Just The Beginning

The Most Heartwarming, Yet Heart Wrenching One Year

"I love you.  Do you love me?" 

Instead of an answer, only a chuckle was heard. 

"Why... Why are you laughing?"

"Haha.  I'm laughing because I won," the sinister voice cackled.  "Don't you remember?  This was all a game... just a game."


"Game?" Luhan's eyes widened, as he unconsciously muttered the same word, as if he were in a trance. "G-Game?!  A ga-"

His words were cut short as he suddenly heard the piercing noise of a shrill voice.

"LUHAN, WAKE THE HELL UP!!!"

A yelp rang in the air, followed by a dull thud as Luhan fell off his chair, startled by the sudden shout. "I'M NOT DEAD YET." He announed, sloppily getting back to his unsteady feet.

Minseok sighed as he shook his head in disappointment, wondering how he became friends with such an idiot.  As Luahn regained his balanced,  he turned around and saw Minseok.

"Oh, hey Minseok.  What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for the manuscript.  You finished right?"

After looking around the messy table Luhan found his work.  "Yeah.  Here you go." 

"Thanks, and by the way you have to come to the office today by 4:30.  There will be a meeting about your novels and comics turning into a movie.  I'll see you later okay?"

With a nod from Luhan, Minseok took it as a sign that Luhan understood.  On that note, he took his leave by walking out of the bedroom and closing the door. 

Why did I dream of such a spiteful memory?  It's been eight years since that incident occurred.  Why now, out of all times? 

Just by thinking of an explanation left Luhan with shivers.  The memory appearing in his dream left him with a feeling of an omen; a wicked feeling.  

Maybe I'm just thinking too deep? Yeah, maybe I am.

To cool off his thoughts Luhan decided to take a shower.  The hot water hitting his muscles was relaxing him and almost made him forget about his earlier thoughts.  After leaving the shower Luhan put on a fresh pair of clothes and left his apartment.  Instead of making his own breakfast, he was in the mood to eat at his favorite cafe called  Cafe Baekyeol.  Luhan checked his watch and it read 9:05 am.  It was a fifteen minute walk to Baekyeol's cafe.  Luhan enjoyed morning walks with the sun shinning on him and the cool morning breeze, but today was the complete opposite.  The sky was dark and cloudy, as if it was going to rain.  Luhan could only sigh.

I hope it doesn't rain while I'm walking.  


  

As the door was pushed open, a soft "ding dong!" rang through the room.

"Welcome to Cafe Baekyeol, how many for a table?"

"Just one, Baek."

"Omo, Luhan is that you?!  I missed you so much.  It feels like I haven't seen you in ages," he paused. "Well, two weeks to be exact.  But still!  Was work taking a toll on you that much?"  Baekhyun said with a concerned face. 

"Yeah, sorry Baek.  Work has been a hassle and I missed you too.  Can I sit in my usual spot by the window corner?"

"Of course, anything for you.  You want your usual right?  Two sunny side up with sausage, and two pieces of toast with coffee?"

"Yeah.  Thanks Baek."  Luhan said with a smile. 

"No problem.  I'll come back with your order and then we can talk for a bit alright?  I just need to make sure Chanyeol won't burn the place down."  Yelling the last part out on purpose so Chanyeol can hear him. 

"That won't happen as long as theres a fire extinguisher here." Chanyeol yelled right back. 

 "Even if we do have a fire extinguisher here, you can ruin anything."  Baekhyun said while walking to the kitchen.  

Now sitting alone in his usual spot, Luhan looked out the window.  He saw couples holding hands, children playing, and old people walking together in hand.  It made Luhan think about if he was able to find a partner, settle down, and have kids, but no, it wasn't possible.  It could never be possible because after all these years his heart was still stuck on one person.  Oh Sehun.  The one person who made him cry so much, but made him smile so many times.  It was like being in a Korean drama.  He could only sigh.  From this morning's nightmare he could only recall about the past.  The laughter was still clear in his mind, just like how it was eight years ago.  

"Here is your breakfast."  Baekhyun said as he placed the breakfast on the table.  "Now, tell me what's been going on with you?"  Baekhyun asked in a curious tone.  

"Nothing much.." Luhan lied and avoided Baekhyun's eyes.  However, Luhan was a terrible liar. 

"Liar!  You've been sighing and deep in thought ever since you sat down.  Is it... because of him?" Baekhyun asked carefully since he knew Luhan was very sensitive about this topic of his life.  

Luhan bit his lip and nodded.  In response, Baekhyun could only sigh.

"Luhan, I thought-"  Baekhyun opened his mouth to speak but was shortly cut off by Luhan.  

"I know.  It's been eight years and I'm still hung over that .  But I can't help it.  Today I had a dream, well a nightmare, and it was about the past.  I... I just don't know what to do.  People say time files and that everything will eventually heal, but Sehun keeps breaking it's wings."  Luhan voiced out in sorrow.  

Baekhyun was left speechless.  The look on Luhan's face was full of despair and pain.  He couldn't find the right words to comfort him.  After all, he was happily in love with Chanyeol and living his life.  While, Luhan was living in the present, but still stuck in the past.  Baekhyun could only look at Luhan with worry eyes and hope everything is going to be alright.  He wanted to help Luhan but he couldn't.  In this case, the person who caused the wounds could only heal the wounds.  

"It's going to be okay.  Just eat your breakfast, its going to get could."  Was all Baekhyun could say.

Luhan just nodded and started to reluctantly eat.  After finishing his breakfast and coffee he checked his watch; 10:30.  He decided it was time to leave and paid the bill.  

"Leaving?" Baekhyun asked.  

"Yeah.  Thanks for everything Baek.  I have to finish the rest of my books.  See ya."  Luhan said as he placed money on the table.  He got up and started walking to the door.

"Luhan, I'm sorry for not being any help."  Baekhyun said.  "I,.. just don't know.  I've never been in your situation before."

"Its okay Baek, don't be sorry. It was never your fault anyway.  The human heart is just so complicated."  With that Luhan walked out the door and started to walk back home.  

Why is life so cruel?  

Was the only thing Luhan could think as he was walking.  Too deep in thought of coming up with reasons why life is so cruel he bumped into somebody.  

"Sorry.  Are you okay?" Luhan asked.

However, the person continued on walking as if nothing ever happened.  Luhan turned around and could only see a glimpse of the person's back as it started to rain.

"."  Luhan muttered to himself, and ran all the way back to his apartment.

However, what Luhan didn't know was that, fate was already planning something.  A bigger storm was about to come.   


365 days to go....