Lost, Found, Lost

Fairy and the Frog

Hey so because I take forever to write here is a brief summary to remind you of what's happened:

Onew is a fairy king, Taemin is his son, Key is Onew's fairy advisor, while Jonghyun is Key's loyal fairy pet dog (only not really he's a shifter and Key's mate), Minho is a frog (cause curses are real) and king of the swamp Kingdom.

Minho threatens Onew with war to get Taemin to marry him. He thinks Taemin is a princess and is shocked to find out he's not after he made Taemin marry him before meeting him. Minho blames Taemin for the misunderstanding. Wonderful first impressions all around.

The marriage cannot be annulled for a year because of rules. Mainly ones stating that magical royalty have to stay married for a year unless they want to cause havoc to the flow of magic its self. Onew returns the fairy kingdom and leaves Key because something is fishy in swamp land. Taemin and Minho lay down rules since they are stuck with each other.

Key makes friends with the palace cooks and Minho finds Taemin dancing. Minho likes watching Taemin dance but doesn't like watching others dance with Taemin. Jonghyun spies but Key is worried so he leaves Taemin alone. Minho asks Taemin to accompany him on a border patrol and Taemin says yes.

And that's where we are. On with the chapter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key was about two seconds away from a complete and total melt down as he paced across the small sitting area of his provided rooms. He reread the note master Tub had given him when he gone to prepare a late lunch for Taemin and himself for the millionth time.

 

Hey Umma,

            So Frogface asked if I’d like to accompany him to the northern border. I’m assuming it’s to check on the defenses and improve moral. Which is kinda surprising because who knew he could be a responsible monarch? Anyway, um, I said yes, to going with him that is, so don’t freak out. Minho said we’d be back by tomorrow afternoon. You don’t need to come after me. I’ll be perfectly safe, I think. Take care of Jonghyun and enjoy your lunch.

                                                                                                Taemin

 

How the hell was he supposed to enjoy his lunch! After he had received the letter and read it for the first time, Key had flown off to the stables hoping he’d be able to stop Taemin. In his haste, however, he got slightly turned about and ended up in the library. By the time he got to the stables, after he asked for directions, he was told that the King and the Royal Consort had already been gone for several hours. Key would have flown after them except…Jonghyun.

 

Key’s entire day had been thrown off because of that stupid puppy. Something had happened soon after Key and Taemin had entered the ballroom that had utterly cut off his connection to his mate. There had been no sense of danger beforehand, so Key had tried not to panic. Obviously, that had been futile to attempt since even Taemin had noticed his unease, and the kid was mostly oblivious to such things.

 

When Taemin sent him to check on Jonghyun he was honestly relieved, that is, until he realized that he had no clue where Jonghyun was. Which was the crux of his problem, HE. COULD. NOT. FEEL. HIS. MATE. It was all kinds of wrong. And it’s not like he could go running around the castle asking if anyone had seen his dog since there was no guarantee Jonghyun was a dog!

 

Key flopped into an arm chair, crumpled the note and threw it across the room feeling absolutely helpless, tears of frustration starting to leak from his eyes. At this point if either man showed up in front of him he’d strangle them.  

 

Suddenly, he was being gathered into familiar strong arms, “Kibum, shh, what’s wrong baby?” Instead of strangling the puppy-eyed shifter, whom had somehow materialized in front of him without his notice, the fairy advisor threw his arms around his neck, clinging tightly, as a feeling of home and rightness settled deep in his chest once again. Jonghyun just let him and responded in kind.

 

Once Key felt whole again he whacked Jonghyun on the chest, “Where the hell have you been?!”

 

Jonghyun gave his mate a puzzled look, “I’ve been spying on Minho’s advisors all day. Isn’t that what you wanted me to do?”

 

The fairy huffed, “Yes, but you, what happened?”

 

 “Nothing really?” Jonghyun frowned, feeling his mate’s anxiety, “Minho swaggered off and then his advisors spent the rest of the day searching through books.”

 

“That’s not what I mean,” Key fisted his hand into the shifter’s shirt looking at the connection as if to reassure himself that Jonghyun was really there kneeling in front of him. Jonghyun placed his hands on Key’s thighs and leaned forward as Key whispered, “I couldn’t feel you,” He looked up then into Jonghyun’s puppy eyes, “It felt like, if felt like you, like you…”

 

Realization dawned on the shifter and he pulled him into a hug again, “I’m not dead, Key. I’m right here and I’m fine. I’ve been fine all day.” Jonghyun ran his hand soothingly up his mate’s back and through his hair.

 

Key half-heartily tried to pull away but instead ended up mumbling into Jonghyun’s neck “Why weren’t you freaked?” He did pull back then to look searchingly through his mate’s eyes, “Didn’t you feel our bound break?”

 

Jonghyun looked away a little sheepish, “Well no, actually I didn’t notice anything was off.”

 

Key’s glare held a mixture of hurt, betrayal, and anger as a niggling suspicion that his mate had been lying to him all these years started to form.

 

The shifter, noticing, quickly expounded, “No, Key, it’s not like that. I didn’t feel a difference because in some shift forms I can’t feel complicated emotions. In fact, sometimes I have to even struggle to maintain coherent thought.”

 

Key visibly relaxed, reassured that Jonghyun felt the bond because of the explanation that clearly responded to his emotions, and then he smirked, “You were a gnat, weren’t you?”

 

“What else was I supposed to be? This whole place is full of cognizant insects, small animals, and a freaking alligator,” Jonghyun defended.

 

Through a loud laugh at his mate’s indignation, and possibly some pent-up hysterics, Key managed to ask, “Where did you see the alligator?”

 

“He’s one of Minho’s advisors,” the shifter said as he pulled Key out of the chair only to sit in it himself and pull the fairy back into his lap. Getting more comfortable, now that Key had calmed down, “He hides in the East wing garden. I have no idea why Minho is so protective of that place. Other than the alligator advisor, the only thing there is the dandelion growing in the center of a half built tower.”

 

Key snuggled into his mate, “that is strange. So did you figure anything out?”

 

“Umm, I did,” Jonghyun said resting his chin on Key’s shoulder, “and I’ll tell you, but I’d rather get some food in my stomach first. I haven’t eaten since breakfast.”

 

“Aww, my poor hungry puppy,” Key said patting the shifter’s cheek.

 

“I am a poor puppy. Now, come on, let’s grab Taemin and go eat,” Jonghyun shifted to get them both up only to pause when Key stiffened.

 

“Taemin’s not, he won’t,” Key paused to try and unclench his jaw, “Taemin ran off with the Frog and won’t be joining us tonight.”

 

Jonghyun was shocked, “Ran off with the Frog? Kibum, do you mean the Frog who went to the northern border even though his advisors were against him going?!”

 

Key’s eyes opened wide in worry. Maybe Jonghyun should have left out the ‘against him going part’. Before his mate could start panicking the shifter held the fairy closer, turning him slightly so Key could snuggle into Jonghyun’s neck.

 

“It’s okay, Kibummie. We’re going to grab some dinner and then discuss what I found out today,” Joghyun said knowing the only way he was going to keep Key calm was by keeping him busy.

 

Key huffed signaling that he was getting closer to planning Taemin’s punishment when he returned than planning his funeral if he didn’t.

 

Jonghyun smiled considering it a success, “Besides, it’s not like the two went by themselves. I’m sure Taemin will be fine.”

 

~

 

Taemin was not fine. He was so far from fine; the word might as well be on a different continent. No a different planet.

 

“Minho! Seungho!” he yelled high pitched and panicky as he flew through the dense fog that had separated him from the rest of the party as night fell. That wasn’t even the worse part; the worse part was that a bird, apparently a normal one, was chasing him with a predator’s intent not getting the memo that he was a fairy prince and not food.

 

“Minho! Stupid Frog Face! Where are you?!” He frantically scanned the ground trying to find a trace of anyone, which, unfortunately, made it so he didn’t see the tree trunk that materialized out of the fog. He hit it with full force and was subsequently knocked unconscious. The last thing he saw was the bird diving after him as he was engulfed by marshy water.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so I'm sorry it's short and I'm sorry I take forever and I'm slightly sorry about the cliff hanger. This was mainly a JongKey fluff chapter but it was cute right? I was trying to make this longer but school is kicking my and I really just wanted to give you guys something. Thank you all for subscribing or just reading. It makes me happy and so do comments when you leave them. I'll try my hardest to get the next chapter up sooner but I'm not going to make any promises. Thank you all again.