First Meeting

I Will Not Change

Chapter 1

 

She’s beautiful.

 

That was the first thought that came into my head the moment I saw her. She had the most flawless milky white skin. Her long shiny hair that reached her back was the perfect shade of brown and artfully messy. She was lean and tall – y without being too skinny. She was perfect. Too perfect, actually.

 

“AJ!’ hollered Em who was across the hallway.

 

I did not respond, only waited for her to reach me and tell me what the hell she was calling me for. I glared at her the moment she was within arms-length.

 

“What’s with the death glare, AJ?” Em asked, lightly punching my arm.

 

“Nothing. Just a bad day,” I answered, still glaring at her.

 

“O-kaaay. I guess I’ll just get to the point then.” Pause. “The basketball team will have another try out on Saturday! And guess what? Guess what? Guess! Guess!” she said.

 

“What?” I replied, still not in the mood for any type of conversation.

 

“They’ll be accepting girls this year! Coach Dre said he’ll be creating the El Camino’s first ever Women’s Basketball Team! Finally after all these years! Aren’t you excited? Hmmm? I’m sooooo excited! I can’t wait! What shoes should I wear…should start practicing…” she babbled on.

 

I tuned it out, just like every time she went into babble-mode. She always says useless . At the moment, I was too occupied with looking at the new girl. She was putting books in her locker, probably getting ready to head home.

 

She seems lonely, I should go talk to her.

 

No, you shouldn’t. She’ll freak out, you .

 

“...Hey! You aren’t even listening, aren’t you? Of course, you never listen…what are you looking at? HEY!”

 

Em saw who I was ogling for the last five minutes. For the first time in forever, she had nothing to say. The all talkative word-machine, Emily Reed has nothing to say. WOAH.

 

“Emily Reed, rendered speechless. This is a new sight,’ I said sarcastically, not wanting her to catch on my growing interest on the new girl.

 

“Oh please, AJ! I’m not blind. That new girl is totally your type!” she shouted/whispered in my ear, bumping her shoulder to mine.


“You know how I am with girls, Em. I get all stutter and make a fool out of myself in front of them. So how about no? I’m happily content with my singleness.”

 

“I highly doubt that, but suit yourself. However, if you don’t freaking show up for the basketball try-outs, I’m never talking to you!” with that, she clapped my back and bid goodbye.

 

The new girl, whose name I still have not found out, has probably gone home already. So I decided to spend some practice time in the school’s deserted pool.

 

I entered the locker room and stripped all my clothes, donning on the required skimpy one piece for the swim team. Swim practice will start by the next month so the Olympic sized pool will be mine for a few more weeks.

 

I hated practicing with my team, even though I’m the co-captain. I just love swimming in quiet. The splash of the water, calming when you’re the only one swimming in such a large pool.

 

I’d only meant to swim for an hour but when I looked at the huge wall clock, I found that I’ve been swimming for 2 hours straight. I got out of the pool and went to the shower room to freshen up.

 

After drying myself, I changed to my jeans and t-shirt, not bothering to dry my short hair. It will dry on my way home anyway.

 

My footsteps were echoing along the eerie deserted hallways. The sun was setting and I know that any time soon the guard will do his rounds to shoo students still lingering in the school.

 

While walking, I hear grunts and heavy breathing, shocked and bordering appalled, I followed the sound. I stopped at the door to the gym. I’m sure the sound was coming from inside.

 

Nervous and a little scared of what I’ll see inside, I quietly pushed the door open. The sounds did come from the gym, I was sure of that. But the source of the grunts and heavy breathing was not what I was expecting.

 

It came from the new girl, clad in the iest spandex shorts and sports bra that I’ve ever seen. She was doing complicated jumps and pirouettes over the safety mats. 3 horizontal bras of different heights were strategically placed on the mats. I know little to nothing about gymnastics but from what I could see in front of me, ‘new girl’ (yes I’ve named her new girl because I did not know her name) is pretty good.

 

Those deadly flips and undeniably flexible body will surely bag awards. My attraction to her went up a hundred notches.

 

“AH!” I heard her shriek as she landed first on the mats.

 

I immediately ran to her aid and extended a hand to help her up. She looked up at me with those innocent brown eyes and extremely long lashes. Her eyes widened upon seeing my face. In surprise, I guess, but she took my proffered had and stood up.

 

She has a really tiny hand. I thought.

 

We stood awkwardly, our hands still held. She looked at me shyly, as if embarrassed by my presence. Well I should be the one embarrassed, peeping at her like that.

 

“Sor—“ I started.

 

“I –“ she said at the same time.

 

The ice broke then and we both laughed, still awkwardly though.

 

“Sorry, you go ahead,” I said, finally freeing our clasped hands.

 

“No, no, you first,” she countered.

 

“Okay, I’m sorry I came in without your permission. I just heard grunts coming from here so checked. Are you all right, though? You’re not hurt anywhere?” I said surprisingly not stuttering.

 

“It’s fine. I just thought no one would be here this late. Coach said I could practice any time,” she replied. I noticed that she was biting her lower lip while shyly looking at me.

 

Was she nervous or shy of me? No way in hell. Someone as beautiful and perfect as her should not shy away from me.

 

“I’m AJ, by the way,” I said extending my right hand.

 

“Nice to meet you, I’m Krystal,” she said, meeting my extended hand.

 

I scratched the side of my head and looked around, finding the right words to say at that moment. I did not want to hover too much so I said,

 

“So I guess I’ll leave you to your practice. It was nice meeting you, Krystal.”

 

“The pleasure’s all mine. See you around, AJ!” she said, waving her hand at me.

 

I exited the gym and made my way home, thinking that once I get in my room I should mope on my non-existent love life.