A Sister For You

Stars That Form Constellations

 

"I don't want a sister!" Jongdae protested. "Jung Jongdae" Yunho said firmly. That shut the little six year old up but he kept glaring at his father from the backseat. "You promised to get me a brother" he said with a small voice. "Honey..." Jaejoong started. Yunho shared a worried look before concentrating on the road.

"We know you expected a brother but trust me you'll love a sister even more" Jaejoong explained. "No I won't" Jongdae said miserably. He wanted a little brother that he could play with like he would play with Minseok. He didn't want a stupid sister!

The family spent the remainder of the drive to the orphanage wordlessly. Jongdae felt sad, Jaejoong and Yunho were worried. They got down and Jongdae trailed after them quietly. "We'll do okay right?" Yunho asked Jaejoong in a whisper. They were taking the responsibility of another life who would be totally dependent on them. This wasn't easy despite them really liking the child.

"Welcome Mr. Jung and Mr. Kim" the guardian of the orphanage greeted. The orphanage was a grim place that managed to get by. The man in charge was a bright man who added much needed brightness to the lives of the little children. "Hello again Sir. This is our first child Jongdae" Jaejoong introduced. Jongdae bowed politely when the man smiled at him. "Let's step inside the office and finish the formalities. I just sent Qiuyue up to finish packing" he told them with a smile.

There was silence in the room. Yunho and Jaejoong listened carefully though they remembered the entire procedure from Jongdae's time. But Jongdae had been three months old while Qiuyue, the girl they were going to adopt now, was already five years old. Or so they believed. No one knew when her birthday was. As soon as they finished signing the papers, the guardian sent for Qiuyue.

A moment later the little girl in question walked in. She was wearing her best sunday frock and holding a little piece of paper in her hand. She was followed by a boy who looked to be her age. He was helping her carry her tiny bag. Jaejoong unconsciously took Yunho's hand. She was their daughter now.

"Qiuyue meet your new family" the guardian said happily. "These two will be your baba and appa. And that is your gege" he said pointing everyone out. "Yunho-si, Jaejoong-si there is your new daughter Qiuyue. And the boy behind her is Luhan. He is her best friend here" he explained.

"Hello" Jaejoong greeted bending down to their level. "Hello" she greeted with a bow. Jaejoong smiled and she felt better. "Are you ready to go home?" he asked her. She nodded shyly, looking over to Luhan. Luhan ended up doing a hwaiting! pose to cheer Qiuyue up. She clutched her piece of paper tightly.

"Say hi to your sister" Yunho prompted his son. Jongdae went ahead unwillingly. He glanced at Luhan who was watching him warily. "Hi gege" she said with a smile. Jaejoong put his hand around her for support. Even Yunho smiled at her and patted her head. Jongdae didn't like that. That was meant only for him!

"I don't like you! I don't want you to come here!" he yelled angrily. He pushed past his parents and ran out. Yunho went after him calling out for him. Jaejoong looked apologetic and Qiuyue's face fell. She stepped away from him and went to Luhan instead. Her eyes got watery and Jaejoong could tell she was trying not to cry.

"It takes some time for the elder kids to adjust to the young ones" the guardian tried to assure Jaejoong. "Qiuyue, your gege will really like you" he tried to assure the small child. "He already hates her" Luhan pointed out crossly. He didn't get why. Qiuyue was a wonderful meimei to have.

"Qiuyue... please give Jongdae some time. I am sure your brother will like you a lot just like we do" Jaejoong assured her. "You promise?" Luhan asked for her. Jaejoong nodded. "You are so nice. Why wouldn't he? We'll win him over okay?" Jaejoong promised. Luhan looked at Qiuyue who didn't look so convinced. He nudged her forward slightly and Jaejoong hugged her hoping it would meet her feel better. "Let's go find your appa and gege and go home?" Jaejoong asked. "Can Luhan gege come?" Qiuyue asked. "We'll drop you off" the guardian promised.

The four of them walked outside to the car park. Jaejoong saw Yunho carrying Jongdae in a distance and waved for them to come over. He took Qiuyue's bag from Luhan and put it in the car. Yunho came over to help. "You'll come visit right?" Luhan asked. Jaejoong was reminded of the fact that the little kid was in fact just five. "You won't forget me right?"  he asked her hesitantly. "No!" Qiuyue quickly answered. "I'll come back and play with you" she promised as she hugged him. The guardian looked helplessly at the parents who smiled to assure him it was okay.

"She could just stay here with him"  Jongdae muttered under his breath. He went and sat inside the car first. Jaejoong helped Qiuyue in before getting into the passenger seat himself. Yunho assured her that their house was not very far away and she could come play with Luhan again. He looked through the rearview mirror to see Qiuyue nod and hold the little piece of paper closer to herself. 

Jongdae looked over sneakily. He saw that the paper in her hand was a drawing. He could make out two stick figures. One had the words "meimei" and the other had "luhan gege" written over it. He scoffed at the quality of the drawing. Then he looked up a little to see her crying silently. He frowned. He didn't like her but he didn't want her to cry...

He didn't say anything,  finding it very awkward. He kicked his legs wondering when he could get home so he could go play with Minseok hyung. He had promised him a little brother, Jongdae realized. What would Minseok hyung think? Would he find him a liar now?

 

-x-

 

 

 

A/N - I couldn't resist the Yunjae. It was either them or Hanchul. I just couldn't choose till I wrote it down.