Chapter 12 - Confrontation

Times Change

This time, Jackson woke up before his alarm, silencing it to make sure that the harsh ring didn’t wake up Mark. Instead he snuck out of bed, making his way into the kitchen and making toast for them before tiptoeing back into his bedroom. Mark was still asleep, so he held the plate of toast up to Mark’s nose, giving it a second before Mark inhaled and jerked awake. Jackson just chuckled as Mark looked from the toast to Jackson, shaking his head.

“Can’t you just wake me up like a normal human being?” he asked, and Jackson grinned and shook his head.

“It’s no fun that way. Get used to it, boyfriend,” Jackson replied, setting the plate down on the bed and pecking Mark’s lips before starting to change. “Get up, we’re going to school today.”

Despite the persistent groans from Mark, Jackson eventually got him to get up and get ready, the two bidding a quiet goodbye to his parents, who had just woken up. They stayed silent most of the drive there, Mark only looking over to Jackson to speak when he could see the school through the window.

“Do you think they’re gonna mess with us again?” he asked, and Jackson refused to look over because he could hear the worry in Mark’s voice. He frowned.

“I don’t know. I hope not. I don’t want to deal with the today,” he mumbled, shaking his head to himself as he pulled into a parking spot. He looked to Mark, leaning his head against the seat and offering the other man a little smile. “Try not to worry about it, okay? Let’s just get through the day.”

Even though Jackson had said it, the thought worried him more than anything.

Mark had been taking most of the damage, and if he had to watch him get thrown into a locker one more time Jackson was going to lose it. They had gone from two people that no one would mess with to the two that everyone wouldn’t stop messing with. It was a rocky transition.

The two of them walked in without much trouble, avoiding the people that were whispering about them as they walked by. Jackson looked down, not even sure what to say in response until Mark slid his hand into Jackson’s grip, fingers linking as they headed toward their lockers. Jackson raised a brow, looking up at Mark and catching his shrug.

“ it. I don’t care what they say,” he said, giving Jackson’s hand a squeeze and Jackson returning the motion easily.

For once, the day seemed to be going smoothly.

Every class went by without a hitch and no one bothered them between classes in the halls. It was almost refreshing, and Jackson was relieved to see the smile that had taken over Mark’s features.

Then all of a sudden that smile was gone and Mark was pushed into the locker, a hand on the back of his head holding him there as his cheek collided with the metal. Jackson’s eyes went wide as he looked at the student, knowing full well that this was one of the same group that had been tormenting them from the beginning.

“What’s up, fags?” he asked, and Jackson felt his nostrils flare as he reached out and pushed the other student away.

“Get the away from us and don’t call us that,” Jackson replied through gritted teeth, turning his attention to Mark and making sure that he was alright. He was, simply rubbing his cheek as he nodded in agreement to Jackson’s words. They were only greeted with a scoff as Mark was pushed away from Jackson, the odd angle making him lose his balance as he fell to the floor.

“What’re you gonna ing do about it?” the other student asked. “It’s a free country, I can say whatever I want. And I want to call you two fags,” he added, Jackson narrowing his eyes.

“Haven’t you ed with us enough?” Jackson asked, focus switching from the student in front of him to Mark, who was slowly pushing himself up from his spot on the floor. “You okay?” he asked, Mark nodding once more before a foot connected in a strong kick to his side. Mark yelped as he fell back over and Jackson’s eyes went wide. “Don’t you ing touch him!” he exclaimed angrily, pushing the student back and watching as he stumbled a bit. It was like he hadn’t been expecting Jackson to fight back at all, and neither of them noticed the growing crowd of people that was circling around them.

“Don’t you ing touch me, you piece of !” the student exclaimed, a sharp punch accentuating his words as it connected with Jackson’s stomach.

At that moment it became a full fight, kicks and punched being thrown as a growing group started chanting around them. Mark just watched in silence, not even able to grasp what was going on in front of him for a moment until he stood, pushing the student away from Jackson.

“Just stop. Stop fighting, stop trying to ruin our lives, stop messing with us, and stop hurting us.” Mark stood his ground, Jackson behind him trying to slow his racing heart as he stared daggers at the other student.

There was a long silence, no one moving and the crowd even quieting down as they watched.

Then a punch was thrown at Mark’s face and he fell back, Jackson immediately chambering a strong kick directly into the student’s face as well. Down he went, Jackson on top of him and throwing punch after punch as the crowd around them cheered.

“Did you forget I fight? Did you forget that I could kick your ? Don’t you dare hurt him, or I will you up. Leave us the alone!” There were punches connecting with Jackson as well, and he ignored the telltale metallic taste in his mouth as he continued. He only stopped when he was pulled away, not even noticing that the crowd had scattered and their principal had shown up. It had taken both Mark and him to pull Jackson off the other student, and when they did he let out a sharp breath, turning to pace a bit before he crouched down and covered his face with his hands. Mark’s brows furrowed.

“You three. All three of you,” he said, pointing from Mark, to Jackson, to the student who was slowly sitting up on the floor, “into my office immediately.”

That was all he said before he walked away, Mark looking at Jackson and Jackson closing his eyes and dropping his head.

He shouldn’t have done that.

They sat in the lobby for what seemed like ages, none of them saying a word and Mark keeping a tight hold on Jackson’s hand. When their parents walked in all three of them went pale.

“Oh god,” Jackson mumbled, meeting his mothers eyes and biting his lip.

“I want to talk to you all in my office. You first,” he said, pointing at the student sitting next to them. “Follow me.”

The four of them disappeared behind the closed door of the office, and both Jackson and Mark’s parents sat down without a word. Neither Jackson or Mark could think of anything to say and so they stayed silent, Mark’s thumb rubbing soft, calming circles against the skin of Jackson’s hand as he rested his head on the other’s shoulder.

Once again, it seemed like an eternity passed, and when their principal walked out he was followed by two very angry looking parents and one student with his head dropped. They left in silence, the principal turning his attention to the remaining six.

“Your turn. All at once,” he said, standing at the door and waiting for them to file in. He sat at his desk, eyes scanning over them before he let out a long breath. “As I told you over the phone, your sons were involved in a fight, specifically Jackson, who ended up almost knocking another student out.”

Jackson could feel the eyes on him and he looked down, brows knit together in worry as his principal continued.

“I have no choice but to punish everyone involved, and expulsion might be the only option.”

At that Jackson looked up, worry replaced with anger as he cut in.

“What? I didn’t even start it, that guy has been bullying us for weeks now. He slammed Mark’s head in a locker, then threw him across the hall, they constantly push us… I didn’t start it, I just wanted to finish it.” He saw the principal raise his brow, clearly a bit uncomfortable as he shook his head.

“It doesn’t matter. You injured another student who-”

“-Who has been calling us faggots for weeks!” Jackson exclaimed, standing suddenly. His principal flinched at the word, Mark looking over and urging Jackson to sit again. He did so, turning back when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Is that true?” Jackson’s mother asked quietly, looking from Jackson to Mark, who just nodded.

“They called us names and dumped drinks on us. They kicked our asses,” he replied, seeing worry pass over the faces of all four of their parents. Jackson sighed, about to speak before his principal cut in.

“Be that as it may, this was much worse than any of that,” he said, and Jackson raised a brow.

“That shouldn’t matter. I was defending us,” he replied, anger hinted in his tone. His principal stared at him. There was a long silence before Jackson turned to their parents, Mark turning as well. “They said we couldn’t kiss in the halls, couldn’t touch or hold hands because it made people uncomfortable or whatever, even though every other couple does it,” he continued, the principal cutting in once more.

“We’ve gotten multiple complaints abou-”

“That’s bull and you know it!” Jackson exclaimed, standing again. “It’s one person and she has you wrapped around your finger!” Mark stared for a moment before clearing his throat and Jackson looked around the room, sitting down and dropping his head. “I’m sorry,” he mumbled, Mark watching him before reaching over and giving his shoulder a squeeze.

“Did you really tell my son that he couldn’t be close with his significant other in school?” Mark’s mother asked, the other three adults nodding as if to echo the question. The principal stared at them. “Because you really have no right to say something to them that you don’t enforce with all the other students,” she added, Mark’s father nodding.

“I can understand why they got into the fight, in that case. I’d be mad if someone was hurting my wife, so I understand how Jackson feels,” he said, Jackson’s mother stepping up and leaning forward to rest a hand on Jackson’s shoulder.

“Our sons should be free to do whatever any other student does, and if they aren’t, then maybe they should no longer attend this school,” she said, Jackson turning to look at her with wide eyes. “I know what I’m doing, sir, and I’m sure that you wouldn’t want to try and handle what I could throw your way.”

“We know plenty of lawyers,” added Jackson’s father, the principal’s face going pale.

“… Be that… as it may,” he began, fussing with some of the papers on his desk, “this fight was definitely against school rules and I have to take action because I have no idea who started the scuffle. I wasn’t there.” There were a few nods in understanding, even Jackson and Mark agreeing before there was a knock at the door. The principal looked up in slight confusion. “Come in?” he said, more of a question than anything as the woman at the front desk opened the door.

“I have a student who said she saw the fight from the beginning. Would you like to talk to her?” she asked, the principal surveying all six of them before nodding.

“Yes. I need to think about the things you’ve said before offering a punishment. Please take a seat outside while I talk to this student.” All six of them nodded, Mark immediately taking Jackson’s hand as they walked out. It was only when they passed Victoria that they smiled, watching as she nodded at them and closed the door to the office.

Once more they were in silence, until Jackson felt a hand on his knee. He looked to Mark’s father, who was smiling at him.

“Thank you for standing up for my son,” he said softly, Jackson nodding and offering him a soft smile in response.

Nothing more was said, but nothing more needed to be said.

When Victoria left the office she smiled at them hopefully, waiting until the door closed and glancing back to make sure before she turned her attention back to Mark and Jackson.

“I told them everything that happened,” she said softly, shrugging. “I tried my best. I hope that it helped.” With that she waved to the two of them, waving to Mark’s parents as well before she slipped out into the hall so she could get back to class.

When the door opened again, the principal looked over them and let out a little sigh, shaking his head.

“Because this is the first time you’ve gotten in trouble like this, and because of the witnesses and your… situation,” he began, looking from Mark and Jackson to their parents, “I’m only going to offer a two week suspension.” Mark gave Jackson’s hand a soft squeeze. “If this happens again, though, the consequence will be much worse.” There was a nod in understanding passed around the room, the principal walking back into his office and closing the door as the six of them turned to leave.

They all ignored the students looking at them as they walked out, no one caring that almost every eye was on them. The moment they were outside, Jackson’s mother shook her head.

“He just didn’t want to deal with a damn lawsuit,” she said.

“Mom!”

~*~

Jackson drove Mark back to his house, the three groups having split up to take their own cars and Mark opting to ride with Jackson instead of his parents. Once they were there they walked inside, Jackson tossing his keys onto the couch as they both sat down.

“Look at it this way,” Jackson said, smiling weakly, “we have two weeks to just kind of be with each other.” Mark chuckled, though his laughter died down when he looked over Jackson.

He still had a bit of blood by his mouth, and some bruises were starting to form from the punches. Mark frowned.

“I’m gonna go grab a damp towel and clean you up,” he said softly, cupping Jackson’s cheek for a moment before walking to the bathroom to get the cloth. He dampened it, coming back and turning so that he was facing Jackson before silently wiping off every little bit of blood and dirt that was left on him. Jackson just closed his eyes.

“… Are you okay?” he asked after a long silence, Mark pausing as he looked up. “I wasn’t the only one who got hit today. I’m allowed to worry about you,” he added, and Mark looked at him for a moment before he smiled.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I didn’t take half the beating you did. But man, when you kicked him in the face…” Mark started, voice trailing off as Jackson quirked a brow. He couldn’t help the smirk.

“What? Did you think I was super manly and y? Was I your knight in shining armor?” he asked, laughing at his words and rolling his eyes at himself. Mark just watched him, still smiling as he dropped his hand, toying with the towel and letting Jackson flick his now messy hair off of his face. He just nodded.

“Yeah,” he replied easily, and Jackson’s face went red.

The rest of the night was spent by themselves, Mark’s parents doing their best not to bother them as they curled up on the couch and watched television. Jackson shot his mother a text letting her know he was spending the night with Mark and she didn’t protest, just telling him to have fun, relax, and be safe.

They stayed up late just talking.

They let themselves relax.

They let themselves smile.

It was late when the two finally curled up in bed, both of them on their sides facing each other. Mark was nearly asleep, eyes closed and breaths soft as Jackson quietly watched. He smiled to himself, reaching out and resting his hand on Mark’s cheek, his thumb smoothing over the skin softly.

“I love you so much,” he mumbled, seeing a little smile perk the corners of his lips.

“I love you, too,” Mark replied, hand reaching up to rest on Jackson’s. His words were drowsy, almost like he was talking in his sleep, and Jackson loved every minute of it. “I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.”

Jackson looked at him with wide eyes, stopping his movement for a moment when he felt his heart start pounding in his chest. Was Mark just tired and saying whatever came to his mind? Jackson assumed so, so he forced himself to relax, thumb moving over Mark’s cheek once more.

“I mean, I’ve known you for more than half my life,” Mark continued. “If you ever left I wouldn’t know what to do.” His smile brightened slightly before Jackson leaned forward, pressing a slow kiss to Mark’s lips, who returned it with a sleepy smile as he breathed into the connection. “Promise me you won’t leave,” he mumbled into the kiss, and Jackson smiled, his hand slipping back to curl around Mark’s head and hold him close.

Mark was definitely talking through exhaustion but Jackson didn’t mind. He pressed a kiss to Mark’s forehead, eyes closed as Mark’s arms slipped around him.

“I promise, baby,” he replied in a whisper, joining Mark in comfortable sleep only a few moments later.