscreetly at me.

 

I blushed to my roots. As if on cue, Sam came and sat beside Em. The ever sweet couple shared a rather school-inappropriate kiss. I coughed loudly to break the couple apart.

 

“Sam Kelly, you’re Krystal Jung, the transferee from Korea. Nice to meet you,” Sam knew everything that goes on around the school being the editor-in-chief of the school paper.

 

“Yes, nice to meet you too, Sam,” Krystal answered with wide-eyed surprise.

 

“Sorry, Sam kind of knows everything here. He’s the EIC of the school paper,” I explained.

 

“Oh, that’s…um…nice to hear,” Krystal said awkwardly,

 

Clapping her hands together, Em called us to get over the introductions and eat our lunch.

 

Right. I need to meet Gabe, my co-captain, after lunch. I better hurry, Gabe does not like waiting.

 

I hurriedly picked out a sandwich and an apple, and went back to the table. By the time everyone got back to the table, I was nearly done with my lunch.

 

“What’s the hurry, AJ?” Em asked.

 

“I need to meet Gabe before 5th period. Swim team , y’know?” I said over a mouthful of food.

 

“Oh. You wouldn’t want Gorilla Gabe to go mental, better hurry.” Em said.

 

“Um…you’re in the swim team too, Amber?” Krystal piped in.

 

“Yes, she’s the co-captain of the swim team, occasional player for the soccer team, member of the tennis and chess teams, and future forward of the women’s basketball team. AJ here is the resident sports girl,” Em explained for me.

 

“Hey, it’s not like that. I just love sports, that’s all.” I said shyly.

 

“Oh wow! And I thought I was sporty. You beat me by at least 90% there, AJ!” Krystal said, laughing at my sudden bashfulness.

 

“Okay. Okay, I need to get going! Bye!” I stood and brought my tray with me, escaping the mocking of my friends.

 

I chanced a look back at the table and I saw Krystal getting along well with Em and Sam. She laughed whole-heartedly at Em’s corny jokes and seemed really awed by the immense know-how of Sam.

 

Krystal is warm and friendly. She is too nice and just the exact kind of person I would like to become close friends with. I left the cafeteria with a smile on my face.

 

Apparently, I was still wearing the goofish smile I had on until I met with Gabe. Gabe being always keen on every detail, noticed this and asked me what has got me into a really good mood. I just shrugged and said that it was a good day.

 

She did not hover much on the topic of my good mood and we went on and on about the specifics of the swim tryouts tomorrow. After we’ve polished all the details and put down the final things for tomorrow, we went on our separate ways to attend class.

 

My mind fried and too tired to function for the next class, I debated whether to skip or just go for a swim in the empty pool. I chose the former, thinking that I need to get my grades up for me to maintain my good standing with all the sports teams I am in.

 

I was not paying attention to where I was walking, too immersed in my own thoughts, that I almost did not see Krystal about to slam into me. She, too was immersed in her own world, in the form of her phone.

 

“Hey, Krystal.” I caught her shoulder before we slammed into each other.

 

“Oh hey. Sorry! Did I step on you or anything?” she said, looking up from her phone.

 

“No, I’m fine. You just almost slammed into me. What’s gotten you too occupied?” I assured.

 

“Oh, just my sister, pestering me about silly things,” she replied.

 

“Okay. Gotta get going! See you around,” I bid goodbye.

 

“Bye!”

 

Sitting down in 5th period, I noticed that the usually empty seat beside me had books and a bag on it. Who could it be? I wondered.

 

Just before the bell rang, Krystal came in and sat beside me. Oh, those things were hers.

 

“Hey, we’ve got 5th period together! I didn’t know you were in this class!” Krystal said enthusiastically.

 

“Yeah. Good to see you.” I smiled at her.

 

Conversation was impossible the next moment because terror Tramell came in and called the class to attention. Miss Tramell is a huge lady, with a little face. She is also the most terrifying teacher in school. Why she became a teacher when she hates kids too much is beyond me. She has too little patience and too much vocal power that can be heard 3 classrooms far.

 

Glancing at Krystal, I saw that she was biting her nail. I guessed that she’s scarred at Ms. Tramell. I completely understand that. The first time I was in her class, I almost peed at my seat. Now, I’m just a little nervous every time she asks for volunteers to answer her questions. Other than that, she is just an intimidating teacher.

 

When Krystal’s gaze met mine, I sent her a reassuring smile to comfort her. It’s fine. Keep calm. I mouthed at her.

 

“MS. LIU. WOULD YOU CARE REPEATING WHAT I SAID?”

 

OH . I was not listening at all. Today must be a bad day for terror Tramell, she rarely does this.

 

“MS. LIU, DID YOU NOT HEAR ME? I SAID REPEAT WHAT I SAID!” she repeated in her megaphone of a voice

 

“Sorry Ms. Tramell, I did not hear what you said earlier.” I said in a hushed tone. Everyone was giving me pity looks as if saying, good luck and hope you survive this messages.

 

“REALLY?! WERE YOU TOO BUSY CHATTING WITH MS. JUNG HERE THAT YOU DID NOT HEAR ME AT ALL?” she shouted.

 

“DETENTION! FOR BOTH OF YOU. CLASS DISMISSED!” she walked out of the door and the whole class seemed to breathe a sigh of relief.

 

One by one, students came out of the room to proceed to their next classroom. Krystal and I were however too stunned to stand. I never got detention. I was the quiet one, the meek one. Why me, of all people?

 

“I guess, we’ll see each other again at detention, huh?” Krystal said in a laughing tone.

 

“Sorry, I got you dragged into this. I know you have tryouts later.” I apologized.

 

“No worries, it’s not until 6pm today. And we’re only allowed to be in detention ‘til 5.”

 

“But you need to practice and stuff. I’m really sorry. WAIT. I know. You skip detention and I’ll fill in for you, make excuses or double my detention if needed.” I said.

 

“No, no, no. It’s fine really.” She said

 

“Okay, but if you need to skip detention, just tell me.”

 

“Don’t worry, AJ, I don’t need that much time to prepare for tryouts. See you at detention.” She grabbed her things and walked out the door.

 

If she fails this tryout, I would forever blame myself.