Chapter 12

Paper Planes

Chapter 12

 

Eighteen years

 

Jungkook pouted even as his hyung kissed him softly on the lips. “Why are you mad, Kookie-ah?” Taehyung asked, cupping Jungkook’s soft and chubby cheeks. The younger only puffed air into his cheeks and held his breath indicating that he didn’t want to answer.

“I promise I’ll be back before the 30th of December. Then we can celebrate my birthday together, okay?” Taehyung said a little pathetically, trying to please his pissed off boyfriend. Jungkook still didn’t reply and refused to look at him.

Taehyung sighed in defeat. Jungkook was too adorable for words.

“Kookie-ah. Talk to me please. I promise we’ll celebrate my birthday together. I’ll be gone for just four days,” Jungkook finally looked at the cotton colored haired boy and gave his best puppy dog eyes. “Don’t do that,” Taehyung begged. “It’s not going to work.” But it was definitely making Taehyung’s knees weak.

“Why?” Jungkook asked cutely referring to why Taehyung had to leave right after Christmas.

Taehyung smiled at him. “Because a very nice man is going to help us, Kookie-ah. And he wants to meet me.” Jungkook went back to pouting. “No!” he yelled.

“Jeon Jungkook,” Taehyung said with a sympathetic smile. “This nice man is going to help you get better.”Jungkook turned a little sad and tugged the edge of Taehyung’s sweater. “Don’t go, hyung,” he said quietly.

“You know I can’t do that. I’m just so grateful to this person that I’m willing to do anything for him at the moment. Please understand, Kookie-ah. He’s helping you get better. Don’t you want to get better?” Taehyung asked. Jungkook nodded slowly. “Kookie wants to get better and be with hyung,” he replied.

Taehyung caressed his lover’s smooth face. “I promise I’ll come back as soon as I can.” Jungkook finally nodded and let go. “Okay.”  Taehyung kissed the edge of Jungkook’s nose. “I love you, Jeon Jungkook.” The younger turned red and cringed. “Hyuuung!”

 

 

 

Taehyung replayed the talk he had with his uncle the previous day.

“He was the one who volunteered to give his heart, Taehyung. He’s a nice person.” Taehyung had to ask. “But why did he agree to do this?”

“You can ask him personally, Taehyung-ah. He wants to meet you and Jungkook,” his uncle replied. An overjoyed smile passed his lips. “Okay. Okay. I’ll be there.” And they set the time and place.

Taehyung found out that the donor was a patient in his uncle’s hospital so they agreed through mail to meet in his room. After exchanging a few e-mails about when and where they would meet, Taehyung asked what his name was.

“Park Jimin.” The text on his screen read.

 

 

 

Taehyung scanned the hospital halls for a room 205. “Two zero five, two zero five,” he repeated so that he wouldn’t forget. And finally, he found it on the third floor.

The nameplate on beside the door was clearly written.

“Patient’s name - Park Jimin

Gender – Male    Age – 18”

Taehyung blinked a couple of times before knocking. He had no idea that the donor was so young.

 

 

A man, who was noticeably shorter than Taehyung opened the door and let him in. He had white skin but it didn’t seem unhealthy. The man’s eyes were small and judging from the crinkles beside them, it suggested that he laughed often. He had shining brown hair and his facial features were good enough for him to be a model.

“Hi,” another person said. Taehyung turned towards the voice and saw a baby faced boy on the bed, a book in his hands which he slowly placed down on his lap. He had dark straight hair. He had an adorable face which was only comparable to infants’ and his eyes turned to mere splits when he smiled at him. Was this kid the donor? That can’t be right, Taehyung looked at the boy, astonished. He still has baby fat on his face, for God’s sake.

“You must be Kim Taehyung,” the boy on the bed said and climbed off the bed only to be assisted by the brown haired model looking guy. Taehyung bowed and offered his hand for a handshake.

“I’m Park Jimin. And this is Min Yoongi, my best friend. I hope you don’t mind him being here.” The dark haired boy said, suggesting at the man beside him. Taehyung only shook his head and accepted the brown haired male’s hand.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. Kim Taehyung. I’m Min Yoongi,” the guy smiled. Taehyung was right. He had a really nice eye smile.

 

 

As Jimin and Taehyung sat down to talk, Yoongi brought in juice from the vending machine outside. “Thank you,” Taehyung said and accepted the drink offered to him.

“So,” Jimin said excitedly. “You’re in high school?” Taehyung nodded. The baby faced boy continued. “So am I. Yoongi hyung here is in college.” Taehyung continued to nod and listen.

“It’s a shame Jungkook ssi couldn’t come,” Jimin said and took a sip of his juice. “I kind of wanted to meet him. Judging from your uncle’s stories, he seems like a sweet fellow.” Taehyung smiled apologetically. “I’m really sorry he couldn’t make it. He’s still a little weak from a cold he recently caught.” Jimin only shook his head with that charming eye smile.

 

 

The topics switched constantly until they reached the topic of why they were really there.

“I’m really grateful that you’re willing to help Jungkook but could I just ask why you chose him? I mean, there are many other patients who are in dire need of a donor,” Taehyung asked, the temperature of the room dropping drastically. Yoongi shot a quick worried glanced at Jimin but the younger didn’t seem to notice.

“When I came to this hospital, my fate was sealed. Brain tumor, they said. It wasn’t very serious at first but I didn’t have money for the treatment. So I decided to live life to the fullest by helping others. That was when I heard of Dr. Park searching for a heart donor. I knew that my brain wasn’t very good but my heart was still plenty healthy. So I decided to volunteer,” Jimin said with no regrets at all.

“Then Mr. Park told me of your story,” Jimin said, his eyes disappearing into crescents again. “It touched me. So, I decided to help. Of course, you can have my heart only after I’m dead, though,” he joked but no one laughed. Jimin didn’t really mind.

Taehyung knew he should stop talking because he might be offending Jimin but he couldn’t. “Are your parents okay with it?” If Jimin was offended, he showed no signs of it and answered with a straight face. “Both my parents are dead. Dad also died of brain tumor while mom died when I was born.”

“I’m really sorry,” Taehyung apologized, vowing never to open his stupid mouth again. “All my loved ones are dead,” Jimin suddenly said, his voice going grave. It was only for a second but it made Yoongi flinch. Taehyung noticed.

“Ahhh,” Jimin said, returning to his cheery self. “What am I saying? Forgive me. Sometimes I just tend to start talking to myself.” Taehyung shook his head and said that it was alright. Yoongi only gave a smile.

 

 

An hour passed and Yoongi slowly tucked the covers around a sleeping Jimin. Taehyung couldn’t help but notice the elder’s protective gaze on the younger. And he also noticed something else about his gaze. It was affection and longing. He noticed it because he had the same look when it came to Jungkook.

“Hey,” Yoongi said softly. Taehyung’s ears perked up. “Wanna go downstairs and grab something to eat?”

 

 

The two companions sat down a table with cups of warm coffee in one hand. Taehyung had a chocolate chip cookie in his other hand while Yoongi held a cucumber sandwich. The awkward tension between the two was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. But neither knew what to talk about.

Being the elder one, Yoongi decided to begin. “I’m sorry if Jimin made you feel weird. He’s an idiot, that kid.” Taehyung shook his head, “Not at all. I think he’s really nice.” The mere sentence made Yoongi seem like he dropped a bundle of weights from his shoulders.

“Yeah. He’s a really nice person. He’s so thick headed and stupid but deep down inside, he’s got a great heart. I don’t mean anything but the truth when I say this but Jungkook ssi really is a lucky person to get Jimin’s heart,” Yoongi poured out. Then he turned to the pink haired boy and gave a dazzling smile. But Taehyung knew that look all too well.

“I don’t mean to pry, Yoongi ssi, but have you considered telling him how you felt about the whole situation?” Taehyung asked.

Yoongi snorted. “It’s not like he’ll listen. He’s really stubborn once he’s made a decision.”

Taehyung let the brown haired male before him continue. “You know, we were friends since kindergarten. And not once did he realize or even notice that…” Yoongi sighed at this point. “He’s just so stupid and bloody thick headed. Did you know, often at times I felt like wringing his neck till he can’t breathe just so that…” he sighed again.

“I’m sorry for ranting on, Taehyung ssi,” he apologized and tugged at his own hair. Taehyung gave a sympathetic smile. “It’s alright. I like listening.”

Yoongi returned the smile and changed the topic. He said that he wanted to meet Jungkook. “How is he?” Yoongi asked. Taehyung’s face lit up immediately. Realizing that the elder was waiting for an answer, Taehyung replied, “He’s a wonderful person. And honestly speaking, if I were to describe him, I could go on for hours.”

Both of them shared a laugh to realize how similar their situations were. There they were, in love with two very different people but in the same way, very alike as well. The only difference was that Jungkook’s fate wasn’t sealed yet. Jungkook still had a second chance. And knowing this didn’t make any of the any one feel any better.

“Let’s head back,” Yoongi suggested and crushed the white tissue paper in his hands. “That little idiot gets lonely even when he’s sleeping.” Taehyung chuckled. It was bittersweet to see a person so in love but being unable to do anything about it.

 

 

 

The trio exchanged numbers as they were about to say their farewell. Taehyung bowed multiple times making Jimin laugh louder than necessary. Yoongi only scolded Jimin for being too loud but Taehyung could see in Yoongi’s eyes that he didn’t mean it.

Taehyung shook their hands one last time. “Thank you so much again,” he expressed his gratitude. Jimin’s smile never faltered as they walked him to the elevator. Yoongi just stood behind Jimin, often watching out where the younger stepped and smiled occasionally.

 

 

“I really hope I can meet Jungkook the next time we meet,” Jimin said when Taehyung pressed the elevator button. Taehyung beamed an anticipating grin and said that they’d definitely meet the next time.

Ding!

Taehyung stepped into the elevator. He took one last look at the petite ‘couple’ and called out for Yoongi, startling him a little. Taehyung smiled gratefully and shared a piece of advice. “You should tell him how you feel even if he won’t listen.” Yoongi just rolled his eyes but couldn’t hide the smile on his thin but perfectly shaped lips.

The elevator door closed. Jimin turned to Yoongi, his smile immediately wiped off. “He’s a nice person,” he said, his face warping into a sad look. Yoongi sighed and held the younger’s shoulder as they walked back to their hospital room. “Yeah, he is,” he replied. “And I like the color of his hair. It was exciting.” Yoongi merely chuckled.

Yoongi held the door open for his friend and unrequited love.”By the way, what did he mean by “telling him how you feel”? Whom are we talking about here?” Jimin asked.

 Yoongi took a deep breath. “Jiminnie?” he called out as the younger walked in and climbed back up on the bed. “I have something to tell you.”

 

 

 

Taehyung lopped down the hotel bed on his back. Looking at the room clock, he read out the time. “Five o’clock.”

Realizing that it was late, he decided to wipe the fake smile off his face. He felt bad for Jimin. He was still so young but the said boy seemed to handle his illness well. His sympathy and worry then turned to Yoongi.

Taehyung recalled Yoongi saying that he and Jimin had been friends since kindergarten. How long did he love Jimin silently? He thought as his mind drifted off even further. Did Yoongi take his advise into consideration? Will Jimin ever know of his hyung’s feelings?

His stomach suddenly churned in a familiar way. He was hungry. But he decided to put it off because his heart ached too. Why did he have to be such an emotional idiot, always minding others’ business and getting himself a heart ache?

 

 

It was nine in the morning. Taehyung woke up with a lazy yawn and checked his phone for any mails or calls.

Seven missed calls and nine messages. Most of them were from his parents while two messages were from Hoseok and Namjoon. He opened the one from Hoseok first.

“Hey, Taehyung. We’re planning to meet up on New Year’s. In or out? If you’re coming, bring Jungkook too.”

He closed the message as soon as he read it. He wasn’t in the mood yet.

The next one was from Namjoon.

“I’m seriously wrecking my amazing brains on what to get you for your birthday. Seriously, what do you want?”

Taehyung chuckled silently and put down his phone on the bed. Oh yeah, he promised to be back by his birthday, didn’t he? He imagined what his parents and Jungkook would be doing at the moment. Judging from the time, Jungkook would be awake, playing with the origami toys in his room or drawing something extremely wonderful. And his parents would be at the orphanage by then, taking care of the children, greeting all the people one by one with cheery smiles. And Jin? Well, Jin would be Jin, nagging the children, advising them to behave but deep down inside, he would be having fun being with the kids.

Missing home a little too much even thought it had been only two days, he picked up the phone and dialed his mom’s number.

“Hello, Tae-ah,” his mother answered, her voice happy but a little tired.

“Morning mom,” Taehyung wished before adding, “You sound tired.”

“Oh yeah. Jungkook got a mild case of fever last night so I ended up taking care of him. But don’t worry. It’s gone down now.” Taehyung worried for his mother’s health. “Don’t overwork yourself, mom.” He heard his mother laugh. “Alright dear.”

He felt guilty for asking but he asked anyway. “Is Jungkook there?” Another stream of cheerful and teasing giggles was heard. “He’s still asleep. I’ll call you when he wakes up.”

Taehyung was quick to counteract. “That’s alright, mom. Besides, I’m coming back tonight.” “Omo, aren’t you tired? Why don’t take proper rest and come back tomorrow?” he heard his mother say.

“Mom,” his tone suddenly changed to a suspicious one. “Did you forget that tomorrow is my birthday? Or wait, are you stalling me just so you can buy my gift today?” His mother laughed nervously. “Of course not, sweetie. I already have everything ready for my favorite son.”

“Mom,” Taehyung said blatantly. “I’m your only son.”

“I’m joking, Tae-ah. Hurry home, okay?” Taehyung agreed to do exactly that and ended the call with an “I love you. Bye.”

 

 

 

 

Taehyung stared out the taxi’s window then at his phone. It was exactly forty minutes past ten in the evening. He was a little later than expected but at least it hadn’t struck midnight yet. So technically, I’ll be here before my birthday, he thought and patted himself on the back mentally. See Kookie? I kept my promise.

He desperately missed Jungkook. It was a few days back that Jungkook announced to Taehyung that he had made something for his birthday. Being ever so curious, Taehyung asked what it was but Jungkook just blushed and said that it was a surprise.

So it was completely by mistake that Taehyung came across an artwork while he was cleaning Jungkook’s table after the said male fell asleep. It was stuck between two pages of Jungkook’s art book. But since it was sticking out, Taehyung just had to see it.

Calling it beautiful was not doing it justice. The picture was of their tree in full bloom. Every leaf was amazingly detailed, the branches were sticking out in the perfect places and the shading made the art work resemble a black-and-white photograph. Under the tree were two red flowers with stems, and leaves and all, one was larger than the other. The smaller flower seemed to take shade and protection of the bigger one. On the left side of the flowers was a very simple paper plane but it meant the world to the viewer.

Taehyung wasn’t an artist like Jungkook nor did he understand what different artistic symbols meant. But that picture immediately made sense to him. The two flowers depicted him and Jungkook, him being the larger one. Taehyung had a strange reasoning that the flowers were also an abstract meaning of everlasting growth and freshness, portraying Jungkook’s desire for their love and friendship to grow. The paper plane simply added to the simplicity of the drawing and Taehyung was, for once, proud of his ‘artistic deductions’ skill.

Finally, on the edge of the paper, on the right side, he noticed some squiggles. It was barely legible but he could manage to understand it.

“Taetae hyung

Happy birthday

I love you

-Jungkook”

The handwriting was horrible. Some letters were bigger than others, they weren’t in the same lines, and the alphabets were crooked at some parts. All in all, it was worse than a five year old child’s. But that didn’t matter. Because it was definitely the most beautiful thing that he had ever seen, like the artist himself.

Tucking the drawing back in between the pages, Taehyung promised that he would be surprised and awed when Jungkook gave him his present.

 

 

The taxi sped away after Taehyung paid the driver and thanked him. He checked his phone for the nth time and saw that it was exactly eleven fifty p.m. He slung his grey bag on his shoulders and made his way to the house when he saw the orphanage lights still on. Did Jin forget to turn it off?

As he got nearer, he heard the hustling of people. What were they doing in the middle of the night? Then from the distance, he saw a familiar looking face and his body became as cold as ice. It was Jungkook’s doctor.

 

 

Taehyung dashed into the clinic and saw that most of the nurses were rushing to get some medicines or trying to calm the awoken children in the orphanage. He didn’t have time to ask what was wrong because deep down inside, he already knew the answer.

He sprinted down the hallway to the room where two to three nurses stood outside with their eyes wide in fear. Taehyung was too much in fear and denial to even pray anymore.

One would think that Taehyung saw his parents when he reached the opened door. After all, they were standing beside the bed, looking down at the person on the bed. They had tears in their eyes, including Mr. Kim who was known to be very conserved and cheerful.

But Taehyung’s eyes only saw the boy on the bed as his ears ringed. He didn’t know if the ringing was because of his sudden hundred meter sprint or because of the heart monitor that was on the table beside the bed.

The boy on the bed lay motionless on top of the white bed sheet. His eyes didn’t even flicker and it remained closed. His jet black hair, ever so smooth, stuck onto his forehead due to the drying sweat. And somewhere in between the people in the room, from the angle of the door, Taehyung saw the lying boy’s hand, hanging down from the bed, lifeless and pale.

 

 

 

“Name: Jeon Jungkook,” Taehyung heard a trembling voice. Later on he realized that it was Jungkook’s doctor who said this but at that moment, it didn’t matter.

 

A stream of tears rolled down his cheeks but he was too numb to wipe it off.

 

 

“Time of death: twelve o one a.m, December 30. Age, seventeen.”