Chapter 9 - Rules and Regulations

Times Change

Mark groaned when he opened his eyes the next morning, almost immediately closing them again when the sun hit him. He frowned slightly, though when he noticed that there was still a set of arms wrapped around him his expression softened and he smiled instead, one hand resting on top of Jackson’s.

Jackson was holding him from behind, arms wrapped loosely around his waist and lips resting at the nape of his neck. His breath was tickling the soft hairs there and Mark let out a happy sigh, rotating as slowly as he could in Jackson’s grip so that he was facing him.

This was something he wasn’t used to. He’d never woken up next to someone in his own bed, and he’d never really seen Jackson like this. His hair had fallen partially over his eyes, his lips parted slightly and a relaxed look on his face as he snored lightly. Mark didn’t even mind.

When Mark reached over to push Jackson’s hair out of his eyes Jackson fidgeted, his lips and opening his eyes a crack.

“Mm… Good morning,” Jackson said, voice slightly scratchy from sleep. He smiled sleepily and Mark just watched, grinning a moment later as Jackson leaned forward and pressed a little kiss to the tip of his nose. Mark scrunched his nose in response, still smiling.

“You have morning breath,” he mumbled, and Jackson rolled his eyes, rolling onto his back as he stretched.

“You are the ultimate in romance,” Jackson said through a yawn, sitting up a moment later. He turned his focus back to Mark a moment later, though when he looked the other man over he turned away, letting out a soft sigh. “I forgot you weren’t wearing anything.”

Mark blinked, looking down and blushing softly before standing up and finding a clean pair of boxers. He didn’t notice Jackson sneaking a peak at him as he walked, and he didn’t notice the happy smile on Jackson’s lips, but by the time he’d managed to put on a pair of sweatpants Jackson had already looked away, busying himself with fixing his hair in the mirror a bit. Mark watched him in silence for a minute, then walked up behind him and kissed his shoulder softly. Jackson smiled into his reflection, turning to watch Mark sit back down on the bed. He followed.

“You okay? Hurting or anything?” he asked, and Mark shrugged.

“I’ll be fine,” Mark replied with a smile. He looked Jackson over, smiling happily to himself before he stood and stretched, cracking his back absently. “I’m a little stiff, but I’ll be fine.”

Jackson watched him as he thought, leaning back on his hands.

“Your parents don’t know anything about us, do they?” he asked, brows furrowed slightly. Mark looked down and shook his head.

“No. I’m not sure if I’m ready to tell them, either,” he mumbled, looking back to Jackson and pulling him to stand up. “I’ll tell them soon. They’re both at work right now anyway, so let’s just get some breakfast.”

Jackson nodded in agreement, following Mark to the kitchen. He saw Mark stop in front of him and he raised a brow, about to ask why he’d paused but getting to the kitchen and immediately understanding.

Mark’s father was sitting at the table, reading the paper absently. He set it down when they walked into the room, and Jackson could almost feel the nervous heat radiating off of Mark as his face went red. Mark’s father looked up at them expectantly, and Jackson just waved hesitantly, a weak smile apparent on his lips.

“Hey dad,” he greeted, letting out a soft, very awkward and forced laugh. Mark’s father wasn’t smiling, and soon the smile that Jackson had forced fell as well. He looked down.

“Did you two sleep well?” he asked, Mark and Jackson both staying silent in response. Eventually Mark nodded though he didn’t look up, instead keeping his eyes trained on their now very interesting tile floor as he bit his lip. Mark’s father just cleared his throat. “Good. Sit down, we need to talk.”

Both Mark and Jackson sat down immediately but their movements were shaky, Mark’s gaze still focused down and Jackson turning to look at Mark. This didn’t bode well for them – Mark was a mess and, with neither of them wearing shirts, the marks that were left from the night before were more than obvious. There was a deep bruise nestled near the crook of Mark’s neck, a few bite marks having survived as well. Judging from how Jackson’s back felt, he still had a few scratches left over.

Both of them were bracing for the worst.

“Can you explain why I found Jackson’s keys in the living room, but no Jackson in the living room this morning?” he asked calmly, and Jackson bit his lip and looked down. Mark let out a shaky sigh.

“… Because he stayed in my room,” he admitted softly, his father nodding in response.

“Can you tell me why?” he asked, his tone far too calm for either of their liking. Jackson glanced at Mark, brows furrowed with concern before he reached over and gave Mark’s thigh a little squeeze. He saw the smile flicker onto his lips for a moment before he took a deep breath and opened his mouth to talk. Jackson cut him off.

“I-it wasn’t his fault. I wanted to stay in his room, so don’t blame him,” he said suddenly, Mark turning to glare at him before hitting his shoulder softly. Jackson looked at him before nodding and falling silent again, lips pursed. “Sorry…”

There was a silence that lasted too long for anyone’s liking, then Mark looked up and nodded, almost urging himself on before he finally opened his mouth to speak.

“Dad… Jackson and I are dating.”

Mark said it so pointedly that Jackson actually turned to him with wide eyes, one eyebrow raised in silent questioning. He hadn’t expected Mark to just come out and say it quite like that, but now he had and his father’s expression hadn’t changed. He was just nodding in silence, leaving Mark and Jackson to wonder what was about to happen. When he didn’t say anything, Jackson watched Mark’s shoulders drop.

“Are you gonna say anything?” he asked, fully expecting his father to forbid him from seeing Jackson ever again, to tell him that he was an awful human being. What he got was more nodding before his father pursed his lips.

“I’m glad it was him, then,” he replied gently, and Mark’s eyes widened.

“W-what?” he asked, and even Jackson blinked in confusion.

“I said that I’m glad it was him. Mark, look at me. I’m your father. I will love you and support you no matter what. Besides,” he continued, looking at Jackson, “he already calls me ‘dad’, so there isn’t much to get used to.”

Mark could tell that his father was a bit uncomfortable with the situation, but just the simple fact that he was trying to lighten the mood with a joke made him smile softly. Jackson chuckled and looked off for a moment before turning back to Mark, moving his hand up to his shoulder to give it a little squeeze. He was about to say something to Mark before his father spoke again.

“But that doesn’t change the fact that you disobeyed a rule.”

Both Jackson and Mark’s expressions dropped once again, Mark going back to biting his lip. Mark’s father watched them both, saw the tenseness creep back into their faces, and he sighed.

“I guess I can overlook it, though. I mainly made that rule for when you were both younger. You were so loud that I knew you would keep me up all night, so I didn’t want you next to our bedroom. But as you grew up, the rule kind of stayed.” He sighed. “You two were always so close… I’m not surprised that I’m having this conversation right now. I am surprised it took you this long to break the rule in the first place.”

Jackson rolled his eyes and leaned back in the chair, laughing a bit.

“You mean we could have ignored the ruled years ago and you wouldn’t have done anything?” he asked, Mark’s father laughing and crossing his arms over his chest. He never responded, Mark hitting Jackson’s shoulder again and Jackson just smiling to himself before reaching over to muss Mark’s hair. Mark couldn’t help but let the smile slide back onto his face, gaze focused on Jackson as he pushed his hair out of his face. His father watched on in silence, only clearing his throat when Mark started to lean closer to Jackson. They both turned to look at Mark’s father.

“I’m going to have a talk with your mother when she gets home. I took the day off of work when I saw the keys. But now that I know what happened, I guess I can go back,” he said, nodding to himself before slipping out of the room. Mark and Jackson both listened as they heard the front door close, then they turned back to look at each other. A moment later Mark grinned, standing and pressing a firm kiss to Jackson’s lips as he cupped both of his cheeks. Jackson stared up at him with a smile.

“Feeling better?” he asked, and Mark nodded.

“I’m gonna go shower,” he said, grinning and walking off. He paused a few steps away, turning back and smirking. “You can join me if you want.”

Mark didn’t have to extend the offer more than once.

For the rest of the day, Mark and Jackson explored the city, mostly just going out to lunch and window shopping. It was a relaxing day, one that Mark and Jackson needed after the stresses of school. When they walked back into Mark’s house they were greeted by dinner on the table and a smile from Mark’s mother, who pulled both of them into a hug. Jackson looked to Mark with a confused smile, Mark shrugging in response as she pulled them both to the dining room.

“Your father told me everything and I am completely supportive,” she said as they started, Mark choking on the piece of pork he’d been chewing. He coughed a bit, finally taking a gulp of water as Jackson watched him with partial concern and partial surprise. He reached over, patting Mark’s back before he looked up.

“That was a way to start the conversation,” he said, and she shrugged.

“I’m allowed to support my son,” she replied, giving both Mark and Jackson a gentle smile. Mark felt his cheeks heat up but he looked down with a little nod anyway, Jackson’s hand still resting on his back.

“I know… Thanks mom,” he replied, playing with his food absently. Jackson laughed softly.

“Eat your food and try not to choke on it this time,” he said, and Mark shot him a glare before smiling and simply finishing his food.

The night went so normally after that, the two taking over the living room and paying more attention to each other. Jackson had stretched out along the length of the couch, Mark’s head resting on his chest with the blanket over him. Absently Jackson played with Mark’s hair, pushing it off of his face while they talked, which only led to Mark scrunching his nose in slight distaste and mussing his hair back up a moment later. He stuck out his tongue at him, and Jackson smirked before he leaned down and the tip of Mark’s tongue, laughing happily.

“Ew, that… Was weird. You’re weird,” Mark said, but he didn’t move. Instead, he nuzzled his head against Jackson’s chest, sighing contentedly. “It’s getting late, aren’t you heading home?” Jackson shrugged and glanced up, looking at Mark’s dad as he walked through the room.

“Hey dad, can I spend the night?” he asked, and Mark’s father smiled.

“Sure,” he replied, looking at Jackson expectantly. Jackson just grinned back in response.

“In Mark’s room?”

There was a moment of silence before Mark’s father nodded.

“Sure.”

That was all he said before he left the room, leaving Mark and Jackson lying on the couch. Both of them smiled.

Mark had to admit, he was quickly realizing how much he liked falling asleep next to someone.