Chapter 1 - Little Introductions

Times Change

Mark flicked through the stations on the television in front of him, legs crossed. It was a normal Saturday, and that meant no school, no homework, no worries. His parents were home but they were keeping to themselves, leaving the living room to Mark as he spent his time catching up on a few of his favorite shows.

He wasn’t surprised when there was a knock at the door, and when he opened it Jackson walked in with nothing more than a happy laugh, almost immediately grabbing a bottle of soda out of the fridge before all but throwing himself down on the couch. It was only then that he looked at Mark, still grinning as he opened the soda and took a swig.

“Hope you didn’t have any plans,” he said, and after a moment of watching him Mark finally smiled back, shaking his head and taking the spot next to him on the couch.

Mark and Jackson had been friends since they were kids. They’d gone to the same school ever since they were young, been in the same clubs, had the same group of friends – they were inseparable, and everyone knew them. They were two of the most popular guys in the senior class.

Without any question, Jackson took the remote and changed the channel to a music show, singing along absently as the two just relaxed. Mark grinned, about to open his mouth to speak when his father walked into the room. Jackson simply offered him a wave.

“What’s up, dad?” he asked, and Mark laughed in response. Like usual, his father just waved it off, shaking his head.

“I didn’t know you were coming over,” he said, and Jackson nodded.

“Neither did Mark. I just wanted to drop in to say hey. Mind if I stay for dinner or something?” he asked, looking between Mark and his father hopefully. There was a pause but eventually his father nodded, calling for his wife so they could start working on making dinner.

The night went like usual – Jackson had asked to stay for dinner but instead he stayed far later than that, driving home well after midnight only to show up the next afternoon and stay for the entire day. It was like this every weekend for as long as Jackson had had a car. He’d always try to spend the night, but Mark’s father would force him to sleep on the couch instead of in Mark’s room and, because Jackson hated it, he’d just drive home. It had become a routine.

In school it was the same thing. The two of them shared nearly every class, and their lockers were near each other, so they were attached all the time. That’s how people knew them. It was never just Jackson, or just Mark, it was always Mark and Jackson.

Sighing softly, Mark closed the door of his locker as Jackson leaned beside him, head resting against the metal as he watched Mark with a concerned look on his face.

“Why do you look so worried?” he asked, adjusting the strap of his backpack as Mark sighed again, the corners of his lips turned down in a soft frown.

“I’m supposed to have a date tonight,” he mumbled, and Jackson smiled wide.

“Oh, you are?” he sang, nudging Mark’s shoulder. Mark simply nodded in response, trying to ignore the ever present smirk on Jackson’s lips. He failed. “What’re you planning?”

For a moment there was a silence, Mark leaning with his shoulder against the locker. He looked down.

“I don’t know. I don’t really plan ahead,” he started, but he stopped when Jackson hit him in the shoulder, most likely harder than he should have. Mark just rubbed the spot, brows furrowed as he looked at Jackson.

“Are you serious?” Jackson asked, jaw dropped. Mark nodded again. “Come up with plans. Now. Yesterday. Or I’m going to start making your plans and you don’t want that,” he continued, both brows raised at Mark as he shook his head. “I thought not,” Jackson finished, finally slamming his locker shut. Mark rolled his eyes as the two headed toward their next class. The roar of other students in the hall blocked any words the two could have said to each other, but as they opened the door to the classroom in front of him, Jackson smirked.

“You need help figuring out how to impress her?” he asked, and Mark smiled.

“Of course.”

When the day was finally over Jackson found himself sprawled on Mark’s bed, flipping through a magazine as Mark attempted to find an outfit for his date for the night. Jackson would look up every once in a while, just shooting the other man a thumbs up or down depending on the clothing he’d picked out.

“Jackson, can you help me a bit more?” he asked, and Jackson finally closed the magazine, sighing loudly as he placed it on his chest. He looked at Mark from his spot, though, not even getting up as he pointed at a shirt in his closet.

“Wear that instead,” he offered helpfully, Mark looking at it with an upturned nose and a frown.

“Are you sure?” Mark replied, and Jackson just raised a brow, setting the magazine aside and rolling over onto his stomach as he nodded. He watched as Mark grabbed the shirt, going back to reading his magazine though he stole a couple of glances at the other as he changed. Jackson said nothing, however, until Mark was completely changed and facing him.

“See? You look y,” he said through a smirk, wiggling his brows just a bit. That only made Mark laugh as he turned back to look at the mirror, lips pursed.

“I guess… Why don’t you bring your girlfriend along? We can double date,” he said, but Jackson shook his head.

“She doesn’t do double dates,” he replied, and Mark nodded in understanding. There was a pause, Mark attempting to tuck some of his shirt in and Jackson having stood up to keep it untucked. Eventually Mark sighed, giving up and letting Jackson have his way.

“You sure you don’t wanna come along?” he asked, turning to Jackson and cocking his head. Jackson nodded.

“Yeah. Just tell me how it went when I see you at school tomorrow. I’m sure it’ll be great.” He winked, Mark just rolling his eyes as he grabbed a hat and started walking toward the door. Jackson grabbed his magazine, following Mark out as he folded it and stuffed it in his back pocket.

Jackson unlocked his car door as he watched Mark walk off, sliding into the driver’s seat.

He had no doubt that Mark would have a good time, and he looked forward to finally not being the only one with a girlfriend.