ONE

#project365

 

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe -


 

Kyung Soo stared dumbly at the screen of his smartphone. The white screen with blue banner at the top glared back at him innocently. In the background of his bedroom, his latest roommate, the all too annoying Baek Hyun, was busy snapping selfies with different poses and facial expressions. And with each click of his phone camera, the lead vocal made camera noise.

“This is going to get me at least 200K likes,” Baek Hyun chirped while uploading his picture onto his page on Instagram.

Kyung Soo turned in his spot on his bed to look at his friend. “Baek Hyun, do I really need this?”

“Kyung Soo, we all have one. You don’t want to be left out, do you?” the guy replied casually, his eyes glued to the screen. “Besides, fans are going nuts when you’re not around. Now we can all follow each other.” He looked up and beamed.

“But I don’t even know how this thing works,” Kyung Soo argued pointlessly. Of course he knows how it works.

The other five guys had spent two hours yesterday convincing him and later forcing him to open an account. Then, they proceeded to teach him the ropes of this new fad everyone’s been crazy about. He went to sleep that night with weird ID names and haunted pictures of the members on his phone screen.

To be honest, Kyung Soo couldn’t be bothered about this cool app called Instagram. He wasn’t very tech savvy to begin with and life is not about sitting in front of the computer or smartphone. His daily schedule was already packed to the minutes and the others expect him to keep up with this app?

He tossed his phone aside, already feeling the pressure of 500K followers in his account. Mentally cursing his moment of weakness, he asked, “What am I supposed to do with this?”

“It’s simple. You go on your account, follow all of us, or any of your friends, or other celebrities that you like, and once in a while, post some pictures or videos of yourself,” Baek Hyun replied more. He casted sympathetic looks at his bandmate and scooted nearer to him. “Here, let me show you.”

He scooped up Kyung Soo’s phone, clicked the middle button below the app, and the camera screen flickered to life. Raising the phone slightly, he grabbed the latter by the shoulder and smiled widely at the camera. “Smile at the camera, Kyung Soo.”

An awkward smile crept onto his face when Baek Hyun hit the large button. Their picture popped up moments later, depicting the au-natural Baek Hyun and uncomfortable Kyung Soo. The former hid a soft snicker as he started adding tags and description. Kyung Soo peered over the shoulder as he watched Baek Hyun posted their picture onto his Instagram.

*

Han Mi Kyung clicked the ‘refresh’ button and stared longingly as pictures after pictures of all her friends rolled up her screen.  And none of it had her in it.

There’s one where they hung out at the opening of the new hip club at mid-town Seoul, all four of them last weekends. Then there’s one they took at the mall, getting manicures and pedicures together; and another for afternoon tea at nearby coffee house. There were tons of pictures, only they were missing of her.

She tore her eyes away from her computer screen regretfully, part of her already weeping because she missed all of them. The sunlight from outside her room streamed past her sheer curtain, lighting up her room but not her world. The summer afternoon meant nothing to her, even with the blossoming roses outside her room, or how her room happened to oversee the perfect garden view.

Her delicate well-manicured hand maneuvered the wheelchair away from the study desk and slowly to the ridiculously spacious attached wardrobe her parents built for her. Rows and rows of outfit lined up at the sides, along with shoes and accessories. Right in the middle, was the one perfect dress mounted on a mannequin. It was going to her ‘one’ dress for her upcoming birthday party. But it’s all for nothing now.

Slowly, a tear slid down her face and she slammed her fists down onto her legs. No pain came to her, only a cruel tingling sensation that tells her, ‘you feel your legs but you can’t exactly use them.’

Mi Kyung missed her friends, her school, and most importantly, her life before the way she is now. She has no one to blame but herself that she was reduced to this. If she had listened to her friends and called for her driver to pick her up instead of driving in her drunken state, she would be there at the new club opening. She would be the one taking her friends out to drinks and getting manicures. She definitely would not be stuck in this hellhole.

A knock on her door pulled her away from her misery. Quickly wiping her eyes, she asked softly, “Who is it?”

“Miss Mi Kyung, Miss Hana is here,” a maid’s voice announced from the other side.

A smile crept onto Mi Kyung’s face. Hana was the only sunshine in her life now, her best friend that stood by her.

Quickly turning around with her automated wheelchair, she patted down her bangs to hide the scar on her forehead and pulled her cardigan closer to her body so Hana wouldn’t see her those on her arms. Hana might be her best friend now, she still didn’t want to let Hana sees those. A girl has a pride to upkeep.

Hana thanked the maid shortly and entered the room. She quickly closed the door, knowing full well that Mi Kyung, despite all her fronts, didn’t like letting the maids see her in her state. When she turned around, she smiled as a short greeting.

“Hi, how’re you feeling today?”

“I’m great!” Mi Kyung replied quickly, a little too quick to hide her despair of not being with the others friends she’s seen earlier on the Net. “You look great, Hana. That outfit looks great on you. And I like what you did to your hair.”

Hana looked sheepish and unconsciously, she ran her fingers past her hair. It was soft and silky to touch, courtesy of the saloon she visited yesterday with their friends. The used to be long and limp charcoal black hair was now dyed to auburn brown and curled stylishly in that cute princess flair. And she was wearing a plain blue blouse coupled with skinnies and boots.

“Yeah, the rest have been pestering me to get my hair done.”

“And it looks great,” Mi Kyung said again. “You look nice like this.”

“Yeah, about that, Mi Kyung,” Hana started hastily. She dropped her bag onto the carpeted floor and sat down on her bed, facing her. “There’s this party this weekend at Yoo Club. That kid Park Jo Hyun is throwing it and I was wondering…”

“But Jo Hyun never invites us to his parties,” Mi Kyung cut in. “Not that it ever stops us from crashing it but he never invites us.”

“Maybe he has a change of heart?” Hana attempted weakly. Shrugging, she continued without waiting for Mi Kyung’s answer, “So I was wondering if I could borrow anything to wear to the party?”

“Oh…” Mi Kyung said, slightly taken aback. From the corner of her eyes, she could see the fancy invitation card peeking out of her folder that Hana has dumped onto the floor along with her bag. Swallowing the vile bitterness rising in , she forced back a smile.

“Sure, anything for you, Hana. You can go ahead and choose some.”

Hana jumped to her feet, excited, and leaned forward to hug Mi Kyung warmly. “You’re the best, Mi Kyung.” They broke the hug and Mi Kyung watched Hana skipped to the wardrobe to take her pick.

There was no restriction to what Hana could wear since they were of the same size. And ever since the accident, all those wonderful clothes just lay there, wasted. Well, all except for one, the perfect dress. – The dream dress!

Mi Kyung looked down at the tattered folder Hana has always been carrying with her. She moved forward and bent forward to pick it up. Inside, she pulled out the portfolio Hana has been working on since the start of their second year. In the background, she could hear Hana rustling about, trying on clothes after clothes. She flipped open the book and read through the tidy scrawling of notes after notes.

She looked up to her computer, her main page on Instagram still on. Slowly, she head back to her original position. Exhaling heavily, she began typing away.

‘I miss you girls, friends…’


 

My very first chapter~!! So excited! Kyung Soo is not my bias in EXO-K but I really like his voice and he fits this story best with his shyness & awkwardness in front of the cameras & fans. Lolx.. I would say this story is very boy & girl-next-door type and the way they fall in love would be very typical too. Plot twists would definitely be there and I'll try to make it as unexpectedly as possible. Hehehe...

But in the meantime, please give lots of love to Kyungsoo by commenting, subscribing & upvoting. Thank you~ ^^